Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chair In A Basket posted:

i want weed to be legal

i want vaping to be illegal

i want this done now!

Why should vaping be illegal? It basically ensures that these people will never get laid and reproduce, ergo it's a benefit for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pinterest Mom posted:

They do, but if there's a pool of money at the federal level just sitting there and being unused, it makes more sense to tap into that (or some equivalent shift of the tax base, like transferring a point of GST to the provinces) to cover some of the health costs rather than raise taxes.

The ~household~ analogy would be, I don't know, the husband working a 40k a year job and needing to borrow 5k a year to cover for the family's child care costs while the wife working the 100k a year job is putting 40k a year into savings. Like, sure, maybe the husband could make different spending choices or look for another job, but maybe also the wife could chip in.

Why are you using a metaphor for government spending which is both inaccurate and politically loaded? Overcoming the "government budgets are just like household budgets" mythology was one of the greatest intellectual triumphs of the 30s-40s, and the return of that kind of thinking in the 1990s was very closely related with the intellectual rehabilitation of government austerity as a viable path to growth.

The most charitable interpretation of what you're saying here is that while provincial government's could raise taxes they aren't going to for whatever reason. But your chosen metaphor -- and it's hardly an innocent choice, you're politically savvy enough to be perfectly aware of what is entailed by the view you're advocating -- completely excludes that option.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Boom headshot, that house. The trafficccccc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Why are you using a metaphor for government spending which is both inaccurate and politically loaded? Overcoming the "government budgets are just like household budgets" mythology was one of the greatest intellectual triumphs of the 30s-40s, and the return of that kind of thinking in the 1990s was very closely related with the intellectual rehabilitation of government austerity as a viable path to growth.

The most charitable interpretation of what you're saying here is that while provincial government's could raise taxes they aren't going to for whatever reason. But your chosen metaphor -- and it's hardly an innocent choice, you're politically savvy enough to be perfectly aware of what is entailed by the view you're advocating -- completely excludes that option.

It was a quick and dirty metaphor to illustrate the idea of resources and needs being misallocated by entities that (ostensibly) should have common goals in an easily intelligible way, come on. Not every use of a household metaphor has as an implication "I live within my means and government should as well".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

But, generally, yes, the federal government has a lot more leeway to raise taxes, especially on high earners, and it doesn't make a lot of sense for those raises to happen primarily in the provinces. Off the top of my head:
-9/10 of our provinces don't have their own tax collection agency, so they have limited capacity to increase compliance with the rules. The CRA might not be interested in or make a priority of helping Manitoba police a new surtax on high earners, but they'd be much more vigilant about a hike in federal taxes.
-Provinces have really high elasticity of income for high earners in response to tax changes. A corporate executive might have the choice of moving from the Toronto office to the Calgary office or to declare a summer home in PEI to be the principal residence for tax purposes to avoid a hike in provincial taxes. There's still some leakage if the tax hike is federal, but it's much much smaller.
-It's almost trivially easy to shift capital gains or corporate income taxes around and move to the lowest tax province just to realise those gains.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
How's it going out in Alberta?

...oh

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wait a second, I got rid of my "They Live" sunglasses years ago. How am I still seeing that image?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

...oh

poo poo, they should fire her and hire me because I know how apostrophes work.

It's a cut-throat market after all.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was a quick and dirty metaphor to illustrate the idea of resources and needs being misallocated by entities that (ostensibly) should have common goals in an easily intelligible way, come on. Not every use of a household metaphor has as an implication "I live within my means and government should as well".

The metaphors and language with which we discuss social problems influences how we conceptualize the problems, and while you may not have intended to communicate that particular message it would be very easy to read your post as endorsing that position.

The more detailed explanation you gave of why the provinces are more constrained was easy enough to anticipate for somebody who has participated in debates about fiscal policy but wouldn't necessarily occur to a more casual reader. I don't think you gave a bad explanation, I just think that if you're going to use such a loaded metaphor you should at least make it explicit why the provinces are cash constrained. By leaving it unspoken you make the metaphor itself slightly more comprehensible, but at the cost of making it extremely easy to interpret you as endorsing a position that you presumably are not actually endorsing. Maximum simplicity isn't necessarily a virtue, especially when discussing complex economic problems, and especially when you're borrowing a metaphor already loaded with prior meanings and associations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm in a bar at the moment and a drunk man has suggested the business might do better if they played the Guess Who.

gently caress my rear end, we're never going to have a culture that doesn't suck, will we? gently caress this city and gently caress this cuntry (typo intentional).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm starting top think CI hates on PT6A so much because PT6A is just a younger version of CI and therefore triggers his self-loathing.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm in a bar at the moment and a drunk man has suggested the business might do better if they played the Guess Who.

gently caress my rear end, we're never going to have a culture that doesn't suck, will we? gently caress this city and gently caress this cuntry (typo intentional).

I like the Guess Who enough to have seen Burton Cummings live four times, and I can't see how a bar's success or failure depends on how often they play a particular band's music. Considering how old the Guess Who are, I'm willing to bet it won't bring in the young crowd.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If the Guess Who were playing would that make you leave the bar? Maybe that's what he's getting at.

(stop being so angry guy)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure that drunk guys in bars are necessarily the best way to take the cultural temperature of a country.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure that drunk guys in bars are necessarily the best way to take the cultural temperature of a country.

Sure they are, that champagne they served him wasn't made within 3 geographic seconds of a specific region of France which is the only place fizzy wine can truly be made.

What I'm saying is PT6A whines about dumb poo poo sometimes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Did you ever consider that maybe drunk people in bars are the very best way to judge to cultural temperature of a country? If they bitch about the lack of live music or something, it bodes well; if they bitch about the fact you aren't playing recorded songs from several decades ago, it's bad.

Playstation 4 posted:

Sure they are, that champagne they served him wasn't made within 3 geographic seconds of a specific region of France which is the only place fizzy wine can truly be made.

I've been through this before: Champagne can only come from the Champagne region of France, but that doesn't mean that other sparkling wines are inherently inferior -- in fact, I think many of them are as good or superior on a quality basis, and much better on a quality-to-price basis. A very good Cava or Cremant de Savoie, for example, may be better than a given Champagne, but that doesn't make them Champagne.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

At the same time you really should have expected this from me by now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Did you ever consider that maybe drunk people in bars are the very best way to judge to cultural temperature of a country?

I considered that, but quickly realized it was stupid.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I considered that, but quickly realized it was stupid.

If people in bars can't be considered the standard for culture, then what on earth can be?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I have self-insight into the fact that I'm a miserable, cynical oval office with extremely high standards for everything, the adherence to which only makes my life less pleasant, but I don't think that means I'm wrong on any level. Also, I don't know how to fix it other than to drink enough liquor until I stop caring, and that carries significant health risks, so I don't do it frequently.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, but who has the time?

You're not wrong, though.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
can't be that good of a bar if you're spending so much time posting

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

can't be that good of a bar if you're spending so much time posting

It's Calgary; of course it's not that good of a bar.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't know I'd like to learn to accept mediocrity.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I've stopped becoming angry about it. Now it's more of a lingering frustration, so I consider that a significant improvement.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Please shut the gently caress up with your sanctimonious moral posturing.

Playstation 4 posted:

This is an impressively ignorant opinion.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

infernal machines posted:

...oh

Permacorp sounds like something from some low-budget dystopian sci-fi you'd see on the Space channel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

Please shut the gently caress up with your sanctimonious moral posturing.

Apologies. Sometimes I get in a bad mood.

Also, and I mean this in the best possible way: if I thought I were actually inherently better than other people, it wouldn't frustrate me so much when they gently caress up. I assume I am boringly average, to be honest; maybe below average, who knows? Shouldn't it then be trivial for others to do better than me at most things?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't know I'd like to learn to accept mediocrity.

PT:

In the time you have sat posting on SA, you could have at least been productive in your self medicating sadbrains by going to over 5 galas, or just straight up donating the money to any one of the major philanthropy initiatives which were in Avenue mag. last week. The tax credit rebates alone would have made you at least a half productive member of society and instead you sat in a bar. I think that is the very textbook definition of mediocrity.

Actually come to think of it you could have spent that 13,000.00 (assuming you blew about 200/night) and probably could have helped a charity of your choice reach their year end fundraising goal. You literally could have cured a homeless problem with your self pity and forum e/n in D&D. Think about it.

I stand 100% with the other posters on this one. Get some loving help you pathetic goon. Admission is the first step. The second step is correction, take a 10 day break and go check into the drop center or the Banff.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 9, 2022

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

Does someone want to point out that going to Spain in the middle of its worst economic collapse since 1902 is akin to going to a failed state and gloating about the experience ? Cant be bothered to track the thread back to the PT6A self help session started, but this is pretty disgusting and someone should really call him out on it. The collapse of Spain in the past 3 years is only worse in Greece and the standards of living/desperation is right up there with Ethiopia and Ukraine. Do we condone people taking selfies with burned out villages + gloating in a Crimean resort town with a sex worker? No. And someone who actually wants to slap around Pt6a for me really should call him out on this.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

Apologies. Sometimes I get in a bad mood.

Also, and I mean this in the best possible way: if I thought I were actually inherently better than other people, it wouldn't frustrate me so much when they gently caress up. I assume I am boringly average, to be honest; maybe below average, who knows? Shouldn't it then be trivial for others to do better than me at most things?

Speaking as someone who spends more time lurking in this thread than posting, but as someone who's been in a similar mental state as the one you describe, I suggest perhaps you could use a break from the Internet, or this thread at the very least.

I mean this with all due respect, I hope you understand. I don't think this thread is healthy for you. It turns into derails about your mental state or your life on a frequent basis. You have nearly twice as many posts as the next most prolific poster, (not counting CI), and this entire drama plays out over and over again. It's going in circles.

Obviously, I don't know you. I don't know your life, or your circumstances, but I know mine, and the states I've been in, mentally and emotionally, and the triggers that make those states worse. In my personal experience, the Internet is the last place to be when I get into a lovely mood, especially a politics thread.

I hope I don't come off as condescending or patronizing, because I really don't mean that. But you know that self-medicating with alcohol is unhealthy. I'm suggesting that this thread isn't helping you either, and maybe a week or two off might help you clear your head.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
What the gently caress did I say to start the canpol thread off on such a loving rage.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't know just how rich y'all think I am but I sure as gently caress don't spend anywhere near $200 when I go to the bar, and I only go out once or twice a week at most.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Yeah, it's been a whole stupid thing, and even the mayor of Ottawa has come out against it. I don't know when it'll be going up at the Garden, if at all. The latest NCC meeting yesterday didn't really touch on it, as far as I can tell.

It's so unpopular in Ottawa. Aside from some diehard conservative partisans, I don't think anyone in this city even wants it.

EDIT: Okay, a quick look around the web says the new thing goes up in 2018 at the Garden of the Provinces and Territories. I guess the decision was made in April, according to the CBC.

Also, the local Metro is reporting there may also be a new skate park nearby, which is kinda funny.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Playstation 4 posted:

What the gently caress did I say to start the canpol thread off on such a loving rage.

Trick question, it was bringing up the 2014 PDO thread, one of the greatest embarrassments for circlejerk D&D and the home of PT6As greatest avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 9, 2022