Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dandywalken posted:

Steamhead Duradins.

no, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Lone Badger posted:

Playing as Mordor, I've had a Ranger assassinate at least eight of my captains so far. Thing is I'm certain I've killed him at least twice - the second time I checked the name and it was definitely him. But now he's running around again and just destroyed the new Statue I built. Bug?

Do you have the "Sons of Fëanor" mod? It's got a ton of super obscure characters from the lore mixed in with the quality of life fixes, and that sounds like the culprit. If you take the "Less OP Agents" mod though that guy stops killing your captains near as much and they start generating some neat traits from all the assassination attempts.

I still chuckle when I check an Uruk and he's managed to gain "Shire-trained Chef" though :allears:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 29, 2016

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Orks :colbert: Also known as 'The Best Faction' for those challenged by lettering.

Also I just found out that Night Goblins have Stalk as an ability along with the usual goblin vanguard deployment. Suddenly they seem a lot more potent as a flanking/disrupting unit. Fanatics seem like a waste of time but they're an incredibly cheap upgrade and seeing one knock over a quarter of a unit and keep on spinning is a lot of fun.

Also also throwing gobbo's under the proverbial bus to blunt enemy charges goes against every TW instinct I possess however it feels so so good

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Units with a "expendable" tag have to be the most fun total war units around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I get my economy running as VC? As Empire I just spammed cloth everywhere, but the vamp econ building (gibbet) is terrible by comparison.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I get my economy running as VC? As Empire I just spammed cloth everywhere, but the vamp econ building (gibbet) is terrible by comparison.

city centers and the fact that corpses are cheap.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Necromancer to reduce the cost of the goldmine tiers in your capital, and then to reduce the cost of getting to T4 cities with vampire crypts, they are expensive but your best income source and best agents, vamps also have amazing growth.

I'm finding T3 minor settlements not to be worth the pop cost in delaying the capital going to 4, but 1 pop cost to go from 1 > 2 is pretty good.

The minor has to have a really good reason to go to T3 or a need to get access to walls I've found, that pop just gets wasted if it ends up sacked.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Lone Badger posted:

Playing as Mordor, I've had a Ranger assassinate at least eight of my captains so far. Thing is I'm certain I've killed him at least twice - the second time I checked the name and it was definitely him. But now he's running around again and just destroyed the new Statue I built. Bug?

:golfclap:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Why does Rohan start with an unrest and diplo penalty? You already have to deal with Isengard sacking your minor settlements so you end up with revolts everywhere and one army under Eomer trying to put out fires. Half the time I lose everything but Helm's Deep and have to make a last stand against doomstack there where Rohan sucks because they have no good infantry just a bunch of peasants.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Units with a "expendable" tag have to be the most fun total war units around.

If an expendable tagged unit dies and you win the battle, you should get it back for free at full strength imo. I'd be a lot more likely to use them throughout the entire game, and use them as you "should".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BTW please do Warmachine for the next Total War.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jack2142 posted:

Why does Rohan start with an unrest and diplo penalty? You already have to deal with Isengard sacking your minor settlements so you end up with revolts everywhere and one army under Eomer trying to put out fires. Half the time I lose everything but Helm's Deep and have to make a last stand against doomstack there where Rohan sucks because they have no good infantry just a bunch of peasants.

If you think Rohan gets public order issues, hope you never get a rebellion in Isengard. The AI deployed a couple of Hobbits when I wasn't looking, and oof.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

If you think Rohan gets public order issues, hope you never get a rebellion in Isengard. The AI deployed a couple of Hobbits when I wasn't looking, and oof.

I've read about that. One guy had the loving trees form a rebel faction. Pretty amusing bug.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

:regd08:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Is there anything you can do to deal with Gondor's bullshit ghost army stacks? My vassals are useless and simply hand end up giving Gondor free boats.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Danann posted:

Is there anything you can do to deal with Gondor's bullshit ghost army stacks? My vassals are useless and simply hand end up giving Gondor free boats.

What's a ghost gonna do with a boat?

:iiam:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
That patch/DLC can't come soon enough

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I wonder if they'll throw us any bones on what the DLC plan is now that the game has been out for a month.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonkish posted:

I wonder if they'll throw us any bones on what the DLC plan is now that the game has been out for a month.

Krell is coming, don't worry.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Some kind of facebook announcement today in about two hours, according to their twitter account.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VC is hard. Averland took one of the cities in Western Sylvania, so I wardecced them to take it back then conquered Averland too. But the Border Princes are sending a steady stream of Captains to keep Corruption down and Unrest up, replacing them faster than I can kill them. (Even though I'm not at war with them.) So I have to keep one full army in Averland to kill rebels, the Dwarves are attacking, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the orcs who ate Zhufbar attack.
Empire was way easier, after the first few turns I only fought people I chose to attack and once I took a province I could move on.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
It's usually the björnlings in my campaigns

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Any tips for archer counter as Dwarves? Currently really struggling with green-skin stacks that are almost entirely archers, my lads little legs can't catch them and we end up wandering round the map in aimless attrition. Particularly an issue when I'm outnumbered.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bring more archers, yours beat theirs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah, you should have a lot of quarrelers who will demolish the orc archers in a shoot off.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zalakwe posted:

Any tips for archer counter as Dwarves? Currently really struggling with green-skin stacks that are almost entirely archers, my lads little legs can't catch them and we end up wandering round the map in aimless attrition. Particularly an issue when I'm outnumbered.

Your quarrelers are way better than pretty much any ranged unit they can field barring maybe spider archers. Bring your own ranged and snipe them back. Greenskin armies lack a good armor piercing ranged guys so your quarrelers should really gently caress theirs up bad in a 1 to 1 faceoff.

I think someone was saying the ideal dwarf layout is to have 3-5 artillery (be it grudge throwers or cannons) and then equal parts melee and ranged in front of that in checkerboard formation. Let them come to you (they will come to you if you have siege superiority) and break on your super tough wall of beards.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

Wafflecopper posted:

This, pretty much. Your quarrelers will outshoot anything ranged that orcs can bring any day of the week. Your guys are well armoured and shielded, meaning that they can weather incoming missiles quite well while putting out accurate and powerful fire in return. Your infantry will also be able to just stand and take enemy arrows on the chin with relatively few losses.

You'll generally want a good number of quarrelers in pretty much all your armies anyways, because they are also your only quick and reliable way of killing enemy cavalry.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

I think someone was saying the ideal dwarf layout is to have 3-5 artillery (be it grudge throwers or cannons) and then equal parts melee and ranged in front of that in checkerboard formation. Let them come to you (they will come to you if you have siege superiority) and break on your super tough wall of beards.

I've been doing this, except with splitting my army into two blocks of mobile fortresses supporting each other. The AI usually engages one group, which allows the other to flank the attacking force despite the Dwarfen Short Legs, no idea how it'd work out in multiplayer.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turn 124 and I finally finished the Reiksguard Runefang quest.

It's very easy to win when you have Franz on a pegasus, rockets/cannons in defilade and demigryph knights for spice.

I think it's a mark of how completely terrible I am at this game that people have won long campaign victories by now and I haven't even built a steam tank

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Cheers all. Just had quite a bit more success in my last battle by doing a bit more standing there with a few more bows. Also have realised there is a Quarallers damage buff on the tech tree so going to go for that. Feels weird playing without cavalry.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

Feels weird playing without cavalry.

This was the biggest hurdle to get over for me - I'm a cav-reliant kind of person so having to get used to channeling my inner rock was a bit of a challenge. Luckily, dwarves are so drat good that it wasn't too difficult.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Turn 124 and I finally finished the Reiksguard Runefang quest.

It's very easy to win when you have Franz on a pegasus, rockets/cannons in defilade and demigryph knights for spice.

I think it's a mark of how completely terrible I am at this game that people have won long campaign victories by now and I haven't even built a steam tank
My main question is how the hell is Karl not on Deathclaw by that point?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have an issue where Steam always says the game is running even when it's not? It's the only game in my library that does this. I have to close Steam on the task manager to play every time.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

My main question is how the hell is Karl not on Deathclaw by that point?

Because someone mentioned earlier that they held off upgrading to deathclaw because it was more fun to watch Franz hammer dudes into the stratosphere and I figured that sounded like fun to keep for a while. Besides, I loving know this campaign is going to go on long enough for me to get deathclaw eventually anyways.

I'm looking forward to taking Karl for a southern campaign - Dwarves are getting clowned on by Greenskins. Their owned settlements are scattered all over, and they don't even own Karaz-a-Karak anymore :iit:

Tangentally related - does the AI not prioritize recolonizing ruins at all? There's a bunch of ruined settlements that have been up for grabs and nowhere near any combat action for ages now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Also what version of Molay's is everyone running with? I want to restart my Empire campaign and would like Gelt to be worth a drat. Does the mod throw any other magic users completely off balance?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ChickenWing posted:

Tangentally related - does the AI not prioritize recolonizing ruins at all? There's a bunch of ruined settlements that have been up for grabs and nowhere near any combat action for ages now.

I think it depends on the random AI personality, I saw Mannfred with a resettler trait once.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

I've seen this and I know other people have mentioned it. Anyone know of a mod that changes this? It sounds simple enough I may make one if there aren't any.

Somewhat relatedly, I wish rebels wouldn't be Vampiric or Chaos until 40 or 50 percent corruption. I know Kislev will rebel back into existence, but not in Chaos or undead form...though I'd love to see a mod for undead Kislev.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Also what version of Molay's is everyone running with? I want to restart my Empire campaign and would like Gelt to be worth a drat. Does the mod throw any other magic users completely off balance?

I'm running Molay's with Large unit sizes and spells still don't feel overpowered. Quest items are a bit OP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have an issue where Steam always says the game is running even when it's not? It's the only game in my library that does this. I have to close Steam on the task manager to play every time.

Is the CA launcher still running?

I know somebody who had this happen with Xcom. I think he fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling, but I can't remember. From what I recall it's a relatively common Steam bug.

• Locked thread