Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A few of the ones I really like are

True Concealment (imo the most required mod)
Stop Wasting My Time
Accurate Swords
Make Heals Persist (up to you, this makes the game a lot easier because you can reliably make sure your A team goes on every mission
Cost Based Ability Colors
LOKE's better cover and aiming
Safer Hacking

The two I use for the rulers come together;
Moddable ruler turns
Rulers take normal turns

I also run a bunch of halo armor/weapon mods, and grabbed about 15 different voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Loel posted:

Which one is this? :D

Quoting this because the mod in question never got identified, I too would like to know!
Nevermind, says right above this post.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 28, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
literally just posted it;

It's the combo of two mods. The first is the baseplate mod that 4 or 5 mods actually work with, and the second is the actual module.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Whoops, yeah, that's what I get for not refreshing before quoting stuff :downs: Sorry about that

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
A trick for handling Rulers is having a Grenadier with Salvo and Heavy Ordinance with double Frost Grenades. I generally don't let Rulers do anything because as soon as I see one it's frozen, gets shot up, refrozen, and shot up some more, and by the time it's actually coming at me it's half dead.

Also something to remember is that if you're out of good stuff to do with your soldiers against a Ruler, just pass the turn. It feels awful to let the enemy take a turn before you've taken all of your actions, but it's hugely important against rulers because every action you take that isn't hugely effective is a free turn for the Ruler. When I fought the Berserker Queen I froze her, shot her once or twice with my highest damage-per-action soldiers, froze her again, and passed the turn so I could get my high damage soldiers shooting at her again.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Coolguye posted:

rulers not showing up on the Shadow Chamber is another one - who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

I laughed and gave a ghost high five to firaxis for having them show up on VIP missions. I think it's loving brilliant and really stresses the "Why are you standing around overwatching with every half turn? Get the gently caress out!" part of xcom 2.

That shadow chamber thing, however, I haven't experienced or aren't sure what you're talking about. Can you explain?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zigmidge posted:

I laughed and gave a ghost high five to firaxis for having them show up on VIP missions. I think it's loving brilliant and really stresses the "Why are you standing around overwatching with every half turn? Get the gently caress out!" part of xcom 2.

That shadow chamber thing, however, I haven't experienced or aren't sure what you're talking about. Can you explain?

Once you build the shadow chamber, you get a readout of what aliens are on each mission before you take it.
Rulers don't show up on this because firaxis hates you they ambush you.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

The Shadow Chamber will show you what Aliens will appear on a mission, except Rulers do not. If you have never seen an Alien before it appears as unknown but Rulers just straight up do not interact with the mechanic far as i can tell.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The likely technical reason for this is Alien Rulers are injected into the mission on mission load (during one of the DLC hooks), and are not part of the standard mission generation system which loads the mission schedule and it's relevant pods the moment it shows up on the map.

The reason they don't interact with the shadow chamber is they probably aren't even determined to be on the map at that point.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
'Saving both of my most useful grenade, every mission, on the off chance you see the ruler' does sit well with me. I dont know about you but I lean -heavily- on frost grenades to manage pods. Freezing one, or most of one, or freezing a critical threat like a sectopod/gatekeeper is one of the few tools I have to keep my missions somewhat consistent. I dont like the idea of having to hold onto them basically indefinitely until all 3 rulers are dead, just in case.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Maluco Marinero posted:

The likely technical reason for this is Alien Rulers are injected into the mission on mission load (during one of the DLC hooks), and are not part of the standard mission generation system which loads the mission schedule and it's relevant pods the moment it shows up on the map.

The reason they don't interact with the shadow chamber is they probably aren't even determined to be on the map at that point.

No, the last time this subject came up I said "well isn't it likely that something like what Maluco said happened" and answer's no, they do know, the rulers are just specifically marked with a special attribute that means they don't show up in Shadow Chamber readouts. Some other goon went code diving and confirmed it. I imagine if I went to look on the workshop there is a mod out there that does nothing but remove that attribute, but I CBA.

You can see this most notably without code diving in certain situations where if the Viper King survives his first few run-arounds with you, causing the Berserker Queen to show up. By the time she goes through her requisite tour with you, it's very likely that you won't be running into Vipers much anymore, but you will probably have the Shadow Chamber by the time he comes around again. Seeing Vipers in the enemy loadout in a July mission is a dead give-away that Snake Dick is on the menu.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I don't know what Firaxis' intent is, here, to determine if that's a bug or not but it makes sense to me the way it is. That's why I wasn't sure when you mentioned it. Everything about these guys are about being caught with your pants down in a game that's about being so prepared you look like a final fantasy character whose costume is made of belts. I think that was an actual character too.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Coolguye posted:

No, the last time this subject came up I said "well isn't it likely that something like what Maluco said happened" and answer's no, they do know, the rulers are just specifically marked with a special attribute that means they don't show up in Shadow Chamber readouts. Some other goon went code diving and confirmed it. I imagine if I went to look on the workshop there is a mod out there that does nothing but remove that attribute, but I CBA.

You can see this most notably without code diving in certain situations where if the Viper King survives his first few run-arounds with you, causing the Berserker Queen to show up. By the time she goes through her requisite tour with you, it's very likely that you won't be running into Vipers much anymore, but you will probably have the Shadow Chamber by the time he comes around again. Seeing Vipers in the enemy loadout in a July mission is a dead give-away that Snake Dick is on the menu.

Ah alright, there you go then.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well, you also have to realize that the Rulers aren't actually part of the alien forces so however frustrating it is gameplay wise in a way it actually makes sense for the Shadow Chamber not to mention them. They're rogues that Vahlen made because she is Queen of Bad Ideas when there's not a superior officer telling her that sticking a fork in the power socket is a bad idea. Remember the scene in EU/EW when the alien radio turns on, nearly exploding and bringing down the base on top of everyone's head as Vahlen shouts "No, let it run, for SCIENCE!"? Yeah, turns out that without the Commander, Shen Sr. or Bradford there to go "NO, THIS IS A BAD IDEA!" every five minutes that's Vahlen all the time.*

I mean, seriously, the Ethereals made all Snake"men" to be females to obviously control the population. Vahlen makes ONE male and all of a sudden she finds herself with a snake-casanova with psionic powers that the females lack and he immediately proceeds to make himself global a snake-harem. The Snake-ladies sure as hell aren't gonna rat out the presence of the only source of snake-dick on the planet to their superiors if they can avoid it. And besides, Snakedick can obviously teleport all over the world so even if/when the Ethereals do find out he ports halfway across the globe to find his next all-female barracks of snakes.

*The first MEC exosuit was probably built for a Melded-up soldier with limbs, only for engineering do deliver it to the labs where Shen find Vahlen standing over a quadruple amputee going "SCIENCE! Look, Shen! Now that you don't have to make room for the subjects limbs, the robotic suit's own limbs will be that much stronger!" and she then takes everyone's speechlessness as a sign they were impressed with her genius.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Is there a mod to knock down Wounded time to a more reasonable level? Because my only Ranger (started a new game) spending 22 loving days in the infirmary for a papercut is kind of Not Cool.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, just had the most hilarious Stun Lancer behavior on a mission. Ran into 3 pods with a Stun Lancer each. Only the first pod's Lancer attacked me. Second one I revealed by over extending and was expecting my over-extended soldier to die horribly to a second baton to the face. Nope, instead Lancer #2 runs back to the rebel transmitter and starts beating on it with his piddly shockstick, only doing 3 damage/turn. And so did Lancer #3.

It was the most hilarious thing as the AI decided ineffectually poking the machine was more important than beating my soldiers to death.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
*flanks 3 of your soldiers*

*shoots a civilian*

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finished The Bureau: XCOM Declassified finally.

I'd say it's a solid B+. The game we got is like one part XCOM, one part Bioshock, and one part Mass Effect.

Feels like they had huge aspirations for the game, tonnes of ideas, possibly shitloads of assets created, but at some point it got edited down to what we got. I would have to assume the horrible reaction the early previews got was a major component. Heck that geometric enemy shown in the early trailers shows up all of once in the entire game. Made sense at the time, but now totally out of place on hindsight.

I'm amazed the game was as good as it turned out. I actually feel it could have been shortened a little bit, but that's possibly my own fault ... took me 12.5 hours to beat. I scoured every corner. It would have probably been closer to 8 hours if I wasn't so OCD about it.

I have to say, the moment my interest really started to wane, literally the very next second the game became awesome again and I marathoned through to the end.

Story I'd say is overall okay scene to scene. It feels good enough to keep you going and wanting to see what's next. It has some shockingly great moments, but some plot and some specific points are kind of silly. Sometimes dialogue feels out of place/irrational, probably due to the development hell this game went through heh.

DLC is super-cheap now, but I've had enough. I enjoyed my time with it a lot, but uh, time to get back into XCOM2.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Alkydere posted:

*The first MEC exosuit was probably built for a Melded-up soldier with limbs, only for engineering do deliver it to the labs where Shen find Vahlen standing over a quadruple amputee going "SCIENCE! Look, Shen! Now that you don't have to make room for the subjects limbs, the robotic suit's own limbs will be that much stronger!" and she then takes everyone's speechlessness as a sign they were impressed with her genius.

the original idea for mecs was that you could only apply them to gravely wounded soldiers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

Finished The Bureau: XCOM Declassified finally.

I'd say it's a solid B+.
yeah, the story behind what happened there is kind of interesting in a weird way.

the main reason it got a bad wrap was because it was originally revealed as a generic shootymans fps that bore the XCOM name but had absolutely no relation to XCOM's style or substance. studios had already dredged up one old, beloved game and slapped its name on total bullshit (Syndicate) so people were understandably angry and alarmed.

when it got refined into a small squad shooter game people could start to see some of XCOM's style come back, and the game itself had enough charm that you could see it start to come into its own, but due to the horrible reveal it had, the title was kind of tainted and never quite got over it.

now, of course, we HAVE a true-to-the-original and very good XCOM title, so we're not worried about the franchise's mummified corpse being hit with a defibrillator for a quick buck, and enough time has passed that we have mostly forgotten how toxic the original reveal was. we can definitely see that The Bureau is a pretty competently done game, in a fun and generally under-explored genre, with a story that generally pulls the player in, though it does so weakly. while it's nothing to cheer about, there's nothing wrong with it - all the negative sentiment is around the time before we knew Enemy Unknown was a thing, and folks were afraid that if a lovely title came out bearing the XCOM name, we'd NEVER see Enemy Unknown.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or do Sectopods have some kind of unhackable quality going on? I mean sure you're gonna fail a few times, but I've never even come CLOSE to hacking one of them. Is there something I Need to research to allow me to do so?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The RNG is an absolute son of a bitch when it comes to hacking the Sectos.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

yeah, the story behind what happened there is kind of interesting in a weird way.

the main reason it got a bad wrap was because it was originally revealed as a generic shootymans fps that bore the XCOM name but had absolutely no relation to XCOM's style or substance. studios had already dredged up one old, beloved game and slapped its name on total bullshit (Syndicate) so people were understandably angry and alarmed.

when it got refined into a small squad shooter game people could start to see some of XCOM's style come back, and the game itself had enough charm that you could see it start to come into its own, but due to the horrible reveal it had, the title was kind of tainted and never quite got over it.

now, of course, we HAVE a true-to-the-original and very good XCOM title, so we're not worried about the franchise's mummified corpse being hit with a defibrillator for a quick buck, and enough time has passed that we have mostly forgotten how toxic the original reveal was. we can definitely see that The Bureau is a pretty competently done game, in a fun and generally under-explored genre, with a story that generally pulls the player in, though it does so weakly. while it's nothing to cheer about, there's nothing wrong with it - all the negative sentiment is around the time before we knew Enemy Unknown was a thing, and folks were afraid that if a lovely title came out bearing the XCOM name, we'd NEVER see Enemy Unknown.

Exactly. I remember when they first revealed it, and being insanely pissed there wouldn't be another turn-based XCOM game. I mean, they ended up making one, and it was very good, but if they led with EU, the story would be totally different. I mean, people were looking forwards to that cancelled game (X-Com Alliegence, I think it was called?) that was a shooter.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I switched to Commander and I'm getting my poo poo kicked in. Feels like I'm getting punished way harder for not inching forward on maps.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

NTT posted:

I switched to Commander and I'm getting my poo poo kicked in. Feels like I'm getting punished way harder for not inching forward on maps.

That's how Commander feels-the time limit exists to try to push you into making mistakes. I've found that in Commander, you should be expending gear pretty often-if you're coming back with any grenades left you're probably not using enough grenades. Aggressive use of a poo poo-ton of high explosives to ruin everyone's day tends to be the way to go in Commander. I started out playing on Commander and there were some rough spots but copious use of high explosives got me out of all of them.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Has anyone else tried increasing their squad size with the Long War Toolbox? When i do it results in the extra squad members having red healthbars like an enemy for some reason.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Exactly. I remember when they first revealed it, and being insanely pissed there wouldn't be another turn-based XCOM game. I mean, they ended up making one, and it was very good, but if they led with EU, the story would be totally different. I mean, people were looking forwards to that cancelled game (X-Com Alliegence, I think it was called?) that was a shooter.

"Alliance". That was so drat long ago haha. It also looked great at the time, and had a strategy game being developed alongside called Genesis. I remember the developers for Genesis spending time engaging the community on Usenet, trying to figure out what people wanted.

I thought it would be turn-based, but this says they were aiming for real time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Genesis

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 29, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NTT posted:

Blow. Up. Everything. My first successful run when the game came out was on Commander and that was how I survived the early game. And Archons (Fuuuck that dodge, that was before the 100% accuracy cancelled out dodge chance too). Start exploding stuff until you start getting bigger guns, more skills and good aim. Keep exploding things to get good shots, don't bother with shots under 50% (just overwatch instead/save that ammo) and get psionics. I can, and have beat Commander (and oh my god that victory felt good) but I have a lot more fun on Ironman Veteran now if only because the game does not out and out hate you for the first few months.

On an unrelated note, I wonder exactly what gauge this is:

The damage tooltip is wrong, it actually hits for 7-9 in the field before crits. Feels good reducing Officers and Vipers to chunky salsa even without crits. I fuckin' love Grimy's weapon-mod mod series.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is there a mod to knock down Wounded time to a more reasonable level? Because my only Ranger (started a new game) spending 22 loving days in the infirmary for a papercut is kind of Not Cool.

:respek:

I bought this game on Amazon the other day, since the price was decent, and have started playing yesterday. So far, I managed to use Jane Kelly twice, because she got a 24 day recuperation period after the first mission. :saddowns:

On the other hand, I had a reverse-:xcom: in a Supply Raid: my Specialist hacked an Advent turret, which proceeded to kill a Sectoid. In the meantime (after taking one initial hit from the Sectoid), it tanked 1 Viper, 1 Stunlancer, 2 Troopers and the Sectoid. I'm using that "more mission report messages"-mod, and the turret had "most assists" and "luckiest". I foresee a horrible death for my troops in order to bring balance to the world again.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
lol

I nade a pod and set a basic 4 hp trooper on fire, with one hp left. The game gives me the Burning! pop up and everything. So I ignore him since I figure he will instantly die on the enemy turn.

Basic 4 hp trooper mysteriously pretends he was never on fire and, at 1 hp, crits a flanked soldier to death, which panicks my grenadier. Who walks forward 3 tiles and activates another pod and the turret.

Round 4 squad wipe.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

Story I'd say is overall okay scene to scene. It feels good enough to keep you going and wanting to see what's next. It has some shockingly great moments, but some plot and some specific points are kind of silly.

This is how I feel about XCOM 2 tbh. I can't be the only one.

I think the whole thing about the commander being captured and suffering countless simulations which feed the neural/psionic network of the ADVENT soldiers with strategies from his genius brain was completely silly. COMPLETELY silly. Should've just been a different commander this time, assume the old one died, end of story, no hard feelings.

I really like the Ethereals lore, though. Classic alien mythology right there. Would've been even better if they agressively did nastier things to Earth and its creatures, like the creepy stuff from conventional alien lore (alien harvesting, people with chips implanted in their necks, terrifying failed hybrids, exploring some sort of essential natural resource in a way that would destroy the planet or straight terraforming etc). The alien utopia/totalitarianism angle is pretty great, but with XCOM 2 it feels it moved a bit from "creepy unknown threat we can't quite understand" to something more "tame". I still remember the opening tutorial of XCOM:EU, that guy with his intestines spread all over the floor from his corpse, the soldiers inspecting that warehouse (I think) not knowing what they'd find there..... that was awesome, I really loved the overall feel of XCOM:EU, just great.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I love the goofy Lego guns

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I activated mods but they dont seem to be working. Do i need to start a new game?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I activated mods but they dont seem to be working. Do i need to start a new game?

Generally, yes you do. Cosmetics and lighter stuff can and often will take effect quickly but anything mechanics-wise usually needs a new game.

Also, just got the Viper King on a VIP rescue mission. :suicide: Dunno if i was lucky or unlucky to run into him during the stealth phase because that fucker has a MASSIVE detection radius. And of course he appeared when I was trying to figure out how best to jump a Muton squad. Somehow managed to reduce him to a sliver of health to make him retreat in one turn, AND beat the mission without losing any soldiers. Not sure exactly how though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Andre Banzai posted:

This is how I feel about XCOM 2 tbh. I can't be the only one.

I think the whole thing about the commander being captured and suffering countless simulations which feed the neural/psionic network of the ADVENT soldiers with strategies from his genius brain was completely silly. COMPLETELY silly. Should've just been a different commander this time, assume the old one died, end of story, no hard feelings.

I like it because it leaves an opening for XCOM: You're Playing as Aliens Now.

Alternatively, Long War is now canonized: it was the simulation the aliens were playing in your head, only what you perceived as humans in your head were really advent troopers and what you thought were aliens were really people.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I like it because it leaves an opening for XCOM: You're Playing as Aliens Now.

Alternatively, Long War is now canonized: it was the simulation the aliens were playing in your head, only what you perceived as humans in your head were really advent troopers and what you thought were aliens were really people.

Alternatively: EU was the first simulation (or first few), EW was the next few simulations, and after that the aliens started torturing the commander with Long War.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think they should do as they did here and completely ignore the plot events again so they can have creative license to do something novel. It really doesn't matter what they go with in this fun turn based strategy game.

I'm gonna nickname the first ranger in my next play through: MacGuffin

Then maybe I'll have him killed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hot take: moira vahlen did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Please tell your soldiers to exercise restraint vhen using....explosives