Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually that sound change didn't work because every time I load my file it resets every option to te defaults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nevermind I found the in game menu. Phew

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I saw a couple reviews imply that you can leave a puzzle room and go play another branch and then later resume the puzzle room where you left off , but unless I am missing something this is not the case. Oops

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I'm going to make some tea and stay up till 1am and maybe I'll have finished this first puzzle room because it's already kind of overwhelming and I need to get my pen and paper out

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

no they will not posted:

here's my early theory: the decision game is based around the anthropic principle, since the world "ends" if the game is lost the only "canon" timelines can be ones in which the game is won, the only such timeline will be: the one in which the coin flip is called correctly

lmfao i just finished a segment called "anthropic principle"

i don't think my theory is right though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I learned about what that is in Haruhi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Structure spoilers: the fragment system is extremely cool and the first puzzle room I did completely just randomly is the Transport room which may wind up having insane implications on the rest of the plot, and knowing it was just one of many choices, gives me hope that this game is going to be ridiculous from start to finish

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I think I'm going to make some tea and stay up till 1am and maybe I'll have finished this first puzzle room because it's already kind of overwhelming and I need to get my pen and paper out

I like how the odds are extremely slim that any of us are dealing with any of the same poo poo after the short intro section. Seriously (non-specific very early game structural stuff) there are like 9 different fragments and puzzle rooms available right off the get-go and god knows what else to come. Im glad I played VLR this year because otherwise my brain would be mush right now. Also im happy to see that one of my only issues with VLR is being improved upon -- even though the puzzle rooms were fun they usually felt really arbitrary and what you did in them didn't tie into the narrative at all, it just felt like an excuse for some puzzles. So far two of the three I've done have involved some very serious story advancement tied to your actual solving of the puzzle room itself instead of just "do this to open the door so you can get on with the story" and that's freaking awesome. Which room are you talking about? Wonder if it's the one I'm on because it's a doozy and there's no way I'm doing it without a pen and paper and a calculator

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

Structure spoilers: the fragment system is extremely cool and the first puzzle room I did completely just randomly is the Transport room which may wind up having insane implications on the rest of the plot, and knowing it was just one of many choices, gives me hope that this game is going to be ridiculous from start to finish

Oh yeah that's one of the ones I was referring to in my post. It's really cool how the puzzles are no longer just a means to escape the room and get on with the plot

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
D is my fav group

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

D is my fav group

Obviously gravitated towards them because of the players involved but I've also been doing some Team C stuff. Team Q is for losers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I like how the odds are extremely slim that any of us are dealing with any of the same poo poo after the short intro section. Seriously (non-specific very early game structural stuff) there are like 9 different fragments and puzzle rooms available right off the get-go and god knows what else to come. Im glad I played VLR this year because otherwise my brain would be mush right now. Also im happy to see that one of my only issues with VLR is being improved upon -- even though the puzzle rooms were fun they usually felt really arbitrary and what you did in them didn't tie into the narrative at all, it just felt like an excuse for some puzzles. So far two of the three I've done have involved some very serious story advancement tied to your actual solving of the puzzle room itself instead of just "do this to open the door so you can get on with the story" and that's freaking awesome. Which room are you talking about? Wonder if it's the one I'm on because it's a doozy and there's no way I'm doing it without a pen and paper and a calculator

Agreed on all accounts. This game is incredible

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

no they will not posted:

D is my fav group

In Training posted:

Obviously gravitated towards them because of the players involved but I've also been doing some Team C stuff. Team Q is for losers

Favorite so far as well. Here's a little work-in-progress shot of the gangtag I'm whipping up for us

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Favorite so far as well. Here's a little work-in-progress shot of the gangtag I'm whipping up for us

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't even know how to spoiler stuff because of the chronology but I'll just say uh C Team early available fragment spoiler: the Junpei monologue detailing why he's become an insane sociopath over the last 9 months and then instantly trying to kill 6 people by melting them with hydrofluoric acid was badass

The decisions in this game are way more brutal than they were in the previous two, The Decision Game does not gently caress around

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

all the team q scenes becomes retroactively amazing once you get the uh crossbow scene

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually haven't done a single Q scene yet but I bet they'll be cool.

Unrelated but I hope clover shows up in some capacity

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They called a mill a lathe. Fail.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
junpei doesn't understand the monty hall problem

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The only minor thing I have to bitch about is how the skip text function works .... You have to enable it in the menu to even have it in un-played story parts but sometimes hitting the button will arbitrarily skip multiple lines of conversation instead of just the one that's currently displayed so it's really never "safe" to use if you don't want to miss anything.

I like the voice acting and the new cutscene structure a lot (and the animation isn't as bad as I expected considering they certainly didn't have the budget to mo-cap stuff) but sometimes I just wanna hurry up and get through the text as fast as I can read it and there's not really any good way to do so.

Pretty small nitpick though and overall it's worth it because I think I prefer the new 3D style to the traditional VN stuff. Even though the assets are simple they do some fun, dramatic stuff with the camera angles and a lot of the backgrounds look great . I also love how much faster and less clunky it is to navigate around the puzzle rooms

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They've also used it to make the puzzle rooms more dynamic themselves. Pretty much everything in every room in VLR was eventually used in the puzzle but in this game they actually put flavor and extra junk around

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
spoiler free thing: i found a lock where i have to choose a character by typing in their name but if i type in Q it says i have to type their real name. so every time someone alludes to a character from their backstory i immediately go to that path and type it in just in case they're secretly Q

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

spoiler free thing: i found a lock where i have to choose a character by typing in their name but if i type in Q it says i have to type their real name. so every time someone alludes to a character from their backstory i immediately go to that path and type it in just in case they're secretly Q

You should try typing in the name associated with your PSN account or something fucky like that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

no they will not posted:

If this is what I'm thinking of (Easter egg) (I think) try typing in the dogs name -- there's a response for every thing and it's great

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

goferchan posted:

If this is what I'm thinking of (Easter egg) (I think) try typing in the dogs name -- there's a response for every thing and it's great

its the crossbow route but if thats not the one you mean i got that one too

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i got the ending that's canon with vlr's future o_o

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You know you're in for some poo poo when they force you to follow only one fragment.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

You know you're in for some poo poo when they force you to follow only one fragment.

I just got that and it terrified me. Also (D Team robot room but maybe it happens elsewhere idk) being able to gently caress up a puzzle room so bad that you get a game over really hosed with my preconceptions of the series. I'm an extremely good gamer and never actually hosed things up enough to get things to that point but the game was pretty clear that this could potentially happen so now I guess I gotta go back and fail on purpose

Edit: the game overs in general seem to have a lot more content and plot-relevant stuff go on than in previous games, too. It's not just a fun "what-if" scenario like in VLR I feel like some of these Ive seen definitely must be vital to progressing the game. Also the only draw for me getting the game on 3DS was the notetaking function but I still feel like I haven't scratched the surface of poo poo and I have already written down way too much stuff to fit in the in-game notes and pen&paper seems pretty much necessary

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 29, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also pro-tip if you have a smartphone handy because this is basically the only reason I was able to beat The Witness: apps like Snapchat where you can take a picture of your screen and then draw/write on it within the app are really really helpful for some puzzle room stuff

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i finished the game but i have one file still listed as ??? so what the gently caress. it's not even a story file, it's a quest file

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Really good game. short, though. finished it in something like three sittings

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

Really good game. short, though. finished it in something like three sittings

Was it like three ten hour sittings

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Because I've gone 5+ hours without a single ending yet...

goferchan posted:

I just got that and it terrified me. Also (D Team robot room but maybe it happens elsewhere idk) being able to gently caress up a puzzle room so bad that you get a game over really hosed with my preconceptions of the series. I'm an extremely good gamer and never actually hosed things up enough to get things to that point but the game was pretty clear that this could potentially happen so now I guess I gotta go back and fail on purpose

Edit: the game overs in general seem to have a lot more content and plot-relevant stuff go on than in previous games, too. It's not just a fun "what-if" scenario like in VLR I feel like some of these Ive seen definitely must be vital to progressing the game. Also the only draw for me getting the game on 3DS was the notetaking function but I still feel like I haven't scratched the surface of poo poo and I have already written down way too much stuff to fit in the in-game notes and pen&paper seems pretty much necessary

This was an awesome room. I also like that the decisions are way more dynamic than the AB rooms. One of the weird things about VLR is that (overall kinda plot stuff I suppose) for all the talk of how dangerous the Nonary Game was, I don't think anybody ever actually dies, and you yourself can't ever be in the position where choosing betray can kill somebody. Whereas in this game the first time you vote you're treated with a scene of the people you betrayed gruesomely getting their heads blown off. It's brutal. Also makes me seriously question "who" you're playing as this time, I wonder how the multiple leader protagonist structure is going to fit into the overarching Free the Soul narrative

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The steam version is out and I just used my phone to remotely install it from work. It's almost time....

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

just picked this up on steam. got to the credits for the first time in like 7 minutes. this fragment system is some good poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

no they will not posted:

i finished the game but i have one file still listed as ??? so what the gently caress. it's not even a story file, it's a quest file

Could it be from the Q-team study? There's a missable file you get from the chair that tells you you need to combine the A+B+C+D+E+F parts together lol in case it somehow wasn't clear

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

holy poo poo timb cuck

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

holy poo poo timb cuck

:staredog:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i thought this game was going to be 30 dollars not 40 dollars fuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

Because I've gone 5+ hours without a single ending yet...

19 hours playtime on my save but I didn't sleep at all last night

• Locked thread