Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Finished Ventus by Karl Schroeder, his first novel that he put up for free. Pretty good. About a world terraformed by a nanite swarm that develop their own type of intelligence. On that planet is a guy who is a fragment of a malevolent god like ai who was defeated by the main human/ai civilisation. Solid prose and characters, a couple of interesting ideas, maybe minorly pretentious here and there but overall a good 7.5/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Neurosis posted:

Finished Ventus by Karl Schroeder, his first novel that he put up for free. Pretty good. About a world terraformed by a nanite swarm that develop their own type of intelligence. On that planet is a guy who is a fragment of a malevolent god like ai who was defeated by the main human/ai civilisation. Solid prose and characters, a couple of interesting ideas, maybe minorly pretentious here and there but overall a good 7.5/10.

I heartily endorse Karl Schroeder and so does Peter Watts, and if that isn't enough for this thread... ;)

Turdis McWordis posted:

1/3 through the Nightmare Stacks I kind of love it.

Me too. The happy "ding" of the notification email turned a really crappy day into a good evening.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kesper North posted:

I heartily endorse Karl Schroeder and so does Peter Watts, and if that isn't enough for this thread

Sold.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
Just finished "A talent for war", by Jack McDevitt

After reading the Academy series (recommended, except Starhawk, which is awfully bad) I wanted to take a look at other works from this guy. I remember reading The Hercules Text a lot of years ago and liking it, so I went for the Alex Benedict series.

I'm not disapointed.

The main character is a relic/archeology stuff trader living in a future universe where mankind have established a flourishing confederation of worlds. Some centuries before the facts in the book, there was a war against an alien race, which was won by mankind thanks to the actions of a war hero, who died in action but made posible the human response to the alien threat. In current days (as for the book), the uncle of Alex Benedict disappears in a starliner accident, and as his heir Alex get a hint about what his uncle (an archeologist himself) was pursuing.

What seems to be a purely academic thing gets complicated when unkown agents intervene to disrupt Alex research, so he decides to solve the puzzle himself, aided by a pretty space pilot and using the whole mountain of money he inherited from his uncle.

The book is brilliant. It mixes some action stuff with academic research (you know, the boring one based on digging on old books and documents), some space combat scenes (short enough to be "just fine" and not converting the book into another mil-sci pastiche) and, over all, the pursuit of a mistery.

The ending is good, the story gets nicely wrapped and the universe set for more stories.

I'm going to follow with the second one, and after that I'll probably check the new Asher book.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Turdis McWordis posted:

1/3 through the Nightmare Stacks I kind of love it.

Let me know how it turns out. The endings are usually what disappoint me about Stross books. Is the new protagonist good? I really didn't get a great feel for him on the last couple of books.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Let me know how it turns out. The endings are usually what disappoint me about Stross books. Is the new protagonist good? I really didn't get a great feel for him on the last couple of books.

He is bob Howard version 2.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Also, saddest nerd issue ever with what was a cool book:

The gas path components of the EJ200 engine used by the Eurofighter Typhoon are platinum and ceramic coated as an anti corrosion measure, whilst platinum does in fact react with flourine at the temperatures inside a jet engine, it does not do so quickly. I am fairly sure that the engines would suffer degradation and need a complete overhaul but they would probably last long enough to allow the plane to land especially given how damage resistant military gas turbine engines are.

Source: I work for the company who makes the things.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Rough Lobster posted:

Cardiac posted:

He is bob Howard version 2.

Sort of. I mean he has the geeky tech guy thing, but Bob was a practical IT guy by profession by the time we met him, Alex is a high level theoretical mathematician. He's also an almost 25 year old virgin, which both makes him very different from the Bob/Mhari early dynamic and matters for this plotline. To the extent they're similar I think it's good, Stross knows how to write this kind of character, and I never want to read Mo's POV again.

I liked the ending quite a bit.

One of the things I hated about Annihilation Score was that the super powers were kind of ignored, not really explored in any kind of detail and they never really mattered much to the actual set piece fights or actual plot (rather than metaplot) development. The Nightmare Stacks turns into a fantasy elves version of Tom Clancy (particularly Red Storm Rising) that actually shows and discusses what a military based on thousands of years of magical "technology" could look like.

I liked that you could see how the conflict was going to be resolved (after massive civilian casualties and various military/Laundry show downs with the bad guys) from the mid book plot developments and the title of the last chapter, but he still surprised me with the scale of it and I LOL'd at the particular way they ended things on the last couple of pages. You think the Laundry would be relieved that the conflict is over, but ever single member has to be making GBS threads their pants at the way Alex and Cassie choose to do it.

My biggest complaint is that the name of the book makes zero sense. There is a Nightmare Stacks, which is a weapons cache but it has very little to do with the action or plot. Unless it's a metaphor for this being (in addition to a romantic comedy) a Clancy-esque shoot-em-up. My minor complaint is that I'm still not sure what he was trying to pull off with the Scorpion Stare deployment and whether it suceeded. Was it to set up even more extreme consequences for the Laundry management in the next book, possibly including government orders to shut down their defenses? To make us think that the Laundry hasn't fully thought through the implications and capabilities of their weapons so we and they should be even more scared of Case Nightmare Green? To make you think the conflict is going to be resolved one way, then yank the rug out from under you? (This sort of worked, in that I expected this to be effective, but I also thought it was obvious that the ultimate resolution would come the way it did, if not specifically via invocation of both the Dead Gods and the UN Convention on Refugees in the same plea.

As far as romantic comedies angle goes, the meet the parents dinner scene reminded me quite a bit of the dinner party in A Civil Campaign. I'll be rereading this one again soon with a more critical eye, but this is probably my favorite Laundry book ever, albeit because I don't know/care much about the IT angle of the predecessors, and do know/care quite a bit about the military stuff and awkward dating in this one.

Turdis McWordis fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 29, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What's with the super lovely reviews of Annihilation Score on Amazon? I didn't find it that much different from the rest of the series.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Mo is super boring/bitchy, there are hardly any superheroes in this superhero book, it's all bureaucracy, PowerPoint, midlife crisis, and gobbledygook.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
People apparently prefer reading about twentysomething male geeks than middle aged female civil servants. Also dogwhistle dogwhistle dogwhistle.

Actually speaking of "bitchy" female characters I would've loved for the vampire-POV Laundry Files book to be from the perspective of Mhari the resident HBIC. Using the perspective change to follow what seems to be a baby-Bob was not a particularly inspired choice.

Anyways, I blew through Hope and Red by Jon Skovron pretty quickly. It's one of those books that starts out pretty poorly (Skovron makes the mistake of trying and failing to write child characters) and there are some pacing issues but now I really want to read the next book. The premise is pretty crazy though. Think ninjas meet pirates meet street urchin thieves with a dash of body horror from the resident magicians.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Turdis McWordis posted:

Mo is super boring/bitchy, there are hardly any superheroes in this superhero book, it's all bureaucracy, PowerPoint, midlife crisis, and gobbledygook.

This is literally every previous Laundry book. The biggest problem with it is that Mo isn't a distinct enough character from Bob.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I think Annihilation Score is somehow worse than the rest of the series. I was actually stoked for a book with Mo as the main character, but the utter dumbness of the superhero idea and the dull bureaucratic plot with an actual bureaucracy instead of an arcane one just made me feel like a Daily Mail reader seething with rage at the EU trying to straighten our cucumbers. So gently caress that book.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is the rest of the series worth picking up, despite this outlier?

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

pseudorandom name posted:

This is literally every previous Laundry book. The biggest problem with it is that Mo isn't a distinct enough character from Bob.

No. The others used faked magic bureaucracy for humor and flavor. Annihilation Score has several chapters on business plan development. The others had actual magic and conflicts solved by the magic system that are described. AH has superheroes who don't do anything on screen and Mo playing a violin that auto wins.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

Is the rest of the series worth picking up, despite this outlier?

I'd say yes. The first couple at least are pretty clever spoofs of Cold War-era fiction and even when it shifts into becoming its own thing it's pretty good. I find the first four books very enjoyable, then it's a bumpy ride.
Also don't skip the side stories, Equoid in particular is great.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I liked The Annihilation Score and even I can admit that the book made CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN come off like it was Marvel Comics instead of Lovecraft's worst, well, nightmare.

Also a few chapters in to the new book and new-Bob is adorably clueless and super scared of actual-Bob but occasionally remembers how Mhari saved his rear end and I couldn't help but want to return to her viewpoint so we could get the perspective of someone competent again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Laundry Files series is overall pretty variable in quality book to book.

New book is probably the best out of the past four or so entries, definite improvement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I liked The Annihilation Score and even I can admit that the book made CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN come off like it was Marvel Comics instead of Lovecraft's worst, well, nightmare.

Well, to be fair CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is still ramping up. What was happening in Annihilation Score was a byproduct of CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN's effects on our universe.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

flosofl posted:

Well, to be fair CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is still ramping up. What was happening in Annihilation Score was a byproduct of CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN's effects on our universe.

I get the rationale, I just didn't like the effect. :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I get the rationale, I just didn't like the effect. :shrug:

Oh, I hear you on that. Part of it is me just reminding myself that "this is the not the CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN you're waiting for" because of how uninteresting the book was. I don't quite understand the Mo hatred, but I definitely think she's not a compelling POV character. The whole book felt like it was just spinning it's wheels until the last few chapters.

From what I understand the next two books after Nightmare Stacks are dealing directly with CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN. That was a year or two back I heard that, so that may have changed and I haven't read the latest one yet.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

We were just talking about this in another thread, and while I'll never agree that Mo was a bad character I'll definitely agree that the plot mostly sucked and was boring and really appeared to be a way to get rid of the violin.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i'm kind of glad i never read past the atrocity archives based on the wildly variable reviews that series always gets.

hotness review: Ninefox Gambit was really good, yes it's also guilty of being PART ONE but very much unlike Too Like the Lightning it represents a complete and satisfying plot arc. Basically everything i've read by Yoon Ha Lee has been excellent and this continues that trend.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 30, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there an actual genre term for the "old future" setting where mankind has been in space for hundreds/thousands of years? You know like Revelation Space or Schismatrix Plus. There's something about it that I just really like, especially when it's characters interacting with weird ancient future tech.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

Is there an actual genre term for the "old future" setting where mankind has been in space for hundreds/thousands of years? You know like Revelation Space or Schismatrix Plus. There's something about it that I just really like, especially when it's characters interacting with weird ancient future tech.

huh? schismatrix plus is in the 22nd century.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Amazon just let me know that the Vandermeers' murder-weapon-disguised-as-a-short-story-anthology, The Big Book of Science Fiction, is coming out on July 12.

800,000 words:

quote:

Yoshio Aramaki, “Soft Clocks” 1968 (Japan) – translated by Kazuko Behrens and stylized by Lewis Shiner
Juan José Arreola, “Baby H.P.” 1952 (Mexico) – new translation by Larry Nolen
Isaac Asimov, “The Last Question” 1956
J.G. Ballard, “The Voices of Time” 1960
Iain M. Banks, “A Gift from the Culture” 1987
Jacques Barbéri, “Mondo Cane” 1983 (France) – first translation by Brian Evenson
John Baxter, “The Hands” 1965
Barrington J. Bayley, “Sporting with the Chid” 1979
Greg Bear, “Blood Music” 1983
Dmitri Bilenkin, “Crossing of the Paths” 1984 – new translation by James Womack
Jon Bing, “The Owl of Bear Island” 1986 (Norway) - translation
Adolfo Bioy Casares, “The Squid Chooses Its Own Ink” 1962 (Argentina) - new translation by Marian Womack
Michael Bishop, “The House of Compassionate Sharers” 1977
James Blish, “Surface Tension” 1952
Michael Blumlein, “The Brains of Rats” 1990
Jorge Luis Borges, “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius” 1940 (Argentina) – translation by Andrew Hurley
Ray Bradbury, “September 2005: The Martian” 1949
David R. Bunch, “Three From Moderan” 1959, 1970
Octavia Butler, “Bloodchild” 1984
Pat Cadigan, “Variations on a Man” 1984
André Carneiro, “Darkness” 1965 (Brazil) – translation by Leo L. Barrow
Stepan Chapman, “How Alex Became a Machine” 1996
C.J. Cherryh, “Pots” 1985
Ted Chiang, “The Story of Your Life” 1998
Arthur C. Clarke, “The Star” 1955
John Crowley, “Snow” 1985
Samuel R. Delany, “Aye, and Gomorrah” 1967
Philip K. Dick, “Beyond Lies the Wub” 1952
Cory Doctorow, “Craphound” 1998
W.E.B. Du Bois, “The Comet” 1920
Jean-Claude Dunyach, “Paranamanco” 1987 (France) – translation by Sheryl Curtis
S. N. Dyer, “Passing as a Flower in the City of the Dead” 1984
Harlan Ellison, “‘Repent Harlequin!’ Said the Ticktock Man” 1965
Carol Emshwiller, “Pelt” 1958
Paul Ernst, “The Microscopic Giants” 1936
Karen Joy Fowler, “The Lake Was Full of Artificial Things” 1985
Sever Gansovsky, “Day of Wrath” 1964 (Ukraine) – new translation by James Womack
William Gibson, “New Rose Hotel” 1984
Angélica Gorodischer, “The Unmistakable Smell of Wood Violets” 1973 (Argentina) – first translation by Marian Womack
Edmond Hamilton, “The Star Stealers” 1929
Han Song, “Two Small Birds” 1988 (China) – first translation by John Chu
Alfred Jarry, “The Elements of Pataphysics” 1911 (re-translation by Gio Clairval; France)
Gwyneth Jones, “The Universe of Things” 1993
Langdon Jones, “The Hall of Machines” 1968
Kaijo Shinji, “Reiko’s Universe Box” 1981 (Japan) – translation by Toyoda
Takashi and Gene van Troyer
Gérard Klein, “The Monster” 1958 (France) – translation by Damon Knight
Damon Knight, “Stranger Station” 1956
Leena Krohn, “The Gorgonoids” 1992 (Finland) – translation by Hildi Hawkins
R.A. Lafferty, “Nine Hundred Grandmothers” 1966
Kojo Laing, “Vacancy for the Post of Jesus Christ” 1992 (Ghana)
Geoffrey A. Landis, “Vacuum States” 1988
Tanith Lee, “Crying in the Rain” 1987
Ursula K. Le Guin, “Vaster Than Empires and More Slow” 1971
Stanisław Lem, “Let Us Save the Universe” 1981 (Poland) – translation by Joel Stern and Maria Swiecicka-Ziemianek
Cixin Liu, “The Poetry Cloud” 1997 (China) – translation by Chi-yin Ip and Cheuk Wong
Katherine MacLean, “The Snowball Effect” 1952
Geoffrey Maloney, “Remnants of the Virago Crypto-System” 1995
George R.R. Martin, “Sandkings” 1979
Michael Moorcock, “The Frozen Cardinal” 1987
Pat Murphy, “Rachel in Love” 1987
Misha Nogha, “Death is Static Death is Movement” 1990
Silvina Ocampo, “The Waves” 1959 (Argentina) – first translation by Marian Womack
Chad Oliver, “Let Me Live in a House” 1954
Manjula Padmanabhan, “Sharing Air” 1984 (India)
Frederick Pohl, “Day Million” 1966
Rachel Pollack, “Burning Sky” 1989
Robert Reed, “The Remoras” 1994
Kim Stanley Robinson, “Before I Wake”1989
Joanna Russ, “When It Changed” 1972
Josephine Saxton, “The Snake Who Had Read Chomsky” 1981
Paul Scheerbart, “The New Abyss” 1911 (Germany) – first translation by Daniel Ableev and Sarah Kaseem
James H. Schmitz, “Grandpa” 1955
Vadim Shefner, “A Modest Genius” 1965 (Russia) –translation by Matthew J. O’Connell
Robert Silverberg, “Good News from the Vatican” 1971
Clifford D. Simak, “Desertion” 1944
Johanna Sinisalo, “Baby Doll” 2002 (Finland) – translation by David Hackston
Cordwainer Smith, “The Game of Rat and Dragon” 1955
Margaret St. Clair, “Prott” 1985
Bruce Sterling, “Swarm” 1982
Karl Hans Strobl, “The Triumph of Mechanics” 1907 (Germany) – first translation by Gio Clairval
Arkady & Boris Strugatsky, “The Visitors” 1958 (Russia) – new translation by James Womack
Theodore Sturgeon, “The Man Who Lost the Sea” 1959
William Tenn, “The Liberation of Earth” 1953
William Tenn, “Ghost Standard” 1994
James Tiptree, Jr., “And I Awoke and Found Me Here on the Cold Hill’s Side” 1972
Tatyana Tolstoya, “The Slynx” 2000 (Russia) – translation byJamey Gambrell
Yasutaka Tsutsui, “Standing Woman” 1974 (Japan) – translation by Dana Lewis
Lisa Tuttle, “Wives” 1979
Miguel de Unamuno, “Mechanopolis” 1913 (Spain) – new translation by Marian Womack
Élisabeth Vonarburg, “Readers of Lost Art” 1987 (Canada/Quebec) – translation by Howard Scott
Kurt Vonnegut, “2BRO2B” 1962
H.G. Wells, “The Star,” 1897
James White, “Sector General” 1957
Connie Willis, “Schwarzschild Radius” 1987
Gene Wolfe, “All the Hues of Hell” 1987
Alicia Yánez Cossío, “The IWM 1000” 1975 (Chile) – translation by Susana Castillo and Elsie Adams
Valentina Zhuravlyova, “The Astronaut” 1960 (Russia) – new translation by James Womack
Yefim Zozulya, “The Doom of Principal City” 1918 (Russian) – first translation by Vlad Zhenevsky

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flosofl posted:

From what I understand the next two books after Nightmare Stacks are dealing directly with CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN. That was a year or two back I heard that, so that may have changed and I haven't read the latest one yet.

Early on in Nightmare Stacks Alex makes the observation that the Laundry expects to be on a wartime footing in a year or so. They're rating up for CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN in a big way. That makes CASE NIGHTMARE RED breaking out a really unwelcome surprise. Some of the other CASE NIGHTMARE RAINBOW scenarios get some talking time in the book.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Antti posted:

Amazon just let me know that the Vandermeers' murder-weapon-disguised-as-a-short-story-anthology, The Big Book of Science Fiction, is coming out on July 12.

800,000 words:

That reminds me that I need to start digging into The Weird sometime soon.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm now reading The Alex Benedict series by McDevitt, and in that universe mankind has been in space for some millenia. Enough time to produce archeological sites, rare ancient artifacts and semi-true legends, which is the stuff the books are about.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Antti posted:

Guess I know what I'll be reading on my summer vacation, then.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Nightmare Stacks would be a lot less scary if people weren't actively promoting Theresa May as our next PM.

Still a good book. Whoever referred to it as Stross doing Red Storm Rising had a point.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

chrisoya posted:

The Nightmare Stacks would be a lot less scary if people weren't actively promoting Theresa May as our next PM.

Still a good book. Whoever referred to it as Stross doing Red Storm Rising had a point.

The part of the book that featured an obvious May analogue cracked me up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Was out for a walk, thinking about the Nightmare Stacks, or at least as far as I've gotten on it so far, and I had a setting idea I thought was interesting. Original concept do not steal:

Humanity has finally been invited to join the Galatic Federation now that we're advanced enough to be interesting. There's just one problem: It turns out that the wise, noble and ancient races that make up the Galactic Federation are basically elder gods, and infovores, and humanity must either sign up and become complicit in mass genocide to slake the demand of the Dining Club for delicious, vivid, meat-body-experience memories, or refuse and fight for survival against many-angled femtotech tentacle monsters from beyond the stars. (Humans at this point virtually being femtotech tentacle monsters themselves. Evolution's a bitch sometimes.)

In this setting, humanity has lost that fight and is looking to flee into our universe in order to use it as a staging ground for a counterattack, but first the local baselines must be made useful.

A Special Operations Gestalt is dispatched to solve the problem, and it in turn buds off an interface for interacting with baselines and translating god-thoughts into thoughts and actions the locals can comprehend. The interface inherits enough of its creating gestalt's fear, grief and loneliness to be humanized as it acculturates to having an endocrine system again, and remembers what love is for while forcibly uplifting the primitive hominids of this brane.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The part of the book that featured an obvious May analogue cracked me up.

Explain for those of us on the momentarily, relatively, sane side of the pond ?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Explain for those of us on the momentarily, relatively, sane side of the pond ?

At the end of Chapter 17, there is a discussion with the Right Honorable Jeremy Michaels, which is the only real portion of the book with any obvious governmental analogues.

Mind you, I can't explain the analogue to you, being on the same side of the pond.

Woke but broke
Jun 17, 2016
I gather as a fellow seppo that the bitchy dragon Home Secretary who featured prominently in the Atrocity Archives, and very briefly in this one, is based on the actual Home Secretary. Since I'm not one of those poncy Brits I don't find it quite as annoying and tone deaf as the similar thing he did with US government officials in the Merchant Princes.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
This is re: The Nightmare Stacks. I must be thick but what's implied at the end of the family dinner when they're about to leave and the main character sees Cassie talking to Mack furtively and his sister offers to stay behind?

There's two books left in the series right? I imagine that a lot of it is going to be trying to deal with a world that is rapidly waking up to the fact that the paranormal is real, real bad, and about to tear the collective heads of humanity off.

Woke but broke
Jun 17, 2016

RoboCicero posted:

This is re: The Nightmare Stacks. I must be thick but what's implied at the end of the family dinner when they're about to leave and the main character sees Cassie talking to Mack furtively and his sister offers to stay behind?

There's two books left in the series right? I imagine that a lot of it is going to be trying to deal with a world that is rapidly waking up to the fact that the paranormal is real, real bad, and about to tear the collective heads of humanity off.

I thought she told them to GTFO town. But that leaves the parents stranded and uniformed by their daughter, so who knows.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I think it's reasonable (and correct) that Cassie guessed his parents were much less likely and able to take such advice seriously and so didn't bother, but figured his sister was likely to bail fast.

Plus there's all sorts of implied beliefs about what's appropriate to do in terms of direct imperatives to your boyfriend's parents (elders) vs. your boyfriend's sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grimson posted:

I think it's reasonable (and correct) that Cassie guessed his parents were much less likely and able to take such advice seriously and so didn't bother, but figured his sister was likely to bail fast.

Plus there's all sorts of implied beliefs about what's appropriate to do in terms of direct imperatives to your boyfriend's parents (elders) vs. your boyfriend's sister

Cassie did at least mark a warding sign on their front door so the Wild Hunt would pass them by.