Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

thespaceinvader posted:

Source on the bolded section?

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/is-h...tail/story.html

Kate Hoey too (For the brexit thing) and there's a few others I believe, though it's mainly stuck to Local Papers.

A little strong to say they're happening so my bad, but they're certainly at the breaking point for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

thespaceinvader posted:

My grandmother who died when I was ten was an au pair to a German Jewish family until 1938. The family were annihilated in the holocaust, and she could never speak to a German person again for the rest of her life.

But she was still firmly pro-EU because she recognised that this wasn't about her, it was about long-term peace and stability for her children and her grandchildren. Sadly, it won't be for her first great grandchild, born last year :(

That sucks :(

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Insect Court posted:

Why? I'm not delusional enough to think Corbyn is fit to lead, much less that he has a snowball's chance in hell of leading Labour to a win in the next(or any) general election.

You claim to believe that, so you should be eager to show your support for Corbyn by toxxing for him. It'll be a bad decision, but you voted Leave so you seem to be comfortable making those.

You brought it up. Take some initiative. Or are you to much of a coward? (Wait that was a rhetorial question)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

That;s not a deselection, it's a CLP sending a letter to their MP asking her not to be an idiot.

I could see deselection following, but it can't usefully happen until the next GE unfortunately.

Sure, I was just linking something to add weight that actually a lot what these MPs are doing is in direct contradiction to the interests of their CLPs, so it's unlikely they'll survive long term if Corbyn once again thrashes them in an election. Labour could literally be making GBS threads on the tories right now and instead all we're getting is a bunch of internal self-indulgent sabre rattling that's going to achieve nothing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Yes.

My nephew is the person I'm most worried for, now that I think about it. It hadn't really struck me, but... he's never going to have the opportunities I have. He's never going to be able to go on an interrail trip around europe with his girlfriend, or go for a year abroad in france like my wife did, nip for a quick trip to portugal, nip across to calais for some cheap booze (not that I think that's specifically a good idea but anyway), etc etc etc. He's going to have a horrible childhood that will only be worse unless we win.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

This resonates with me.

Gonzo McFee posted:

YEEESSSSS

Oh if David Cameron has to face the SNP. Oh my days.

Alex Salmond VS David Cameron.

Finally, the debate we all wanted.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes.

My nephew is the person I'm most worried for, now that I think about it. It hadn't really struck me, but... he's never going to have the opportunities I have. He's never going to be able to go on an interrail trip around europe with his girlfriend, or go for a year abroad in france like my wife did, nip for a quick trip to portugal, nip across to calais for some cheap booze (not that I think that's specifically a good idea but anyway), etc etc etc. He's going to have a horrible childhood that will only be worse unless we win.

All of this will still be possible, just slightly more expensive and awkward to arrange

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I can't work out what this is supposed to be.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Pissflaps posted:

I can't work out what this is supposed to be.

The thread throwing you overboard and corbyn smiling all over us as a result.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I wouldn't worry about not being able to travel to Europe; I would be extremely surprised if a visa waiver programme wasn't top of both sides' lists when we finally get around to negotiating.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rofl.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes.

Yeah your nephew will still be able to do all of these things with minimal effort.

edit: actually the booze cruising might be tricky

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

thespaceinvader posted:

He's going to have a horrible childhood that will only be worse unless we win.

Horrible is going a bit far I think. The vast majority of human beings throughout existence have not been able to travel to lots of other countries, and some of them have quite enjoyed their lives.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Why was voter turnout so low among the under 35s? I mean, I know it always is, but it makes even less sense this time.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

The thread throwing you overboard and corbyn smiling all over us as a result.

Is the red thing a ship? Why is it spinning? And what's the thing being catapulted?

Is this from an anime?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dzhay posted:

Why was voter turnout so low among the under 35s? I mean, I know it always is, but it makes even less sense this time.

Because they're useless, idle cunts.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Tesseraction posted:

Ooh, nice. You'd hope that the healthtech and *ugh* betting companies would survive this pretty well. Can see the finance analysis going to poo poo though. :/

I wouldn't bet (:haw:) on betting firms doing too well as a result of this.

I've been kind of surprised since I moved out to Bulgaria how many British based betting sites both have a large presence here independently and, based on reports from coworkers thay used to work for them, how much of their user support is based here.

Losing easy access to cheap support staff and a pretty active market is going to hurt a lot of them quite badly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Is the red thing a ship? Why is it spinning? And what's the thing being catapulted?

Is this from an anime?

loving ridiculous.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Dzhay posted:

They grew up in an era where you needed a degree in linguistics to tell one party manifesto from another. They've been conditioned into political apathy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Stupid Corbyn. You made me look bad.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Oi shitheads join your local Antifa innit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG5J4s0D_s

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Hoops posted:

The best thing for The Northern Powerhouse would be the election of visible, powerful mayors of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, to do exactly what Sturgeon does every day. Potentially only Manchester to start with otherwise they'll crowd each other out. It'll accelerate the gently caress out of federalism as they'll have to be essentially be like US state governors, but if Andy Burnham can do it and be on TV regularly then that could potentially make a big difference. Always a suit, never ever ever in those big medal things that mayors wear.

That would be a good idea if that was the point of metro mayors.

The actual point of metro mayors is to punt unpopular spending decisions to a directly elected figurehead and an unelected cabinet, because the government, in the vein of Thatcher, are opposed to resurrecting the metropolitan county councils because they might vote Labour (which is why Thatcher got rid of them in the first place).

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Courage the Cowardly Dog was good tv when I was a kid.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Is this from an anime?

Fans is just a kindly sort and giving Flaps' daughter a couple hours with her Da.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Oh no it's Pissxit.

BTW Cameron failed, Merkel et. al saying "No, you take freedom of movement or not. Oh and we respect the wishes of the British people - please get cracking on Article 50." :byewhore:

Oh and "“We did not discuss the possibility that the UK will not invoke article 50, and I consider this an impossibility.” So no 2nd referendum for anyone who thought we would actually have the chance.

E: Took out this bit - we're going but who knows if we'll still do one or not - I have no loving clue like anyone else. :)

Laradus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 28, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yer auld da's on the UKMT, giving it yaldie aboot yer boy Corbyn.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
We're going to be stuck in this state of everyone wanting us to leave by being too scared to actually go forever. Brexit Blue Balls.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Fans is just a kindly sort and giving Flaps' daughter a couple hours with her Da.

About time. He doesn't seem an attentive father.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Other downsides of the Brexit vote: proving to my dad that he was right about Northerners*.

(*variously defined as "born outside the M25" or "people with accents")

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oh dear me posted:

Horrible is going a bit far I think. The vast majority of human beings throughout existence have not been able to travel to lots of other countries, and some of them have quite enjoyed their lives.

That specific part I more mean because of the Tories generally, but also the fash.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I wouldn't worry about not being able to travel to Europe; I would be extremely surprised if a visa waiver programme wasn't top of both sides' lists when we finally get around to negotiating.

It might be a topic of contention if the new Boris-led UK government insists on keeping certain undesirables (Bulgaria, Rumania, etc) out of a visa waiver program. This is unlikely though.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/747912859854708736

I want to get off Mr Corbyn's wild ride.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

El Scotch posted:

Glokta posted:

About time. He doesn't seem an attentive father.

Why can people in this thread not stop talking about peoples children.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISn9WXJhlD8

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Was this posted yet?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-reactions-stubb-idUSKCN0ZC0MP

quote:

Britain will get a Norway-type deal to keep close economic ties with the European Union but will have no say on decision-making in the bloc after "Brexit" materializes, Finland's former prime minister Alexander Stubb said on Sunday.

The shock British referendum result has put into question Europe's post-war order, sent stocks tumbling around the world and left the EU pondering how to handle the divorce.

Stubb, who served as Finland's prime minister in 2014-15, said the EU should not push Britain into quickly launching a formal exit procedure.

"This will be an extremely complicated set of negotiations, there will be hundreds and thousands of legal, political and economic implications. After the initial shock, we should now take it easy and be patient, one step at a time," Stubb said.

"It's going painful and long," he told Reuters in a phone interview, adding that putting a firm deadline on the process would be "unwise".

Many European politicians - with the notable exception of German Chancellor Angela Merkel - have put pressure on Britain to trigger the exit procedure as soon as possible after Britain's outgoing Prime Minister David Cameron said the move was unlikely before October.

"We should not be childish in thinking about punishing the UK. It's not in the interest of Europe to cut relations with the United Kingdom and it's not in the interest of the UK to be cut off from the continent immediately either," he said.

Stubb, who held several EU jobs and was most recently Finland's finance minister until his party sacked him earlier this month, said the new deal between Britain and the bloc should keep maximum economic integration possible and pointed to non-EU member Norway as the example.

"We should try to keep Britain as close as possible but they will not have the possibility to influence decision-making. The UK will become a new Norway," he said.

"They will pay for membership, have less influence on decision-making and laws but at the end of the day have similar benefits they have today."

As a member of the European Economic Area, Norway gets access to EU's single market in exchange for contributing about 400 million euros a year to the EU budget. But it must accept EU's rules on the single market and free movement of people without a vote.

Stubb dismissed as unrealistic the Brexit campaign promise to curb immigration into Britain.

"If Britain wants to participate in the free movement of goods, services and money, it will have to participate in the free movement of labor as well. That's what Norway does. That's tough luck but that's how it goes," he said.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, guys, you like ineffectual internal coups, right?

Earlier today in the European Parliament there was an fascist attempt to depose Jean-Claude Jüncker as President of the European Commission.

And when I say fascist, I mean that it was submitted by EFDD (European right-wing populist party, led by Farage) and ENF (European nationalist party, led by Le Pen).

It failed horribly.

UKIP voted for it, Tories split three ways, Greens, SNP, and the sole Lib Dem voted against it.

Guess what Labour MEPs did.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Didn't this guy's last 'source' turn out to be a guy who claimed to have overheard Corbyn in a restaurant when Corbyn was halfway across the country at Jo Cox's funeral?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
e: gently caress it, not worth it.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

loving ridiculous.

Yea.

It's pretty ridiculous that he dosen't know Courage the Cowardly dog when he sees it. Unacceptable in my opinion. Worse then Corbyn.

an excellent idea. Give George Galloway the posion challace.

TinTower posted:

UKIP voted for it, Tories split three ways

Guess what Labour MEPs did.

Not surprised UKIP voted for it. Tories are idiots so that makes sense.

They abstained right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Gato posted:

Didn't this guy's last 'source' turn out to be a guy who claimed to have overheard Corbyn in a restaurant when Corbyn was halfway across the country at Jo Cox's funeral?

Yes. Eaton's twitter is a joke.

• Locked thread