Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

My company hovers at around 50 employees. Over the last year and a half we've lost 24 people to resignations and terms. I'm told that's normal for this place.

EDIT: I was called to the CEO's office while I was writing this post. Apparently they hired an executive without telling me but they were still hashing out his compensation. In the few minutes I was in there working on the CEO's iPhone the executive asked for and was granted a $750 a month vehicle allowance. That number seems absurd to me.

Isn't a normal car payment around 1k a month for something new nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The mortgage on my house is $1k.

Quick back of the envelope numbers say that's probably a two or three year lease on a $100k car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A four year loan for a normal person new car (~$20k) is going to be around $300 a month.

I will never own a car that costs a thousand a month. :stare:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Dick Trauma posted:

My company hovers at around 50 employees. Over the last year and a half we've lost 24 people to resignations and terms. I'm told that's normal for this place.

EDIT: I was called to the CEO's office while I was writing this post. Apparently they hired an executive without telling me but they were still hashing out his compensation. In the few minutes I was in there working on the CEO's iPhone the executive asked for and was granted a $750 a month vehicle allowance. That number seems absurd to me.

That does seem high for a 50 person company. I wouldn't give it a second thought at a 1000+ employee place.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

I mean, for certain very strange definitions of "normal", sure.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

A four year loan for a normal person new car (~$20k) is going to be around $300 a month.

I will never own a car that costs a thousand a month. :stare:

You could buy a normal person car, two backups, and still have an extra hundred a month to cover the insurance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO has a little fleet of cars including an i8 and a GT3 (that he curbed) so I think his view of what's normal is somewhat skewed.

That skew seems to cover pretty much everything.

EDIT: Receptionist at the old place just emailed me. They still haven't replaced the I.T. Manager that quit in January! They're using the helpdesk guy and the MSP's onsite engineer. The expense to have the engineer there all day every day is mind blowing.

The VP of I.T. position has been reopened. They've been looking since November of 2014. :downs:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 28, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

In the few minutes I was in there working on the CEO's iPhone the executive asked for and was granted a $750 a month vehicle allowance. That number seems absurd to me.
Depends on the company. I worked at a construction management firm and if you were a PM you could choose between a full-size SUV (like a GMC Yukon) or a full-size pickup truck. Those were like $500+/month leases. They paid for fuel and mileage overages as well.

Worked at a chemical company and the plant manager was allowed to lease a mid-size crossover or sedan (Ford Edge is what the person picked). I'm sure that was at least $400/month. These were all years ago so I can imagine they're near 750/month now

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My old AWFUL_JOB offered a colleague a car stipend to avoid paying taxes on a raise (not sure if that's a thing) but his salary was ~80k and they got him a $900/mo lease on an full size fully loaded white on white Infiniti. We only had maybe 8 employees. That place was madness.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My old AWFUL_JOB offered a colleague a car stipend to avoid paying taxes on a raise (not sure if that's a thing) but his salary was ~80k and they got him a $900/mo lease on an full size fully loaded white on white Infiniti. We only had maybe 8 employees. That place was madness.

I'm not an accountant, but If I had to guess, they probaly counted that $900/month as a business expense instead of a benefit, which means that instead of having to pay payroll tax on a ~12,000 a year raise, they can take tax deductions on a ~12,000 a year expense.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Greatbacon posted:

I'm not an accountant, but If I had to guess, they probaly counted that $900/month as a business expense instead of a benefit, which means that instead of having to pay payroll tax on a ~12,000 a year raise, they can take tax deductions on a ~12,000 a year expense.

But there are also very specific rules regarding fringe benefit tax for this sort of thing. To catch this exact scenario. This is why all of our vehicles have company branding and the company policy is for company usage only. This policy is not strictly enforced but it exists for tax reasons.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My mother in law's company offers company vehicles or a stipend for field visiting employees. The men get $200 more than the women. Never change oil field companies, never change.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

go3 posted:

My mother in law's company offers company vehicles or a stipend for field visiting employees. The men get $200 more than the women. Never change oil field companies, never change.

The gently caress?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Was this the same oil field company as the one that had some huge thing with an employee getting caught spending tons of money at a strip club by his wife, and then in retaliation he told the boss's wife about the boss going to strip clubs / hiring prostitutes / whatever?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oh no completely different. This one is actually pretty large.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

go3 posted:

I know a black, female DBA who applied for a job at a power company. Got told by HR during her interview that "it's kind of a good old boys club around here, and we don't really see you getting the job". SPOILER ALERT she didn't get the job.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

hihifellow posted:

I know a black, female DBA who applied for a job at a power company. Got told by HR during her interview that "it's kind of a good old boys club around here, and we don't really see you getting the job". SPOILER ALERT she didn't get the job.

I assume she made out pretty well in her lawsuit?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

myron cope posted:

Hahahaha

Haha

Hah

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Here in Denmark cars are taxed so hard it makes the prices twice as high as most other countries, and I still think $1000/month is a high amount.

Leasing examples
- Mercedes C 200 aut. Business AMG Line eksteriør
- Volvo XC60 D4 aut. Momentum PL
- BMW 420d Coupe (F32)

Buying the car (with payment over 7 years @3% APR (not good, but whatever)
- Subaru Forester 2,0 D X CVT AWD
- Volvo V40 2,0 T3 152 Momentum
- Nissan X-Trail 1,6 dCi 130 Tekna 4WD
- VW Passat 1,4 GTE Variant DSG
- Audi A4 2,0 TDi 136 Ultra Avant

(I have a morgage of $1041/month, and pay $372/month on both cars. )

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crowley posted:

eksteriør

Hey I can read Danish! :pseudo:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Hey I can read Danish! :pseudo:

Danish is simple!

and

That's pretty much all you need to know.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 29, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

myron cope posted:

Seriously, that's a straight-up blatant breach of the Civil Rights Act. You'd think HR of all people would know better than to explicitly state that.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddamnit hard disk, what do you want from me?

Occasionally threw up SMART alerts for imminent disk failure on boot, every scan I've thrown at it says everything is fine including built-in diagnostics. I'm doing the warranty dance having to check everything out to post logs.

Is it at all possible an ever so slightly loose sata connector being a culprit? I can't think of anything else since there haven't been any obvious problems, it's an Intel 535 SSD.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do you have any colleagues who like practical jokes?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jeoh posted:

:golfclap:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The line between practical joke and incompetence is very fine.

"Yeah I put the new hard drive in but it's still not able to see anything.. can you take a look?"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Super Slash posted:

Goddamnit hard disk, what do you want from me?

Occasionally threw up SMART alerts for imminent disk failure on boot, every scan I've thrown at it says everything is fine including built-in diagnostics. I'm doing the warranty dance having to check everything out to post logs.

Is it at all possible an ever so slightly loose sata connector being a culprit? I can't think of anything else since there haven't been any obvious problems, it's an Intel 535 SSD.

I had one drive on my home desktop occasionally disappearing entirely, and usually reappearing on reboot. Finally stopped doing that after I swapped out the SATA cable - I guess it was just loose enough that the vibration from the fans/spinning platters/etc. would gradually work it *just* loose enough to disconnect, and the startup vibration would enable it again. (That, or my fiddling with the cables while cursing horribly: "something something Machine Spirits something rotten sonofabitch something gallon of gas something".)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I had one drive on my home desktop occasionally disappearing entirely, and usually reappearing on reboot. Finally stopped doing that after I swapped out the SATA cable - I guess it was just loose enough that the vibration from the fans/spinning platters/etc. would gradually work it *just* loose enough to disconnect, and the startup vibration would enable it again. (That, or my fiddling with the cables while cursing horribly: "something something Machine Spirits something rotten sonofabitch something gallon of gas something".)

We had an issue like that about 10 years ago, relatively large server purchase.. 500+ 2u servers. The hardware configuration we chose made it through testing with flying colors, the test stand was two servers in a rack by themselves that we ran some benchmarks on. But once the full purchase was installed and powered up, we were getting massive amounts of I/O errors doing burnin.. during shakedown any errors are required to be fixed within 24 hours or the vendor risks losing the contract, and we were seeing more than 50% of the hard drives barfing.

After lots of meetings with Very Important People and much experimentation and research, someone discovered the chassis fans were the cause. Turns out when you have 32 machines in a rack and 16 racks all lined up in a row, all those fans spinning at full tilt created enough vibration that it jittered the hard drive heads. Vendor had to source new smoother fans and retrofit every server. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

After lots of meetings with Very Important People and much experimentation and research, someone discovered the chassis fans were the cause. Turns out when you have 32 machines in a rack and 16 racks all lined up in a row, all those fans spinning at full tilt created enough vibration that it jittered the hard drive heads. Vendor had to source new smoother fans and retrofit every server. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss says I shouldn't scream in the datacenter

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

RFC2324 posted:

You've been rich for way too long m'man.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You've been rich for way too long m'man.

I've never owned a new car lol. Going by what i have seen people say for something new

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I've never owned a new car lol. Going by what i have seen people say for something new

Then you are hanging around people with overly expensive cars. The average joe buys a car in the 20-30k USD range. If you get a 6% loan (middle of the road credit) on $30,000 over 5 years, that's only $580 or 590 a month.

For $1,000 a month, you're looking at about $55,000 USD. That's solidly in the luxury car.

(Unless people are talking about all of the ownership costs, e.g. fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Arsten posted:

Then you are hanging around people with overly expensive cars. The average joe buys a car in the 20-30k USD range. If you get a 6% loan (middle of the road credit) on $30,000 over 5 years, that's only $580 or 590 a month.

For $1,000 a month, you're looking at about $55,000 USD. That's solidly in the luxury car.

(Unless people are talking about all of the ownership costs, e.g. fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc)

Then you are hanging around people with overly expensive cars. The average joe probably spends less than 5K per vehicle off craigslists.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Jeoh posted:

No SATA cable shenanigans here I'm afraid!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Finally stopped doing that after I swapped out the SATA cable - I guess it was just loose enough that the vibration from the fans/spinning platters/etc.

I'm hoping it's not the case with this as the machine is a HP 260 G1 Mini PC, so that means an itty bitty ribbon cable instead!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Johnny Aztec posted:

The average joe probably spends less than 5K per vehicle off craigslists.
Here here. I'm driving an '08 Civic that I bought for a song off Craigslist and I'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off the motherfucker. Working from home and putting maybe 25 miles on my car per week, it's difficult to justify more.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Then you are hanging around people with overly expensive cars. The average joe probably spends less than 5K per vehicle off craigslists.

I hang around with people who need reliable transportation and just get some flavor of sedan or small SUV if they have a family. While there is a lot of churn on CraigsList in lovely cars, I seriously doubt someone with a $750 car allowance from a company is going to jump all over MC Fruit Stripes' 08 Civic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Here here. I'm driving an '08 Civic that I bought for a song off Craigslist and I'm going to drive it til the wheels fall off the motherfucker. Working from home and putting maybe 25 miles on my car per week, it's difficult to justify more.

Working from home is ideal and it makes your car purchase much less a requirement. In that situation I can't fault you. In my situation, though, if I am in town, I travel at least 62 miles per day. I pay less for my base model sedan's purchase (also it is normalized each month versus unpredictable spikes) than I ever did on repairs to the....er.... "deals" from CraigsList and/or used car lots.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry about your lovely car :smug:

It probably helps to be a car geek so you know what repairs are going to be needed after buying, and so you know which cars have a big problem, even from otherwise reliable brands.

If I had a 62 mile commute, I would probably try to find something more comfortable than my hatchback, though.

Unexpected spikes should be minimal with a good car, and those can even happen with newer cars, unless you mean your car is still under warranty.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry about your lovely car :smug:

It probably helps to be a car geek so you know what repairs are going to be needed after buying, and so you know which cars have a big problem, even from otherwise reliable brands.

If I had a 62 mile commute, I would probably try to find something more comfortable than my hatchback, though.

Unexpected spikes should be minimal with a good car, and those can even happen with newer cars, unless you mean your car is still under warranty.

I'm not a car geek (I have better things to spend my money on :smug: ) but I have a lot of knowledge on vehicles. I can identify many issues and repair them myself. The problem is that I travel too much (both by car and by air) to be able to sit down and dedicate a day to fixing my car.

As for spikes, if you keep a car from new and are good with the PM (not just oil changes, but all of the PM schedule) then it'll last for a long time and give few unexpected spikes in operating cost. It's harder to do that with a used car and I generally buy from a lot (because I have :airquote: relationships :airquote: I can exploit) and attach a repair rider and take care of the PM like a new car. The extra cost is negligible and it significantly smooths the cost spike potential.

For instance, my wife got a used car, but at the test drive I could tell the CVT had issues so I got a repairs agreement on the purchase. When it inevitably failed 10k miles later, I didn't have to pay a dime and the repair cost was more than the agreement, so I saved a crapload. Plus, I still had another 70,000 miles on the repair agreement in case it keeps breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I absolutely get not having the time/energy to fix your car. I do oil changes and will eventually get around to the antifreeze, but beyond that, I just take it in. I took a week to do the last major repair I did myself due to sadistic design. At the time I had a company vehicle, but if I can't guarantee it will be done by the end of Sunday, I can't risk it.

I never bought a car myself. I'm driving a Subaru that my mother bought for $5000 when I started college. Since 2014 I have put about $4500 into it, but almost all of that was predictable maintenance, aside from the above repair and another part I think I hosed in the process of that repair.

If I had gotten a 2.5 engine instead of the 2.2 and not known about the head gaskets on Subaru 2.5s, that would have been a $1500 unexpected spike. That's what I was thinking about when I said problems with reliable brands.