Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cheerfullydrab posted:

Man, Gotland, Cyprus, and Malta start their own "island EU". Icelandic membership is hotly debated.

I still maintain that it has to be called the Imperium of Mann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I still maintain that it has to be called the Imperium of Mann.

Blessed is the island too small for doubt

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Politically loaded aerial photos. :vuvu:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aerial-photos-unequal-scenes_us_57712986e4b017b379f66f6b

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Check some Brazilian capitals on Google Earth and try to get through 5 minutes without spotting this kind of stuff. It's incredibly easy to find favelas right next to high-class residential zones.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

Speaking as a Jew, the stuff I know about Mormonism makes me think it more closely resembles Second Temple Judaism than any Christian religion.

it's christianity with some guy's fanfiction about ancient aliens thrown in

they call their churches 'temples' but other than that it's pretty standard evangelical protestant stuff minus the parts about aliens

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 29, 2016

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

icantfindaname posted:

it's christianity with some guy's fanfiction about ancient aliens thrown in

they call their churches 'temples' but other than that it's pretty standard evangelical protestant stuff minus the parts about aliens

They're non-trinitarian though, which is why, at least on theological grounds, they get called non-Christian.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Numerical Anxiety posted:

They're non-trinitarian though, which is why, at least on theological grounds, they get called non-Christian.

There's tons of outright non-trinitarian Christians though. Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Scientists, a bunch of those indistinguishable sects that like to call themselves "the whatever church of god" or "church of god something". And there's lots more that are pretty weak on really respecting trinitarianism in practice.

That's the thing with a religion with like 2 billion people - every difference you can think of has millions of people behind it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We politely include mormons as Christians the same way that contemporary evangelicals include Jews (but exclude Muslims) when they talk about Abrahmic faiths or Mughal Emperors would include Hinduism as a Sharia-sanctioned "religion of the book".

Religion is a glass we use to put in culture. It confines the shape and absolutely contributes to peripheral factors like smell and mouth feel. Also, those finer points only matter if you are super rich.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cool and good posted:

That's what "Latter-day Saints" is or am I missing something?

That's why the out "church of Jesus Christ.." Right in the front of their title.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

fishmech posted:

There's tons of outright non-trinitarian Christians though. Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Scientists, a bunch of those indistinguishable sects that like to call themselves "the whatever church of god" or "church of god something". And there's lots more that are pretty weak on really respecting trinitarianism in practice.

That's the thing with a religion with like 2 billion people - every difference you can think of has millions of people behind it.

"Tons," if you restrict yourself to the US and count only from the last 150 years. Otherwise, you have a tiny minority who is notable mostly for being odd.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As an atheist, I told my believing protestant girlfriend (now wife) on our second date that if she wants to believe in God, she had better learn Latin. Otherwise, her god is sitting in heaven going "Que? Cognitas Latinum ne?".

I mean, I don't believe in god and it's been a good 20 years since I took Latin, but I'll be damned if my wife, who believes in god, believes in the wrong god (which I don't believe in), so I want to ensure that when she communes with her god (that she believes in and I don't) it is very important that I ensure she worships her god in the right manner.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Source your quotes.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

"Tons," if you restrict yourself to the US and count only from the last 150 years. Otherwise, you have a tiny minority who is notable mostly for being odd.

There have been plenty of breakaway non-trinitarian Christians sects throughout history, like the Arians, the trinitarians just got noticeably worse at purging them in the last 150 years.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

As an atheist, I told my believing protestant girlfriend (now wife) on our second date that if she wants to believe in God, she had better learn Latin. Otherwise, her god is sitting in heaven going "Que? Cognitas Latinum ne?".

I mean, I don't believe in god and it's been a good 20 years since I took Latin, but I'll be damned if my wife, who believes in god, believes in the wrong god (which I don't believe in), so I want to ensure that when she communes with her god (that she believes in and I don't) it is very important that I ensure she worships her god in the right manner.

Should she also learn Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew to cover all bases of just Christianity?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Vorpal Cat posted:

There have been plenty of breakaway non-trinitarian Christians sects throughout history, like the Arians, the trinitarians just got noticeably worse at purging them in the last 150 years.

The trinitarian definition was a response to the Arian crisis, the Arians weren't a breakaway group. That happens in the fourth century, but takes a while longer to resolve itself. Between early middle ages and the nineteenth century, you have maybe the followers of Swedenborg and who else?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The trinitarian definition was a response to the Arian crisis, the Arians weren't a breakaway group. That happens in the fourth century, but takes a while longer to resolve itself. Between early middle ages and the nineteenth century, you have maybe the followers of Swedenborg and who else?

Unitarians and Socinians, too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Maxwells Demon posted:

Should she also learn Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew to cover all bases of just Christianity?

Of course not!

Are you some kind of weird rear end heretic?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

One of the major points that attracted people to Protestantism was that it allowed holy scripture to be translated in local vernacular, so Protestants definitely believed that it didn't matter what language you addressed God in. It was the Catholic Church that insisted on Latin until well into the 20th century.

Also, if you want to be pedantic with the Latin, at least get it right (I think your phrase should be "Quod? Non cognosci linguam Latinam?")

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Maxwells Demon posted:

My Year 8 Welsh teacher, on being asked "Sir, why are we learning Welsh?", declared "Welsh is the language of Heaven, boyo!", so add that to the list.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

I've never been a believer but atheism is looking more morally indefensible by the day

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Reminds me of this photo of the Indian-Bhutanese border

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is that one of those micro-enclaves?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

the jizz taxi posted:

One of the major points that attracted people to Protestantism was that it allowed holy scripture to be translated in local vernacular, so Protestants definitely believed that it didn't matter what language you addressed God in. It was the Catholic Church that insisted on Latin until well into the 20th century.

Also, if you want to be pedantic with the Latin, at least get it right (I think your phrase should be "Quod? Non cognosci linguam Latinam?")

Does God accept Vulgar Latin?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Most people talking about current religions do consider it relevant to talk about huge countries and things that are going on now, instead of what counted as a Christian when no one could travel faster than 35 miles per hour.

Whatever sect you think is the best isn't the true christianity, if there can even be such a thing.

Ras Het posted:

Does God accept Vulgar Latin?

Nah, only polite Latin. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I dunno, I imagine God has a pretty crude sense of humour. He made us, after all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I dunno, I imagine God has a pretty crude sense of humour. He made fishmech, after all.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I dunno, I imagine God has a pretty crude sense of humour. He made us, after all.

Maybe you.

I evolved from a emergent feature of carbon chemistry

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Baron Porkface posted:

Is that one of those micro-enclaves?

India and Bhutan have a very clear border with no enclaves. You're thinking of India and Bangladesh, which had a horribly chaotic border with hundreds of enclaves, sub-enclaves, and, in at least one epic case, part of India inside part of Bangladesh inside part of India inside Bangladesh. However, a very recent agreement (process began last July) fixed the problem, and the border was simplified, de-enclaving all the land.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

the jizz taxi posted:

I know, isn't it sad? All those people talking to their God in a language he doesn't speak.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

fishmech posted:

Whatever sect you think is the best isn't the true christianity, if there can even be such a thing.

So is Islam part of Christianity as well? Why (not)?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Could God create a language so complex not even He could speak it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cebrail posted:

So is Islam part of Christianity as well? Why (not)?

They don't consider themselves Christians, so they aren't Christians.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

US/Mexican border:

The US is on the left

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But Christians are Muslims. Just bad Muslims because they are working with a corrupted revelation. For the same reason, Jews are Muslims but Jews are explicitly not Christians. Mormons, however, aren't Muslims because Joseph Smith claims revelation after Mohammed.

Christians, Jews, Muslims and Mormons are all Baha'i.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Theres has many religions has religious people exist. They all pick whatever they like from religion and ignore what they dont like or need effort.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DrSunshine posted:

Could God create a language so complex not even He could speak it?

Depends on if you consider Finnish the devil's work.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Depends on if you consider Finnish the devil's work.

Helsinki

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

It's such a shame for them that any chance to annex Inner Mongolia from China is dead and buryat.

Maybe they should khalkha it quits.

Keep kalmyk and carry on.

the truth yurts

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

That's why the out "church of Jesus Christ.." Right in the front of their title.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Or, ya know, in Detroit: