Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The Daredevil hallway scene is relatively tame, as far as violence goes.

That jail scene wasn't :black101:

Also yeah, even if they are hyping some big badass fight scene for season 5, I just can't get excited about it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those two aren't one shots.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is it just going to be Ollie making an emotional speech and then limply hitting each other and pretending a bow can be used as a melee weapon? Cause that's been the choreography since season two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's an era of the GA comics that this show has heavily borrowed from, issues 60-75 of the Judd Winnick run from 2007 or so. And one of the major changes they made to Ollie then was he started carrying a loving sword, something tv Ollie should have been doing from the second it was revealed that Slade Wilson trained him in swordplay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy hangs out with the Flash but his bow made by black hole time scientists being useable as a club is unrealistic.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's kind of loving stupid that they gave Arsenal a pair of escrima sticks and he got clowned the only time he tried to use them. Meanwhile Ollie held his own against Slade in season 2 with said pair and no one thought "hey maybe we should give Oliver a pair of those!"

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No he has to have a bow because hes the arrow! Thats why he hits people with it instead of shooting any arrows.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

The season 2 hallway/stairwell scene is pretty drat violent.

The thing about Daredevil's fights is they're violent, but realistic. It's a bunch of guys getting punched for realsies, over and over, until they're too busy groaning and being in pain to get up. For several minutes.

It's not the high-octane glamorous fight scenes you usually see, it's just a camera following Matt around during an ugly slugfest where he beats up like an entire warehouse of dudes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking of, I was looking at articles about the stairway fight yesterday and they said that to reduce the number of people in the area since it was on location rather than on a set like season 1, they chose to have them keep getting up and coming back into the fight instead of the TV standard of the enemy flood.

I remember while watching it that seemed pretty unique and cool. It's not as easy to knock people out as TV usually portrays, so those bikers getting up over and over to get back in was a nice change of pace from the usual.

Shame about every other fight Matt has in the show beyond that episode though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Rhyno posted:

There's an era of the GA comics that this show has heavily borrowed from, issues 60-75 of the Judd Winnick run from 2007 or so. And one of the major changes they made to Ollie then was he started carrying a loving sword, something tv Ollie should have been doing from the second it was revealed that Slade Wilson trained him in swordplay.

Not to mention the training he got from Merlyn, Thea, and Ra's al Ghul. If his no-kill rule lets him shoot arrows into people's legs, he shouldn't have much of a problem slicing a few dudes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Not to mention the training he got from Merlyn, Thea, and Ra's al Ghul. If his no-kill rule lets him shoot arrows into people's legs, he shouldn't have much of a problem slicing a few dudes.

Yeah no poo poo. Plus Amell has shown he can convincingly fight with assorted weapons, just give him a drat blade! They could even play it like that "your teacher and greatest foe carried steel, perhaps you should as well" and let him adopt the dual short swords for himself.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 26, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Plus Amell has shown he can convincingly fight with assorted weapons, just give him a drat blade! They could even play it like that "your teacher and greatest foe carried steel, perhaps you should as well" and let him adopt the dual short swords for himself.

Which one was his greatest foe? Cause the immortal wizard who was like 30 seconds away from wiping out humanity with nuclear weapons didn't carry a sword

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boom boom boom posted:

Which one was his greatest foe? Cause the immortal wizard who was like 30 seconds away from wiping out humanity with nuclear weapons didn't carry a sword

Well let's see, who carried swords and killed his mother?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

A sword might make sense with Ollie's training, but he doesn't want to kill anybody and a sword makes that tricky. I have absolutely no problem accepting that his special bow is designed in such a way as to make it an effective melee weapon, and I would find it less credible for him to continue his no-kill policy while stabbing fools with swords (or worse, just whacking people with the sword like a club).

At least with the arrows there's the necessity of range, and his aim has been established as good enough that he can put them all in shoulders and knees. A sword wound is going to be much larger.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Well let's see, who carried swords and killed his mother?

Batman

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Escrima sticks. Problem solved :colbert:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Scyantific posted:

Escrima sticks. Problem solved :colbert:

Agreed, though I wonder if they're wary of using those because of direct Daredevil comparisons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But then where does he put the bow?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

Agreed, though I wonder if they're wary of using those because of direct Daredevil comparisons.

Who cares, though. Season 1 Arrow had him sparring with Slade on the island with them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chokes McGee posted:

The thing about Daredevil's fights is they're violent, but realistic.

No they're not.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

No they're not.

Look at this chump never fought a horde of ninjas before. Let me tell you from experience; they nailed it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tiggum posted:

No they're not.

They filmed some of them as realistic as possible which was a huge draw for the first season. Everyone I knew couldn't shut up about the fights.

Somewhere in season 2 it devolved into ninjas appearing and disappearing and huge multi minute spin kick fights with zero stakes that were just plain boring.

But him punching that dude in the rain or stuff from the first season I'd call realistic but I'm afraid they are headed toward the Arrow Season Finale level of "Everyone stands in a semi circle around a dude that's flailing a stick around as the fight music plays" or "60 guys with automatic weapons stand and wait to get punched and fall down after being swatted"

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I've been rewatching this on Netflix. Season 1 was okay but season 2 is so good ugggghhh what happened.

edit: fixed for stupid

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 28, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Cause Manu Bennett saw the writing on the wall and bailed before he had to deal with what a pussy Ollie became.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He joined MTV LOTR, so I don't think Manu Bennett sees anything but dollar signs.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ManSedan posted:

I've been rewarding this on Netflix. Season 1 was okay but season 2 is so good ugggghhh what happened.

Rewarding really is a good term for it.

I remember when Season 2 led to the entire thread going WOOOOO THIS IS THE BEST SHOW! SO IMPROVED SO MUCH LIKE

We all thought the show had taken The Leap to great TV storytelling. Now we know is what a leap off a cliff. And no amount of magical asian herbs can bring it back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Tyler Ritter has been cast as 'Detective Malone'

quote:

Arrow is adding another new face for season five.

The CW's DC Comics drama has cast Tyler Ritter in a recurring role, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Ritter will play Detective Malone, a new addition to the Star City Police Department following Captain Lance's (Paul Blackthorne) departure from the squad last season.

But just because Lance is no longer working for the SCPD and both of his daughters are gone — one is dead and the other is off time-traveling on Legends of Tomorrow — doesn't mean that Blackthorne will have a smaller role to play in season five. He is still a series regular, so expect to see Lance continue to play a major part in the story.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I found out last week that the actor who plays Damien Dahrk also played M.Bison in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. They should just say "gently caress it!" and have M.Bison be the villain of season 5. Capcom could probably do with the money.

He also voiced Arrow a few years ago and obviously wound up playing an Arrow villian. Is there a term for that? Cast irony?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lance is just going to be crashing in the Arrow Cave, isn't he? Leaving beer bottles around and bringing over skanky Tinder dates.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope the nickname of the new detective is "Matches" to pave the way for Batman to appear in Arrow

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Death Zebra posted:

I found out last week that the actor who plays Damien Dahrk also played M.Bison in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. They should just say "gently caress it!" and have M.Bison be the villain of season 5. Capcom could probably do with the money.

He also voiced Arrow a few years ago and obviously wound up playing an Arrow villian. Is there a term for that? Cast irony?

He was also the villain in Walking Tall, a villain in Justified, and was also Dum Dum Dugan in Captain America & Agent Carter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Logically Lance should be a private investigator next season.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

And he should have picked up some magic tricks from Darhk and Constantine over the summer.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Klungar posted:

And he should have picked up some magic tricks from Darhk and Constantine over the summer.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scyantific posted:

He was also the villain in Walking Tall, a villain in Justified, and was also Dum Dum Dugan in Captain America & Agent Carter.

And he voiced Deadshot in Batman: Assault on Arkham, which will almost certainly be a better Suicide Squad movie than the forthcoming Suicide Squad movie, with a much cooler portrayal of Deadshot than Will Smith will probably be.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Scyantific posted:

His death is cool as poo poo in Justified.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

His death is cool as poo poo in Justified.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Quarles was the third best villain on Justified after Boyd and Mags. And he played Darhk very similarly to Quarles, only with less drug addiction and rape.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Neal McDonough is a goddamned treasure. He's been in everything. From Star Trek First Contact to that pretty bland movie version of Timeline, though I always think of him from Band of Brothers.

His cheerful sadism saved S4 from being the worst season and he really out acted everyone else in the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Quarles was the third best villain on Justified after Boyd and Mags. And he played Darhk very similarly to Quarles, only with less drug addiction and rape.

Justifed had the best villains ever. Boyd might be the greatest TV antagonist of all time.

• Locked thread