Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arglebargle III posted:

I understand not wanting a drive through in a nice neighborhood. Cars are the bane of urban planning and strip malls follow in their wake, like the sea of mud churned up by a plague of cows falling from the sky.

I do not believe that there is any part of inhabited Kansas that does not bask in the glory of strip malls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Once you've got Starbucks franchises, there's no stopping the illness, I'm afraid.

gently caress Starbucks and their garbage-rear end expensive coffee.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
For the record, the Starbucks in question is located in a shopping center that is basically already a series of strip malls. :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JerryLee posted:

For the record, the Starbucks in question is located in a shopping center that is basically already a series of strip malls. :v:

Launch the nukes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JerryLee posted:

All its really doing is relocating across the street and adding a drive-thru.

Though there's a DriveThru Starbucks in LA that's basically just enough room for the Batistas, two people ordering inside, and like 4 people outside. It's a tiny thing geared almost entirely for cars.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Really anything that tries to get built or change in that section of JoCo always ends up being a hassle. That Starbucks is right outside of Mission Hills (a "city" where the average house hold income is 200,000) and if any sort of traffic or outside vehicles start coming through the area it raises all sorts of red flags. I live at the base of Mission Hills and I see cop cars straight up pull over vehicles with Missouri license plates and harass them until they leave -- I've also seen them straight up round up the homeless near that Starbucks and drive them across state lines.

I also had a brother in law who was flat out drunk but the police let him go home instead of getting a DUI since he had the right address on his drivers license. Strange and scary stuff.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

PT6A posted:

Once you've got Starbucks franchises, there's no stopping the illness, I'm afraid.

gently caress Starbucks and their garbage-rear end expensive coffee.

It's not about getting a new Starbucks, it was about allowing the existing Starbucks to move across the street.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arglebargle III posted:

I understand not wanting a drive through in a nice neighborhood. Cars are the bane of urban planning and strip malls follow in their wake, like the sea of mud churned up by a plague of cows falling from the sky.

But that place ain't a nice "neighborhood". Here's a google street view so you can look around there:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...6301606!6m1!1e1

It's a complex of strip malls, gas stations, and small ugly office and bank buildings. And surrounding it all is bland suburbia that you would only consider "nice" if you just moved here from war torn Syria or something.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I wish Trump would build a wall around Kansas

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

fishmech posted:

It's a complex of strip malls, gas stations, and small ugly office and bank buildings. And surrounding it all is bland suburbia that you would only consider "nice" if you just moved here from war torn Syria or something.

You just described literally all of Kansas (and basically all of the American flyover country) in this statement. You can point at any city in the state with more than 2000 people in it and the sentence holds true there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.209022,-98.2068358,3a,75y,4.43h,74.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqY3XkiGOX_CTqOM_PP9CWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Ripoff posted:

I agree with Fishmech. With not a hint of irony. :negative:

Seriously, gently caress Central PA.
Speaking as someone from PA I was going to say State College wasn't so bad, but then I remembered the Joe Paterno statue still exists. So yeah, burn it all down.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Presto posted:

Speaking as someone from PA I was going to say State College wasn't so bad, but then I remembered the Joe Paterno statue still exists. So yeah, burn it all down.

What? I thought they tore that poo poo down Saddam Hussein style a few days after the news broke. Did they loving put it back up?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kristov posted:

What? I thought they tore that poo poo down Saddam Hussein style a few days after the news broke. Did they loving put it back up?

According to the Wiki (:jerkbag:)they tore it down.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They stashed it in some library closet or something a few days after the Sandusky stuff first broke, dunno if it's still there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If that's the Starbucks in the Corinth area yeah they like their peace and quiet. I like that area but the people are a little resistant to change there for sure.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm willing to just squint and see the silver lining of Midwesterners actually favoring a walkable community.

Semi-related but I was gone from Austin for seven years and just moved back and there are bike lanes, including a few fully-detached/curbed lanes, simply everywhere now. Now I want DC to just start barring quiet cross-streets off to any traffic that doesn't have to park on that block, maybe will automatic dropping bollards like in Slovenia.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm willing to just squint and see the silver lining of Midwesterners actually favoring a walkable community.

Semi-related but I was gone from Austin for seven years and just moved back and there are bike lanes, including a few fully-detached/curbed lanes, simply everywhere now. Now I want DC to just start barring quiet cross-streets off to any traffic that doesn't have to park on that block, maybe will automatic dropping bollards like in Slovenia.

The walkable community of a giant parking lot and strip mall complex that you have to drive to because there are barely even sidewalks connecting it to anything else.

:v:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

effectual posted:

They stashed it in some library closet or something a few days after the Sandusky stuff first broke, dunno if it's still there.
Yeah, they hid it away. Instead of, you know, melting it into slag.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's funny because the walkability basically depends on which side of Mission Road you're on, and correlates pretty strongly with how henry_guillotine.gif the area is. On the western side, which is the relatively lower class area (still all comfortable white middle class, don't get me wrong) you have sidewalks on most of the residential streets. There's also sidewalks up and down Mission Road itself.

Go east from Prairie Village and you get right up into the hills where you have much fancier homes, and few if any sidewalks.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

It's funny because the walkability basically depends on which side of Mission Road you're on, and correlates pretty strongly with how henry_guillotine.gif the area is. On the western side, which is the relatively lower class area (still all comfortable white middle class, don't get me wrong) you have sidewalks on most of the residential streets. There's also sidewalks up and down Mission Road itself.

Go east from Prairie Village and you get right up into the hills where you have much fancier homes, and few if any sidewalks.

Yeah, for those not in the know that area east of Prairie Village is called Mission Hills, which, according to Wikipedia, is the 3rd wealthiest municipality in the country. How that ended up being in Kansas of all places is anyone's guess, but there it is!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JerryLee posted:

Kinda like Wichita's walkability.

Are you in "Bill Warren's Old Town?" Then yes, it's walkable, otherwise :lol:

I do wonder if they ever managed to make their Water Walk, like they've been trying to do for at least 10 years, despite the fact that there's nothing else around that would support that kind of tourist area.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, for those not in the know that area east of Prairie Village is called Mission Hills, which, according to Wikipedia, is the 3rd wealthiest municipality in the country. How that ended up being in Kansas of all places is anyone's guess, but there it is!

Kansas City has a shocking number of fairly major corporate headquarters there considering the population/size compared to other major metros (off the top of my head, Sprint, H&R Block, Honeywell, Garmin, Hostess pre-bankrupcy/buyout among others keeps headquarters there). All those CEOs have to live somewhere, may as well have a quantum rich rear end in a top hat singularity somewhere.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That area on both sides of the state line is pretty loving ridiculous as far as money goes.

Even if there are sidewalks I don't think walkability is much of a factor anywhere on the Kansas side of the state line unless you live in old downtown Overland Park or something.

fishmech posted:

And surrounding it all is bland suburbia that you would only consider "nice" if you just moved here from war torn Syria or something.

Dude, they loving love their subdivisions full of the same houses that are all one of 4 colors. Keeping out "those types" and maintaining their property values while trying to have slightly better things than their neighbors are what their lives revolve around.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathSandwich posted:

Kansas City has a shocking number of fairly major corporate headquarters there considering the population/size compared to other major metros (off the top of my head, Sprint, H&R Block, Honeywell, Garmin, Hostess pre-bankrupcy/buyout among others keeps headquarters there). All those CEOs have to live somewhere, may as well have a quantum rich rear end in a top hat singularity somewhere.
Does that have anything to do with the Brownback tax policies, or have they been there for years?

I'm curious how this works, where you lower corporate taxes so that corporations will headquarter in your state. Delaware isn't doing well, is it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Does that have anything to do with the Brownback tax policies, or have they been there for years?

I'm curious how this works, where you lower corporate taxes so that corporations will headquarter in your state. Delaware isn't doing well, is it?

No they're definitely been there for a while, I don't think any major company has actually moved work into Kansas because of the tax breaks, or period really.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Halloween Jack posted:

This is from before Brownback. Kansas City has some of the highest concentration of Engineers and engineering firms per capita in the country: http://ingrams.com/archive/Nov_2011/ImagesandArticles/IndustryOutlook/IO2.html

Edit: Alternate source: http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/reports/2006/8/metropolitanpolicy-vey/20060831_kansasassessment.pdf

quote:

Key Findings:
• Kansas City’s economy is characterized by a concentration of knowledgeintensive
occupations, such as management, engineering, and marketing.
• These occupational concentrations reflect the presence of a set of high-end
business services functions, possibly supporting local and regional business
headquarters.
• Kansas City is also an important logistics center, as indicated by its high
concentration of transportation occupations

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 29, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I seem to remember being told at one point when I lived in Missouri that Kansas City used to be a pretty major transit hub back when most of the shipping was being done by train, so that might have something to do with it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, I might take a plane; I might take a train
But if I have to walk, I'm going just the same
I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City here I come
They got some crazy little [politicians] there and I'm gonna get me one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wanderer posted:

I seem to remember being told at one point when I lived in Missouri that Kansas City used to be a pretty major transit hub back when most of the shipping was being done by train, so that might have something to do with it.

I can't speak for KC, but Wichita was a major cattle stop. Then they doubled down on being "The Air Capitol," I read an article once that contained a massive list of all the aircraft companies that went out of business right before WWII broke out. Of course they still want to be the Air Capitol, but anyone who's been there lately can see how putting all their eggs in one basket is a bad idea. It's getting to Midwest Detroit, I can't imagine how bad it is these days with Brownback's garbage.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wanderer posted:

Yes, this is because of the cattle trade that used to run from the South and West into Kansas City. From there it would make it's way into the rest of the Country. Kansas City isn't nearly as important as it used to think it was, and many major companies have their headquarters there from back when KC was a place to be.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

On the flipside it's become quite the startup tech area.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-grill/kansas-citys-downtown-bec_b_4192653.html

fknlo posted:

Dude, they loving love their subdivisions full of the same houses that are all one of 4 colors. Keeping out "those types" and maintaining their property values while trying to have slightly better things than their neighbors are what their lives revolve around.

Whatever keeps Missouri trash out is p cool.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

As if we don't have the exact same poo poo on the Missouri side.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wanderer posted:

Most really long distance stuff is still done by rail, usually with trucks moving it on either end. But the big reason Kansas City was important for that is that it was a point where a lot of different rail companies had a terminus, and there was plenty to be done in transferring between them. These days, most of those have merged into other companies, and there's simply a whole lot less that needs to be transferred around in KC.

St Louis was similarly an important transfer point int he past that got more or less obsoleted. Both those cities now mostly see stuff just passing through.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Kansas City is a startup hub, says Kansas City booster. There's one of these articles for every random city out there, I saw one about Des Moines recently.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't speak for KC, but Wichita was a major cattle stop. Then they doubled down on being "The Air Capitol," I read an article once that contained a massive list of all the aircraft companies that went out of business right before WWII broke out. Of course they still want to be the Air Capitol, but anyone who's been there lately can see how putting all their eggs in one basket is a bad idea. It's getting to Midwest Detroit, I can't imagine how bad it is these days with Brownback's garbage.
Wichita is not even in the same magnitude of economic dire straits as Detroit, you have no idea what you are actually talking about

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gail Wynand posted:

Kansas City is a startup hub, says Kansas City booster. There's one of these articles for every random city out there, I saw one about Des Moines recently.

Yeah I heard that too. Lincoln as well. Silicon Prairie is what they're calling it. No idea if true or not.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon-prairie-great-plains-midwest-startup-tech-companies-entrepreneurs/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Yeah I heard that too. Lincoln as well. Silicon Prairie is what they're calling it. No idea if true or not.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon-prairie-great-plains-midwest-startup-tech-companies-entrepreneurs/

Places that actually have a major startup environment besides the normal level you'd expect to see with any largish population center and a big university, they don't feel the need to call themselves the "silicon whatever". They earn their own name or don't even need one - New York City and the surrounding area is full of startups, tech and otherwise, but you don't see it getting a special name.

Really, given how the cities mentioned tend to be major regional centers for other industry and education, as far as that goes, it 'd be more surprising if they didn't have a bunch of startups around.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

fishmech posted:

Places that actually have a major startup environment besides the normal level you'd expect to see with any largish population center and a big university, they don't feel the need to call themselves the "silicon whatever". They earn their own name or don't even need one - New York City and the surrounding area is full of startups, tech and otherwise, but you don't see it getting a special name.
Never heard of Silicon Alley?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

The Silicon stuff cracks me up. There's an entire Wikipedia article, with some really funny ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_with_%22Silicon%22_names#United_States
Silicon Sandbar might be my favorite, for pure dumbness, but it looks like you midwesterners are fighting Dallas and Chicago for your prairie nickname. GL with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gail Wynand posted:

Which one are you talking about? I've heard that name used for Atlanta, Chicago, and Phoenix.

• Locked thread