Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Alternatively, I use a DIY pressure bleeder made by screwing a quick disconnect onto the end of a garden sprayer hose and then the male disconnect into a junkyard brake/clutch cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
The time has come to pull the trigger on my new summer car. Having never driven a Miata, I drove one last week back-to-back with the BRZ. I liked the BRZ, but then I drove the Miata and forgot about the BRZ almost entirely. I wanted to shout to other drivers at stop lights and demand to know why everybody wasn't driving a Miata. Best manual gearbox I've ever operated.

And now to flush any respect I could have had, I'm leaning hard toward the Abarth 124. I haven't driven it yet, because they're not hitting dealers for another month, but I'm holding off on the decision until I do. I'm sorry, but that 124 is beautiful and the obnoxious brappy exhaust on the Abarth is just so satisfying.

So it's a 2-way tie between the ND Club and the loving 124 Spider Elaborizione Abarth. The Abarth wins on looks and a tiny little turbo, but the ND's got that gearbox. The Abarth also comes with a black hood and trunk lid, and has scorpion badges EVERYWHERE. And hey man, let's paint those side mirrors red!

HAVE NONE OF YOU FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE 124?

Also are the Brembos worth it?

Computer Opponent fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd hold out to drive one for sure. You might not like the extra weight (that would be my top complaint). I wasn't impressed with how they looked in person, and I want to say that this thread in particular is like 80% ND, 20% 124. I'm kind of surprised that the ND left such a good impression on you after the BRZ.

As for the Brembos? Not necessary. They look cool, sure, but that's about it. You could probably get a Club BBS/Brembo for 30k or so if they've been sitting on the lot. I paid sticker for mine since I'm a sucker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah the cheap one for 40 bucks is all you need. I've had mine for about ten years now I think. Just don't put it on backwards or you'll get a face full of brake fluid ask me how I know.

I lent mine to my dad when he did his brakes and he managed to destroy it. Been too lazy to pick up a replacement and just used a water bottle and some hose the last time.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
The BRZ didn't grab me like I thought it would. I didn't like how the transmission doesn't row up and down all the way up to 6th. I don't know if I was imagining it or not, but 4th gear synchros back to 3rd, rather than 5th. For the purposes of spirited driving, it makes sense, but it was still a bother to have to find 5th. It's the sort of thing that would annoy me more often than help. I feel like the BRZ would be a better track car than daily driver/cruiser. The Miata was just way more fun.

A huge part of it may be that I'm looking for a summer car, and sitting really low in a car with a low roof made me feel like I was looking out of a slot at the outside world. So it may be that I was leaning toward a convertible all along and didn't realize it.

As for the weight penalty on the Fiat, I'm comfortable with the fact that I myself am the biggest weight penalty for whatever I get, so I can't hold it against the car.

edit: I should note that the BRZ I drove was a 2014 with 30k on it, so maybe it had synchro damage? Also, I apologize if I'm using the word "synchro" wrong.

Computer Opponent fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Iirc the 124 has the NC gearbox so it should still be pretty drat solid.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
The NC gearbox, especially with some of the updates they did later on, is not a bad gearbox whatsoever.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Abarth looks better, fight me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Computer Opponent posted:

The BRZ didn't grab me like I thought it would. I didn't like how the transmission doesn't row up and down all the way up to 6th. I don't know if I was imagining it or not, but 4th gear synchros back to 3rd, rather than 5th. For the purposes of spirited driving, it makes sense, but it was still a bother to have to find 5th. It's the sort of thing that would annoy me more often than help. I feel like the BRZ would be a better track car than daily driver/cruiser. The Miata was just way more fun.

A huge part of it may be that I'm looking for a summer car, and sitting really low in a car with a low roof made me feel like I was looking out of a slot at the outside world. So it may be that I was leaning toward a convertible all along and didn't realize it.

As for the weight penalty on the Fiat, I'm comfortable with the fact that I myself am the biggest weight penalty for whatever I get, so I can't hold it against the car.

edit: I should note that the BRZ I drove was a 2014 with 30k on it, so maybe it had synchro damage? Also, I apologize if I'm using the word "synchro" wrong.

I would recommend going out and finding another BRZ to try. Maybe it did have some transmission damage. Won't know until you try another?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Fiata is uggo, get the Miata.

I really like the BRZ but I agree that it has too much roof.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I went from an FR-S to a five speed NC without an LSD and very much prefer the NC. I think I'd prefer the ND over a FR-S/BRZ as well. A Miata is just more fun to drive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I went from an FR-S to a five speed NC without an LSD and very much prefer the NC. I think I'd prefer the ND over a FR-S/BRZ as well. A Miata is just more fun to drive.

I've never driven a Miata but still didn't like the FR-S I test drove when they were coming out. The engine is just so meh.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fknlo posted:

I've never driven a Miata but still didn't like the FR-S I test drove when they were coming out. The engine is just so meh.

I went from an automatic RX-8 to the FR-S (learned to drive a manual in this car by buying it and driving it home) so it was a vast improvement but after only a year of ownership and a couple of mods to fix its shortcomings (a tune and exhaust) I gave up. Technically I traded it for a Fiesta ST (a really awesome car) but I got the Miata as a second car 5 months later. Much more fun than the FR-S. I eventually test drove a manual RX-8 and still preferred the Miata.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I replaced both rear calipers a few months ago and managed to gently caress up the parking brake mechanism in each one. Stupid design.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Farewell, sweet upper lower radiator hose...

It held up a mere 19 years (assuming it's the original hose, which I suspect it is). I was sitting a warm summer day fiddling with the idle settings on my recently installed megasquirt, and I guess I had the "fan is go" temperature set a couple degrees too high for this old hose. I actually ordered a set of silicone hoses just a couple days ago, but they're not here yet and I didn't have time to wait for that. Since MX-5 parts (that aren't shared with some other more common car) are never found in stock anywhere here in Swedenland, I had to improvise a bit.
So, I went to the local cheap auto-parts store here, Biltema. The "universal" ones (flexible hose with a steel spiral) were of the wrong lengths, so I ended up with a radiator hose for some kind of Volvo. Not 100% sure, but I think it's the lower hose for an 850 / V70:

It's the right diameter, and has a bendy bit that seemed like it could work (that bend is cleverly hidden pointing down towards the fuel door). And indeed, after cutting it down to size it fit better than I had any reason to expect!

One end of it is 1-2mm too big, but the hose clamp can deal with it. Car back on road, working fine with nothing leaking, and I dropped the cooling fan temperature a couple degrees for good measure. Also, the stuff left over from the Volvo hose would work for either one of the two others on my MX-5, should it come to that.

So, in short, if your radiator hoses explode, you can carve replacements out of an old Volvo.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Weird quick roadrace related question - does anyone do a Dynalite rear caliper solution for NA/NB? I'm aware of the FM and V8R Powerlite setups, but the Powerlite calipers have terrible pad selection, and for bonus points it would be nice to have the same pads front and rear.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So I recently picked up a miata as a fun second car. '95 base model(no power options) with '96 high compression motor, ~175k on the car ~75k on the motor, flyin miata stage 2.5 suspension package, flyin miata frame rail reenforcement, 6ul wheels, OBX LSD, hardtop with spec miata mounts, soft top removed and some other stuff I am probably forgetting. All those little changes makes it way more fun than the '91 miata I had years ago, granted it had trashed suspension and a bunch of PO fuckery.

The only thing I know I need to change is the steering wheel. I had a momo in my old miata that made it way more comfortable to drive as I just barely fit in a miata. My big question is what size wheel and which hub adapter? I know I want a Momo Monte Carlo, but I can't remember if my old wheel was 350mm or 320mm. What size do most people run? I used to have a Daikei hub adapter which was nice, but is over twice the price as a basic Momo adapter. I have seen that the Momo needs some modification to allow the horn to work(not too worried about this) and that the Daikei hub adaptor comes with the thing to make the airbag light go away, but I know I can buy/build something to do the same. Does the collapsing feature in case of an accident something to care about?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey leica, how many nice things do you have to say about the Momo hub?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be changing tires and oil later this week and wanted to do the other fluids as I haven't done them since buying the car due to laziness. Coolant is clear but the service manual doesn't mention anything else. How much PS, brake and clutch fluids will I need for an NB? Any specific requirements for them?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Hey leica, how many nice things do you have to say about the Momo hub?

It was a pain in the dick to install and the horn doesn't work now, but hey 30 bux :shrug:

No way I'd ever pay retail for one.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

It was a pain in the dick to install and the horn doesn't work now, but hey 30 bux :shrug:

No way I'd ever pay retail for one.

Huh, maybe I will just suck it up and pay for a Daikei one. I remember installing the one on my old miata being super easy and everything just worked. What size wheel are you using?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Standard size, what is it 375? Just a tad smaller than stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Stock is 360mm.

I have a 350mm, and it's fine. It's flat, but I'm not actively looking to replace it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey, so my airbag light started blinking at me tonight on the drive home in my '05. It wasn't regular, but was persistent through the ~30 minute drive. I think it was three slow-ish blinks, and then a random period of time (seconds, minutes) before another appearance. There are apparently some airbag blink codes (http://wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Airbag+Blink+Codes), but for my car it looks like the numbers don't correspond to actual blinks like in earlier years; there certainly can't be 91 sequential blinks or anything like that to try to communicate a code. The CEL isn't on. Any advice?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Negromancer posted:

Huh, maybe I will just suck it up and pay for a Daikei one. I remember installing the one on my old miata being super easy and everything just worked. What size wheel are you using?

I used the NRG short hub and it went on really well, not sure how the prices compare.

Edit: I just realized my car doesn't have an airbag so that simplified things.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ok, update: I drove to work this morning and didn't see any airbag lights. Then on my ride home again they reappeared. While it's difficult to watch for let alone count that blinking light, it was definitely not appearing regularly. At one point it blinked 7 times, then was off for a few minutes. Then it blinked like 5 times, then 4 a little while after that, then 6, 7, 7, etc. Random time intervals between blinks, and random blinks; at one point I think it stopped entirely and the last half of the ride home the airbag light did not appear. Does this make sense to anyone?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm not sure how it's connected or anything but loose wire or possible short? Could explain the inconsistency.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mariooncrack posted:

I'm not sure how it's connected or anything but loose wire or possible short? Could explain the inconsistency.

By chance did you adjust the drivers seat position between trips? I have a shorter friend who had a similar problem with his NC. He pushes the seat all the way back when he gets out and moves it forward when he gets in. One side of the seat track wasn't always fully locking when he moved it - causing the blinky airbag light.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nope, I'm the only one who drives my Miata so I have the seat and everything else set the way I like it and never re-adjust anything. It could be a fuse I suppose, which I could check out eventually, but for almost two weeks straight I'm busy with work so I won't really have time until next weekend. I don't think it's an obvious problem that I'll be able to solve, so I'll probably have to get professional help; I need to bring in the car to a shop anyway, at the very least for an alignment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That's old enough that I'd suspect the clock spring could be causing an issue. Maybe try turning the wheel slowly from lock to lock and see if that causes the light to flash?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Geoj posted:

That's old enough that I'd suspect the clock spring could be causing an issue. Maybe try turning the wheel slowly from lock to lock and see if that causes the light to flash?

I'll try this, but of course the light did not activate at all today.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hey Miata guys, have a couple shots from last outing to Blackhawk Farms.

Our track bitch. NC built for SCCA T4, so basically stock other than Hoosiers, a CAI and a spec suspension package. Good learning car though - my dad and I figured we should drop back to basics of something where we can sort out driver issues from car issues, and additionally keep the car *running*. SCCA E Production, which we had built to before, is not a low maintenance class.

Someone else's car - Advance Autosport in Beloit actually did the swap for them. It's basically a Honda J32 out of an Acura TL into a Spec Miata, and apparently the swap kit uses the Miata trans and loses weight compared to the BP. The Spec Miata brakes were *not* happy about the extra power though; the rotors were a visual example of what "coning" means.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Well, this appeared to be fixed for a while. After a heavy downpour last night about 1" of water made it in. Pretty drat close to just drilling a hole in the floorboard.

:smith: x100

poxin fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

poxin posted:

Well, this appeared to be fixed for a while. After a heavy downpour last night about 1" of water made it in. Pretty drat close to just drilling a hole in the floorboard.

:stare:

So this is probably similar to what I'm dealing with, although I haven't had to deal with that much water. But when it rains, sometimes, it pools in the passenger footwell and under that seat. There's never any water dripping from the roof and there doesn't appear to be any trace along the sides. Do you have any idea where yours is coming from?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

poxin posted:

:stare:

So this is probably similar to what I'm dealing with, although I haven't had to deal with that much water. But when it rains, sometimes, it pools in the passenger footwell and under that seat. There's never any water dripping from the roof and there doesn't appear to be any trace along the sides. Do you have any idea where yours is coming from?

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Look underneath the car around the footwells. There should be a rubber plug or grommet that you can pop out to let the water drain. I've done this on my '90 because I left it parked in the rain before.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5664813828.html

What do you guys think of pricing on this? Fair at 16?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

blk posted:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5664813828.html

What do you guys think of pricing on this? Fair at 16?

I got mine for that, and mine included a bunch of good mods, but was at 31k on the odometer. (I also flew halfway across the country and drove it back)

That being said, if you are cool with that color combo, it's an NC2 PRHT with the appearance package and sports package, so it's already the best base NC miata to start from if your goal is a fun livable daily driver / passable autox car.

Get a smarttop module, the FM suspension kit, new wheels to taste (if you care) and then leave it alone. I'm still so happy with mine as a daily driver a year later.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 3, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GEMorris posted:

I got mine for that, and mine included a bunch of good mods, but was at 31k on the odometer. (I also flew halfway across the country and drove it back)

That being said, if you are cool with that color combo, it's an NC2 PRHT with the appearance package and sports package, so it's already the best base NC miata to start from if your goal is a fun livable daily driver / passable autox car.

Get a smarttop module, the FM suspension kit, new wheels to taste (if you care) and then leave it alone. I'm still so happy with mine as a daily driver a year later.

Yeah, the color is the one thing I don't like about it - it'd be better if the seats were black. There were 11 colors that year and the only two I didn't like were the 2 dark reds and yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I personally like the Copper Red vs the True Red. :shoban: Also, the few years they offered yellow on the NC are proper sharp. I'm not a fan of the NA or NB yellows, but the NC looks good.

For the NCs, in no particular order, I like:
- Nordic Green (reminiscent of Montego Blue Mica from the NAs)
- Competition Yellow
- Sparkling Black Mica (I only own black cars)
- Dolphin Gray Mica

That car seems to be in decent order. If you can snag it for 16k or lower, I'd be happy with it.