Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

should be Paul Gascoigne IMO

The Ghost of Raoul Moat (C)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

should be Paul Gascoigne IMO

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
they wont give rodgers the job it's too obvious a troll

poty fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 28, 2016

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Has it got so bad that people are legitimately backing a man who hasn't managed anyone in 10 years and was sacked the first time round for saying that disabled people are being punished by God?!

Why don't you just give Ron Atkinson a call while you're at it.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

He'd light a fire under the Dannys and Dellis, might send one or two of those layabouts packing. Hell, he could be just the man England needs in the post Brexit-era.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
England lost to Iceland.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Gigi Galli posted:

He got some decent results with a pack of terrible players so there's not too much wrong with this.

Worse results than Bob Bradley, maybe England could swoop in and poach him from Le Havre

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Has it got so bad that people are legitimately backing a man who hasn't managed anyone in 10 years and was sacked the first time round for saying that disabled people are being punished by God?!

yes

this would almost be understandable if Glenn Hoddle was a successful England manager who was coming out of retirement to try and recapture old glories, and not someone whose only tournament experience was to take an exponentially more talented England team and take them to a second-place finish in their group (behind Romania) before being knocked out in the last 16

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

England lost to Iceland.

They did, and deservedly so.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Maybe England would do better if the fans didn't boo the players and gave them positive encouragement instead.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
We need a new manager to help bring it home.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

We need a new manager to help bring it home.

Good news...

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
pulis looks like a kiddie fiddler and i will not stand for him to represent are country

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I've never really understood why manager's are not bound by the same nationality rules as players. Getting Guss Hiddink to manage your national team (which I think every country has done at this point) seems to me fundamentally no different than Israel getting Messi to play for them, yet it's allowed. It's bonkers. Yeah, teams like South Korea would be even shittier because there aren't any good South Korean Managers, but isn't that the whole point of Internationals?

On topic, Guss Hiddink is available I've heard.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 28, 2016

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

pulis looks like a kiddie fiddler and i will not stand for him to represent are country

He's just Welsh, give him a break

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Maybe England would do better if the fans didn't boo the players and gave them positive encouragement instead.

Your're not English, you boo poo poo displays, not encourage it

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Even better, call up Rowan Atkinson and have him make a comedy out of it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

blue footed boobie posted:

England lost to Iceland.

still lolling

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

I've never really understood why manager's are not bound by the same nationality rules as players. Getting Guss Hiddink to manage your national team (which I think every country has done at this point) seems to me fundamentally no different than Israel getting Messi to play for them, yet it's allowed. It's bonkers. Yeah, teams like South Korea would be even shittier because there aren't any good South Korean Managers, but isn't that the whole point of Internationals?

On topic, Guss Hiddink is available I've heard.

wrong thread

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

England should go one of two ways.

Embrace their shitness and give the job to Fat Sam or Pulis. You'll likely get better results and it will be funny although incredibly painful viewing.

Go all out and give the job to Bielsa. The football will be good and at least when you lose it will be entertaining.

What will actually happen is the job will go to someone completely uninspiring like Southgate and nothing will change. The same poo poo players will be picked and the same excuses will be made.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Southgate, Rodgers, and Wenger are the top choices atm, l o loving l.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wengy wouldn't last a month as England manager, but it would be hilarious.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Mans posted:

I thought about making this joke and frankly he would be the best candidate hands down.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I've been loling at the Wenger links. Are they suggesting Wenger manages the national team parallel to Arsenal? Because any other assumption is absurd (though also that one), not to mention he could walk onto the french national team and has chosen not to for years.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bring back El Tel

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
What's Joe Kinnear up to these days

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
[in the extremely England Manager Voice] Harry Kane should take the corner kicks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Just reminded myself that Iceland beat England lmao

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mans posted:

a comedy involving the england football team? dream on

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Did anyone mention the 0-1 result England got from the knockout game with Iceland in this thread? I thought this might be relevant to discuss.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hmm, seems like England should just give up and quit and cry. If they try it will only get worse. Just leave the earth

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Parity warning posted:

Hmm, seems like England should just give up and quit and cry. If they try it will only get worse. Just leave the earth

Thanks for the D&D update

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
DeepMind is an English company I think, or was until Google bought them anyway.

It has my vote. It can select it's teams and tactics by running millions of football manager simulations.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Any talk of Pulis or Rodgers taking the job is nonsense, no way someone from the other home nations takes the England job.

The whole setup is poo poo. If we couldn't manage to get past the quarter finals of a competition with the likes of Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Campbell, Neville et al in their primes, it's going to take more than a mere manager change now, regardless of whom that manager is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Today's Football Ramble is good about England. Talking about how any combination of managers and players you can think of has already been tried and failed, none of it has ever managed to overcome the complete mental breakdown that infects England in tournaments.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Don't have a manager instead let Twitter decide the team and tactics using hashtags.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

Today's Football Ramble is good about England. Talking about how any combination of managers and players you can think of has already been tried and failed, none of it has ever managed to overcome the complete mental breakdown that infects England in tournaments.

sneak some valium into their water before games

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

If we couldn't manage to get past the quarter finals of a competition with the likes of Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Campbell, Neville et al in their primes, it's going to take more than a mere manager change now, regardless of whom that manager is.

They did poorly for the same reason the current lot do. I don't know if it's player power or pressure from the English FA but they need a manager who is capable of putting together a team rather than picking all the 'star' players out and shoehorning them into a formation they're unsuited to.

Just give the job to Allardyce. He's an unlikable piece of poo poo but he doesn't strike me as someone who panders to other people's whims. Also imagine Deli Alli a recalled Kevin Nolan getting on the end of of all those Carroll knockdowns. Phwoar!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ninpo posted:

Any talk of Pulis or Rodgers taking the job is nonsense, no way someone from the other home nations takes the England job.

The whole setup is poo poo. If we couldn't manage to get past the quarter finals of a competition with the likes of Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Campbell, Neville et al in their primes, it's going to take more than a mere manager change now, regardless of whom that manager is.

This tournament proves that with organisation and team spirit a team can get pretty far with championship players. I think maybe we brought too many flair players along when you just need a couple. Mark Noble to lead the line in the world cup qualifiers this autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ewar Woowar posted:

They did poorly for the same reason the current lot do. I don't know if it's player power or pressure from the English FA but they need a manager who is capable of putting together a team rather than picking all the 'star' players out and shoehorning them into a formation they're unsuited to.

But the point is there isn't some magic formation or manager that will solve the issue. They've all been tried, and none of them address the fundamental problem: England melt down the moment there is a shred of pressure. Hodgson is experienced even if he's not the greatest, he knows how to make basic tactical changes when his winger and his fullback are disrupting each other. England's players know how to show themselves for passes, play 1-2s and move the ball quickly in the face of massed defense. None of these players loft floating balls at the far post for their clubs.

So why do these most basic football skills desert the players and manager the moment they're representing England in a game that matters? Why do they just look clueless? They generally cruise through qualifying. They're clearly under the most paralysing pressure that we have to work out how to alleviate.

In that sense Allardyce might be decent because he stops his players having think really. He has a rigid system in which players know exactly what they should be doing, which might help. England's best tournament under Hodgson was 2012 when we were playing dire football, but at least it was structured and effective.

Can't see that the press would tolerate it for too long though, the complaints are what caused Hodgson to move out of his comfort zone and into the disasters of 2014 and 2016.

• Locked thread