Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Noam Chomsky posted:

did we ever find out if gay people are real? are straight people? what do the polls say?

How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

karlor posted:

you know that's a good point.

makes u think

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I get really uncomfortable with the "biology" arguments. Like when people were arguing over whether being gay was a choice or something they were born as. It shouldn't matter, and pretending it does puts everything into outdated religious frameworks of whether something is acceptable or sinful.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Inferior Third Season posted:

I get really uncomfortable with the "biology" arguments. Like when people were arguing over whether being gay was a choice or something they were born as. It shouldn't matter, and pretending it does puts everything into outdated religious frameworks of whether something is acceptable or sinful.

when you're trying to convince someone they're wrong you have to work on their terms

so long as a majority of people thing gender is innate and biological then the sexed brain argument will be effective even if it is inaccurate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In non-gender-related news, Puerto Rico may not be (quite) as hosed as it appeared (for now) (maybe). Strange bedfellows on both sides of this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

In non-gender-related news, Puerto Rico may not be (quite) as hosed as it appeared (for now) (maybe). Strange bedfellows on both sides of this.

So what the gently caress is this bill actually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm pretty fair, even discussion of issues surrounding gender and sexuality but have you considered that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Hmmm pretty fair, even discussion of issues surrounding gender and sexuality but have you considered that

Luckily for her, there has never been anyone in the whole world being weird and sexually aggressive RE: diapers

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

karlor posted:

I'm so glad someone else remembers Jaden. I wouldn't believe anyone who told me "In the future, Will Smith's son will break your brain," and I like to think I have a very good brain.

Prester, that was excellent. It does beg the question: are you Mac, or PC?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

theflyingorc posted:

Luckily for her, there has never been anyone in the whole world being weird and sexually aggressive RE: diapers
I was just going to ask if that was her fetish but your point is valid too.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Inferior Third Season posted:

I mean that sucks for you but a personal choice v. being born a certain way is kind of a big deal. Sorry if this offends you somehow (???)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

zoux posted:

An absurd reaction to something she can't understand, or a desperate attempt to explain a diaper fetish?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Business Gorillas posted:

I mean that sucks for you but a personal choice v. being born a certain way is kind of a big deal. Sorry if this offends you somehow (???)
Why is it a big deal?

It would matter if the choice had an inherently correct or incorrect option, but it doesn't because there's no moral problem with transgender people choosing to live their life the way they wish to identify. Why does it matter?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So what the gently caress is this bill actually

Puerto Rico doesn't get to declare bankruptcy and let a court handle restructuring the debts. Instead an unelected commission gets to restructure its debts on its behalf.

Paul Ryan's office specifically likens it to the boards which oversaw NYC's debt crisis in 1975 and DC in 1996.

EDIT: Also the minimum wage for 20-24 year olds in Puerto Rico is lowered to $4.25 an hour from $7.25.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 29, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Puerto Rico doesn't get to declare bankruptcy and let a court handle restructuring the debts. Instead an unelected commission gets to restructure its debts on its behalf.

Paul Ryan's office specifically likens it to the boards which oversaw NYC's debt crisis in 1975 and DC in 1996.

I mean that's not good but is there a better option on the table that doesn't involve 'ok ride out a few months of just straight up no money for anything remotely state related'? I really just don't see what a good end for PR is here.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why is it a big deal?

It would matter if the choice had an inherently correct or incorrect option, but it doesn't because there's no moral problem with transgender people choosing to live their life the way they wish to identify. Why does it matter?

It depends on the context and who is involved in the conversation.

If you're trying to win basic rights from a populace with an entrenched ideology, that doesn't understand you at best and hates you at worst, claiming to be born a certain way, and to not to have chosen to be a certain way, can more easily let you claim the moral high-ground in the eyes of the the public.

Most people, sadly, are not yet at the point where they're willing to allow people to live whatever way they wish, for some reason.

I wish everyone concentrated on themselves and how they're leading their lives instead of having huge problems with random people doing whatever. But, introspection is hard; it's much easier and more satisfying to judge and alienate others.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Hey how would everyone like to watch a dumpster fire in action?

The Travis County GOP chairman was sworn in last evening. You might know him from as the co-author of one of the books Trump uses to back up his attacks on the Clintons. Or for his love of big anime titties.

This got lost in the shuffle but is incredible. Left unsaid is the fact that he spent 45 minutes detailing the murderous child rape rings run by the Bushes, to the GOP, in Texas

I've seriously enjoyed following Morrow these many months since he got elected with the unique strategy of telling people not to vote for him and still getting in because his name was first on the ballot

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean that's not good but is there a better option on the table that doesn't involve 'ok ride out a few months of just straight up no money for anything remotely state related'? I really just don't see what a good end for PR is here.

Let them declare bankruptcy and not pay back wealthy mainland creditors?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

An absurd reaction to something she can't understand, or a desperate attempt to explain a diaper fetish?

One day our political class will embrace their fetishes and feel unashamed. Until that day, take a wide stance, baby.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

Let them declare bankruptcy and not pay back wealthy mainland creditors?

Right but doesn't the bankruptcy process inherently involve a lot of 'cool so we're not gonna be able to pay for basic needs for a while'? I thought because the debts are private there's not much 'forgiveness' options available unless all these dudes who were eager to suck PR dry so they could take advantage of the husk suddenly grow hearts?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not really, no. This bill managed to pass the House before it went into recess, and they aren't going to come back before PR's time runs out, so there's no chance to amend it. The best thing you can say is that it keeps someone's hand on the tiller so we aren't in totally uncharted waters.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 29, 2016

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

max4me posted:

DISCLAIMER: THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST IN THIS THREAD

When I read this maxi boy I was expecting a troll post. But yeah take a break go do something you enjoy :fap:

Xanderkish posted:

Trans people are folks whose gender identity deviates from the gender they were assigned at birth. Their gender identity is one that is deeply felt and recent research suggests is biologically based and hence is as unlikely to be changed as the gender identity of someone whose identity corresponds with the one they were assigned at birth (typically referred to as "cis"). Gender itself is an arbitrary and fluid social construct, and hence people's gender identities can be male, female, bigender, pangender, third gender, two spirit, agender, and any other gender categorization depending on what feels most right and true for the individual and is none of our loving business what they decide.

:allears: Very good but does this is also apply to the social construct of race?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right but doesn't the bankruptcy process inherently involve a lot of 'cool so we're not gonna be able to pay for basic needs for a while'? I thought because the debts are private there's not much 'forgiveness' options available unless all these dudes who were eager to suck PR dry so they could take advantage of the husk suddenly grow hearts?

Nah, that's the whole point of bankruptcy, to prioritize who gets the money. We could allow PR to declare bankruptcy and keep services running.

Of course, that means investors on the mainland would lose more money so....

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Hey how would everyone like to watch a dumpster fire in action?

The Travis County GOP chairman was sworn in last evening. You might know him from as the co-author of one of the books Trump uses to back up his attacks on the Clintons. Or for his love of big anime titties.

Lol it's literally that scene from the Dark Knight where the Joker goes to the mob meeting

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Why are so many cities and states and apparently territories such poo poo at managing money god drat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Donald Trump is now hitting up the Icelandic parliament for illegal campaign contributions or something.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

zoux posted:

You could probably get a lot of people to be willing to let trans people use any bathroom they prefer if the alternative is having to stand around people who just poo poo themselves.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

I mean that sucks for you but a personal choice v. being born a certain way is kind of a big deal.
Nah, it's actually not.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why are so many cities and states and apparently territories such poo poo at managing money god drat

Congress basically setup Puerto Rico as a in country tax shelter for decades, and the Puerto Rican authorities budgeted like this would never change. Congress yanked the rug out from under them around the time the world economic shat the bed and Puerto Rico is in legal limbo and lacks the tops to adequately respond.

Also, Puerto Rico doesn't seem to have agitated especially hard for either statehood or independence. It's apparently a point of contention there.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

zoux posted:

Im cool with this, less crowded bathrooms for the rest of us

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ups_rail posted:

:allears: Very good but does this is also apply to the social construct of race?

race is absolutely fluid but much like gender, the people who think they're hacking the system by smugly declaring they're a lady now and you can't do anything about it a) don't get it and b) are generally the kinds of people who freak out more when pressed on their classifications of others

the real answer is to recognize that the less people give a poo poo about race or gender the less of a problem it will be for society. unfortunately there's a ton of people who deeply give a poo poo about race and gender and they're the ones propping the structure up for everyone else

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Ups_rail posted:

Rachel Dolezal was ages ago, man, and that rhetorical sleight-of-hand was already old when it was plucked from the anal sphincter of Breitbart.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Your constituents want all of the services for no taxes whatsoever and there's a lag time on representatives being punished for "making people happy" by giving them what they think they want.

And then it's not always obvious who exactly is responsible since budgets are a swirling vortex of factors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's okay, Kentucky has a solution to healthcare, and this one doesn't involve chickens.

https://twitter.com/BGPolitics/status/748214525187493888

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sad!

I honestly think he's just trying to torpedo the GOP on purpose the way he's steering the whole party into a mountain

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sad!

I honestly think he's just trying to torpedo the GOP on purpose the way he's steering the whole party into a mountain

Charybdis must be fed

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have been reading this Bolivar book in ten and twenty minute chunks for like three months.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

something something Clinton Foundation

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ups_rail posted:

When I read this maxi boy I was expecting a troll post. But yeah take a break go do something you enjoy :fap:

lol no.

ethnicity you have an argument

also gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's okay, Kentucky has a solution to healthcare, and this one doesn't involve chickens.

https://twitter.com/BGPolitics/status/748214525187493888

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

• Locked thread