Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Casimir Radon posted:

She'll probably go suck all the dicks if she's not supervised at all times.

Only way to get an intelligent y chromosome in her head though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Do you think retard dude spawn can be trusted without daycare? That fucker still needs it, why would his kids be any different?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

She'll probably go suck all the dicks if she's not supervised at all times.

She is both a military brat and spawn of a moron, so yeah probably.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Does the law that exempts military doctors from malpractice suits apply to this moron's level as well? Because holy crap, coming from a family of various medical professionals, those stories are horrifying.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

^Never stop telling these stories.

That process exists, it's called "the installation commander issues an instruction/regulation." The problem is that not enough unit commanders are sat down and put in their places. Well that's one problem. The other is that everything has to be loving codified or some O-6 or SNCO flips his poo poo.

and there's also the problem that too many officers and SNCOs give a poo poo about saluting, but that's probably a lost cause

Internet Wizard posted:

Does the law that exempts military doctors from malpractice suits apply to this moron's level as well? Because holy crap, coming from a family of various medical professionals, those stories are horrifying.

Feres Doctrine applies across the board, it's not specific to military doctors or even military medicine. Any member (or their family on their behalf if deceased) is prohibited from collecting any sort of damages or filing a wrongful death suit if the incident was caused by another member of the armed forces. Period.

So yes.

Time for your annual reminder that the following things have been held by the courts to be protected by sovereign immunity under Feres:

- Known defective boiler explodes and burns down barracks, killing servicemember

- Army surgeon leaves an 18"x30" towel in servicemember's stomach, towel is marked "Medical Department, U.S. Army"

- Servicemember dies on operating table due to negligent actions by Army surgeons

- Servicemember forcibly ejected from on-base club directly into mass of gang members, who proceed to beat him to the point of severe brain injury

- Servicemember dies in plane crash while flying space-A; plane crash was due to negligence of civilian FAA air traffic controller

- Servicemember drowns during MWR rafting trip due to negligent actions on part of civilian MWR employee

- Servicemember seriously injured while canoeing (using a canoe rented from MWR) after being hit by another servicemember operating a motorboat rented from MWR

-Army allows servicemember with one murder conviction in the States and another manslaughter conviction in Germany to remain freely on active duty. Servicemember subsequently kidnaps and murders another servicemember (who is off-duty at the time of the kidnapping and murder). Murdered servicemember's family is prohibited from filing suit against the Army

- Servicemember suffers reaction to a contrasting agent; hospital staff send him home instead of admitting him,when his wife calls the doctor a week later he does not return her call so she takes her husband to the ER. ER staff misdiagnoses the issue and on the direction of the doctor member is placed in regular care as opposed to ICU. Member dies hours later after being transferred to a civilian hospital.

- Servicemember is injured in a car accident caused by faulty servicing performed by a civilian NEX employee

- During appendectomy anesthetist snakes oxygen tube down esophagus instead of trachea and then incorrectly uses a pediatric device to try and recover the (fully adult) servicemember, member goes into vegitative state and dies three months later

Basically if you are a military member (Feres now applies to both Reserves and ANG as well) and you suffer an injury or fatality that can in any way be tied back to the US government, your/your survivors's chances of recovering damages are basically zero.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Feres Doctrine applies across the board, it's not specific to military doctors or even military medicine. Any member (or their family on their behalf if deceased) is prohibited from collecting any sort of damages or filing a wrongful death suit if the incident was caused by another member of the armed forces. Period.

So yes.

Time for your annual reminder that the following things have been held by the courts to be protected by sovereign immunity under Feres:

- Known defective boiler explodes and burns down barracks, killing servicemember

- Army surgeon leaves an 18"x30" towel in servicemember's stomach, towel is marked "Medical Department, U.S. Army"

- Servicemember dies on operating table due to negligent actions by Army surgeons

- Servicemember forcibly ejected from on-base club directly into mass of gang members, who proceed to beat him to the point of severe brain injury

- Servicemember dies in plane crash while flying space-A; plane crash was due to negligence of civilian FAA air traffic controller

- Servicemember drowns during MWR rafting trip due to negligent actions on part of civilian MWR employee

- Servicemember seriously injured while canoeing (using a canoe rented from MWR) after being hit by another servicemember operating a motorboat rented from MWR

-Army allows servicemember with one murder conviction in the States and another manslaughter conviction in Germany to remain freely on active duty. Servicemember subsequently kidnaps and murders another servicemember (who is off-duty at the time of the kidnapping and murder). Murdered servicemember's family is prohibited from filing suit against the Army

- Servicemember suffers reaction to a contrasting agent; hospital staff send him home instead of admitting him,when his wife calls the doctor a week later he does not return her call so she takes her husband to the ER. ER staff misdiagnoses the issue and on the direction of the doctor member is placed in regular care as opposed to ICU. Member dies hours later after being transferred to a civilian hospital.

- Servicemember is injured in a car accident caused by faulty servicing performed by a civilian NEX employee

- During appendectomy anesthetist snakes oxygen tube down esophagus instead of trachea and then incorrectly uses a pediatric device to try and recover the (fully adult) servicemember, member goes into vegitative state and dies three months later

Basically if you are a military member (Feres now applies to both Reserves and ANG as well) and you suffer an injury or fatality that can in any way be tied back to the US government, your/your survivors's chances of recovering damages are basically zero.

How the heck did this: "There have been exceptions to the Feres doctrine where active duty members have been allowed to sue for injuries when the court found that civilians could have been harmed in the same manner under the same circumstances in which the service member's injuries occurred." not apply to any of these?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I assume that statement means "in the same exact incident" not "in an identical incident." Meaning a civilian was simultaneously subjected to the same risk. But that's a guess.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Munin posted:

How the heck did this: "There have been exceptions to the Feres doctrine where active duty members have been allowed to sue for injuries when the court found that civilians could have been harmed in the same manner under the same circumstances in which the service member's injuries occurred." not apply to any of these?

That wording in the wiki article is simplistic/misleading. The case they're referring to involved a Marine who crashed off a cliff on Pendleton after going through the guardrail which was damaged from a previous incident and hadn't yet been repaired. The basis of the court's decision is that since at the time Pendleton was somewhat open to the public (anyone could gain access to base during daytime hours as long as they signed in) and since at the time the Marine in question was off-duty, riding in a personal vehicle, and was attending to personal non-duty related business, the manner and type of his injury was such that it could have conceivably happened to any random member of the public. Therefore he should be allowed to sue for damages.

The case was only in the 9th Circuit, so it is only applicable there, and it happened in 2007 so it's still relatively recent. Also in many of the other cases I laid out below the manner of the injury in some fashion tied directly back to the individual's status as a servicemember and as such the thought process in Schoenfeld wouldn't have applied regardless. For example, in both the canoeing incident and the rafting incident since they were through MWR the canoes/rafting were only available for military members and/or their guests and dependents. The 9th Circuit has crafted four factors to consider (from its ruling in Johnson back in the '70s):

- Place where the negligent act occurred
- Duty status of servicemember when negligent act occurred
- Benefits accruing to servicemember because of their status as a servicemember
- Nature of servicemember's activities at the time the negligent act occurred

So in this case it basically boils down to:

- On-base, but more or less immaterial due to subsequent factors

- Member was off-duty, military status irrelevant

- Member received disability benefits, but based on previous decisions this doesn't necessarily bar him from pursuing damages. More significantly, since the road was open to any civilian traffic during the time period he was traveling on it, traveling on that road was not a "benefit" of military service and as such weighs against applying Feres.

- Member was off-duty out for a Saturday drive running errands around time; the activities do not significantly impact military discipline or second-guessing the "close military judgement call" that was (allegedly) the original purpose of instituting the Feres bar.

Since there was nothing distinctly military about the accident (reference the fourth point) and since the accident occurred in a place/fashion that could have involved a random member of the public (reference the third point) the court made the decision not to institute a Feres bar.

e: Of note, the only place this four factor test applies is in the 9th Circuit. Outside of that the precedent on Feres is still tied to that of the original case and the Brooks case the previous year...basically the only way you can sue for damages is if what you were doing is in no way shape or form tied to your status as a military member (Brooks was a case where a couple of brothers on leave, off-base, in a POV were sideswiped by an Army truck driven by an Army employee.) So if you're going to get hosed by the government, better do it in the West...and even then, good luck, because chances are they'll find a way to tie the incident somehow, however tenuously, to your status as a military member in which case good luck recovering damages.

Good news though, when the VA inevitably fucks up treatment of the injuries you sustained from the accident you suffered on AD that you were unable to collect damages for, you'll be able to sue the VA!

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 28, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I can sue the VA? Oh thank god. I knew I was hosed with malpractice and poo poo when I was told there was "nothing you can do about it." when I asked Legal about some of my problems with my most recent surgery. I think the scariest one was when they woke me up after getting thoroughly chewed out for something I did, but obviously not well enough because if two weeks of training means he can do it when I help him but not alone. The nurse told me that they almost had to cancel the surgery because my breathing went down to like 4-6 breaths a minute. My body had pretty much said "gently caress this poo poo" and my brain went "not yet. More!" So I lived.

I also can't imagine Feres in regard to people doing dumb poo poo and killing someone else and the court essentially saying that no, you can't get reimbursed for this and sorry for your loss. Meanwhile the other person gets prison time and whatever. Seems hosed up.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
There was also that poor kid in AF basic who went in for gall bladder surgery and came out minus both of his legs.

Feres doctrine is so hosed.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
a guy in my company broke his ankle pretty bad in iraq. didnt get proper treatment, suffered extensive nerve damage and they ended up having to amputate for quality of life. but, now all he seems to do is golf all day so it cant be all that bad(if you like golf).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is all exactly what I want to read before I go in for surgery in a few months.

I am going to die before I go to CIF. :(

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If people could sue because idiots in the military caused injury and death through their natural stupidity the military couldn't function.

Basically what I'm saying is burn the motherfucker to the ground.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Aranan posted:

This is all exactly what I want to read before I go in for surgery in a few months.

I am going to die before I go to CIF. :(

I'm holding off on any major procedures until I can rotate to somewhere with no military medical.

I really should have had everything done in Colorado.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
He wasn't in basic. He was from my unit at Beale and had his surgery at Travis. So many people every year get hosed by military medical and I'm gobsmacked every time someone suggests it's a benefit rather than a liability. Not that there aren't good practitioners but it's pretty much rolling the dice. We had a woman that went in for something wrong with her lady parts, not minor, but nothing insane. Came out with a hysterectomy since apparently the doc needed practice (this can't be a thing, right?) She did sign saying it was a possibility though during surgery so she's hosed whichever way.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

There was also that poor kid in AF basic who went in for gall bladder surgery and came out minus both of his legs.

Feres doctrine is so hosed.

the guy in the one I posted about getting the oxygen down the wrong pipe was an AF SSgt at Travis

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Nice, so narrow as gently caress and only in one circuit. That wiki article really should be retouched.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Munin posted:

Nice, so narrow as gently caress and only in one circuit. That wiki article really should be retouched.

yup pretty much. It's better than the SCOTUS precedent of "you're in the military and doing something remotely tied to your military status? lol get hosed" but not by much

also

iyaayas01 posted:

the guy in the one I posted about getting the oxygen down the wrong pipe was an AF SSgt at Travis

AkrisD posted:

He wasn't in basic. He was from my unit at Beale and had his surgery at Travis.

I think we've identified the problem

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

AkrisD posted:

He wasn't in basic. He was from my unit at Beale and had his surgery at Travis. So many people every year get hosed by military medical and I'm gobsmacked every time someone suggests it's a benefit rather than a liability. Not that there aren't good practitioners but it's pretty much rolling the dice. We had a woman that went in for something wrong with her lady parts, not minor, but nothing insane. Came out with a hysterectomy since apparently the doc needed practice (this can't be a thing, right?) She did sign saying it was a possibility though during surgery so she's hosed whichever way.

what the gently caress

e: "oh i've got something vaguely wrong with me bits" "hmm well i've never cut a womans womb out before, why not give it a crack now while i've got the chance"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MurderBot posted:

Im glad to see military medicine is just as hosed up as civilian medicine.

I had a flight surgeon (who is an awesome guy) flat out tell me that he basically wouldn't trust military medicine, including himself, to diagnose and treat anything worse than a mild cold.

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm extremely grateful that I came down with appendicitis on a Saturday, and thus went straight to the civilian ER rather than first going through the on-base clinic. If it had happened during the week, I'm pretty sure I'd be an urn full of ashes with a Motrin prescription right now. Although the anesthesiologist who put me under was a former Air Force doc; he seems to have done a pretty good job without too much lasting brain damfgswp09uerohfse p'9a3rwrp9u

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I had a civilian practitioner at the Army Health clinic in Monterey whine at me because I self-diagnosed shin splints.

"You put down your reason for visit is shin splints?"
"Yeah. Got them in both legs."
"Have you ever been diagnosed with shin splints before? How can you possibly know that they're shin splints?"
"Well, no, I've never been diagnosed with them before. But I'm presenting every single symptom."
"We'll see about that"
Like come on dude, the base is a mass of hills and paved paths, it shouldn't be a surprise when a Marine knows they have shin splints.

Military medicine is the usual blend of "people that legitimately want to serve" and "couldn't hack it in the private sector" with the bonus of being immune to malpractice.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Lol at the idea you could confuse shin splints with something else.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
shin splints are the loving worst

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

shin splints are the loving worst

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Friend of mine got kicked out of the Marines due to shin splints that would not heal right.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I got 30 days self-pace PT on my light duty chit, and my platoon sergeant gave me a stern talking to about how I'm a Marine and there are some things I just need to power through when I decided not to skip out of PT one day and said I'd do the workout but I'd probably stop early on the running part because there was a lot of running planned.

Last time I bothered showing up for unit PT for a while you better believe that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Seeing as how most of us are out and thus will most likely never have shin splints again, but just in case I'll post this anyway.

Lay a towel out flat on the floor in front of a chair. Sit in the chair. Use your toes to pull the towel in towards you. Do that a couple of times once or twice a day.

You're welcome.

*I think I stole that off a goon

** won't help gently caress all if you've hosed yourself up real bad.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I actually had shin splints bad enough to reach the point of bilateral stress fractures with some pretty spectacular pitting edema directly on the microfracture sites. All of the stupid uphill, downhill, asphalt and concrete, etc bullshit combined with massively overdeveloped cartoon turkey drumstick calf muscles and their ensuing inflexibility loving raped my legs. Also had a nice big helping of exercise-induced compartment syndrome from said turkey drumsticks, where the muscles get so flushed with blood that the fascia sacs surrounding the muscle groups can't stretch any further and as more blood comes in it starts an auto-tourniquet effect.

Thank Satan I never have to run again.

not caring here posted:

Seeing as how most of us are out and thus will most likely never have shin splints again, but just in case I'll post this anyway.

Lay a towel out flat on the floor in front of a chair. Sit in the chair. Use your toes to pull the towel in towards you. Do that a couple of times once or twice a day.

You're welcome.

*I think I stole that off a goon

** won't help gently caress all if you've hosed yourself up real bad.

:colbert:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gently caress boot bands. goddamn it my calves would look so hosed up at the end of the day

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I actually had shin splints bad enough to reach the point of bilateral stress fractures with some pretty spectacular pitting edema directly on the microfracture sites. All of the stupid uphill, downhill, asphalt and concrete, etc bullshit combined with massively overdeveloped cartoon turkey drumstick calf muscles and their ensuing inflexibility loving raped my legs. Also had a nice big helping of exercise-induced compartment syndrome from said turkey drumsticks, where the muscles get so flushed with blood that the fascia sacs surrounding the muscle groups can't stretch any further and as more blood comes in it starts an auto-tourniquet effect.

I had that compartment thing as a teenager but it and the shin splints went away in my 20s.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Lol at the idea you could confuse shin splints with something else.

I did with compartment syndrome because they are very close. Reason I'm DD214 -ing Thursday

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

AkrisD posted:

Ah, you right. I was confusing him with one of the many poor fuckers who died in basic due to negligence and incompetence.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yours went away!? Lucky mother fucker

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

iyaayas01 posted:

and there's also the problem that too many officers and SNCOs give a poo poo about saluting, but that's probably a lost cause

I was walking down the street in Manas when a random 5'5" Army SGM loving bolts right at me from about fifty feet away with death in his eyes. He was in the middle of about 100-150 soldiers all packing up gear in a parking lot, presumably getting ready to fly downrange. He shouts, "Hey Air Force, what's your policy on saluting?!"

"Uhh... We do it, Sergeant Major."

"Well please explain that to HER!"

He wildly gestures at some confused and helpless looking USAF 1LT who was probably wondering, much like I was, why this SGM decided to grab the first Air Force dude he saw to cross-examine her about saluting an officer buried somewhere in a crowd of people. He went back to gesticulating at the poor officer and I just kind of wandered off before he could ask me any more brain stumpers.

Man, gently caress the Army.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I had a flight surgeon (who is an awesome guy) flat out tell me that he basically wouldn't trust military medicine, including himself, to diagnose and treat anything worse than a mild cold.

I'm extremely grateful that I came down with appendicitis on a Saturday, and thus went straight to the civilian ER rather than first going through the on-base clinic. If it had happened during the week, I'm pretty sure I'd be an urn full of ashes with a Motrin prescription right now. Although the anesthesiologist who put me under was a former Air Force doc; he seems to have done a pretty good job without too much lasting brain damfgswp09uerohfse p'9a3rwrp9u

Royal Australian Air Force managed to gently caress up my dad's surgery and leave him in a cast for two years after his motorbike accident. The useless oval office of a doctor managed to rebreak his leg when he was first getting the cast off and then "misplaced" the paperwork so there's no record of this happening, or that bastard being involved at any time in dad's recovery. He's now got a titanium rod instead of a shinbone, a hosed hip and one leg is an inch or so shorter than the other.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Korgan posted:

Royal Australian Air Force managed to gently caress up my dad's surgery and leave him in a cast for two years after his motorbike accident. The useless oval office of a doctor managed to rebreak his leg when he was first getting the cast off and then "misplaced" the paperwork so there's no record of this happening, or that bastard being involved at any time in dad's recovery. He's now got a titanium rod instead of a shinbone, a hosed hip and one leg is an inch or so shorter than the other.

Could you express this is the form of a confession bear meme?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soulex posted:

Yours went away!? Lucky mother fucker

Yeah they went away, mainly because I stopped running.

Printed off a big floppy ream of case studies and literature about CECS, slapped that down on my PA's desk one Monday morning during sick call, and basically typed my own profile up with specific wording to head off any retarded gently caress-gently caress games. Got called into the PSG's office that afternoon so he could talk at me about "profile seeking" and the usual retarded word-vomit about needing to be dedicated enough to break yourself while knowing full well that the Army doesn't give a poo poo about you. Ended up with me drawing him a nice big metaphorical crayon mural detailing exactly why I wasn't going to loving play those dumbshit games when you could literally feel how squishy my shins were and how my calves locked up after 5 minutes of running.

Like poo poo, it's not my fault you're too busy huffing your own farts when you aren't getting it directly from the source when your head's relocated up your loving rater's rear end to give a gently caress about being an actual medic.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 29, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Could you express this is the form of a confession bear meme?

Here you go

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah they went away, mainly because I stopped running.

Printed off a big floppy ream of case studies and literature about CECS, slapped that down on my PA's desk one Monday morning during sick call, and basically typed my own profile up with specific wording to head off any retarded gently caress-gently caress games. Got called into the PSG's office that afternoon so he could talk at me about "profile seeking" and the usual retarded word-vomit about needing to be dedicated enough to break yourself while knowing full well that the Army doesn't give a poo poo about you. Ended up with me drawing him a nice big metaphorical crayon mural detailing exactly why I wasn't going to loving play those dumbshit games when you could literally feel how squishy my shins were and how my calves locked up after 5 minutes of running.

Like poo poo, it's not my fault you're too busy huffing your own farts when you aren't getting it directly from the source when your head's relocated up your loving rater's rear end to give a gently caress about being an actual medic.

Nice dude, I'm happy for you. Honest. I ended up getting the 50/50 surgery and crapped out both times. The docs said mine was/is weird because I have chronic pain even when not running jumping lifting stairs and more.

My last unit was cool with me and it. It actually came out of the blue one day, after soccer practice during PT. I was like "man I got some wicked loving shin splints going." This was until they threatened me to go get a profile or take a pt test. This unit, well...they think I'm faking. I'm almost positive. Not because I show a hidden spry side, but because pain is invisible and misery loves company.

Oh well. Sucks super bad, I really miss playing soccer and being able to stand for 30 minutes without needing to sit down but free money is good today right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I hope that idiot from earlier who was talking about signing up is still reading the thread.