Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

interesting that it's 32 ROPs considering Fury was apparently ROP bottlenecked. Maybe they're confident in architecture improvements to not have to put in so many?

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Christ, all the 1080's and 1070's I was interested in just jumped in price by £20 and they're still preorders.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zotix posted:

Just grabbed a 1070 from MSI. How are they as a vendor? I've always been an Evga person.

Considered to be top tier as a product, RMA stuff average. You're not going to get screwed

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Any online retailers that ship to the US have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 besides Newegg and Amazon? Amazon does have one but it's some dickhead that's trying to flip it for almost $600

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

:lol: what case is that?

MSI cards are pretty tall but not generally that long but that has no chance of fitting in any way .. what is it replacing?

750 Ti. It's massive in comparison. Case is some cheap one I bought off newegg awhile back. Not a great case. Power button broke off within the first year.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Newegg just put up new stock of the aforementioned GTX 1070. I'm sure it will go quickly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Social Media fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 29, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Massasoit posted:

Does 1070 run cooler than 970 at load? Since it's summer my 970 is running at 76-80 while my CPU is at 65

I've yet to see my GPU hit above low 70s, I think 72 or 73 is the highest I've ever seen. Even when I leave the fan settings on default it usually goes up to 68-69C under load and idles in the 35-40C range. If I turn on a custom fan curve it goes up in the 65-66C range under load (and 70-80% fan speed, at which point I can actually hear the fan) and sits down around 30-31C idle. I haven't tried OCing it to the point that it crashes in 3D Mark but I'm sure if I pushed it hardder I'd get up in to the 70s for temp, maybe. Unless it simply can't draw enough power or stably OC at a high enough level to actually push temps that high. :shrug:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does the $399 Windforce 1070 have a backplate?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

Here we go again, new case time. :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends:

Decided on this. Should fit my CPU cooler and my card this time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUY58OA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

interesting that it's 32 ROPs considering Fury was apparently ROP bottlenecked. Maybe they're confident in architecture improvements to not have to put in so many?

I'm thinking yes, and they're hoping to make up the difference on a software level and it slightly explains Polaris 10s performance in games but seemingly lackluster scores in SteamVR - it can do VR but it's clearly hitting a bottleneck without software optimizations for the VR program.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bleh Maestro posted:

Does the $399 Windforce 1070 have a backplate?

Yes, although I'm curious how well it does with 2 fans.There's definitely room for the G1 to cut down on some cooling but it looks funky lol

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Amazon already put their 480s up and sold out. Might get one though by refreshing

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So not sure if this is really a question for this thread or the monitor thread, but here goes: Planning on buying either the 480 or 1070, but looked at the specs for my old DS-263N and it looks like it's just a single-link DVI connector. Would an adapter solve any connector issues or am I out of luck absent a new monitor?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Amazon already put their 480s up and sold out. Might get one though by refreshing

the MSI one is still available but idk why you'd pull the trigger prior to any real reviews

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

wicka posted:

the MSI one is still available but idk why you'd pull the trigger prior to any real reviews

C'mon man this thread is all about the hype and impulse purchasing things that are selling out quickly! Don't ruin our fun!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fletcher posted:

C'mon man this thread is all about the hype and impulse purchasing things that are selling out quickly! Don't ruin our fun!

i assure you i am going to impulse buy SOMETHING tomorrow, i'm just not sure what yet

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm waiting on the AIB non-reference 480s. I think that means that I have iron discipline compared to the rest of this thread.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I really wanted to wait for the 1080 ti but I just got a $700 refund and the impulse buy force is so strong :negative:. Must... Resist...

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

whowhatwhere posted:

So not sure if this is really a question for this thread or the monitor thread, but here goes: Planning on buying either the 480 or 1070, but looked at the specs for my old DS-263N and it looks like it's just a single-link DVI connector. Would an adapter solve any connector issues or am I out of luck absent a new monitor?

If you only have 1 monitor I wouldn't worry about it. Any new monitor you get will be Display Port so you can plug it into there and keep using the DVI port for your old one. Windows and the videocard don't care which port the primary monitor is connected to, you just have to tell it which is primary. The bios might be a bit strange and go to your side one, but you shouldn't have to spend enough time there for it to matter.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
So will people be posting the GTX 480 benchmarks after 12:00 am U.S Eastern time?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MaxxBot posted:

I really wanted to wait for the 1080 ti but I just got a $700 refund and the impulse buy force is so strong :negative:. Must... Resist...

Buy 150 shares of amd

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

objects in mirror posted:

So will people be posting the GTX 480 benchmarks after 12:00 am U.S Eastern time?
I think someone mentioned that the embargo on reviews ends at 9 am E.T. tomorrow morning.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Gonkish posted:

I'm waiting on the AIB non-reference 480s. I think that means that I have iron discipline compared to the rest of this thread.

:hfive:

This 780 is starting to feel a bit slow, but not 1070s costing $610CAD slow (dumb oil dollar). If it benches well then ~$335 is acceptable. Especially if I can flip this 780 for $100-$200 sometime soon.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Gonkish posted:

I'm using a non-reference 7850 that I paid $220 for in 2012. I have been waiting to be able to get a drop-in replacement that's solidly at least twice as good for around the same price, and I think it may be here with the 480 but am waiting to see what the reviews say.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gonkish posted:

I'm waiting on Vega. Gonna be a long wait still.

wicka posted:

Hey if you know you're going to buy in that price range and want a blower, the sooner you get the card the more time the purchase gets amortized over! Every second you wait makes it a less cost effective purchase!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm waiting for RX480 reviews/benchmarks :f5:

If the RX480 turns out to be :mediocre: then I'll just wait for the GTX1060.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

You really won't see those until 8 or 9 am est. Go to bed, watch the thread blow up in 200 posts when you wake up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krailor posted:

You should wait to see if what AMD's offering is 'Good Enough' for you, but don't think for a second that the RX 480 is going to have any impact on 1070/1080 pricing.

What makes you say that? I think quite a few people looking to upgrade are wavering between the RX 480 (depending on its expected performance) and the GTX 1070, where price is a major determining factor. I would expect demand for the latter card to ease up a bit as a result. Sure, you probably would prefer a 1070, but if you have to pay out the rear end and/or you can't get your hands on one and/or it would be overkill for you anyway, I can see a lot of people settling for the 480. Especially since it apparently will be in abundant supply, though we won't know for sure until later this week.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
MSY which is usually one of the cheaper places confirmed their price for the 8gb 480.

$440. About a $100 over what I wanted to spend. Oh well, I'll wait it out again.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I wonder how many more companies will price the 480 at the same level as the 290/390, and thus render the card almost completely redundant... Exciting day today!

(:negative:)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Verizian posted:

Christ, all the 1080's and 1070's I was interested in just jumped in price by £20 and they're still preorders.

Overclockers have mentioned on their forums how the exchange rate shift completely wiped out their margin on pre-orders and they're now committed to several million worth of orders where they will either make nothing or a minor loss.

It's not supply/demand or anything to do with preorders, that price hike is because you are paying in sterling and the shop is paying in dollars.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Overclockers have mentioned on their forums how the exchange rate shift completely wiped out their margin on pre-orders and they're now committed to several million worth of orders where they will either make nothing or a minor loss.

It's not supply/demand or anything to do with preorders, that price hike is because you are paying in sterling and the shop is paying in dollars.

Funny, yesterday I ordered a MSI FE 1070 from scan for £400, checked the prices a couple hours later and all the FE models are now £430. Also it looks like most of the aib cards got a price bump. I still dont get who is going to buy the Asus ROG card for £500+

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

xthetenth posted:

I'm waiting on Vega. Gonna be a long wait still.

Leak from reddit:

I know AMD was celebrating a "development milestone" a few days ago, maybe it's on track for Q4?

Also: 6 more hours for 480 benchmarks.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
edit: nvm

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

spasticColon posted:

I saw a comparison vid of Witcher 3 from China where a RX480 at stock 1266MHz is dead even with a GTX 970 OCed @ 1410MHz. I'm pretty sure the latter is already stock 980 territory. The only downer for the RX 480 is the fan was spinning at 2700 rpm.

My body is ready for AMD.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I did read somewhere (I forget where) that the Polish magazine that had the 480 equal to a 970 was using a Zotac (?) factory overclocked card that performs on par with a normal 980. Or something.

It's been a crazy ride, AMD. I might actually miss the rampant speculation and rumours. It made the internet feel like some sort of interactive detective or spy movie. But hey, as soon as the 480 comes out and benchmarks happen, we'll just move to speculating on Vega.

Also, AU$440 for the 480 is a rip. I'd wait for a 1060 but that's not happening til like October. Ugh. I really want a new, reasonably priced card before then, hopefully in the next few months. Probably gonna bite the bullet and import one cause gently caress paying that.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 29, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Palladium posted:

I saw a comparison vid of Witcher 3 from China where a RX480 at stock 1266MHz is dead even with a GTX 970 OCed @ 1410MHz. I'm pretty sure the latter is already stock 980 territory. The only downer for the RX 480 is the fan was spinning at 2700 rpm.

My body is ready for AMD.

Well aren't there going to be RX480 cards that come with nice custom coolers on them?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They'll be there in 1-2 weeks, difference is they might actually exist

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

The RX 490 may just be a card with two Polaris GPUs, so I wouldn't say Vega 2016 is necessarily confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Newegg listings:

XFX RX 480. Factory OC "core clock" to 1328 MHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150772
XFX RX 480. Factory OC "boost clock" to 1288 MHz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150770

Assuming "stock" clocks are the 1200 Mhz, that's 10%, and not even playing the silicon lottery yet.