Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

How the heck did this guy not get sued for false advertising?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

At the political formation of the US, they held a vote to determine whether the official language would be English or German because the population of German immigrants was so high.

Obviously they made the right choice. German is not a v. good language.

You guys made a mistake. I speak Dutch, German and English, and I can 100% confirm English is like the shittiest language ever conceived

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
most american whites are euromixed nowadays. havent met one that wasn't. seems like those rural areas might be full of pure blooded germans though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm purebred German born in the USA. feels good man

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

VideoGames posted:

he was in trouble a shitload of times for outright lying but nothing ever amounted to more than a strongly worded letter.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Chernobyl baby posted:

You guys made a mistake. I speak Dutch, German and English, and I can 100% confirm English is like the shittiest language ever conceived

Idk about Dutch but English kicks the poo poo out of German 10 ways to Sunday. English adapts and steals/adds words from other languages. You can butcher the hell out of it and still get your message across. Yeah, it's hard to learn because it has wishy washy rules but that's what makes it evolve so well. German is just as rigid and rules based as the Germans.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Brannock posted:

Wow the country that's 98.3% immigrants or descendants of immigrants likes to talk about where they're from???

yes but you see those people are actually all dumb uninformed phonies, unlike me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

VideoGames posted:

Well, technically the poster talks about what should be done, not necessarily what he's going to do :hurr:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Roylicious posted:

Idk about Dutch

Hoobdwarp: twal

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh0ac5HUpDU

Somebody mentioned John Oliver's outrage upthread. Here it is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dreddout posted:

I'm not disparaging them, I find it endearing and honest! I think that native born white people in America should stop pretending like they know gently caress-all about being Irish or German because a few of their ancestors might have come from those countries.

pretty much nobody does! at least not most white americans from families that immigrated generations ago. it's just your last name, the food you make at home, or what church or club you go to, or whatever. nobody thinks they could live in whatever country their multi-great ancestor was from and be just like a native.

it's like, i'm not more than 1/4th or 8th of anything but I identify most with the german 4th (last name) and the armenian 8th (very strong family connections there to the point that I've gone to "reunions" and met 3rd cousins). go figure.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then we pretend that it means something.

"Of course I love drinking! I'm Irish!" - has never been to Ireland - is actually from Wales

oh, and people make that kind of mistake all the time!

"I'm part swedish, grandma had lutefisk for christmas every year" (grandma was actually lithuanian and lutefisk was the closest she could get to the lithuanian variety of preserved fish she wanted)
"my last name is from the french part of my family" (someone way back when was an adulterer and the name is the only thing they passed down)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lol which idiot thought the majority of american heritage wasnt german?

germanic peoples were at that time and still are far more numerous than the english.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LegoPirateNinja posted:

lol which idiot thought the majority of american heritage wasnt german?

germanic peoples were at that time and still are far more numerous than the english.

There's another argument out there with evidence that Vikings have actually been running America since the beginning.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

That map has a lot of blue on it but it's also covering the parts of the country that are horrible empty voids so it doesn't necessarily mean there's more of them.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Dogmeat posted:

That map has a lot of blue on it but it's also covering the parts of the country that are horrible empty voids so it doesn't necessarily mean there's more of them.

There are substantially more of them than any other group. It's very easy to find this information.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
haha britian is for losers i hope you all get aids as part of your deal with the EU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Having been born and raised in the Midwest, I can tell you that Germans really are the 'largest' ancestry around here ho ho ho.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Roylicious posted:

Idk about Dutch but English kicks the poo poo out of German 10 ways to Sunday. English adapts and steals/adds words from other languages. You can butcher the hell out of it and still get your message across. Yeah, it's hard to learn because it has wishy washy rules but that's what makes it evolve so well. German is just as rigid and rules based as the Germans.

Let me just say "geupdated" and "downgeloaded" :argh:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chernobyl baby posted:

haha you're wrong idiot - source: the language that literally every major science, mathematics and engineering journal is published in

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

if you think about it, the number of english immigrants would have been pretty low after independence
Okay but if you read about it, it wasn't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Americans

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Chernobyl baby posted:

Get a load of this guy

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zahgaegun posted:

Having been born and raised in the Midwest, I can tell you that Germans really are the 'largest' ancestry around here ho ho ho.

And it is a blight on our nation, did you know they made Snickers salad? Chopped Snickers, apples and whipped cream. loving midwest.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there a shopped version of that independence day poster floating around yet?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Ika posted:

Let me just say "geupdated" and "downgeloaded" :argh:

quote:

When asked whether gedownloadet or downgeloadet, it comes to the formation of the past participle borrowed from the English verb 'download.' More specifically, it's about whether 'ge' needs to be pushed in between prefixes or in the beginning.

You look at the German equivalent herunterladenat that as downloaden is a compound verb, there is no doubt regarding the formation of the participle II: Since the front part of this verb is separable (vgl. ich lade etwas herunter ), the past participle ge is inserted between the so-called Verbpartikel ( down ) and the verb stem ( load ), ie: 'down-ge-upload.' When downloaden just behaves like herunterladen, then takes the past participle downgeloadet.

However, there is in German still another variety of verbs composed of several parts, but still can not be separated, eg. B. conclude ( I therefore deduce , not * I conclude circuit ). These verbs will not insert 'ge', but append to the beginning (cf.. Concluded ). Would downloaden belong to these verbs, one would have from the past participle gedownloadet.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection

Brannock posted:

It makes sense I guess, the Confederacy rebellion (and the subsequent Reconstruction) was a huge culturally unifying event. When these people think of their ancestry they'll think first of their rebel ancestors than of their European forefathers

Speaking of which, I saw a kid here the other day wearing a Confederate flag shirt here in Wisconsin of all places. It was disgusting. I hope for his sake his family isn't actually from Wisconsin and just moved here instead

Ever been to Rock Co.? You see that poo poo all the time. Avon Bottoms is like the deep south. I actually once heard someone say "I wish they'd all go back to Madison" in reference to some people in suits.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is amazing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

source is the guardian:

Please let this happen so i can awe and confuse my dumb american family by taking a trip to england to visit the city state of london and go to The City Of London, to hunt for the next recursion

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dogmeat posted:

Washington State, Oregon, northern California, the Great Plains, the Great Lakes, Florida, and Colorado all have substantial populations, and German is a strong second or third in almost all the non-light-blue states. Don't be fooled by Montana/Wyoming/the Dakotas

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

And it is a blight on our nation, did you know they made Snickers salad? Chopped Snickers, apples and whipped cream. loving midwest.

what the gently caress

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Yum.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm German/Irish and I'm in one of the spots of "American" in a sea of "African American". I think it's more of a general 'where you were born' thing in the south.

E: but my loving God the number of white people with like a fraction of Native American and tout that poo poo up down here.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 28, 2016

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MariusLecter posted:

Sounds like an adapted Waldorf salad.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So I've heard Britain has become either a real life Children for Men or V for Vendetta, is that true? Or has it become a different movie where the country has become a bleak and horrible place?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
you should read the uk d&d thread to really see how loving funny this all is

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MizPiz posted:

So I've heard Britain has become either a real life Children for Men or V for Vendetta, is that true? Or has it become a different movie where the country has become a bleak and horrible place?

It's OK for now. That all happens after Boris gets made PM

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

hemophilia posted:

Please let this happen so i can awe and confuse my dumb american family by taking a trip to england to visit the city state of london and go to The City Of London, to hunt for the next recursion

So, like, going to London avenue to find the London house where you can sit in the London room on the Chair of London?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ork of Fiction posted:

So, like, going to London avenue to find the London house where you can sit in the London room on the Chair of London?

Ideally these are all semi-autonomous divisions of government but yeah basically.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nation posted:

No chance of me weeding through the tedious bs to find humor. Needle in a haystack really.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Nation posted:

or you can watch this summarized version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sm8O77eKiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Darth123123 posted:

No chance of me weeding through the tedious bs to find humor. Needle in a haystack really.

ill try and crosspost then

• Locked thread