Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hi everybody! I'm back again, tell me new the new stuffs.

Everything is awful again and :pgi: is in full retard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
im on the cusp on reinstalling and you say something like that

geeeeeez

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Everything is fine. Phoenix Hawk sucks balls. New minimap was awful, but they made it less awful. New Frozen City is horrible.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Requoting this because the guy above is loving delusional.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Great Beer posted:

The non-doomsday somewhat elaborate version:

Mech Resize is in, it's mostly a wash aside from a few :pgi: mentions. Hardest hit were lights which are all around Cicada size now, aside from the Locust which got smaller and the Arctic Cheetah which remained pretty much the same.
Long live Frozen City, All Hail Alpine City. New map is new and annoying, mostly designed around peeking and poking without much opportunity for brawlfests.
New Minimap sucks. Is a zoomed in actual map that is hard to use, with no arrow and cone of vision. They hotfixed it to put the arrow and cone back in, but apparently knowing the facing of your teammates/enemies by default is OP, so instead you know their weight class instead. (Plans to put facing in for UAV's.) RIP Minimap.
Pheonix Hawk is in. Reception has been lukewarm as while it can have an impressive amount of firepower, it has the Kodiak problem of being easy to hit for it's weight class. Doubly so because most of it's firepower is in the arms, making neutering PHX's relatively easy.
Catapult has a new hero mech, the Butterbee that is pretty awesome for a catapult. (They also made out decently with the resize.)

Missed a couple of events that had some rewards, most recently the Bring The Heat PHX leaderboard event.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 29, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I actually like the new minimap.

It allows you to see what weight mechs are around you. If someone pops a uav you can see where the fatties are.

But its the same game it was a year ago. Log in, get drunk, shoot butts with goons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's decent but it's still not as good as the old one was.

Which reminds me, there's also a command wheel now, complete with built-in voice stuff. Fortunately this hasn't lead to the typical FPS style 'GO GO GO SPOTTED THE ENEMY SPOTTED THE ENEMY GO GO GO' style shenanigans. Is kind of underutilized.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There is nothing more fun than driving a German speaking voice comma try hard insane by spamming affirmative negative and help.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

aside from the Locust which got smaller

:circlefap:

Thanks for the updates, y'all.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hmm locusts are smaller??? May be tempted to play... but night shift means no goons are also on.

Also lol the most op light since it came out gets no changes, yet every other garbage light gets bigger oh :pgi: you just cant be helped

loving cheeta should be the size of a fuckin thunderbolt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm coming round to the new minimap and I've had some good fights in the new frozen city. Still objectively retarded they ditch good maps though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cheetah is good but not that op. 6 SPL's have nowhere near the damage/buttcap output of 6 SRM4's and ERLL Cheetahs have the same problem all annoying snipemechs do: they tend to be the last alive because the rest of their team died while they annoyed people at extreme range.

The only thing that makes the cheetah op is if you're having trouble aiming and rely on lock-on weapons, which isn't a problem with the cheetah.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The nasty part about trying to get back in is the gamble on weather the mechs you left behind are any good today.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

The money grind seems soul crushing until you've got a mechbay full of mechs that you've tweaked to your satisfaction and you don't have more bays/mechs you want to try out. Or in other words, it's only soul crushing when you want/are able to spend all of it, once you can't it becomes meaningless unless you really like tweaking your builds regularly or gain interest in a mech.

Pretty much this. Once you hit a certain critical mass of spare engines or enough lasers or weapons(particularly where artemis is concerned, you only need one set if you swap around), you stop having extra cost for a mech fresh off the lot.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The only comment I have is that the money grind in this seems fairly soul crushing. I used most of the starter cash to refit 5 of the legacy mechs and after 55 games have 6.5 mil to show for it. Some of that might be the learning curve though. I'm averaging ~150k per game with the 30% mech bonus and premium time activated. Being a WoT nerd stats are kind of ingrained in me. What should I consider a good game vs a great game monetarily? Also, are pubbies really really bad at assault? It's the only game mode where I have a significant difference in winrate, credits per game, and exp per game relative to all other modes.

This sounds a lot like you're running single heat sinks on things for the cost. I was going through many of my mediums a while back with a 'minimum sunk cost' philosophy when it came to basics, and it didn't make a lot of money at all until someone pointed out to me that yeah, doublesinks are expensive - but they let you do more damage, so they help pay for themselves because thats the major factor for money earned.

the kind of commonly accepted metric for 'am i pulling my weight' in a match is about 300 damage done.

150k with premium seems low.

Like, this here? This is a Great, one-time-ever kind of game for me.

Side note: brawl kodiak is REAL.

If you're liking the centurion, you may wish to learn scouting mode because it can print cbills if you get good/quick matches and have a good goon four man team.
The major problem there is figuring out how to crush streakcrows, novas and arctic cheetas every time.(brawling and flamers)

Hit me up if you see me on for atlas time, though. Its my favorite mech easy. if you know what you're doing, it prints money so godamn fast. Even in a match where I die almost right off the bat leading the push, i'm still putting out 350-400 damage.

But yeah. You should be making more per match. that feels low.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to make money when you're new, don't know the maps/mechs/meta/twisting/controls and are getting cored out after doing 60 damage because of god how does mech work.

Don't worry. Eventually it'll all make sense and your earnings will go up accordingly because score = cash.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Coming back to the game after a long hiatus. Again.

I've got 3 Atlas chassis, the nice ones I think, and the free Centurion that Founders (:negative:) got.

I also have 20k MC, 5.6 million CBills, and 1,440 hours of banked Premium Time.

What should I do with all that stuff? I'm planning to hold onto the CBills for a Stormcrow variant, then a Timberwolf variant, then maybe a light (Arctic Fox?) variant so I own a variety of mechs. And have stuff to play with.

Right now my only mech that has equipment is my Founder's Atlas. The other two Atlas and the Centurion chassis are stock with all their original equipment still sitting in there, and the lack of variety kind of sucks and also having only one mech means that when I die like a stupid new guy (which is nearly all the time) I have a lot of waiting to do.

Edit: Woops, no the only Atlas I've got equipped with non-standard equipment is my Atlas-S with the 2 MLas, 4 Artemis SRM6, and 1 AC20. 350 STD engine.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 29, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

I've got 3 Atlas chassis, the nice ones I think, and the free Centurion that Founders (:negative:) got.

What should I do with all that stuff? I'm planning to hold onto the CBills for a Stormcrow variant, then a Timberwolf variant, then maybe a light (Arctic Fox?) variant so I own a variety of mechs. And have stuff to play with.

Edit: Woops, no the only Atlas I've got equipped with non-standard equipment is my Atlas-S with the 2 MLas, 4 Artemis SRM6, and 1 AC20. 350 STD engine.

That atlas-s setup is stellar. I run very similiar, only with srm4A's for the grouping and heat. The founders atlas is viable, but its not the -S. If you want to elite them, I recommend picking up the D-DC for ecm/srm funtimes.

Loyalty centurion is funtimes. (i think you have the AH-L), and the -D can be worth it. The lb10 quirks are amazing, but utilizing the higher engine cap takes some investment.

Save the MC for a sale. Don't buy champion mechs. Buy heros at discounts, and mechbays on sale. Avoid spending on cbill bundles and poo poo.
Mastery packs can be worth it, actually.

Anyway, the general advice is: Smurphys base page if you look down, lists all hardpoints and quirks side by side(in 2 seperate sections), so if you're looking for something in particular its very handy to search or skim.

What class do you enjoy? What weapons are your faves? playstyle? figuring that out makes it easy to give off the cuff suggestions.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

That atlas-s setup is stellar. I run very similiar, only with srm4A's for the grouping and heat. The founders atlas is viable, but its not the -S. If you want to elite them, I recommend picking up the D-DC for ecm/srm funtimes.

Loyalty centurion is funtimes. (i think you have the AH-L), and the -D can be worth it. The lb10 quirks are amazing, but utilizing the higher engine cap takes some investment.

Save the MC for a sale. Don't buy champion mechs. Buy heros at discounts, and mechbays on sale. Avoid spending on cbill bundles and poo poo.
Mastery packs can be worth it, actually.

Anyway, the general advice is: Smurphys base page if you look down, lists all hardpoints and quirks side by side(in 2 seperate sections), so if you're looking for something in particular its very handy to search or skim.

What class do you enjoy? What weapons are your faves? playstyle? figuring that out makes it easy to give off the cuff suggestions.

Hmmm. Interesting Heroes, Mechbays, and good Mastery packs when on sale. Otherwise hold onto MC? Got it.

Back when I used to play more (in Beta) my laptop sucked too hard to do anything well other than Assault mechs, so I usually stuck to those or slow snipers. More recently a while back I played some CW with some Higby's Heroes goons and the Timber Wolf free mech was a nice mix of armor and speed and easy to use weapons (medium lasers only.) Same with the Stormcrow, only a bit squishier which was a bit of a problem in my inexperienced hands. Still they were free mechs and I haven't had enough time with the other classes to give them a fair shake.

So I really can't give a fair estimate of what class I would really like so far. Sniper assaults are apparently unpopular and Brawler assaults are fun on the occasions when you manage to get in close. Otherwise you just get murdered at a range which really sucks.

So far I enjoy lasers for their ease of use, but ACs and SRMs have roughly the same velocity on the Atlas so it is really fun just pasting someone with an AC/20 SRM strike. Incredibly useless at any range beyond maybe 300 meters though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DancingShade posted:

On the upside your locust was shrunk and is now an absolute nightmare to hit.

That makes a surprising amount of sense I just went 3-4 games (Locust) in a row with 4-5 kills a piece and 600ish damage and I honestly didn't think I was piloting any better than when I was doing about half as good.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 29, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've had a mixed experience on the new map so far.
It tends to get better if you're light and/or fast and can rush across the canyon into the cover of the buildings on the opposite side (so pretty much go to the old part of Frozen City if you want to have fun).
Flanking is pretty much the way to go to get anything good out of it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm considering mastering a new medium chassis. Is the Cicada viable because of the quirks?

(As in good viable, not "you can make it work but it's still poo poo")

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
If you are looking to make money, try to make a mech that shreds components. That's where a lot of your c-bills seem to come from.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

DancingShade posted:

So I'm considering mastering a new medium chassis. Is the Cicada viable because of the quirks?

I'm not sure what all you have left to do, so some default suggestions.

The trebuchet 7m with a splat setup is amazing. It took some learning to get used to the arm mount SRM, but with srm4A and a cooldown module it is streakcrow-defeatingly good.

The hunchback 4sp is worth getting basics out the other hunchies.

I've heard good things about enforcers(particularly the dual uac-5), but thats more tmerc's territory.

Question about tiers: can you actually fall back one, or once you hit one are you stuck there forever?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DancingShade posted:

2b is great, 5mpl and an xl340.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DancingShade posted:

I dunno I used too a year ago (haven't run it in awhile) had alot of success by giving the Cicada a pair of ER LL and just used it to harass people, you do a surprising amount of damage and people usually freak out if all the sudden they start taking LL hits from a flank and might try to chase you. In the main brawl (if it gets that far) the Cicada is such a low value target on the oh poo poo meter you can just run around getting back shots and coring people.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I figure I should probably run around with the Stormcrow and the Timber Wolf trial mechs more. Brawling is really fun but it seems to be too often situational in my Atlas. Makes me feel sad. :(

I do not like Lights, at least not now.

Flanking and harassing with the Stormcrow was fun. And the Timber Wolf was pretty enjoyable too.

One match on Frozen City let me sneak up close to enemies in my Atlas and open up on them. Since they were somewhat spread out that meant that I couldn't be taken down easily, and with the help of 2 other friendlies, I got 5 kills that round. So brawling is awesome! ....when I can make it work. :negative:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Coming back to the game after a long hiatus. Again.

Right now my only mech that has equipment is my Founder's Atlas. The other two Atlas and the Centurion chassis are stock with all their original equipment still sitting in there, and the lack of variety kind of sucks and also having only one mech means that when I die like a stupid new guy (which is nearly all the time) I have a lot of waiting to do.

I cant express how much fun (and cheap) Warhammers are.

Ive settled for a BeamHammer and a BoomHammer. Can be modified to a Warhamtlas.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

I dunno I used too a year ago (haven't run it in awhile) had alot of success by giving the Cicada a pair of ER LL and just used it to harass people, you do a surprising amount of damage and people usually freak out if all the sudden they start taking LL hits from a flank and might try to chase you. In the main brawl (if it gets that far) the Cicada is such a low value target on the oh poo poo meter you can just run around getting back shots and coring people.

Sounds good enough to me. Cheers (and also to the other people who answered).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

You can piss them off 50% more if you add a third LL.
Having one in the arm also means you can shoot uavs without backing up to the next planet.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
@Artificer
Try heavies. They have armor, mobility and the firepower you're looking for. Everyone else may be playing them...but they're playing them for a reason (fun)

Like Yoloman said, Warhammers are the bees knees.

TheParadigm posted:

Question about tiers: can you actually fall back one, or once you hit one are you stuck there forever?

Technically, yes. But you'd have to really suck or try to be bad to do it.

Like sabotage games kind of bad.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You can piss them off 50% more if you add a third LL.
Having one in the arm also means you can shoot uavs without backing up to the next planet.

Eh I prefer the two ER LL's while your alpha isn't as great its really easy to keep up sustained fire so you can pretty much be shooting constantly without worrying too much about heat.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is nothing more fun than driving a German speaking voice comma try hard insane by spamming affirmative negative and help.

This is gonna be the reason I uninstall.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

I know it's stupid to put more than 3 LPLs on a mech but if I wanted to do i, which chassis would be the best/have the best quirks? I just want to boat as many LPLs as possible while still being somewhat useful.

I actually have a lot of fun with a 4 LPL Warhammer. Just fire left and right.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

Eh I prefer the two ER LL's while your alpha isn't as great its really easy to keep up sustained fire so you can pretty much be shooting constantly without worrying too much about heat.

Im currently running the X-5 with 3 LL and i dont have any heat problems at all.
Given its the hero mech with 15% energy heat, but the 2B gets even more i think.

e: oh just realized youre talking ERLL not regular LLs. 3 of those might require a bit more heat management, i agree.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 29, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

I know it's stupid to put more than 3 LPLs on a mech but if I wanted to do i, which chassis would be the best/have the best quirks? I just want to boat as many LPLs as possible while still being somewhat useful.

Behold the Pulsemeister.
Its of course not the best build out there, but you wanted large pulses, i give you large pulses.
Fire left and right without ghost heat and 10% heat reduction, 10% range/duration bonus.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Behold the Pulsemeister.
Its of course not the best build out there, but you wanted large pulses, i give you large pulses.
Fire left and right without ghost heat and 10% heat reduction, 10% range/duration bonus.

Oh man, I really want to try this out. Battlemasters are rated Tier 1 by the metamechs guy and the 2C actually has a 5 LPL build: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=310&l=1d8b8c45bb717ccd1f89a45cfac14ce1615d0ff6
Thank you, I know which mechs I will buy next!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Im running a 6LL BeamMeister and an original B33f-type Wubmaster since i got the XL400 from the event.
Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqaXN5sxqpU
Battlemasters are amazingly fun.

You can build so many different laservomits its retarded.
From 6LL to 6 LPL over 3LL/3LPL or 5LPL with armor, everything goes. It even has a ballistic point somewhere i think, but the acutators prevent an AC20 so its merely for show.
Stick to lasers and just melt everyone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've never linked to mechlab before so I expect this won't work well but anyway, just had an amazing game in this:
CDA-3F(L)

Cicada-3F(L) with 3x ER-LL, 4 jump jets, XL270, 11 DHS. Runs hot which is a reminder to reposition the gently caress away from wherever you are when that happens.

Sure you could remove more jump jets but where's the fun in that? Jumping over things is good and fun.

Thanks for the tip below!

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 29, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you click the "save and share laodout" button you get a string to conveniently copy/paste,
like this: CDA-3F(L)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I miss Mechromancer.

• Locked thread