Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But did you earn it? :raise:

He paid the iron(ic) price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

quote:

Urbit is a clean-slate redesign of computing. It's a network protocol and a virtual machine, a programming language and an identity system, an OS and a database. Nothing even remotely like Urbit has ever been built. And Urbit is open source and patent-free.
But is it disruptive? That's what I really need to know.

It is really Jesus in digital form. With bitcoins somehow because why not mention them even though they have nothing to do with this thing (as far as I can tell).

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Digital real estate is a sound investment because iGod isn't making any more cyberland.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

quote:

Free beer is always the opposite of free speech.

So sayeth the internet star/ship/planet seller.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

Video games, which as we all know are awful until proven otherwise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volcott posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

Video games, which as we all know are awful until proven otherwise.

The video released yesterday for this was so boring.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The video released yesterday for this was so boring.

The best part of the entire project is that cool spinning .gif with the stretch goals.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I like the tier where they're render your corpse in-game for $350.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Why won't anyone remake that game where you run a zoo only instead of elephants you fill it with dinosaurs. That's what I really want.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Volcott posted:

Why won't anyone remake that game where you run a zoo only instead of elephants you fill it with dinosaurs. That's what I really want.

I un-ironically want this too. Dinosaurs or just regular animals I don't care, just give me a loving zoo you assholes.

Only thing I can think of is maybe Frontier releasing some sort of zoo DLC for Planet Coaster in a couple years.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Not to continue the anime derail, but as someone of underdeveloped feminine form and frequently mistaken for underage, for the love of god stop loving virtue signaling about japanese illustrations you don't like protraying people of loving youth.

It's like you're projecting your shame at liking the real thing (youthful women) and turning up the diarrhea dial to compare it to crypto-pedophilia. I'm so loving sick of this poo poo. I don't even like anime, I'm just sick of flirting with dudes and them getting scared when they find out my tits are small and I wear Juniors sizes because you keep shaming them for it.

:goonettesay:

e: Alternatively

wit posted:

Once more, please shut the gently caress up about anime and your favourite anime and bad anime.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Jun 29, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

Not to continue the anime derail, but as someone of underdeveloped feminine form and frequently mistaken for underage, for the love of god stop loving virtue signaling about japanese illustrations you don't like protraying people of loving youth.

It's like you're projecting your shame at liking the real thing (youthful women) and turning up the diarrhea dial to compare it to crypto-pedophilia. I'm so loving sick of this poo poo. I don't even like anime, I'm just sick of flirting with dudes and them getting scared when they find out my tits are small and I wear Juniors sizes because you keep shaming them for it.

Is virtue signaling just how you say holier than thou in 2016?

(Personal question, but what do you do if you need formal wear, or, y'know, anything that projects a more mature image than what you can find in the junior section?)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Volcott posted:

Is virtue signaling just how you say holier than thou in 2016?

(Personal question, but what do you do if you need formal wear, or, y'know, anything that projects a more mature image than what you can find in the junior section?)
Yes, though "virtue signalling" is a term associated with people who have the wrong politics and as such has negative connotations as far as communities I frequent (whether I do or not in reality)

Anyway, to answer the other question: I'd need to stuff the chest or find like a prom dress. It's good for general casual or dressy fashion because that's how they like models to be built, roughly, but it's not great for formal wear because none of it loving fits and it makes me look like a teenage gymnast in a suit or a gown with an empty chest

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Noyemi K posted:

Yes, though "virtue signalling" is a term associated with people who have the wrong politics and as such has negative connotations as far as communities I frequent (whether I do or not in reality)

Anyway, to answer the other question: I'd need to stuff the chest or find like a prom dress. It's good for general casual or dressy fashion because that's how they like models to be built, roughly, but it's not great for formal wear because none of it loving fits and it makes me look like a teenage gymnast in a suit or a gown with an empty chest

Just wear Quinceanera dresses all the time.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Just wear Quinceanera dresses all the time.

I am the correct shade of brown for that, but my hair is loving everywhere and refuses to be tamed by these implements known as "brushes", "combs", and "dryers". It's like a dark brown firework display of tightly curled tresses and my head is the origin point of the explosion.

On loving topic, I'm suddenly seeing this overpriced piece of nonexistent poo poo everywhere that doubtless is not miraculous as described. Any pen experts got any funny conjecture on how this is either possible but hopelessly worthless in execution, or impossible to produce as described? Yes, it's definitely possible in theory, as it can use photodiodes or some poo poo to store an RGB signal in memory and convert that to the CMYK model, but that introduces errors as one is additive and one is subtractive and signal conversion is limited by quantization step fidelity.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Noyemi K posted:

Are you a 4000 year old demon in a preteen body?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Or err, printing industry/ink experts, I'm sure we have a number of you.

Otisburg posted:

Are you a 4000 year old demon in a preteen body?

I forgot that every female anime character is this. Forgive me, pious one.

e: I like you guys but can we please talk about the pen

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jun 29, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Noyemi K posted:

I forgot that every female anime character is this. Forgive me, pious one.

I can only think of three off the top of my head

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

boom boom boom posted:

I can only think of three off the top of my head

Obviously you are not watching "enough" anime then.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Acne Rain posted:

Obviously you are not watching "enough" anime then.

I watch so much anime, dude.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Wow this pen is redic. First of all, super lol at the professional artist in her gorgeous house. The huge paint mess tries to say "prolific artist", but that final drawing says "Wine and Canvas Frequent Flyer"

The advertisement really tries to sell itself as something that will solve that whole 'practice' problem. As if the only thing holding people back from great art is a pen that can match colors. Also, any good artist will tell you that the 'blue' she took from the cup is greatly deceiving - the cup really isn't just one color. Depending on the kind of light, time of day, things surrounding the object, the cup subtly changes color. The pen just selects a sort of symbolic color that the cup is. It's the same as "I know this eye is a squashed oval with a circle for an iris and a smaller circle for a pupil". Also, what a rigid way of thinking. The cat is black, therefore my picture must be black. Art is, at it's very core, about really looking at the world. Good art is still practice, study, and hard work.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Noyemi K posted:

:goonettesay:

e: Alternatively

You're projecting so hard Japanese fishing boats could navigate by you. If you want to not be mistaken for a kid maybe start by not pitching a fit like a petulant child every time someone triggers your napoleon complex?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I heard they couldn't get a working prototype done yet, so... RIP?

Guy Mann posted:

You're projecting so hard Japanese fishing boats could navigate by you. If you want to not be mistaken for a kid maybe start by not pitching a fit like a petulant child every time someone triggers your napoleon complex?

god shut the gently caress up about how much you hate japanese people

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Who needs that level of on the fly color reproduction?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Here's my issue: even if you did, this would not be able to even approximate what you'd need because you'd have to keep sampling, or worse, it uses its own light source to sample something (if it even loving worked, that is)

So, you get an imperfect and static reproduction of the sampled signal which, mind you, has to be converted to a different signal model in the case of the most hotly anticipated version of this scam product.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

>Hey what color is that apple?

Red.

>No I need the hex code.

It's red. Just gently caress with the sliders until it's more or less that shade of red.

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I am obsessed enough with PC-98 graphics hardware and graphics signal storage and processing that I can give you any palette you like, for free, in 24-bit RGB hex

however, it will be a palette of 16 colours for your entire image, out of 4096 because I have severe autism or something. I did exactly this for a design job at some point this year, for which the client was astonished and massively confused at me picking such specifically algorithmic colours right out of my rear end in the slack

I will make a pen that does that, and it will also complain about its small tits

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Quantization isn't an issue an issue because quantization loss is mathematically equivalent to noise. The scanning part could probably work fairly well and would be fairly useful (there are existing devices that do this but they are really expensive) but lol at the physical pen part. No- loving- way.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Germstore posted:

Quantization isn't an issue an issue because quantization loss is mathematically equivalent to noise. The scanning part could probably work fairly well and would be fairly useful (there are existing devices that do this but they are really expensive) but lol at the physical pen part. No- loving- way.

I mean the error introduced in transforming the signal to a different model, not just quantization of amplitudes across the different sample bands. That conversion error can be quite significant, which is why tremendous precision is needed in graphics hardware for print houses and other professional design work (64-bit, multi thousand dollar GPUs that will not run games particularly well)

This is not a simple DAC problem, which is converting one model to a mathematically equivalent one, but actual inversion of the model to a completely different non-equivalent type.

Edit: Err, to clarify: specifically, colour reproduction to a digital model will be almost perfect on a monitor properly tuned because the signal model is the exact same, just not made up of continuous-time signal functions. However, turning this into an ink mixture is where all the problems would become evident.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jun 29, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

E: OK maybe forget it

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I feel like this should be a good bullshit metric.

Pantone has a color capture system called the capsure (https://www.pantone.com/capsure), where you can scan something and it'll match it to a color. It probably does come with a Pantone brand name mark-up, but even this costs $650 just to capture a color, let alone reproduce it in tiny pen ink cartridges on the fly. And if full sized printers can't match colors reliably, then this thing doesn't stand a chance.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The signal model conversion issue is why I suggested the touchscreen model could be useful, because you're not converting light-based signal samples to pigment-based ones, which unfortunately follow a model of non-equivalent properties for reproduction purposes.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I feel like this should be a good bullshit metric.

Pantone has a color capture system called the capsure (https://www.pantone.com/capsure), where you can scan something and it'll match it to a color. It probably does come with a Pantone brand name mark-up, but even this costs $650 just to capture a color, let alone reproduce it in tiny pen ink cartridges on the fly. And if full sized printers can't match colors reliably, then this thing doesn't stand a chance.

That's the thing - I can see this as a stylus with some success. A cheap point-based color scanner wouldn't be perfect but would be conceivable at that price point; it would probably pick up all glossy surfaces as white, but it might give a reasonable ballpark color to send via bluetooth to your tablet/computer otherwise. But feeding the microscopic mixtures of ink into a pen that's moving at variable speed and somehow being able to change colors without having leftover residue between colors? gently caress no.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Noyemi K posted:

On loving topic, I'm suddenly seeing this overpriced piece of nonexistent poo poo everywhere that doubtless is not miraculous as described. Any pen experts got any funny conjecture on how this is either possible but hopelessly worthless in execution, or impossible to produce as described? Yes, it's definitely possible in theory, as it can use photodiodes or some poo poo to store an RGB signal in memory and convert that to the CMYK model, but that introduces errors as one is additive and one is subtractive and signal conversion is limited by quantization step fidelity.

Why didn't they just start with a digital-only version, then move into handheld inkjet printer mode? There are quite a few devices that read colour already to varying degrees of success, but as a digital pen too could be neat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Why didn't they just start with a digital-only version, then move into handheld inkjet printer mode? There are quite a few devices that read colour already to varying degrees of success, but as a digital pen too could be neat.

The custom mixed ink thing is extra stupid because literally nobody needs it. An actual artist isn't going to want to use it because the color output would be too unreliable and nobody else really has a need to be able to write in different colors like that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
At least the System Shock remake seem to have a functioning prototype and the rights to the ip, which puts them ahead of a lot of video game kickstarters.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

muscles like this? posted:

The custom mixed ink thing is extra stupid because literally nobody needs it. An actual artist isn't going to want to use it because the color output would be too unreliable and nobody else really has a need to be able to write in different colors like that.

I bet it'd sell like crazy to the same sort of "artist" who thinks having an expensive Cintiq monitor will make their webcomic better, though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

OldMemes posted:

At least the System Shock remake seem to have a functioning prototype and the rights to the ip, which puts them ahead of a lot of video game kickstarters.

Bloodstained sent out the E3 demo to backers earlier this month, did that get any play ITT?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I think if they can make it work (and I mean it would basically be the same concept as a miniaturized printer head so it's not like a totally insane premise) that RGB pen would be a neat toy, a bit expensive, but really cool

I mean I could imagine it being useful if you wanted to like go out in nature to draw, instead of needing to bring a bunch of different colors with you you could bring that and actually sample from objects around you, or you could draw swatches on a page and copy your other colors ( or even save a color that ran out and is no longer made). No need to think it'd make you a better artist, just a unique way of enjoying the world around you and incorporating it in your drawings. It'd be like going back to the old days where artists would make their own pigments.

Whether it'd be practical would all come down to the refill mechanism (because unless you cycle out you're going to be mostly running out of one color constantly) and the controller really. I sort of want it because I like playing with sensors and stuff, or else I'd research it but it's probably expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park:_Operation_Genesis