Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

I'm on the fifth map of the Dissolution of Eternity, but today postman brought me a Quake add-on that I'm really looking into checking: Shrak.

I played all of Shrak and overall, the only thing I can mainly remember is that it left me feeling really uneasy. Like when you see a picture that REALLY grosses you out, and you almost feel sick to your stomach, but not quite. Granted, I was 14 at the time, but I had played my share of violent games. I think it was because everything was just so alien and weird, all bug-like. And then you get to Shrak himself and you get to see his massive, disgusting rear end-crack. Seriously. It's gross.

The whole thing was gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

Finally finished Armagon, goddamn this add-on is a blast even if it relies on vores a little too much for my taste (but there are no spawns, so hooray!). The new enemies and weapons are a mixed bag, the weapon-stealing imps are an interesting idea, if rarely have the chance to showcase this behaviour. Spike balls are terrible. Weapons are fun, if probably more useful for multiplayer.

I'm on the fifth map of the Dissolution of Eternity, but today postman brought me a Quake add-on that I'm really looking into checking: Shrak.

Just finished Dissolution of Eternity, I liked it for the most part. Not as good as Armagon, but reasonably enjoyable. The earthquake effects in a couple levels is pretty annoying though.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

catlord posted:

Just finished Dissolution of Eternity, I liked it for the most part. Not as good as Armagon, but reasonably enjoyable. The earthquake effects in a couple levels is pretty annoying though.

Not as annoying as the "watch your steps" part of the certain map in Armagon :supaburn:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The whole thing was gross.

It can't be as bad as it's installation process, which has to be one of the worst I ever had to work with. It uses some obscure-rear end 16-bit command line tool to inject Quake textures into Shrak's maps, so as you can easily predict, it doesn't work at all even on my old XP laptop. And DOSBox doesn't seem to help at all. And there are no working solutions on-line (someone posted recompiled maps on QuakeOne, but they don't seem to load under QuakeSpasm). I always wondered why no one ever talks about this add-on, and now I understand it clearly, nobody was able to run the drat thing!

As for the rest of the post - it shouldn't be surprising. Take a look at their (still online, wtf) official website, it's the epitome of the late 90s in first-person shooters: http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That is a really lovely choice of music for this game. It's exactly what I was afraid of.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Please stop playing ROTT when you get to ep 4, or at least stick God mode on. The monks are no fun to fight at all and the level design kinda shits itself, especially that level which is just chasing a demon caterpillar down a corridor.

Extreme ROTT is even worse, like a load of garbage levels that Joe Siegler found under a filing cabinet or something

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I never played the first System Shock, but I have played SS2 through at least a dozen times and I always turn the soundtrack off immediately. The sounds of the ship and the Many and the polite robots are enough ambiance by themselves.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just finished DOPA. It's awesome. Also a bit of a shock since Armagon and Dissolution were both pretty generous with ammo.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Copper Vein posted:

I never played the first System Shock, but I have played SS2 through at least a dozen times and I always turn the soundtrack off immediately. The sounds of the ship and the Many and the polite robots are enough ambiance by themselves.

SS2's music adds a lot to the atmosphere, though. The theme for Hydroponics still gives me goosebumps.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

SS2's music adds a lot to the atmosphere, though. The theme for Hydroponics still gives me goosebumps.

Before I even clicked on that I knew it was going to be the one with the techno cat.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's a cool track, but there's no doubt in my mind that a beat like that would have ruined the tension and isolation of moments like when I was hiding on a cargo elevator waiting for a suicidal robot to stop searching for me, and moments like listening to the Many shamble past the door of the break room that I'd set up as my little safe area. These are moments that I distinctly remember from playthroughs over a decade ago, and are why I love SS2 so much.

Techno music won't add to why I like System Shock and if the soundtrack to a reboot is not composed as background ambiance then I expect I would want to turn it off too.

Kind of related, but Bioshock used music very sparingly as well didn't it? It mainly relied on environmental and enemy sounds to place you in the world.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Just played the System Shock 1 remake pre-alpha.

It's got potential. The combat is pretty janky; enemies can apparently still hit you even when they're dying, and melee combat is pretty dull. There's no way to tell what setting the laser gun is on, so you just gotta hit the F key and hope it can kill poo poo.

Overall though, it's a nice re-imagining of the original, but I wish there were more creepy moments. I would've liked more PA announcements hinting that things were wrong instead of just machinery sounds all the time.

I don't mind them sticking real close with what I've seen because the demo consisted of wandering through a small medbay and a maintenance tunnel, and there's not a lot you can do with that. I hope other areas, like the groves and the executive level, are expanded on instead of just being the old levels with a lot of spit and polish on their graphics.

I'm not going to donate, but I'll keep an eye out for it when it's released.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

closeted republican posted:

There's no way to tell what setting the laser gun is on, so you just gotta hit the F key and hope it can kill poo poo.

Actually you can, when the hacker turns the switch you can see the four modes. Overcharge is two dots, then work from the beginning from there.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Actually you can, when the hacker turns the switch you can see the four modes. Overcharge is two dots, then work from the beginning from there.

Oh. That would've been nice to have pointed out. :suicide:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone know any single player custom levels/packs as good as DOPA for Q1? Or is DOPA really the cream of the crop since it has literally 20 years of level design behind it?

The two official expansions always left me feeling pretty meh, since I never really cared for the new weapons or enemies, and the spinning brushes and such just felt super gimmicky.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Oh. That would've been nice to have pointed out. :suicide:

What really would've been nice to know was a clue for the fuse puzzle. Nothing happened when I interacted, until by pure chance I pushed something in.

Alternatively the fact that the keypad only needed 3 digits. Seeing 0451 keep throwing an error code confused me until I saw the writing and tried 451

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Load up Quake Injector and sort by rating. I've been slowly working my way through all the 5 star entries in order of release (sort by date, then rating) and while there are a few stinkers in there that definitely don't deserve 5 stars (Soldier of Fortune, I'm looking at you!), the level of quality is generally around what I've seen from DOPA so far.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What really would've been nice to know was a clue for the fuse puzzle. Nothing happened when I interacted, until by pure chance I pushed something in.

Alternatively the fact that the keypad only needed 3 digits. Seeing 0451 keep throwing an error code confused me until I saw the writing and tried 451

When I first saw the fuze puzzle, I thought I needed to find an object to fix it, not hump the thing so I can see the barely-pushed out nodes and push them back in. I looked for some sort of item until I got annoyed and started hitting the use key randomly on the fuze and saw that things were lighting up. Then I noticed the pushed-out nodes.

The keycode input system is crap too. I wish it did it Deus Ex style, instead of having to awkwardly hit each number with the use key.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd really prefer being able to input codes directly, and also being able to do the puzzles in a full window instead of having to click those little studs directly.

And yeah, the combat is pretty janky at the moment, and there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid getting hit in melee combat. If they can fix combat and some of the other stuff it'd go a long way to making this game pretty great.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

jeeves posted:

Anyone know any single player custom levels/packs as good as DOPA for Q1? Or is DOPA really the cream of the crop since it has literally 20 years of level design behind it?

The two official expansions always left me feeling pretty meh, since I never really cared for the new weapons or enemies, and the spinning brushes and such just felt super gimmicky.

Arcane Dimensions is the bomb. Map quality varies and there are a few puzzle maps and kill maps depending on what you like. Most of the new monsters are good. The new weapons are great including the triple Shotgun. YMMV but it's worth a look. The maps are picked from a hub so if you don't like one just quit and pick another.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As mentioned, Arcane Dimensions is THE best, but the Rubicon Rumble Pack is no slouch either, featuring several of the largest Quake maps ever made. Warpspasm is a pretty brutal campaign. You really can't go wrong checking out the top rated ones on Quaddicted:
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Some loose thoughts on the System Shock demo:

• I actually like that they seem to be sticking to graphically enhanced versions of the original game's maps. One thing I like about the original is how well it used the relatively simple map format to create complex, immersive areas, so it'll be neat to see how they continue working with those old designs.
  • So much bloom, holy poo poo. I actually spent a while strolling around smashing some of the big light fixtures out with the pipe just to improve the atmosphere a bit :v:
  • The weapons feel pretty nice, I think. Melee combat seemed kinda clumsy but I liked how the new lead pipe feels like a big chunk of metal instead of a baseball bat or something. Not being able to actually use batteries made me kind of reluctant to screw around with the Sparq too much though, and it really ought to be easier to tell what power setting it's on.
  • The puzzles felt annoying but maybe it was partially because all the lighting on the circuit puzzle made it kinda hard to see. Having a little pop-up window would be so much easier.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one though. I don't really expect (or care about) an "AAA-quality" product but I think if they manage to do a decent job capturing the feeling of the original then I'll be satisfied.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Episode 3 of RotT is off to a bad start already. I'm not enjoying E3M1 much at all :(

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't played ROTT '94, but I did watch Psychedelic Eyeball's LP of it. One of the things I remember being brought up during the LP was that ROTT & other shareware games of the time tended to front-load their best levels/content in the shareware episode or at the beginning of the game, while placing the sub-par content towards the end.

Psych also did a review of Extreme Rise of the Triad, which I recommend watching just so you're not tempted to try it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Episode 3 of RotT is off to a bad start already. I'm not enjoying E3M1 much at all :(

Honestly, the best part of Episode 3 is the boss. He is a tough motherfucker (harder than the final boss even).

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Map 9 in D2 Way id Did is a very bad map. :( This one and 33 are 2 major stinkers so far.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Honestly, the best part of Episode 3 is the boss. He is a tough motherfucker (harder than the final boss even).

Then I guess Intercepter faithfully remade the encounter in RotT 2013 because it was some serious loving bullshit.

Zeratanis posted:

Map 9 in D2 Way id Did is a very bad map. :(

Oh hey speaking of faithful recreations...

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 29, 2016

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Rubicon Rumble Pack is no slouch either, featuring several of the largest Quake maps ever made.

I know it's a pre-existing term with an actual meaning and all, but I simply can't read Rubicon without thinking Marathon, which caused me to re-read this entire post three times wondering what was going on. :downsgun:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwRpr-pZYuQ

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zeratanis posted:

Map 9 in D2 Way id Did is a very bad map. :(

Stuck on the elevator puzzle?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't played ROTT '94, but I did watch Psychedelic Eyeball's LP of it. One of the things I remember being brought up during the LP was that ROTT & other shareware games of the time tended to front-load their best levels/content in the shareware episode or at the beginning of the game, while placing the sub-par content towards the end.

Psych also did a review of Extreme Rise of the Triad, which I recommend watching just so you're not tempted to try it.

So, is Psych's LP of ROTT pretty much the go-to LP of the game? I'm interested in checking it out, because let's face it... I probably won't go back and play the game any time soon, so I might as well vicariously enjoy it.

poo poo, years ago, I never understood the appeal of watching other people play games, but when you're strapped for actual game time but end up having a lot of spare 'go on youtube' time, it's like you get 75-90% of the enjoyment of ACTUALLY playing it when watching someone else. Possibly over 100% if the commentator is enjoyable. I love MGS3 so much, and Chip's LP of it (with General Ironicus, I think) was super fantastic. Same with their Killer7 LP.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

poo poo, years ago, I never understood the appeal of watching other people play games, but when you're strapped for actual game time but end up having a lot of spare 'go on youtube' time, it's like you get 75-90% of the enjoyment of ACTUALLY playing it when watching someone else. Possibly over 100% if the commentator is enjoyable. I love MGS3 so much, and Chip's LP of it (with General Ironicus, I think) was super fantastic. Same with their Killer7 LP.
Twitch has basically become background noise on my second monitor when I'm doing dumb Doom mod stuff. Even when I'm not even watching, it's nice to have some speedrunner or Saltybet or something going on, just making noise.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TerminusEst13 posted:

I know it's a pre-existing term with an actual meaning and all, but I simply can't read Rubicon without thinking Marathon, which caused me to re-read this entire post three times wondering what was going on. :downsgun:

I'm surprised and gladdened that I'm not the only one. :downs:

The Kins posted:

Twitch has basically become background noise on my second monitor when I'm doing dumb Doom mod stuff. Even when I'm not even watching, it's nice to have some speedrunner or Saltybet or something going on, just making noise.

Yeah, it's pretty much just TV for me, including the fact that most of the stars are huge shitbags.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much just TV for me, including the fact that most of the stars are huge shitbags.
Less election ads than TV, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

This is definitely me with TV, but I was doing that with Game Grumps as well. And eventually, I'm getting rid of cable, so I guess I'll be going the Youtube/Twitch route.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zeratanis posted:

Map 9 in D2 Way id Did is a very bad map. :( This one and 33 are 2 major stinkers so far.

Isn't map 33 included as a joke?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

So, is Psych's LP of ROTT pretty much the go-to LP of the game? I'm interested in checking it out, because let's face it... I probably won't go back and play the game any time soon, so I might as well vicariously enjoy it.

PsyBall's LP of ROTT was actually the very first LP I watched from the beginning to end, before even registering here. During his run I bought the game (back when GOG was Good Old Games), completed and even pestered him a few times with PM's (back when YT had those). So yeah, it's a very cool LP and def reccomending it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think D2TWID's MAP33 is much better than D2's MAP33.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Does the Alt Weapons Pak for Quake not work if your Quake folder has un-packed Pak0 and Pak1 files? I couldn't get the Alt-Weap pak to work when it was originally posted, and it still doesn't work with the Easy Quake Zip that Dominic White recently posted.

I've been drag'n'dropping some old ID1 folder around from god knows where, but maybe I'll have to unearth my retail Quake CD and pull the vanilla Pak files off just to be sure.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I think D2TWID's MAP33 is much better than D2's MAP33.

Yeah, I actually kind of dig D2TWID's map 33, the absolutely hideous texture in the starting room notwithstanding. It plays well and the lack of ammo encourages you to use infighting to the fullest. The lava damage in the Red Key area could probably have been lowered from 20 to 10, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Isn't D2TWID Map33 a very specific joke? Namely, that the Xbox port of Doom 2 included a secret Map33 that was just an old lovely PWAD made back in the day by the port's programmer?