Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

aarstar posted:

Why would a new tablet from Amazon not have a warranty? But yea, Apple refurbs are really good.

Amazon doesn't sell iPads, so it's a third-party reseller, probably not an authorized one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Be extra cautious with Amazon marketplace. It ain't like it used to be.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

iPad users, especially iPad Pro + stylus users, how useful do you(or would you) find it for school vs a MacBook? I had one a few years back but it really didn't seem to be too productive. Perhaps that's changed now with apps/accessories like stylus & keyboard.

I have a desktop at home, its more for doing stuff between classes or for when I travel. So its up in the air of this vs a MacBook purchase at this point.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

EconOutlines posted:

iPad users, especially iPad Pro + stylus users, how useful do you(or would you) find it for school vs a MacBook? I had one a few years back but it really didn't seem to be too productive. Perhaps that's changed now with apps/accessories like stylus & keyboard.

I have a desktop at home, its more for doing stuff between classes or for when I travel. So its up in the air of this vs a MacBook purchase at this point.

I use my Big Pro and a Stylus for note taking and scratch paper with Evernote. I got so accustomed to using it that when the battery in my Pencil needed to be charged I felt helpless, haha. It's really good for note taking.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sneaky iPad tip from reddit:

quote:

iPad Protip: quickly switch tabs in safari by pinch + swiping.
Pinch in until the "expose" view begins. DO NOT COMPLETE the gesture AND DO NOT LET GO, swipe to the left or right with two fingers.
Once you get used to it, it's life changing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I figured that one by accident didn't know it was pro specific.

Edit: nm read iPad protip as iPad Pro tip

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Housh posted:

Be extra cautious with Amazon marketplace. It ain't like it used to be.

So now you get non-counterfeit items? Cool!

(Got knock-off phone batteries off Amazon marketplace yeeeears ago.)

That being said, if it's shipped by Amazon anyway, Amazon will stand by it. Easy refund, etc.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

ddogflex posted:

That being said, if it's shipped by Amazon anyway, Amazon will stand by it. Easy refund, etc.
I just returned a janky car heatsheild and it was my first return to Amazon. I was really impressed how easy the process was.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ddogflex posted:

So now you get non-counterfeit items? Cool!

(Got knock-off phone batteries off Amazon marketplace yeeeears ago.)

Shipped by Amazon? Yes. Shipped by a vendor using Amazon? Not always a good experience...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone use a magic keyboard with an iPad? Thinking of getting it for my Pro for using with Word and Final Draft. Does it still have all the shortcuts of the Pro keyboard cases?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Feenix posted:

Shipped by Amazon? Yes. Shipped by a vendor using Amazon? Not always a good experience...

Right. That's what I said in the post you quoted. "shipped by Amazon"

Buying from anything else is basically eBay. gently caress that noise.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ddogflex posted:

Right. That's what I said in the post you quoted. "shipped by Amazon"

Buying from anything else is basically eBay. gently caress that noise.

I know, just reiterating for those curious that you can buy things on Amazon.com that do NOT have good return policies/ free returns, etc...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

I know, just reiterating for those curious that you can buy things on Amazon.com that do NOT have good return policies/ free returns, etc...

Yes I just found this out recently as well. I'll have to make sure I pay a little more attention when I order things I guess.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't buy anything on Amazon that doesn't have the "Prime Shipping" logo on it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also this. Also if you're a huge loving manbaby, "free same day delivery on orders over 35 dollars".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mu Zeta posted:

Basically this. I wish there was a way to have that filter turned on at all times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

Also this. Also if you're a huge loving manbaby, "free same day delivery on orders over 35 dollars".

I'm pretty sure this depends on where you live and won't show up if they can't do it for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Housh posted:

Anyone use a magic keyboard with an iPad? Thinking of getting it for my Pro for using with Word and Final Draft. Does it still have all the shortcuts of the Pro keyboard cases?

So the keyboard that comes with macs also works with iPads?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
basically any bluetooth keyboard will work with an ipad afaik

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Noctone posted:

basically any bluetooth keyboard will work with an ipad afaik

This. For a while, the portable keyboard that everyone recommended was made and sold by Microsoft, of all companies.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This. For a while, the portable keyboard that everyone recommended was made and sold by Microsoft, of all companies.

Heck, I used to use a PalmOS Bluetooth keyboard for a while just because of the portability. The only problem with older or non-specific models is the shortcut keys might not map properly. Most of the time they still work.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You can even get an app that lets you use your macbook pro/air/whatever's keyboard

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
HBO finally update their apps for the 13" Pro. I'm shocked.

I wish other apps would update. Goddamnit. It's been like 9 months.

Also, why can't they add a loving split keyboard? Typing on the full size one with my thumbs is a bit of a stretch on this and I'm still not use to it after months and months. I never used split on the 10" because it was so small already. It seems like the exact opposite of what would be reasonable.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you know what model it was? I'm looking at the Logitech K811 because it's backlit and easy to switch to different Apple devices.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Housh posted:

Do you know what model it was? I'm looking at the Logitech K811 because it's backlit and easy to switch to different Apple devices.

I have the K811. It owns and I use it daily. Battery lasts forever on it too.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Yeah, just buy the K811. It's awesome. Worth every penny. I was even using it on my PC for a while because I liked it so much.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

:krad:

Thanks, guys!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Biodome posted:

I use my Big Pro and a Stylus for note taking and scratch paper with Evernote. I got so accustomed to using it that when the battery in my Pencil needed to be charged I felt helpless, haha. It's really good for note taking.

If so, that's a major plus. My goal would be to take notes from the board(obviously), or load a PDF or PowerPoint of the slides onto Evernote and take notes directly on the slides.

I'm guessing Evernote is the best note taking software for iPad? I don't mind their pricing, as long as the quality is there. If anyone could describe Evernote in a University setting more in-depth, or use of a keyboard say to SSH, I'd really appreciate it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Nope, I use something else (previously OneNote) if I actually have to take notes for something (out of college these days, though), and there are a few other options. To be totally honest, every time I really tried to use Evernote, I couldn't make it stick. Everything works okay, I just feel like it's all a little too disjointed for me.

Actually lately I've only been using Notes, built into iOS and OS X, and it's been really good. I think you could probably make it work for you as a classroom setting (folders for each class, say) but it's probably not ideal for you.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Had to factory reset my iPad, now not all my texts are showing up in Messages. Seems I'm only getting the texts from my friends who have iPhones, but not from Androids. Is there a setting I need to turn on to receive SMS?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kevyn posted:

Had to factory reset my iPad, now not all my texts are showing up in Messages. Seems I'm only getting the texts from my friends who have iPhones, but not from Androids. Is there a setting I need to turn on to receive SMS?

You may need to re-enable text forwarding on your phone.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

jeeves posted:

Trying to decide between an Ipad Air 2 or ipad pro 9.7.

Oh man, I won't be using this for drawing or such, mostly light games and comics, so an ipad air 2 is probably fine. But oh man being 3 years out of date with apple products seems dangerous thanks to apple.

I just switched from Air 2 64GB to pro 9.7 128GB. And I love it!
The 4 speakers are nice, the sound is poweful.
I did not enjoy watching vids and gaming without headphones on the Air2.
The 2 additional speakers make a huge difference for me.
The pro display is slightly better, it has less reflections, I like the truetone Feature. The p3-color spectrum looks slightly better as well. You can use the Apple pencil as well.
The pro 9.7 has a 12 Megapixelcam (Air2 has 8 Mp) with true-tone-flash feature.
The A9x CPU is way more powefull than the A8 xin the Air2 and more futureproof for gaming and multitasking in the next years with more demanding apps, games and iOS versions.
128 GB should be enough, I needed more space (55 GB used on my Air2).

The Air2 still is an amazing Tablet, but the amount of small and nice improvements and pro features with better hardware makes me recommend the Pro 9.7 if you like this formfactor.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 2, 2016

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Baby cracked my old rear end iPad 2 today, so I would like to order one today for Thursday's vacation. Not sure if we are going regular size or mini yet, but I wanted to check in. Air 1 vs 2? Mini 2 vs 3 vs 4? Any big things I need to know? Or just best deal on refurb store?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

Baby cracked my old rear end iPad 2 today, so I would like to order one today for Thursday's vacation. Not sure if we are going regular size or mini yet, but I wanted to check in. Air 1 vs 2? Mini 2 vs 3 vs 4? Any big things I need to know? Or just best deal on refurb store?

I can't comment on the full size iPads but as a mini fan:

2 = 3. Same guts and specs. The only difference is touchID on the 3.

The 4 has the same specs as an Air 2 and is thinner and lighter than the mini 2/3.

I have a mini 3 and it's still good but man, the 2gb of RAM in the 4 would be nice. Get a mini 4.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Air 2 and Mini 4 have 2GB RAM and let you do the newer stuff like split screen apps, Air 2 has an extra CPU core (and maybe more graphics cores?) so in theory it could be supported longer.

Air 1 and Mini 2 are basically hardware equivalent iirc, and the mini 3 basically just added Touch ID. They all have crappier screens than the latest versions too I think.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Ok. Air 2/Mini 4 it is. Thanks!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hi, wanted to post an updated regarding the yellow dots on my screen, not wanting a refurbished iPad Pro as a replacement and being over a month past the return period.

I finally went in today and explained it at the Genius Bar. The guy basically looked at it and said "yeah your screen is messed up" even though it was a lot harder to see the yellow lines and impossible to see the dots with the lighting in the Apple Store. So he got a new one from the back, charged back my card a refund and charged me for the new one so that my apple care would start today rather than when I initially bought it. I didn't even really have to explain anything or even mention that I didn't want a refurb. I am very impressed by the experience - I didn't expect that they would make it so that my apple care started today with the replacement, that was really cool of them, and I even have the standard 14 days if I wanted to return it for any reason.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I always consider the premium pricing on Apple products to be essentially paying for the great service you'll get after purchase.

You probably shouldn't worry about getting a refurb though - they're as good as factory quality (probably better, since they'll be individually tested)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Welp, just had the ipad pro 9.7 versus ipad air 2 debate in my head finished-- my work said they'll buy me an refurb ipad air 2 due the price. Time to just look for a nice case!

The ipad mini 1 that I had been using from work was encased in what looks like a Lifeproof Fre, and I kind of liked the piece of mind of having a screen protector + totally entombed in that redic case. However, it looks like a) they don't sell ipad air 2 fres anymore due to it not being in stock anywhere online and b) from what I've read on this thread the whole screen protection thing is overblown and just touch the drat glass already.

Especially since I will be using it to read a lot of comics, not having the glare would probably be refreshingly nice on the newer retina display. I'll probably get some hipster as gently caress Bookbook case or something just to make my wife fawn over it.

Thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I have trouble deciding between the iPad Pro types. Is there any difference except the 9.7 having 4K video recording (which I don't care for) and the wide color spectrum?