Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Play of the Match doesn't sound as good as Play of the Game.

I won 1 game of competitive and am now retiring unbeaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Geokinesis posted:

Play of the Match doesn't sound as good as Play of the Game.

I won 1 game of competitive and am now retiring unbeaten.

Same. While I wouldn't mind having a golden gun for McCree, I don't really want to go through it looks like 299 matches and pray I never have a internet issue in the middle of a match or get serve penalty.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thanks for being on my team in a competitive game, dickwad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There are windows in the Hollywood attacker doors!! :dance:

Reaper's teleport animation is team specific now!! :dance:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Night Blade posted:

Better than being stuck in a lopsided game. The person who leaves suffers heavy penalties apparently.

It says 'you can leave without taking a loss' so I left and was given a loss :/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mega Comrade posted:

drat, the game trolled the poo poo out of you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

First game, someone leaves. Game ends. Doesn't even look for another person either.

Seriously?

They said they won't backfill in comp games.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

teagone posted:

Let's get our placement matches done dude.

Working late all week, usually not home until 1am EST. You guys are gonna have to crater your ranks without me :getin:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

1am est is usually when I get on :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was playing like poo poo all day, and now I go to check master overwatch to see what changed and... nothing changed? it didn't even catch the games I played, of which there were a lot

definitely ok with it if that ddos ate my stats for the day

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
What's the penalty for leaving? It's annoying to have the match just end 2 minutes in. I hope it's harsh

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was playing like poo poo all day, and now I go to check master overwatch to see what changed and... nothing changed? it didn't even catch the games I played, of which there were a lot

definitely ok with it if that ddos ate my stats for the day

it waits for the bnet public site to update to your game profile

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

I've never seen it say that. I've seen it say "You can leave without penalty but you'll take a loss".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

it waits for the bnet public site to update to your game profile

every other time its updated, it actually did update but this time it didn't :shrug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

every other time its updated, it actually did update but this time it didn't :shrug:

compare it to what it shows for your stats at playoverwatch.com

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

why do i have a weird white thing next to my name and not a purple dash?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

why do i have a weird white thing next to my name and not a purple dash?

I'm going to guess it's because that's you. You special snowflake!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
white-on-purple, viral twitch marketing

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rirse posted:

Same. While I wouldn't mind having a golden gun for McCree, I don't really want to go through it looks like 299 matches and pray I never have a internet issue in the middle of a match or get serve penalty.

I think it gives more points after the initial placement matches.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

compare it to what it shows for your stats at playoverwatch.com

rip my tracer k/d

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

keyframe posted:

I think it gives more points after the initial placement matches.

according to this neato gif from the Guide To Competitive Overwatch Official Blizzard Post, it does not.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Another problem I've found of Zenyatta's is that his Discord travel-time and application time is accurate to each other. Which is to say, at mid-range, it takes almost a second for your Discord to actually apply the damage boost, during which you will fire almost 2.5 projectiles at the enemy.

This also means that swapping orbs constantly is actually really detrimental to orb uptime. Incidentally, this also means it applies to Harmony, which means people that keep dancing in and out of your line of sight and breaking Harmony will cost you a lot more healing time than it might seem.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Well hey guys what's this 'Competitive' thing all about..."

Hop in there with 5 chill goons from Broverwatch...

Attack on Valskya industries, get shut down so hard we can't leave the spawn room.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Man, competitive allowing groups vs people who solo queue is zero fun.

Can no one else join after someone on your side has quit? Because that's what it seems like and ended up pitting us 3v6 for two rounds of embarrassment.

=/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mcvey posted:

Working late all week, usually not home until 1am EST. You guys are gonna have to crater your ranks without me :getin:

BOOOOOOO

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Can no one else join after someone on your side has quit? Because that's what it seems like and ended up pitting us 3v6 for two rounds of embarrassment.

=/

Not only that but if you quit games too often you'll be locked out of Competitive for the rest of the Season.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

nickhimself posted:

=/

jeff kaplan literally said they will not backfill competitive games

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Competitive is a grind and in the long run as long as you aren't a rage-quitter, a baddy, or an AFKer, or a 5-year old kid, or whatever you blame your losses on, then you will reach your true skill rating.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Imagined posted:

"Well hey guys what's this 'Competitive' thing all about..."

Hop in there with 5 chill goons from Broverwatch...

Attack on Valskya industries, get shut down so hard we can't leave the spawn room.

tihs has nothing to do with competitive and everything to do with bad luck, there haven't been enough games for either you or your opponents to actually properly matchmake you, just like there weren't enough games when the game came out for quick play

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just do what sensible people are doing, wait for a week for all the literal children who want to prove their sick skills to get moved into whatever bracket they are in, then play Competitive.

Playing early in what is essentially a brand new mode is going to bring bad results.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
That new brawl almost made me barf.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Yep, matches take a long time to finish.

At least it's not like in League where a game can reach a completely unwinnable state for 15 minutes before you're allowed to MAYBE forfeit.

First placement was a shutout, won easily.

Second game, won slightly less easily.

Third game, came back from a 2 point deficit to take it back after teaching our Zenyatta that switching away from the only healer roll into soldier 76 is not a great idea.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Should be a limit of 1 mercy on that brawl mode, then it would be fun.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Yep, matches take a long time to finish.

At least it's not like in League where a game can reach a completely unwinnable state for 15 minutes before you're allowed to MAYBE forfeit.

First placement was a shutout, won easily.

Second game, won slightly less easily.

Third game, came back from a 2 point deficit to take it back after teaching our Zenyatta that switching away from the only healer roll into soldier 76 is not a great idea.

76 is a better healer than Zen is anyway

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It feels like they're leaning too heavily on limited hero restrictions in Brawls; Soldier 76 was the best just because how it forced you to learn survival skills, most of the others have just felt gimmicky. Mystery Heroes is still the simplest and best, in any case, I'd love to see it as a regular mode.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Solo queuing placement matches is a form of self harm.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did they add a delay for Mercy beam clicks if you're not using toggle beam? Just noticed it tonight

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Wow these matches take a long time, wasn't expecting that. But man competitive play is fun. Got into support by default and usually I do pretty well but in a 4-4 tie on Temple of Anubis and get attack on sudden death and everyone knows to use my speed boost to sneak around corners and when I use break it down everyone gets aggressive and takes points. Now that's a fun experience.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Completed the matches. 9 wins, 1 loss thanks to a DC. Got "58", whatever that means.

What do these numbers mean exactly? People told me it's not Elo, is it like Hearthstone where you need to get to a certain rank before it shows your ladder position?
Does it go up (where 59 would be better) or down?

Edit: Oh found it here. Apparently 50 is meant to be the average and it goes 1 to 100.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

i have literally never played on battle.net before and pubbies in this game are uniquely trash. can i play with goons here?? i'm dorkasaurus#11797 i'm a p decent pharah tho