Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mr. Nice! posted:

5th has 3 Clinton judges, 3 Obama, 6 Reagan, 6 GW Bush, 2 Carter, 2 GHW Bush, and 2 vacancies. There are 14 conservative appointments to 8 liberal and two empty seats at the moment.

Lol loving what, how old are these judges, 90?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Playstation 4 posted:

Lol loving what, how old are these judges, 90?

One had his ninety‐fifth birthday a week ago. The other is 78 (41 when appointed).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ogmius815 posted:

Can someone more familiar with Casey compare the application of the undue burden standard there and in this case? Does this ruling indicate that the undue burden standard may have more teeth than it has had before?

One of the profs at my school wrote a pretty good article about what the majority did with undue burden yesterday.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/06/symposium-the-court-once-again-makes-the-undue-burden-test-a-referendum-on-the-facts/

Basically where there was no real test before from Casey, there is now a balancing test for lower courts to use to weigh any benefit (if any) using scientific evidence against the actual burden caused to women. In the present case there was no actual benefit to any of Texas' regs and a massive burden on the women of the state.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ogmius815 posted:

Can someone more familiar with Casey compare the application of the undue burden standard there and in this case? Does this ruling indicate that the undue burden standard may have more teeth than it has had before?

Yes

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gazpacho posted:

A more typical severability clause would say that each part of the act's text should be reviewed and invalidated separately. If any paragraph or clause of the act is finally found to be unenforceable, then that paragraph or clause is effectively off the books.

This one says that any provision of the act which is ruled unenforceable in a particular case nonetheless remains enforceable against the next poor sucker who comes along. It's conservative wet-dream law that no self-respecting judiciary would tolerate, so of course it ended up in this particular act.

Okay, so it's an attempt to change the way remedies are done in law back to the older method, which only allowed remedies for the exact case being dealt with. Or at least that's how I remember it being explained to me in a poli sci course 15 years ago. It confuses me why they'd bother, since any court willing to strike down the law would also wreck that provision too. Or is this another case of lawmakers attempting to write into a law what the judiciary is allowed to do with it, ala those laws that state that the court doesn't have the ability to review them?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of the profs at my school wrote a pretty good article about what the majority did with undue burden yesterday.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/06/symposium-the-court-once-again-makes-the-undue-burden-test-a-referendum-on-the-facts/

Basically where there was no real test before from Casey, there is now a balancing test for lower courts to use to weigh any benefit (if any) using scientific evidence against the actual burden caused to women. In the present case there was no actual benefit to any of Texas' regs and a massive burden on the women of the state.

The primary thing that concerns me about having fact based inquiries is that the pro-life side has no problem manufacturing expert testimony, and friendly courts might be willing to turn a blind eye to it.

Also Texas Politicians are really mad that they are being prevented from being shitheads and are promising to pass new anti-abortion laws come spring.

quote:

“We do not know exactly what’s possible under this decision,” said Joe Pojman, executive director of the advocacy group Texas Alliance for Life. “We’re going to be poring through it with our attorneys and our physicians to figure out if the Supreme Court will allow the state to do anything meaningful to raise the safety standards at those freestanding abortion facilities.”

Pojman said his group would continue promoting “compassionate alternatives to abortion,” including asking lawmakers for more state funding for “pro-life pregnancy resource centers centers” that provide parenting information to low-income women. He said his group was also pushing for a "wrongful birth" law that would prevent parents from suing a doctor who fails to warn them about fetal problems. Abortion rights activists have opposed similar proposals, which they say give doctors the right to withhold information so women don't have abortions.

Stickland said the Supreme Court ruling made clear that lawmakers must “focus more on the child itself as opposed to anything to deal with the mother, from a legislative standpoint.” He pointed out that courts had not invalidated state bans on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, including one passed in Texas as part of House Bill 2.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 28, 2016

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone listened to Radiolabs's More Perfect? Right now I'm listening to their latest episode, which is about Lawrence v. Texas and the Fisher case. So far I think it's interesting, tho I don't know about having Edward Blum on.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gyre posted:

Has anyone listened to Radiolabs's More Perfect? Right now I'm listening to their latest episode, which is about Lawrence v. Texas and the Fisher case. So far I think it's interesting, tho I don't know about having Edward Blum on.

I've listened to the first two so far, the episode on Baker v. Carr was really good. I don't know how much they played up the drama caused by Frankenfurter and Douglas but it was a good story at least.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shifty Pony posted:

He said his group was also pushing for a "wrongful birth" law that would prevent parents from suing a doctor who fails to warn them about fetal problems.

That is absolutely vile. "We want your doctor to be legally able to lie to you, but it's for a good cause!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Something similar was done down here with a law that prevented doctors from asking parents about guns when discussing their child's safety. That's currently in court.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Litany Unheard posted:

That is absolutely vile. "We want your doctor to be legally able to lie to you, but it's for a good cause!"

I'm sure their motives are vile, but that's actually an issue that's been hotly debated for a long time outside the general abortion debate and courts have come down on both sides of it. There is a certain .. well, wariness ... of a court looking at a person and awarding damages for allowing that person to exist. It's one of those things that either choice is kind of going down a rabbit hole of unexpected consequences.

However, there's obviously a very big difference between malpractice in failing to discover and warn about problems that are not fixable, and affirmatively refusing to disclose stuff the doctor knows. To the extent that the laws allow doctors to lie as opposed to it being a malpractice issue it becomes very simple because you don't need to find that allowing the now an actual person child to exist is damages, you've got a doctor withholding important information from a patient which is itself damages.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Shifty Pony posted:

Also Texas Politicians are really mad that they are being prevented from being shitheads and are promising to pass new anti-abortion laws come spring.

quote:

"I would expect an absolute onslaught of pro-life legislation in the next session," said state Rep.Jonathan Stickland, R-Bedford. “I’ve never been this upset before, I mean just like truly upset,”

Whoa whoa whoa. Pro-life? Wait, I thought these bills were about women's health and safety???

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Pro-life? Wait, I thought these bills were about women's health and safety???

Love it when the GOP gets trolled into admitting the actual reasons behind stuff. Like when a Republican official in PA bragged in an interview that voter ID laws had "worked" because PA went slightly more for Romney than expected :laugh:

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Gyre posted:

I've enjoyed it, but like a lot of Radiolab, I really enjoy the episodes that I know nothing about the subject (so the Baker v. Carr ep was great), but I'm usually disappointed when I go into the episode with prior knowledge (thought they ignored several things in the death penalty ep). Probably not well-suited for people with actual legal training, but it's probably worth checking out for the rest of us who come in here to better understand the Court's reasoning.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Gyre posted:

Along these lines, anyone have any recommended podcasts for hearing about court rulings and their legal reasoning? I started listening to Citizen's Guide to the Supreme Court recently and have enjoyed it (probably because the two guys spend half the episode talking about food in a side tangent) and SCOTUSBlog and Supreme Court Briefing seem to give concise explanations of various rulings.

Any others that anyone would recommend?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

quote:

Pojman said his group would continue promoting “compassionate alternatives to abortion,” including asking lawmakers for more state funding for “pro-life pregnancy resource centers centers” that provide parenting information to low-income women.
If they really wanted fewer abortions, maybe they should try funding more than just "parenting information". Like food, diapers, childcare, children's clothes, etc. It's funny how I never seem to see pro-life groups pushing stuff like that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

g0del posted:

If they really wanted fewer abortions, maybe they should try funding more than just "parenting information". Like food, diapers, childcare, children's clothes, etc. It's funny how I never seem to see pro-life groups pushing stuff like that.

But taxation is theft :colbert:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zeroprime posted:

Along these lines, anyone have any recommended podcasts for hearing about court rulings and their legal reasoning? I started listening to Citizen's Guide to the Supreme Court recently and have enjoyed it (probably because the two guys spend half the episode talking about food in a side tangent) and SCOTUSBlog and Supreme Court Briefing seem to give concise explanations of various rulings.

Any others that anyone would recommend?

Slate's Amicus podcast has been decent when I've listened to it.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Bloomberg I think puts out a quick 10-15 min legal podcast that covers legal news. Had it recommended by a professor but have never listened to it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

g0del posted:

If they wanted fewer abortions, they'd promote safe sex and sex ed that isn't just abstinence.

But, y'know, Jesus.

Also, apparently the SCOTUS refused to hear a case on a Pharmacist who refused to fill a prescription based on religious beliefs, which upholds the lower courts ruling that you do not have the right to refuse to fill a prescription based on belief.

Good.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 28, 2016

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/03/alabama_senate_passes_bill_to_3.html

Short backstory: Alabama passed laws similar to Texas, requiring wider doors and hallways. One clinic jumps through all those hoops, builds new facility near a school. Alabama responds by banning clinics near schools.

Would yesterday's ruling have any effect on this situation?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meat Recital posted:

Short backstory: Alabama passed laws similar to Texas, requiring wider doors and hallways. One clinic jumps through all those hoops, builds new facility near a school. Alabama responds by banning clinics near schools.

What he says, basically the Supreme Court has called out states that try to argue they are making access safer by denying access as failing to actually support those claims. Chances are Alabama cannot support their claims and reasoning either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Meat Recital posted:

Yes, there's even less of an argument the state could make for a law like this because it is arbitrary as hell.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Meat Recital posted:

I won't answer but I will note:

- The followup ban has no legislative findings. If the state government wants to argue that it serves some state interest, they have the work cut out for them.
- It was publicly justified on the grounds of protecting children from abortion protests. So why is it unconditional? Why doesn't it tell the licensing authority to make the call according to circumstances?
- Or, why isn't the local jurisdiction trusted to set appropriate time/manner rules for the protests?

Of course we both know what's up with this law, it's just a question of how the clinic can persuade the court that it lacks any legitimate purpose.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 28, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also there's specific precedent regarding a protestor's veto so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gazpacho posted:

- It was publicly justified on the grounds of protecting children from abortion protests. So why is it unconditional? Why doesn't it tell the licensing authority to make the call according to circumstances?
- Or, why isn't the local jurisdiction trusted to set appropriate time/manner rules for the protests?

Ban protests when children are present, you know, like the school zone speed limit.

Coincidentally, these happen to be prime business hours.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you all thought the :qq:ing was done after the abortion decision

you were wrong

quote:

This case is an ominous sign.
At issue are Washington State regulations that are
likely to make a pharmacist unemployable if he or she
objects on religious grounds to dispensing certain prescription
medications. There are strong reasons to doubt
whether the regulations were adopted for—or that they
actually serve—any legitimate purpose. And there is
much evidence that the impetus for the adoption of the
regulations was hostility to pharmacists whose religious
beliefs regarding abortion and contraception are out of
step with prevailing opinion in the State. Yet the Ninth
Circuit held that the regulations do not violate the First
Amendment, and this Court does not deem the case worthy
of our time. If this is a sign of how religious liberty
claims will be treated in the years ahead, those who value
religious freedom have cause for great concern.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/062816zr_29m1.pdf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh no! People who refuse to do their job are unemployable!

[Fœtus‐sized violin plays.]

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

you all thought the :qq:ing was done after the abortion decision

you were wrong

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/062816zr_29m1.pdf

:getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

zygote‐sized violin plays.

It has not been a good year for the Religious Right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Platystemon posted:

Oh no! People who refuse to do their job are unemployable!

[Fœtus‐sized violin plays.]

There goes my dream of being a declared Christian Scientist and Pharmacist.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

quote:

At issue are Washington State regulations that are
likely to make a pharmacist unemployable if he or she
objects on religious grounds to dispensing certain prescription
medications.
Awww, people that selectively refuse to do their jobs can't keep their jobs? Do tell.:bahgawd:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

About the domestic abuser case, how impactful is this case when it is increasingly easy for even felons to regain their gun rights? Article is a couple of years old: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/us/felons-finding-it-easy-to-regain-gun-rights.html?_r=0

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wonder if they've ever considered a test case for a Catholic 7/11 worker who refuses to sell condoms.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Shageletic posted:

About the domestic abuser case, how impactful is this case when it is increasingly easy for even felons to regain their gun rights? Article is a couple of years old: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/us/felons-finding-it-easy-to-regain-gun-rights.html?_r=0

I am confused. I thought that any felony conviction barred you from possessing a firearm under federal law, but reading that article it sounds like if you are convicted in state court then the Feds are punting to the states to as to whether gun rights are restored, and only in federal convictions does the federal bar apply (and, barring a pardon, good luck trying to get gun rights restored by the federal government). Is that truly the case?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

LongSack posted:

I am confused. I thought that any felony conviction barred you from possessing a firearm under federal law, but reading that article it sounds like if you are convicted in state court then the Feds are punting to the states to as to whether gun rights are restored, and only in federal convictions does the federal bar apply (and, barring a pardon, good luck trying to get gun rights restored by the federal government). Is that truly the case?

Confirmed for Texas at least...

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Awww, people that selectively refuse to do their jobs can't keep their jobs? Do tell.:bahgawd:

[Jeremy Irons voice]

My religion tells me I hate all government in all its shapes and vices and vile forms.

And yet I'm running to be your mayor.

And yet I'm running to be your state legislator.

And yet I'm running to be your Congressperson.

And yet I'm running to be your Senator in the United States of America.

And, alas, I'm running in your To Make America Grate Again.

I await, eagerly, on your docket.

[Aside]

It has not been a good year for the Religious Right.

Yay!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I think Individual pharmacists can still refuse to personally dispense contraceptives on a religious basis. The lower court ruling seems to say that's fine, as long as the pharmacy still stocks the contraceptives and has at least one person on hand who doesn't have a religious issue with dispensing.

Not totally sure how I feel about that one - forcing a marketplace to carry certain products. I'm guessing because a pharmacy has to be accredited by the state somehow, they can dictate that they must have X, Y and Z products to get a license or qualify, and the state just put contraceptives on that list.

Otherwise, could a state dictate that all establishments who want a liquor license must sell Snakejuice[tm]?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Barbed Tongues posted:

Otherwise, could a state dictate that all establishments who want a liquor license must sell Snakejuice[tm]?

I think that booze a healthcare product are pretty different. Though some states do require places that sell booze to also sell food so yeah I guess they totally could require snakejuice be sold.