Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Digging PvP a lot more over the past few days. PS4 seems to have picked up again a bit recently which is good to see.

Also Toddler Play Time is a great title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Gammon posted:

Dont know how they did it - probably some chicanery involving coordinated confirmation - but I played against a match earlier when the other team had two Oscar Mike's. Thankfully one of them was garbage so we ended up winning.

Benedict's value is definitely as a lane pusher hol

[quote="Gammon" post="460643996"]
Dont know how they did it - probably some chicanery involving coordinated confirmation - but I played against a match earlier when the other team had two Oscar Mike's. Thankfully one of them was garbage so we ended up winning.

If someone hasn't beaten the prologue but joins a pvp match, they are forced into Oscar Mike even if someone already had him. That's why they were trash.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Finally got Heliophage done on Advanced, as a three man group. Even got gold! Only common/uncommon gear though, not even a rare. Was grouped with a friend and some random guy who was only CR6 but at least he held his own, even if he kept freelancing and running off to do his own thing.

As always, it was the third boss pair which was hardest, mainly because my friend and I were fighting the varelsi while the other dude was trying to solo Nix (despite us both using voice and map pings to try get him to join us) resulting in the map being flooded with reinforcements at a very inconvenient time. We went from 15 bonus lives to just 1 but Rendain turned out to be quite manageable on the frozen side island.

Now I just need to finish Saboteur. I think I would need a full team of ISICs for that.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Any pointers for playing Orendi? My gf picked up playing with me because she loves the character but showing up low in most of the post-match stats has been discouraging.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Any pointers for playing Orendi? My gf picked up playing with me because she loves the character but showing up low in most of the post-match stats has been discouraging.

Take anything that boosts damage--esp. of your AoE--or recharges one of your other powers, esp if it's an instant recharge. Use everything when it's on cooldown. Take the thing that makes nullify push so you can push people charging you back into your AoE. Always use your secondary fire. Get good at headshots. Take equipment that's cheaper due to having penalties to recoil or reload, since neither of those apply to you.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
When it comes to gear, some things are generically useful (HP, attack damage and speed, etc) while others are very specific to the character and their needs (Benedict needs reload speed for instance, but melee character don't give a poo poo about that but benefit from DR and potentially healing boost items).

Recoil reduction is also pretty good for almost anyone with an automatic weapon.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The big thing for her pillar for me is making it do damage over time. It's what really turns her into imo the best lane controller. At that point, I look for choke areas to shut down minions. I also dig her blind ability to get away from enemies or buy myself a few extra moments of damage while they figure stuff out. Everything else I pick is either for cooldowns to spam her stuff or her insta shield recharge.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I almost always have some kind of health regen on my loadouts if i can, except if i'm playing as an eldrid character. Even a little health regen means you don't have to go back to base or rely on a healer as often.

As a an aside/petty compliant. I hate people with "Master of" character titles because i can never tell what they are going to do. A majority of the time players that use character or faction specific tiles are most likely going to play as that character/faction. With the Master title people i don't know if i should

A.Be generous and give them the pick of their character, even if i was originally going to play as them since they obviously have way more experience with them than i do and will probably do a better job overall.

B. Just go ahead and pick that character anyway since of course the Master of Issic is going to pick Miko this game all of a sudden :psyduck:

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
The only Master of title I ever plan on using is Benedict. A lot of characters it is really easy to get Master on, all it takes is time to level because the lore challenges complete themselves. I have seen masters of Oscar Mike who could not play Oscar Mike,for instance. But a character with actually challenging lore? Like I would be worried at seeing a master of Thorn playing Thorn because she needs 20 air kills with a specific skill.

So when I get my master of Benedict title I am going to use it! 40/50 air kills now. Best I managed was 6 in one match. I also got my only triple kill so far on Benedict.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Man I was doing really lovely as El Dragon and then suddenly something clicked and now I'm murdering fuckers

get over here and take your beatings oscar mike you cloaky gently caress

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
How is the population (on pc)? I heard a few people complaining about time to queue after they bought the game.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, Chomp says it instantly kills minions. In the pve matches I've played as Kelvin I usually have to give minion robots a couple good punches before chomp will kill them. Am I misunderstanding how the skill works?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If they have an overshield you cannot crit or 1shot minions I believe. Otherwise I'm not sure

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anything that isn't the absolute lowest minion isn't a one hit kill and needs to have taken damage first. i don't know why it's written like it works on pretty much everything but the tool tips in the game are unpolished as hell.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Population on PC is loving awful. 850-1450 tops at peak times...

Also how do I unlock third skills in the helix thing for upgrades? For instance on Galilea i only have 2 choices and not 3 for most of the choices (And i'm seeing 'builds' that have a third middle option)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

Also how do I unlock third skills in the helix thing for upgrades? For instance on Galilea i only have 2 choices and not 3 for most of the choices (And i'm seeing 'builds' that have a third middle option)

You unlock them as you level characters. The last one unlocks at level 12 I want to say. Galilea gets some monstrous abilities as she levels but she got hit really, really hard by the nerf stick.

Unlike Alani, all hail the goddess of the waves, the unstoppable torrent, and the ceaseless current which can not be removed from lanes.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Barudak posted:

You unlock them as you level characters. The last one unlocks at level 12 I want to say. Galilea gets some monstrous abilities as she levels but she got hit really, really hard by the nerf stick.

Unlike Alani, all hail the goddess of the waves, the unstoppable torrent, and the ceaseless current which can not be removed from lanes.

Oh that's a shame. What are some good "strong" heroes to learn? I'm not worried about difficulty. I'm enjoying Oscar Mike quite a bit for lane pushing and burning down people in team fights.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Even with the nerf Galilea is still really really strong, you just have to play a bit smarter and you're not able to just wade into a group of enemies solo anymore.

Another good candidate is ISIC as he can do a little of everything. Rath is also a strong melee character, he's squishier than he seems though so you do have to be careful until you get to level 5 and then you can win almost any 1v1 with the knock-up into ultimate combo i'm sure you've seeen other Rath's do.

If you're more into healing than you can't go wrong with Miko as his single target healing is really good.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Nigulus Rex posted:

Oh that's a shame. What are some good "strong" heroes to learn? I'm not worried about difficulty. I'm enjoying Oscar Mike quite a bit for lane pushing and burning down people in team fights.

If you like Oscar Mike, Whiskey Tango is a good alternative. I'm a huge fan of ISIC once you get into Seige mode because you never have to leave it during fight encounters and Toby is a lot of fun trying to land shots through his shield. I've been honestly contemplating why all the characters feel particularly weak in this game, and I think it's just because you're not granted the large pools of health that enemies have; so damage dealt compared to taken seems like a loss.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do not listen to the above regarding Whiskey Tango. He is quite possibly the worst character in the game and the only way he becomes ok takes a mutation at level 6 or 7 which turns him into a poor mans Oscar Mike. That's right he is so bad his best skill makes him a worse version of another character.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Do not listen to the above regarding Whiskey Tango. He is quite possibly the worst character in the game and the only way he becomes ok takes a mutation at level 6 or 7 which turns him into a poor mans Oscar Mike. That's right he is so bad his best skill makes him a worse version of another character.

Really? I didn't hate him the four or five times I've chosen him, although there are definitely better characters - they just have wildly different play styles and aren't a good alternative to Oscar Mike.
Disclaimer: I did not use Whiskey in any PvP matches where I could see it being a complete nightmare to use him.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Whiskey's rifle is awful. Even if though it fires three round bursts, it's the only one that you can't hold fire down for. If you want to do multiple shots, it's multiple taps. But if you gently caress up the rhythm, your chain of shots ends and your gun can jam. Basically he is the most frustrating guy to shoot things with.

Oscar Mike is just a really good all round character - his aoe is powerful and works well on single target, has stealth, a non-trivial health pool, his rifle is full auto and can be scoped. I would actually rate him as one of the best characters in the game, there's not much he can't do.

Most heroes have particular strengths and weaknesses, some of which are best suited for PvP. Play any of them well and they will look strong, but played poorly they will all be dominated. Alani is so frustrating though because she is good at everything and someone who can play her well is a supreme dps, support, healer, laner and assassin all at once. She is a small, fast target and unless you gang up on her and pin her somewhere chances are good she will escape and probably wreck you at the same time.

It really depends on what you want to be good at. Whiskey is probably the only one I would never recommend to anyone for anything, but everyone has their uses. Oh, Reyna is also pretty hard to recommend as she does less damage/less utility than other supports, and her healing is single target and underwhelming, but her ultimate used right is a lifesaver and seems to have a very short cooldowns.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Stole this from the Giantbomb thread, updates announced during E3:

Atomicated posted:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/battleborn-marketplace-update/1512658

quote:

We have some exciting news to share with you all.
Tomorrow, we will begin rolling a new update to Battleborn that will expand the in-game Marketplace and introduces Battlenborn's new premium currency, Platinum! Platinum allows you to purchase brand new skins and taunts for your heroes. The first wave of cosmetic add-ons includes skins for all 26 heroes and taunts for Ghalt, Oscar Mike, Benedict, Shayne & Aurox, El Dragon, Whiskey Foxtrot, Kleese, and Alani, with more to come in future updates.

Battleborn's remaining 1,000 players probably not super thrilled.

Here come the add-ons. No mention of the next character.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I mean, Borderlands 2 had Cosmetic DLC for its characters so this isn't very surprising to me.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Bill NYSE posted:

Stole this from the Giantbomb thread, updates announced during E3:

Battleborn's remaining 1,000 players probably not super thrilled.

Was waiting on this to go on sale to pick it up. Saw this mention of a microtransaction shop coming in and immediately decided that I was done. Kinda sad as the game looks fun and different enough from its obvious Overwatch comparison. Apparently they told people they were doing this (which I missed), but it seems kinda like shooting yourself in the foot when you have a floundering player base and you introduce something like this that you're more than aware is going to push people away from the product.

sicarius fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 16, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sicarius posted:

Was waiting on this to go on sale to pick it up. Saw this mention of a microtransaction shop coming in and immediately decided that I was done. Kinda sad as the game looks fun and different enough from its obvious Overwatch comparison. Apparently they told people they were doing this (which I missed), but it seems kinda like shooting yourself in the foot when you have a floundering player base and you introduce something like this that you're more than aware is going to push people away from the product.

Why are people so put off by devs offering non-gameplay affecting DLC?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Probably something to do with the initial $70 price point

I mean, I don't begrudge them cosmetics-for-cash, but at the same time I'm a little weirded out about adding a cash shop to a full price triple-A title.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Honestly, everything would be worth the tedious in-game grind. Bringing in new content and placing it directly behind a new paywall is complete bullshit. I'm already exhausted of most of the roster; having new skins and taunts would entice me to play them again. They are only available, as far as I've seen, by purchasing the new currency format to buy them from the marketplace. They might have new things in loot crates but I haven't gotten anything.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't have anything to add to this thread except that I heard someone refer to this game as "Stillborn" and it made me nyuck nyuck

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
At the same time they made Alani grind-able in-game. I stopped playing after they introduced her thinking that they were going in that pay-to-play direction but now I may come back.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Teikanmi posted:

I don't have anything to add to this thread except that I heard someone refer to this game as "Stillborn" and it made me nyuck nyuck

What do you expect, the game was sent out to die with no marketing or hype of any kind, it just showed up and was crushed by the beast that is Overwatch.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Picked up Overwatch a couple weeks ago to play with some friends, and it definitely scratches a different shooty itch. A different kind of mania when the action gets going.

Battleborn is closer to my arpg itch, closer to the dream of what Too Human could have been... :smith:

The pvp is fun for me, but monster stomping is really what I want from this game the most, and having to balance everything against pvp slows so many things down. I'd love to have three mutations at every level for existing characters someday, but pvp balance must make that obnoxious.

The Borderlands team going full tilt on adding more story maps and monster variety would keep me subscribed for a long time.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2016

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Lblitzer posted:

ChickenWing posted:

Probably something to do with the initial $70 price point

This. If it gave you a method to unlock cosmetics through play as well, or had a lower price point, or something else. I think releasing against Overwatch was the deathknell for this game, really. You can get any of the cosmetics in Overwatch (except the few DIGITAL DELUXE things) but just playing the game. You don't even have to play well... just play.

I gave it a try at a friends house and would gladly cough up $30-40 for it if it stays active, but after the blowback from the first Steam Sale I don't expect that anytime soon. That's sad, because the cost to entry is definitely keeping potential players from the game. It's definitely different than Overwatch - it's far more SMNC, which I loved. I really wish I felt better about the game overall - I think the lukewarm reception, the immediate discount and then back up to full price, the introduction of a cash shop that's relatively pricey, and already flagging playercount on Steam is just... really a put off.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Lblitzer posted:

Because the items for said shop are going to cost development time. And because of how software projects are prioritized, items for the cash shop are very likely to always be prioritized over non-cash-shop items. In other words, we payed full-price for a game that promised additional content and development, and now they want to charge us more for that content and development.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

I don't know that anyone reads this thread or plays this game but me; but battleborn is having double credit weekend, releasing some free skins via Twitter, and having some dev games this weekend. Oh also the game is half off due to a publisher sale.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Let's play this gay dead game with people from our dead gay forum. PSN name is the same as my SA handle

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is this worth it at 50% of?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

malhavok posted:

Maybe? Perhaps you could read the thread or watch some gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

malhavok posted:

Game is fun, especially if you like the borderlands style of humour.

• Locked thread