Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Although that does have some merit the problem is that vanilla 3/5 is not very aggressive in a what would need to be aggressive deck.

For standard a 4/4 flyer for 3 with a very relevant ability isn't what I would call terrible. It however does rely on a certain deck archetype to be good. The last standard showed that it wasn't even close to good so it would need more support cards to show up.

It's not a flyer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

quote:

Only if you can draft a deck with 12+ Zombies...

They weren't exactly a high pick in limited so far, and getting recursion on them is pretty strong.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If they print even a half decent one drop zombie and/or a better Lord than Risen Executioner, G&G are going to be very good in this Standard.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it does have real upsides over Goyf. The body is probably bigger and it's in the correct color.

Eh, ramping and then saving a mana doesn't seem great in any existing deck and its transformed body isn't anything special. The spells are already maximized for efficiency and any deck solely relying on spells (storm or the extra turns deck for instance) can't depend on any creatures sticking around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What are they playing this over?

Probably something on the top end of the curve, it provides immediate value in a topdeck war and it can come out for cheaper than the other main contenders can. Dodging Bolt and Decay is good too. It's probably not as good as Cleetus, but I wouldn't overlook it either.

E: the real reason you'd play it is for the synergy with Liliana and the utter beating it would be to drop this when they + in the mirror. Heck, why not sideboard this for the mirror?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 29, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're sure about this? Bloodhall Priest looks like it'd fit in really, really well with Jund's gameplan.

I assume you mean modern Jund. The effect is really good, having madness is actually synergistic with Lili sometimes. It would be a flex card, you might run it in place of Grim Lavamancer sometimes as an easy way to ping for 2. The issue is hellbent isn't guaranteed. Jund holds up cards a reasonable amount of time to respond to threats. This kind of card really wants to be in an uber aggressive deck. This is meant more for standard BR vamps where you play the 1 drop 2/1 that gives all vamps madness, then a the 1cmc menace dude that you can sack discard draw, etc.

asylum visitor
falkenrath gorger
heir of flakenrath
insolent neonate
oliva's bloodsworn
olivia, mobilized for war
ravenous bloodseeker

aggressive deck that has a low curve and enough enablers for madness so you can easily get hellbent and stay hellbent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I would argue a 3/4 with Prowess is a better body than Goyf in those decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

It's not a flyer...

Well gently caress, its garbo then.

It should be a rule that you can't print vampires that can't fly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Well gently caress, its garbo then.

On first glance, I assumed it had flying as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably something on the top end of the curve, it provides immediate value in a topdeck war and it can come out for cheaper than the other main contenders can. Dodging Bolt and Decay is good too. It's probably not as good as Cleetus, but I wouldn't overlook it either.

E: the real reason you'd play it is for the synergy with Liliana and the utter beating it would be to drop this when they + in the mirror.

You want to play this in MODERN?... Christ. 2 damage on attack or enter isn't even that great. If you want a 4/4 just play Dark Dwellers.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sickening posted:

For standard a 4/4 flyer for 3 with a very relevant ability isn't what I would call terrible. It however does rely on a certain deck archetype to be good. The last standard showed that it wasn't even close to good so it would need more support cards to show up.

It's not a flier.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Sure, but Goyf provides more immediate value as it doesn't have to spend at least a turn as a 1/1.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've been playing standard RB madness cause I had to scratch that aggro itch. I cut all the 3 drops. Maximum speed is the only shot the deck has in an extremely hostile meta.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It can't be a flier because then it'd be a playable non-white 4-drop.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

whydirt posted:

It can't be a flier because then it'd be a playable non-white 4-drop.

Even as a flyer it would be pretty bad if you ask me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Even as a flyer it would be pretty bad if you ask me.

What are Jund's worst match ups in Modern currently?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

If I'm casting 2 spells a turn every single turn, I don't care if I have goyf or a 3/4 prowess because I'm very far ahead either way.

If I'm not casting 2 spells a turn, then goyf is better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

New Lili PW art?

from today's story

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am basically holding back all opinions of the set as a whole based on if lily is going to be a good card or not. If liliana is garbo the set is garbo.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

I am basically holding back all opinions of the set as a whole based on if lily is going to be a good card or not. If liliana is garbo the set is garbo.

Would you say she is your...last hope?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

What are Jund's worst match ups in Modern currently?

Tron/Eldrazi/Dredge/Company

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Man, they're really on a "gently caress tribal" kick aren't they? You're not allowed to have any fun with Nameless Inversion at all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

New Lili PW art?

from today's story

Oh, neat. It's nice to see them clothe her, but I'm sure grogs will complain it's due to PC reasons etc etc. Guess we can be glad this isn't Argyle's design for once.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Good blue zombies for Commander: Undead Alchemist; Forgotten Creation; Diregraf Captain; Grimgrin, Corpse-Born; Havengul Lich; Jhessian Zombies; Lich Lord of Unx; Prized Amalgam; Siren of the Silent Song. All the other blue zombies are poo poo or were limited fodder, but recurring Havengul Lich is pretty decent, and you get some alternate win conditions in Lich Lord of Unx.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

New Lili PW art?

from today's story

Her hat is dumb.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

New Lili PW art?

from today's story

there is 100% chance that there is a new lili

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Tron/Eldrazi/Dredge/Company

Company is not a bad matchup lol.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
well, unless they get real dumb (in a good way) and just commissioned new art for LOTV reprint (this isn't happening)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I think it's 40-60. The reason Jund is winning more is that Company seems to be less popular.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I think it's 40-60. The reason Jund is winning more is that Company seems to be less popular.

Its not even that bad on game 1. Post sideboard Jund is probably even heavily favored. Kalitas/ooze/anger/etc are just all great against the deck and are in every Jund 75.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

I think it is, you just don't get a lot of matchup data from a deck that isn't popular online. Abzan Company isn't popular online because combo's on modo suck. CoCo is a bomb against jund.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Prowess

U: Ingenious Skaab gets +1/-1 until end of turn

^^Looks strong to me

When Haunted Dead enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into play.

1B, discard two cards: Return Haunted Dead from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

I think it is, you just don't get a lot of matchup data from a deck that isn't popular online. Abzan Company isn't popular online because combo's on modo suck. CoCo is a bomb against jund.

Sickening posted:

Its not even that bad on game 1. Post sideboard Jund is probably even heavily favored. Kalitas/ooze/anger/etc are just all great against the deck and are in every Jund 75.

Company is by definition good against decks that are trying to 1 for 1 you. The idea that any deck playing 4x Finks, 4x Company and some number of VoR is a good matchup for Jund is nutty.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Do you play either deck? I get mcmagic's skewed view on it because he has an irrational hatred for jund, but honestly I feel like jund has been more prevalent lately because of company. Its without a doubt the deck I run up against the most and have the most success playing against.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I hope new Lilliana isn't just an underhwleming 3BB PW like new Jace.

Give me a good 2BB Lilliana like newish Gideon so I can make my zombie deck :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Do you play either deck? I get mcmagic's skewed view on it because he has an irrational hatred for jund, but honestly I feel like jund has been more prevalent lately because of company. Its without a doubt the deck I run up against the most and have the most success playing against.

I don't think this is true. If the metagame was reacting to Company, you would see much more of Abzan than Jund.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Story TL;DR:

Liliana tries to use geist-magic/science to negate the unpleasant side effects of the Chain Veil. It doesn't work. She goes to see Olivia Voldaren to give her back her geistmage and says hi to Sorin. Sorin is salty because Liliana opened the Helvault, threatens to kill her for releasing Nahiri but Liliana just laughs at him, he apparently has no real power over her? Sorin and Olivia go off to pointlessly fight Nahiri while Liliana notices that the world itself is corrupted. Liliana also notices that the dead/undead are conveniently immune to Emrakul's warping mutations and begins gathering an army.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic Story

* Liliana is trying to use a lightning storm and a Witchbane Orb to allow her to use the Chain Veil without the side effects. It doesn't work and its extremely painful to call on the power of the Veil. She thinks the only person who could really help her figure out how to use it is "Cloak Boy," but the last time she saw him he was loving crazy.

* Liliana is attacked by Emrakul-Werewolves. She dispatches them, but Olivia Voldaren's geistmage gets busted up (he's a zombie so he's still, er, alive).

* Liliana goes to Voldaren Manor and the Priest lady at the door won't let her in (the spoiled card). Liliana is annoyed, but asks to talk to Olivia. Olivia has every vampire in the entire brood at the manor and is having a "party" to celebrate Avacyn's destruction. Olivia is gushing a lot about how she wished she knew who destroyed the Helvault so she could thank them, hint hint.

* She is lead to the back room where she meets Sorin, and Olivia reveals she's in cahoots with Sorin and her manner was all a game. She accuses Liliana of breaking the Helvault (actually, it was Thalia) and releasing Nahiri.

* Sorin blames Liliana for the plane's destruction (instead of either Nahiri, or himself, which are both equally as accurate). He tries to act hard but Liliana isn't scared of him because she could just use the Chain Veil if she had to.

* Sorin demands she help him and Olivia's Vampire Army march to defeat Nahiri. They're ignoring Emrakul and the Eldrazi in favor of getting revenge on Nahiri. Liliana basically says "gently caress that" and decides to head for Thraben to save "Cloak Boy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

When Haunted Dead enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into play.

1B, discard two cards: Return Haunted Dead from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Haha, is it supposed to be that the Zombie is the animated corpse, and the Spirit token represents the ghost of the person who used to inhabit that body? And they're working together?

• Locked thread