Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm well aware. The rumor speaks to them starting over completely, because they would need to just to fit his salary. Maybe with Wade taking a really small but long deal, and letting Whiteside go. I don't think either of those things happen if they're confident in Bosh returning.

While we already discussed that Wade isn;t interested in this, the Heat would also run into the Over-36 rule from the CBA, which is one of the single most incomprehensible portions of the entire thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

While we already discussed that Wade isn;t interested in this, the Heat would also run into the Over-36 rule from the CBA, which is one of the single most incomprehensible portions of the entire thing
It's a loving crazy rule. Contracts that span the player's 36th birthday by sep 30th have their last year as null on the cap, instead it's spread over the first years. If he's 35, the last two years get that treatment.

It's really elaborate and silly because it closes an old loophole.

But if he plays for 2 years on his 36 spanning ocntract, the stretched salary steps off of the present tap and stretches to the future. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58

It's hilariously convoluted.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Dan Le Batard has reported that the Heat organization believes that Bosh will be playing for the Heat at the beginning of the season. His blood thinners just take 6 months to clear the clots and leave his system.

Riley is supposed to use Bosh as a huge selling point to Durant in their meeting.

Hahaha, All it took was me definitively stating the opposite. I'm glad he's healthy

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Dan Le Batard has reported that the Heat organization believes that Bosh will be playing for the Heat at the beginning of the season. His blood thinners just take 6 months to clear the clots and leave his system.

Riley is supposed to use Bosh as a huge selling point to Durant in their meeting.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Just retire Bosh I don't want you to die

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah I think it was already reported that they expect him to play next season.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Bosh just go back to making computers and brewing beer. And I guess you can continue your lovely lifestyle website if that also makes you happy.
He was remarkably underrated his years in Miami.

Draft predictions: Patrick McCaw will be better than Damian Jones and will probably end up looking really loving good in GSW's system.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Chris Bosh isn't going to die.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Blood clots are not to be hosed with

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What does Bosh have left to prove anyway? 2 Rings, 11 All-star, A Gold Medal and holds a bunch of franchise records for the Raptors. He's had a way better career than most.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

What does Bosh have left to prove anyway? 2 Rings, 11 All-star, A Gold Medal and holds a bunch of franchise records for the Raptors. He's had a way better career than most.
Well his contract is for 20 something million a year, so it's not just about proving stuff. I don't care how much money you have, 20 million will keep anyone coming back for more.

And you could say that he could prove himself as one of the best in the association instead of the guy on the Heat who isn't LeBron or Wade. I don't know if he thinks that way but he is hyper competitive, it's something that he's gotten slagged on numerous times and it would be a much different accomplishment regardless of how likely or unlikely it is.

He probably also likes basketball, and I can't blame him. Love it myself and I'M paying THEM to watch it!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

if the asteroid didn't get him, the clots won't either

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm calling it right now, Chris Bosh. It'll be the beginning of July 2017 and Chris Bosh will be alive. He won't even have a masseuse die while massaging him, that's how alive he'll be.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Metapod posted:

Blood clots are not to be hosed with
duttywinin' roun all these Jamaaiiiiicaaaaansssss

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Chris Bosh isn't going to die.

We all are

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

illcendiary posted:

Looks like Duncan's coming back, per Woj.

On one hand, I'm always down for more Tim Duncan.

On the other hand, he was real bad in the playoffs, and I don't want to see him getting embarrassed nightly.

They're not competing for a title if he comes back, but maybe they aren't going to be competing for a title anyway, so why not? I'm not really sure how to feel, but in any case, we don't have a definitive decision yet.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I'm calling it right now, Chris Bosh. It'll be the beginning of July 2017 and Chris Bosh will be alive. He won't even have a masseuse die while massaging him, that's how alive he'll be.

I'm taping this post to my bedroom wall.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

duttywinin' roun all these Jamaaiiiiicaaaaansssss

Lmao

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/747847937330380801

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Shear Modulus posted:

Chris Paul's son from his first marriage comes out of the woodwork.

Oh my God, you're right. I have to update the spreadsheet.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I rarely post (I don't know if I've posted more than 5 times here) but just wanted to say thank goodness for this forum. I just started a new job and have heard so many bad basketball opinions from the dudes in the cubicles next to mine. "The Cavs would've won in 6 if they played Mozgov.", "Barkley was only an ok player, he was just famous because he said crazy poo poo." being two of my favorites. I've had to stop participating in any of the conversations because I end up staring at these guys like they're idiots. This is basically the only place I can come and read (mostly) intelligent and reasonable opinions on basketball and goddamnit, I appreciate you all.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

PurpleJesus posted:

I rarely post (I don't know if I've posted more than 5 times here) but just wanted to say thank goodness for this forum. I just started a new job and have heard so many bad basketball opinions from the dudes in the cubicles next to mine. "The Cavs would've won in 6 if they played Mozgov.", "Barkley was only an ok player, he was just famous because he said crazy poo poo." being two of my favorites. I've had to stop participating in any of the conversations because I end up staring at these guys like they're idiots. This is basically the only place I can come and read (mostly) intelligent and reasonable opinions on basketball and goddamnit, I appreciate you all.

We're all terrible posters, but, in the context of life and the internet especially, we're the gold standard.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

If you want to use the term genetically, you're still wrong because any geneticist or physical anthropologist will just say there's no such thing as race at all, it's a cultural construct. No one is bi/multiracial because that's not a thing. However these are definitely real, if somewhat arbitrary, cultural categories in the US. A certified modern American biracial dude like, say, Joakim Noah probably hasn't got appreciably more or less identifiably northern European genetic markers than any light skinned African American dude like Iverson, nor would he rate much differently on the old blood drop scale where your mom counts for half and your grandma for a quarter or whatever. So yeah I guess, but Robinson probably had European ancestors too and it was still symbolically meaningful for him to play in MLB.

I mean, a Biologist will tell you there's not really any such thing as a Species but then they'll turn around on you and discuss things in terms of Species all the livelong day and into the unforgiving night. It's a construct that doesn't find a pure match in the physical world, but it's one that's still rather useful when having discussions* and professionals within the field are aware of that. You only begin to see the flaws when you start running through the edge cases. Point is, don't trust biologists, they're a deceitful race of people. Lock your car doors if you're driving through a neighborhood with a bunch of biologists.

*for example, race can be a useful tool in medical diagnostics. There's all kinds of diseases that affect certain genetic populations with greater or lesser frequencies (simple example: if you got blonde hair the doctor's going to hold off on testing for sickle-cell anemia even if you're showing similar symptoms).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Juaguocio posted:

On the other hand, he was real bad in the playoffs, and I don't want to see him getting embarrassed nightly.

They're not competing for a title if he comes back, but maybe they aren't going to be competing for a title anyway, so why not? I'm not really sure how to feel, but in any case, we don't have a definitive decision yet.

They had one of the best seasons of all time and got bounced in a super close matchup against a red hot OKC team that was playing the best basketball in the league. Why are they not competing next year?

Duncan looked really good during the season but did fall off a cliff in the playoffs. That is fixable though, give him a 20 game vacation starting in February or something.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The good news is JR Smith has collaborated with some shirt companies so that all of us Jame Gumb-type motherfuckers can wear his skin. http://freshbrewedtees.com/products/jr-smith-tattoo-shirtless-shirt

EvanTH posted:

also pat summitt is about to die :(

the bad news is Pat Summitt has gone ahead and died :[ http://wate.com/2016/06/26/pat-summitt-university-of-tennessee-ut-head-coach-emeritus-knoxville/
RIP greatest coach

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Juaguocio posted:

I know its easy to be a pessimist on your own team, but man, keep your cheeks up. Spurs are a top 5 or 6 team, and have been for almost every year for the past 15 years. They will do fine and are competing for a championship next year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

The good news is JR Smith has collaborated with some shirt companies so that all of us Jame Gumb-type motherfuckers can wear his skin. http://freshbrewedtees.com/products/jr-smith-tattoo-shirtless-shirt

This is simultaneously the greatest and stupidest thing ive ever seen in my life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers fans think Covington is better than Barnes.

They may be right?!?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

They may be right?!?

I'm not a Barnes fan but that argument has no legs

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

They may be right?!?

It's one of those things that sounds really stupid to say out loud at first, but then you talk yourself into it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I get irrationally angry when fans of bad teams don't want good players.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I get irrationally angry when fans of bad teams don't want good players.

It's kind of amazing how much Sixers fans over value players on the roster.

Like I get that it some reaction to the horror of last year but... 10 wins isn't many and if you are on a team that wins 10 games you probably are not good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Covington is also already 25. He's a nice find and is a rotation guy but people are getting a bit carried away.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Carried away with comparisons to the great Harrison Barnes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hand Row posted:

Carried away with comparisons to the great Harrison Barnes.

Barnes is a solid starter and still has some ceiling runway left. So yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wait people don't actually think Harrison Barnes is a pretty good Basketball player?

Are they conflating jokes about how much he's gonna get paid, or how he's a shoo in for the Bulls with the Ames connection, with not being a useful player?

Dude is like 24, and got in his own head and didn't play well in the finals. He's probably worth about 16-18 million with the cap going up. Once you start getting into the 20's and max levels is when it becomes a bad deal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I know this is late but holy poo poo is Dion Waiters bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Barnes has a bad habit of saving his worst performances for the worst time and for the only games where most people actually watch him. He was also really bad in his last NCAA tournament game and had most of the forum convinced he was a bust even though he'd had a good college career on the whole, albeit one that was disappointing relative to the insane expectations people had for him when he was 17

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is simultaneously the greatest and stupidest thing ive ever seen in my life.

so you're saying if a shirt were JR Smith, it'd be that shirt

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm not a Barnes fan but that argument has no legs

haha *jazz hands*

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

EvanTH posted:

the bad news is Pat Summitt has gone ahead and died :[ http://wate.com/2016/06/26/pat-summitt-university-of-tennessee-ut-head-coach-emeritus-knoxville/
RIP greatest coach

Are white people allowed to wear this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Are white people allowed to wear this?

Only if they know how to play spades. And can finish a bottle of Henny by themselves.

• Locked thread