Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

aj styles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

exploding mummy posted:

Adam Rose tried his best.

😳

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kennel posted:

Who are some notable wrestlers with gymnastics background?

bryan alvarez

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DeathChicken posted:

Savage could improv like a motherfucker.

"*cream falls off of his head* On balance, off balance, doesn't matter."

*Produces fourth packet of cream*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kennel posted:

Lanny Poffo.

Oh, sorry. You said notable.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Kennel posted:

John Morrison I think.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kennel posted:

Charlotte

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Kennel posted:

I think Crews does from high school but it wasn't a serious pursuit.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Matt Cross, and I only know this due to Roderick Strong dismissively referring to him as 'the gymnast' like 10 years ago in RoH

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Matt Cross, and I only know this due to Roderick Strong dismissively referring to him as 'the gymnast' like 10 years ago in RoH

mdoggdidntdoflippyshitwhenitmatteredonthatoneepisodeoftoughenough20

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Halloween Jack posted:

Lanny Poffo.

Oh, sorry. You said notable.

How much money did WCW pay Poffo to sit on his couch doing fuckall?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Kennel posted:

Matt Sydal

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
To any multilingual goons out there, are any of the other announcers on WWE any good? We see them all the time on PPV and Raw, but it's hard to get a feel for their announcing style when you don't speak the language.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
the spanish team is reportedly phenomenal, likely a combination of experienced talent and lack of vince mcmahon's involvement

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

checksin posted:

the spanish team is reportedly phenomenal, likely a combination of experienced talent and lack of vince mcmahon's involvement

I still think the best was when they kept calling Mason Ryan "Batista II"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I watched Cena v Styles with German commentary just to see how it is. It seems pretty good, definitely less irrelevant garbage and moronic repetition than Cole/JBL/Saxton (and they actually seem to know what moves are called) but it's also not as involved and excited as, say, JR. It has a slightly dry football commentary kind of vibe to it. Sporting event-like.

edit: They did get excited for the big spots, though!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 29, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Benne posted:

How much money did WCW pay Poffo to sit on his couch doing fuckall?

I think it ended up being around 1.2 million.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Jack Evans did gymnastics before getting into breakdancing

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is there a reason why Hogan/Flair didn't do strong house show numbers together? Seems like that should've been THE dream match at the time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fans were bored of Flair, brother

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Is there a reason why Hogan/Flair didn't do strong house show numbers together? Seems like that should've been THE dream match at the time.

The first run did, the second run didn't. As Flair was booked more as a WWF heel than an outsider champion interest dwindled.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Nobody bought that a puny old man from a regional promotion could stand up to the Hulkster - HH

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of times you'll see posts in gameday or weekly discussion threads like "Man, if you told me X years ago that Jon Moxley would be WWE World Champion..." or "Man, if you told me X years ago that Steen, Styles, Claudio, and Jericho would be main eventing RAW in a #1 Contenders Match for the World Championship...", and that got me thinking:

Let's say you can communicate with an average Wrestlehut 2K poster as of 10 years ago, so the summer of '06. Well after the end of the Attitude Era, but before the boom of indie wrestlers making it to WWE. What do you think is the one fact about pro wrestling in the past 10 years that would blow that humble goon's mind the most?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Benoit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
TNA is still in business.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

welp.

i'd say telling someone "yeah, they still have kane, but sometimes he's a goofy guy in a suit and other times he's like, the regular kane. oh also they put the mask back on him. and the hair." would lead to a pretty good reaction.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the least foreseeable event is bryan danielson winning both world titles in the main event of the 30th wrestlemania. the most foreseeable event is bryan danielson retiring early due to various brain damages

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

shiksa posted:

welp.

i'd say telling someone "yeah, they still have kane, but sometimes he's a goofy guy in a suit and other times he's like, the regular kane. oh also they put the mask back on him. and the hair." would lead to a pretty good reaction.

Except Kane had already had several comedy gimmicks by that point so even in 06 that wasn't unusual

e: Brock would probably blow an 06 goon's mind. He would not only go to UFC and become champion after his New Japan run, but would return to WWE and lose his first match to Cena, then get a 4 year godpush. That would've blown my mind knowing how he first exited WWE.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 29, 2016

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

A lot of times you'll see posts in gameday or weekly discussion threads like "Man, if you told me X years ago that Jon Moxley would be WWE World Champion..." or "Man, if you told me X years ago that Steen, Styles, Claudio, and Jericho would be main eventing RAW in a #1 Contenders Match for the World Championship...", and that got me thinking:

Let's say you can communicate with an average Wrestlehut 2K poster as of 10 years ago, so the summer of '06. Well after the end of the Attitude Era, but before the boom of indie wrestlers making it to WWE. What do you think is the one fact about pro wrestling in the past 10 years that would blow that humble goon's mind the most?

Rock Vs Cena. or Sting signing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

They will screw up someone's moon push worse than they screwed up Cena's.

Triple H will replace developmental with his own version of ROH and everyone will like it.

In 2011, CM Punk will become the #1 wrestling sensation because of a Brian Pillman promo and giving Cena one of the best matches he has ever had, only to be buried by Kevin Nash.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Forget 10 years, I want to go back 5 during the buzz right after Punk returned to Cult of Personality post MITB 2011 and tell people that in December 2014 Lesnar would be WWE Champ and Punk would sign with UFC.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They will screw up someone's moon push worse than they screwed up Cena's.

Related to this, that Cena will win over a lot (but not all) of his detractors at age 38 by changing up his moveset to include a lot of ridiculous indie spots and having a series of fantastic midcard title defenses against indie stars

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jenny Angel posted:

The developmental brand putting on consistently great shows and selling out a 15k arena.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Super No Vacancy posted:

the least foreseeable event is bryan danielson winning both world titles in the main event of the 30th wrestlemania.

Yeah probably this. I remember years ago when people on other forums would go on and on about this Brian Danielson guy being the most talented wrestler in the world, but because he was a short, scrawny guy he'd never get to WWE except maybe as a jobber on Sunday Night Heat.

Fast-forward a decade, and he's so wildly popular to the WWE audience that his fans destroy the Royal Rumble and basically force the company to rewrite Wrestlemania to avoid it being booed into oblivion.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Bryan Danielson is retired with brain damage, Samoa Joe is doing good work in WWE, and CM Punk is no longer wrestling and living in an apartment above a tattoo parlor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bradzilla posted:

Except Kane had already had several comedy gimmicks by that point so even in 06 that wasn't unusual

e: Brock would probably blow an 06 goon's mind. He would not only go to UFC and become champion after his New Japan run, but would return to WWE and lose his first match to Cena, then get a 4 year godpush. That would've blown my mind knowing how he first exited WWE.

Brock shouldn't really blow anyone's mind since he'd already had negotiations to return to WWE and it was a money issue that prevented it. We already knew he was starting an MMA career and heavyweight was a dumpster fire at the time. In mid 04, sure it seemed far off but by 06 we kind of knew anything was possible with the guy. Now with how much money he was making in UFC I was shocked he'd go back to WWE when UFC was still an option but that was a few years off.

I'd personally be most shocked that Pro Wrestling NOAH would be on life support and owned by New Japan Pro Wrestling. In 2006 they were on the tail end of their hot period and seemed to have 3-4 young guys they were building up as the future of the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
2006 was such a weird time. If you told me Danielson had been signed and became a huge star I'd be surprised. If you told me he became a star the way he did I'd be less surprised. But my mind wouldn't be completely blown just because they'd tried to sign him the year before, and signed Punk. It was a year they seemed to be focusing on developmental and having a half developmental brand. OVW had drawn crowds of 4-5K under Cornette so a developmental brand that drew 10K+ wasn't the craziest thing to hear. There were real signs that hey maybe they are going to change and the usual ones they wouldn't.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Brock shouldn't really blow anyone's mind since he'd already had negotiations to return to WWE and it was a money issue that prevented it. We already knew he was starting an MMA career and heavyweight was a dumpster fire at the time. In mid 04, sure it seemed far off but by 06 we kind of knew anything was possible with the guy. Now with how much money he was making in UFC I was shocked he'd go back to WWE when UFC was still an option but that was a few years off.

I'd personally be most shocked that Pro Wrestling NOAH would be on life support and owned by New Japan Pro Wrestling. In 2006 they were on the tail end of their hot period and seemed to have 3-4 young guys they were building up as the future of the company.

That's the most upsetting development in wrestling because early to mid 2000's NOAH is my favorite wrestling of all time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Corzaa posted:

Sting signing.

Eh, we all knew this was just a matter of time. Even in 06 when TNA was putting on OK shows sometimes the writing was pretty on the wall. Sting always knew the WWE wanted him and would easily be able to cut him a great deal for a few appearances and then a legends deal, that was never in question. So as long as his TNA checks weren't bouncing and he didn't want to retire it made sense for him to stay in the brand that booked him like a god 24/7 and let him do whatever dumb poo poo he wanted, when it was coming time for him to retire, that's when the move to WWE would make the most sense because it would be a guaranteed paycheck to go out on.

06 me probably would have been the most shocked about the current state of AAA. AAA was putting on some great shows in 06.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

it's really one of the craziest examples of just how volatile star-driven wrestling promoting can be and why WWE is so smart to take the approach they do now