Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xae posted:

How bad are they?

It's been over a month since the line started and they're still way the gently caress behind demand. Are we talking about single digit percents here?
If you're getting less than 500 chips a week from a process you've had for over a year, something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I volunteer myself because I killed a 290 I was also undervolting the gently caress out of

with coffee

I'm going to ask again, How Is This A Thing. Is there some additional performance I'm missing out on threatening my electronics with constant doom from a nudged container of liquid? How are people setup in a way that their tower is either close enough or coffee cup height? Do you also vape or exhale your cigar smoke into the case fans?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I'm going to ask again, How Is This A Thing. Is there some additional performance I'm missing out on threatening my electronics with constant doom from a nudged container of liquid? How are people setup in a way that their tower is either close enough or coffee cup height? Do you also vape or exhale your cigar smoke into the case fans?
It's the price of not having your computer on your desk so it looks nice or having more room for stupid poo poo like coffee cups

gently caress presentation, it's never worth it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Sometimes you just gotta pour a little espresso into an intake fan to help your PC perk up in the morning.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

TSMC has apocalyptic yields right now according to Taiwanese sites. Everything is bad

If GloFo can make chips that work fine with a downclock to stuff in laptops with laptop performance expectations (if.) and make good numbers of cards then going with them isn't really a wrong call even if they're inefficient at higher clocks. Because let's be honest here, most of us are horrified by that number more because it bodes seriously ill for how much performance they can fit in 300W than because this card uses a bit more power to deliver a decent amount of power for its price point.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

repiv posted:

NDA is up.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,1.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/

Remember all the people saying the 150W TDP is just a maximum, and it will pull more like 100W on average? TPU measured it at 163-167W during gaming :eng99:

It's basically tied with the 970 on perf-per-watt despite a double node advantage.

Ah, drat, this was the only part I was hoping to be stellar. 970 level at ~100W would have been amazing, but oh well, that's what I get.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

If GloFo can make chips that work fine with a downclock to stuff in laptops with laptop performance expectations (if.) and make good numbers of cards then going with them isn't really a wrong call even if they're inefficient at higher clocks. Because let's be honest here, most of us are horrified by that number more because it bodes seriously ill for how much performance they can fit in 300W than because this card uses a bit more power to deliver a decent amount of power for its price point.
I guess we'll see once we see the actual laptop SKUs roll out....from Apple....in 5 months

:negative:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I just realized how vindicated Intel must feel right now about their fab trouble considering what's going on at other fabs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

I just realized how vindicated Intel must feel right now about their fab trouble considering what's going on at other fabs.
Giving each other pats in the back and circlejerks for increasing Broadwell-E and EP's price relative to comparable Haswell SKUs while also slightly backsliding in performance for half of their SKUs and leaving even less headroom for the suckers who bought HEDT.

Followed by ritual layoff lotteries

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Giving each other pats in the back and circlejerks for increasing Broadwell-E and EP's price relative to comparable Haswell SKUs while also slightly backsliding in performance for half of their SKUs and leaving even less headroom for the suckers who bought HEDT.

Followed by ritual layoff lotteries

Ugh don't get me started. I'm so loving done with pc gaming if I have to dehumanize myself and face to that for both CPU and GPU.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Xae posted:

How bad are they?

It's been over a month since the line started and they're still way the gently caress behind demand. Are we talking about single digit percents here?
I don't think those public numbers exist at this point. "Bad" is a relative term here since bigger dies will always yield less even on a mature process for instance. I would be shocked if it was single digit percent range yield though. Probably wouldn't even be practical to launch with yields like that since each wafer costs thousands and they have to pay the fab on a per wafer basis no matter the yield they get unless they have some sort of special deal of course. A deal of that sort would involve NV guaranteeing to buy a certain number of wafers (probably a large number of them) at a fixed cost no matter what.

Best public pricing information on 14/16nm I'm aware of:

As far as where the yields maybe could be right now I wouldn't even guess. FWIW as a comparison: I remember hearing rumors of AMD's Bulldozer having yields of 40% (usable dies, no idea on bins) when it was originally launched years ago which were considered terrible for a high volume shipping product. The GPU biz could have a very different definition of what would be considered "terrible" though. Especially when launching on a new process. For all I know they really could be getting single digit percent yields and be OK with that....so long as yields improve rapidly per batch. If they go from single digit yields to 90%+ in a month or 2 they might care at all. Single digit yields are usually a indicator of a big process or design issue though so such a situation would probably be pretty unlikely.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ Rumors is all we have at this point but it is the sort of thing TSMC would not admit to for as long as possible. Yields are something they really don't talk about anyways either. Historically TSMC has generally promised quite a bit but fallen short of its marks since at least the 90nm era when it comes to stuff like process performance and availability dates so I'm fairly cynical about anything they say.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 29, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Any reputable sources showing that there are yield issues at TSMC? When I google it I just see a bunch of conflicting rumors.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Ugh don't get me started. I'm so loving done with pc gaming if I have to dehumanize myself and face to that for both CPU and GPU.
The ARMpocalypse will soon release us from our torment of silly glowing windows and aluminum-steel boxes

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Any reputable sources showing that there are yield issues at TSMC? When I google it I just see a bunch of conflicting rumors.

The fact that AMD was able to drop more product to retailers in a week than Nvidia has in a couple of months (?) speaks to something being hosed in Nvidia land.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

FaustianQ posted:

Even a 390X with 1100Mhz clock soundly beats the RX480, drop the voltage and clocks so the 390X matches the RX480 performance and the efficiency gain on the new node is laughable.

This is a good strategy if only wafers would be free.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Xae posted:

The fact that AMD was able to drop more product to retailers in a week than Nvidia has in a couple of months (?) speaks to something being hosed in Nvidia land.

To be fair the AMD dies are smaller, which gives an exponential payoff in usable chips/wafer.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Xae posted:

Availability is poor for Nvidia yes but... months? lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It's really more probable that Nvidia officially launched the cards the [sub-month unit of time] they got working samples, nevermind concurrent production capacity at all, so you're looking at month-and-a-half old silicon at most. Smell the freshness

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I guarantee you its going to be worse after today too

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don't worry! The 1080 has the highest production rampup of any hardware launch ever!*

going from 100 units to 500 in a month

*in percentage points

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Availability is poor for Nvidia yes but... months? lol

The "Launch Event" for the 1070 and 1080 was May 6th. And they had said it was already being produced.

So yes. In one week AMD created more product than Nvidia has in two months.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Skuto posted:

To be fair the AMD dies are smaller, which gives an exponential payoff in usable chips/wafer.

The 1070 being a big ol crop chip should help balance that out vs only whole die 480s, no?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I guarantee you its going to be worse after today too

Yeah, people are going to stretch to 1070s. Rough place for AMD, I bet there's not much margin on these parts already.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

The 1070 being a big ol crop chip should help balance that out vs only whole die 480s, no?
They at least have twice as many chips that can be salvaged into 1070s as 1080 dies.

What I wonder is what they'll do to the thousands upon thousands of runts that don't make it, and it's sort of why I'm any bit optimistic for the 1060, since it might have the higher bus and ROP count and other good things of GP104.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

GTX 1080 vs GTX 980

1607 / 1126 = 43% clock speed gain from 28nm -> 16nm

RX 480 vs R9 390

1266 / 1000 / = 26% clock speed gain from 28nm -> 14nm

The architectural improvements in the RX 480 are for the most part are not in the shader core, so there's no shader IPC to win. fp16 support isn't used enough to lose clockspeed over, and I can't remember my shaders running out of instruction cache (but maybe that says more about my shaders). This is supported by the GFLOP number not corresponding to any real world perf increase.

We can't tell if it's AMD's design process, or GloFo/Samsung, but this was never gonna be a winner as soon as the relative clock-speeds were announced.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

xthetenth posted:

The 470 is supposed to be a cropped 480 isn't it?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

xthetenth posted:

It'll help but it won't work miracles. They're going to get plenty per wafer that'll be totally unusable because of that big die no matter what.

Now if they can actually fuse off enough dead parts of a die from a failed 1080 or 1070 and sell it as a 1060 salvage part that would probably be a big deal. At least during these early initial launch months if 1080 yields are truly poo poo. In the long run its probably much better to have a dedicated 1060 die that is much smaller and so yields a whole lot better per wafer.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They could be doing the 970 thing correctly and actually correctly cut off the non-working memory controller parts instead of use a donkey dick hybrid system where everything grinds to a halt after a certain point.

...I have more unrealistic expectations of Nvidia than AMD, what is wrong with me.

That's exactly what they're doing with the two models of GP100 Teslas, although that's probably down more to the HBM stack than the memory controller on the chip itself getting harvested.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The 560ti-448 and 660ti were limited-run items that were really good for the value. Nvidia could make a cool card-to-have out of those things, if they don't just decide to chuck them to OEMs as laptop chips and jack up the price, which is what I'm worried about.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Yes, which is why the GTX 1070 is easier to actually get despite being launched later. That doesn't change the GTX 1080 vs RX 480 situation, though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Xae posted:

The "Launch Event" for the 1070 and 1080 was May 6th. And they had said it was already being produced.

So yes. In one week AMD created more product than Nvidia has in two months.

But during that launch event, the actual launch dates were released which is the only dates that matter, nobody there implied that the cards were for sale on May 6th. The 1070 launch was on the 11th, AIB dates were the 13th, which is the best case scenario, and the 1080 was ~beginning of June I don't actually remember and that is the worst case since their availability has been notably lower overall.

But regardless, AMD definitely released with real stock, since there are still some available for sale. Despite all the :supaburn: about it, there would be plenty of people buying these the moment they released to indicate stock issues.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

But during that launch event, the actual launch dates were released which is the only dates that matter

"Launch dates" on which no one was actually able to obtain the card...are not launch dates.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Xae posted:

Or they're selling really, really well. Probably both. I suppose it's much too early for any sales numbers?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Skuto posted:

"Launch dates" on which no one was actually able to obtain the card...are not launch dates.

There were at least 20 for sale

(my point was its already bad, no need to exaggerate. we are a month in)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Or they're selling really, really well. Probably both. I suppose it's much too early for any sales numbers?
It is not early for shipping manifests to be read and leaked, though, which is what is happening for some stores.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Naffer posted:

The 470 is supposed to be a cropped 480 isn't it?

It is but it's also irrelevant to the stock of 480 vs stock of 1080 + 1070 comparison, where even with the 1070 added in supply isn't amazing.

Although the 470 might be really good price perf for those who get their wattage savings from sensible places.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man, some of this "sky is falling" nonsense is having me question whether or not we're on /g/ right now...

RX 480 looks like a decent upgrade from my GTX 760, and I'll get to use freesync. It'd literally cost me double to go with nvidia's route, considering only the GSync tax, and assuming nVidia had a 200 dollar card out right now for this performance.

Seems like a reasonable choice, though definitely not the GTX 980 killer people were hyping.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

Man, some of this "sky is falling" nonsense is having me question whether or not we're on /g/ right now...

RX 480 looks like a decent upgrade from my GTX 760, and I'll get to use freesync. It'd literally cost me double to go with nvidia's route, considering only the GSync tax, and assuming nVidia had a 200 dollar card out right now for this performance.

Seems like a reasonable choice, though definitely not the GTX 980 killer people were hyping.

If you thought 4chan was bad, read r/amd/

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I agree with the performance... mostly (regular AIB 970 performance would be better). The rabble rabble is focused mostly on the how its doing it though, which is ... not inspiring.
releasing a card at the high end of the voltage-to-hurts diminishing returns curve, for one

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 29, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I agree with the performance... mostly (regular AIB 970 performance would be better). The rabble rabble is focused mostly on the how its doing it though, which is ... not inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Yeah, but what about my unrealistic and ignorant expectations? I had so many and sold my 980ti in anticipation of this what about me, huh? How could AMD LIE LIKE THIS