Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Just had a look at euro 2012. Great performance especially against Sweden when we came from 2-1 down to win 3-2! Beginning to think its coming home - IF we can get Andy Carroll on the plane again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

This tournament proves that with organisation and team spirit a team can get pretty far with championship players. I think maybe we brought too many flair players along when you just need a couple. Mark Noble to lead the line in the world cup qualifiers this autumn.

The championships a hard league and you need guts and hard work to get anywhere in there and the level isn't especially worse than the bottom half of the premier league so it's not surprising to be honest.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://twitter.com/LinoTreize/status/747790389898321920

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

lol

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
England's football centre is in the midlands, so they would probably want a manager from the midlands.

So that leaves Big Sam and Sean Dyche.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
what was he even trying to do with that free kick? smh

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The ronaldo thing and it worked because ronaldo never scores free kicks either

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Breath Ray posted:

The ronaldo thing and it worked because ronaldo never scores free kicks either

40 yards out? i, harry Kane, will do a side foot kuckleball free kick that ronaldo, a much better footballer, did successfully one time

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
oh look it's gone out for a throw

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Nice Freudian slip matey! Got something on your mind much? Wife seem cold, distant, acting suspiciously? Talk to me

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Breath Ray posted:

Nice Freudian slip matey! Got something on your mind much? Wife seem cold, distant, acting suspiciously? Talk to me

haha wife distant? i wish! am I right

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
England fans were not nice to their players, not nice to fans of other countries, and not nice to the host cities. Maybe they should adjust their attitudes and the team would do better. No one is going to play well if their own supporters are ready to get on their backs.

Also, Phil McNulty of the BBC also wrote this "who goes and who stays" article that I think is incredibly misguided:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36655089

There are so many glib statements that certain players have to stay without real justification, especially with Rooney. Why not use Rooney as an impact substitute instead of trying to fit him into the midfield? He still has something to offer but it's not as a playmaking midfielder. It's almost like Perez interfering with Real Madrid. Do people in the FA play a similarly intrusive and unconstructive role?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Rooney is just about the player least suited to being an impact sub that I can imagine.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Brony Car posted:

England fans were not nice to their players, not nice to fans of other countries, and not nice to the host cities. Maybe they should adjust their attitudes and the team would do better. No one is going to play well if their own supporters are ready to get on their backs.

Also, Phil McNulty of the BBC also wrote this "who goes and who stays" article that I think is incredibly misguided:

There are so many glib statements that certain players have to stay without real justification, especially with Rooney. Why not use Rooney as an impact substitute instead of trying to fit him into the midfield? He still has something to offer but it's not as a playmaking midfielder. It's almost like Perez interfering with Real Madrid. Do people in the FA play a similarly intrusive and unconstructive role?

There was no trouble once Russia left the tournament.

England fans are blameless.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

There was no trouble once Russia left the tournament.

England fans are blameless.

Let's not whitewash their crimes. They did cheer for England after all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

This tournament proves that with organisation and team spirit a team can get pretty far with championship players. I think maybe we brought too many flair players along when you just need a couple. Mark Noble to lead the line in the world cup qualifiers this autumn.
Are you kidding, England had like a single flair player (Sterling). Everybody else were fairly conventional forwards and midfielders.

Lump it forward and defend for 90 minutes is a tried and true strategy. Not even half-joking that Allardyce would be a good England manager. The problem is England thinks it's better than this sort of tactic and it's not.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

peanut- posted:

Rooney is just about the player least suited to being an impact sub that I can imagine.

Why do you say that? I think it'd be the best way to take advantage of his scoring abilities and avoid the problems that come with his shaky fitness/stamina. Having him plug away in the midfield is a waste.

Vegetable posted:

Are you kidding, England had like a single flair player (Sterling). Everybody else were fairly conventional forwards and midfielders.

Lump it forward and defend for 90 minutes is a tried and true strategy. Not even half-joking that Allardyce would be a good England manager. The problem is England thinks it's better than this sort of tactic and it's not.

You're not wrong, but that tactic does start falling apart when you face another team that is happy to sit back and lump while you're the team that needs all the points. There are going to be plenty of "weaker" teams who will set up that way against England so you have to have some ability to impose a game on the other side.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 29, 2016

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I would argue that sterling, alli, sturridge and Wilshire are flair players ie without being able to dribble or anything they do needless back heels and hog the ball before releasing in desperation. Beckham and Gerrard and lampard never tried to beat their man they just passed/crossed it asap iirc

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

Why do you say that? I think it'd be the best way to take advantage of his scoring abilities and avoid the problems that come with his shaky fitness/stamina. Having him plug away in the midfield is a waste.

What impact does he have? I don't think he's terrible, but what part of his skill set is better suited to coming on in the 70th minute rather than starting?

No knackered defender or midfielder is going to be dismayed to see Rooney being subbed on.

If he can't play for 90 minutes then have him be a player that starts and gets subbed later.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

#tekkers

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
England Euro 2016: kuckleball

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
According to me mam big sam is to common for the fa to consider

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
According to NPR, Iceland were extra motivated because of how their country was treated when their economy melted down in 2008.

Just an FYI for future reference.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

peanut- posted:

But the point is there isn't some magic formation or manager that will solve the issue. They've all been tried, and none of them address the fundamental problem: England melt down the moment there is a shred of pressure. Hodgson is experienced even if he's not the greatest, he knows how to make basic tactical changes when his winger and his fullback are disrupting each other. England's players know how to show themselves for passes, play 1-2s and move the ball quickly in the face of massed defense. None of these players loft floating balls at the far post for their clubs.

So why do these most basic football skills desert the players and manager the moment they're representing England in a game that matters? Why do they just look clueless? They generally cruise through qualifying. They're clearly under the most paralysing pressure that we have to work out how to alleviate.

In that sense Allardyce might be decent because he stops his players having think really. He has a rigid system in which players know exactly what they should be doing, which might help. England's best tournament under Hodgson was 2012 when we were playing dire football, but at least it was structured and effective.

Can't see that the press would tolerate it for too long though, the complaints are what caused Hodgson to move out of his comfort zone and into the disasters of 2014 and 2016.

I've been saying similar things for a decade (I don't actually know what I'd do if England were good and won games, I guess I'd have to get a hobby). The whole thing is built on a bedrock of cunts, and if I was Rooney I'd be falling over myself to retire from international football and to spend my summers in Pattaya racially abusing a ladyboy while getting a rimjob taking the kids to Alton Towers instead of listening to 40,000 red-faced arseholes boo and whine and call into 606 to suggest you be dropped for Lewis McGugan, or some sixteen-year-old who's had four good games for Aldershot but will be written off by the time he's 20.

Yeah, gently caress it, I'll at least get a laugh out of watching Allardyce tell people to piss off.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
All of the media and pundits and fans are putting the boot in now about the madness of playing Rooney in midfield and having too many big names in the side rather than building a balanced team.

Conversely they are also all of the troglodytes who would lose their poo poo if Hodgson didn't play all of those big name players in favour of a more balanced side.

To be fair to him, he tried to build England more like a club side with a core of players who knew their jobs for England and then bringing in a few form players into it as necessary, but he lost his nerve and he ended up playing all of the strikers at the same time so as not to get shouted at by half the country for not playing one of the strikers who might have done a miracle thing.

GG and every other Italian can't figure out why Insigne doesn't get any playing time or why Motta is on the field, and it's because Conte seems to have a loving clue about building a team and a plan that's working and the balls to tell Italians to go gently caress themselves and let him get on with it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

GG and every other Italian can't figure out why Insigne doesn't get any playing time or why Motta is on the field, and it's because Conte seems to have a loving clue about building a team and a plan that's working and the balls to tell Italians to go gently caress themselves and let him get on with it.

This is true, and hell, I don't mind.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't think there was anyone anywhere who wanted rooney to start in midfield or wilshere be taken

maybe try an entirely english uncapped team with everyone else in the england setup be new so the fear that infects the place is gone because everyone who suffered it is. it will go as well as maradona having argentina play in la paz with no time to adapt but gently caress it

or slip them valium is it even on drug checks?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

peanut- posted:

Bet he can smash home a Subway like no one's business.

Brony Car posted:

The first two names in "Remain" are the first two names who should be gone, so I didn't read the rest.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 29, 2016

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lol if you think a single english poster here wanted rooney anywhere near the team

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The first two names in "Remain" are the first two names who should be gone, so I didn't read the rest.

who the gently caress wrote this garbage

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
All of the pundits and newspapers would have had a go at Hodgson if he didn't find space for Rooney. As would the fa and the me. potato people and he couldn't take it because he's a frail old man.

Lenin Riefenstahl fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2016

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

RideTheSpiral posted:

lol if you think a single english poster here wanted rooney anywhere near the team

I did, and I'm an important poster here on these only troll-free football forums

He wasn't great during the tournament, and hasn't been for a while, but every time Hodgson put together a team without him they looked worse, less dynamic and less creative

Before calling for England's only creative outlet to be dropped for good, consider that the player he's keeping out of the team is not Iniesta or Pirlo, but is in fact James Milner

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

who the gently caress wrote this garbage

Me or Phil McNulty depending on what you're referring to.

Brilladelphia
Jun 26, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I did, and I'm an important poster here on these only troll-free football forums

He wasn't great during the tournament, and hasn't been for a while, but every time Hodgson put together a team without him they looked worse, less dynamic and less creative

Before calling for England's only creative outlet to be dropped for good, consider that the player he's keeping out of the team is not Iniesta or Pirlo, but is in fact James Milner

He didn't play in the friendly vs Germany and we looked better for it

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I remember watching Joe Hart singing the national anthem before the match, and it scared me. There was an underlying insecurity to his whole performance. He has probably seen Italy play and tried his best to copy Buffon and the rest who sing their national anthem with heart and sincerity as a team but here was a man who was putting on a show. He tried to make himself seem tougher than he really was, like he wasn't afraid.

He didn't fool me though and I proclaimed, in the bedroom, that a "Hart fart" was likely. Alas, I was right.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's coming home.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I've never really understood why manager's are not bound by the same nationality rules as players. Getting Guss Hiddink to manage your national team (which I think every country has done at this point) seems to me fundamentally no different than Israel getting Messi to play for them, yet it's allowed. It's bonkers. Yeah, teams like South Korea would be even shittier because there aren't any good South Korean Managers, but isn't that the whole point of Internationals?

On topic, Guss Hiddink is available I've heard.

Wenger qualifies under all those rules. He's coming in, he will bench Wilshere forever, it's coming home.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Actually, Hamas Milner had the most assists of any English player in 2016. There's some advanced stats for you, no need to thank me.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I think it's fair to say Roy Hodgson made many mistakes regarding team selection, tactics and 'football fitness'. Also team cohesion, psychology and match preparation. Sorry for the truth bombs but it must be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

According to me mam big sam is to common for the fa to consider

Take my Juergen, please. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jurgen-klinsmann-england-job-comes-055708047.html

• Locked thread