Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

D'Addario NYXL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Uh, whatever's cheap from the big brands like Ernie Ball, D'addario, DR, etc because there's not a whole lot of difference in sustain and stuff but often a noted difference in feel from brand to brand. Just make sure to change your strings often.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The sustain issue has more to do with your setup or your playing. Try backing your pickups off a bit.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Would it be a good idea to get a dehumidifier for the office where I store my acoustic? I haven't measured the humidity or anything, but it's starting to feel awfully muggy. I'd keep it in one of the heat regulated parts of the apartment, but that's also where my cats could easily get at it. I also don't have a case for it, so would that make much of a difference humidity-wise?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I don't know about dehumidifiers, but if it keeps the room at the right level then it seems like a good idea to me! Humidity meters are pretty cheap.

FWIW i store my classical in one of these, I live in AZ and the humidity in the case is always perfect.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p2521-humicase-quotprotegequot.html

The humidifier puck it came with was garbage though, so I got a between-the-strings humidifier called "oasis" i think.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
According to screwing around in amplitube, apparently if you use an HM2 through a marshall that's plugged into a bass cab you take over just about every frequency from about 50Hz to 8kHz and don't need a bass player. There's a couple small dips on the around 300 to 500 but audibly the bass went from "ok I can make out what's going on" to "...And Justice For All" style bass mixing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

muike posted:

The sustain issue has more to do with your setup or your playing. Try backing your pickups off a bit.

Or get a compressor

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Spanish Manlove posted:

According to screwing around in amplitube, apparently if you use an HM2 through a marshall that's plugged into a bass cab you take over just about every frequency from about 50Hz to 8kHz and don't need a bass player. There's a couple small dips on the around 300 to 500 but audibly the bass went from "ok I can make out what's going on" to "...And Justice For All" style bass mixing.

That's what an EQ is for. Even if you just record the same piece twice and EQ one track with a low pass, one with high pass it'll sound better.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Verizian posted:

That's what an EQ is for. Even if you just record the same piece twice and EQ one track with a low pass, one with high pass it'll sound better.

I tried something like that but pre-EQ and it sounded like poo poo, so I'll try with post-EQ. It's just how that old death metal tone is, straight buzz saw with the mids scooped out a tad to be slightly less overbearing.

Here's the sample I used for testing, which is just a recent song with different amps.

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/office-space-hm2/s-R5VXv

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Would it be a good idea to get a dehumidifier for the office where I store my acoustic? I haven't measured the humidity or anything, but it's starting to feel awfully muggy. I'd keep it in one of the heat regulated parts of the apartment, but that's also where my cats could easily get at it. I also don't have a case for it, so would that make much of a difference humidity-wise?

Get a case and a gauge to measure humidity and go from there. You'll be much happier in the long run by keeping an acoustic in a case.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Stick a pack of silica gel in your guitar cases anyway, may as well

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Spanish Manlove posted:

I tried something like that but pre-EQ and it sounded like poo poo, so I'll try with post-EQ. It's just how that old death metal tone is, straight buzz saw with the mids scooped out a tad to be slightly less overbearing.

Here's the sample I used for testing, which is just a recent song with different amps.

I swear to god you are Jim Martin, I think I love you

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

I swear to god you are Jim Martin, I think I love you

Lol thanks dude. I just come up with dumb poo poo and try my hardest to make it sound the way I like it to.

So in further experimentation news I remembered about "drum reinforcement" or whatever it's called where you basically double the samples on the kick and snare to make them fuller. I took the lazy way out and just copy pasted the entire drum track into a new track called "reinforcement" then in superior drummer disabled everything but the kick and snare. Then did some volume mixing to get it nice and tight, something like -5.5dB for the reinforcements and 0.5dB less on the main track.

Then another thing I tried was mixing amps, so I copied each guitar track and made one set with the usual soldano model (what I've done on everything) and then the other set with the HM2 model. I'm not a huge fan of mixing a little HM2 into a soldano focused mix but the other way around with a little soldano into the HM2 mix was incredible and filled everything up nicely. I did a little experimenting of quad tracking where I mic'd up my little amp with my usual pedal setup and recorded two more takes and mixed them into to compliment the soldano and I loved it. The easy way around this will be to get a reamp box, but the hard and cheap way around this is to quad track stuff and pray to god I can get the mic in the same place every time (like putting masking tape on the grille).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Aren't you getting phase cancellation issues by just copy/pasting?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

muike posted:

Aren't you getting phase cancellation issues by just copy/pasting?

Whoops forgot about that. I fixed that issue by using a different snare/kick on the reinforcements. So like the main kit is a DW or something and I used a tama snare/kick on the copy pasted one and saved the second preset separately. That was a goofy little issue that I quickly figured out and forgot about.

Edit: when I render the songs to a wav file (no idea about file formats, I chose the default) it will display volume waveform thingy of the song and usually there's a lot of peaks and valleys that indicate I did a good job and there's dynamics in the song. However lately it's just a solid black line so I guess because I'm just trying silly poo poo it's become a wall of noise.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 28, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Lmao dynamics. If you want to be truly brutal like me then set the compressor on your mix bus to crush everything down to a single 20hz sine wave.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I literally do no bussing or mastering. I'm a barbarian. I do meticulously label tracks.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I sometimes add a small amount of compression on the master bus if things got totally out of control, but yeah probably best practice to fix that elsewhere if possible. Somewhat related, but I've been getting so much better crunch/rhythm tone since I've started doing mirrored eq on my rhythm tracks. I think that was discussed here recently. If not here's a good lesson on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt1MVJG8grY

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Either way my new goal for the summer is to make an EP better than Nails' new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJIT8mX2w-U

edit: the hardest part will be writing 1min30sec long songs compared to 8min droning epics and convincing a friend to do vocals.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 28, 2016

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Spanish Manlove posted:

This sounds pretty drat great to me. Very nice.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm finally getting into "real" solos by learning the one to Enter Sandman - it's not too hard to learn, but wow I didn't think my fingertips would get so damaged. I usually play chords and palm muted riffs, and rarely get above the 12th fret or do big bends. I'm very surprised at how hard it is to bend the 22nd fret! My fingers are hurting so bad, I thought years of rhythm playing would have formed great callouses but seems like you need to go another level to play lead...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

peter gabriel posted:

Stick a pack of silica gel in your guitar cases anyway, may as well

That's a dehumidifier only it's not two way!!!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Colonel J posted:

I'm finally getting into "real" solos by learning the one to Enter Sandman - it's not too hard to learn, but wow I didn't think my fingertips would get so damaged. I usually play chords and palm muted riffs, and rarely get above the 12th fret or do big bends. I'm very surprised at how hard it is to bend the 22nd fret! My fingers are hurting so bad, I thought years of rhythm playing would have formed great callouses but seems like you need to go another level to play lead...

When's the last time you had a full setup? Not only for string height (which sounds like it's all kinds of wrong) but also for intonation problems that may not have been evident when you were living below the 7th fret.

You also may want take this opportunity to back off to a lighter gauge for a while, since a change in gauge would require all the tweaks (truss rod, saddle height, intonation) anyway. Make it a little easier for your fingers to fing first, then kick it back up (with appropriate adjustments!) when you feel comfortable.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

After The War posted:

When's the last time you had a full setup? Not only for string height (which sounds like it's all kinds of wrong) but also for intonation problems that may not have been evident when you were living below the 7th fret.

You also may want take this opportunity to back off to a lighter gauge for a while, since a change in gauge would require all the tweaks (truss rod, saddle height, intonation) anyway. Make it a little easier for your fingers to fing first, then kick it back up (with appropriate adjustments!) when you feel comfortable.

Not in forever. I agree it's overdue! I had a bad experience last time I had it done (on another guitar), and am kind of wary now of paying money for a poo poo job. If anyone has recommendations for someone in Montreal I'll gladly take them. Thanks for the gauge suggestion too, I'll look into that!

Also any suggestions for solos that would be about the same difficulty as Enter Sandman? I often feel like it's either way too easy or way too hard...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Colonel J posted:

Not in forever. I agree it's overdue! I had a bad experience last time I had it done (on another guitar), and am kind of wary now of paying money for a poo poo job. If anyone has recommendations for someone in Montreal I'll gladly take them. Thanks for the gauge suggestion too, I'll look into that!

Also any suggestions for solos that would be about the same difficulty as Enter Sandman? I often feel like it's either way too easy or way too hard...

Anything from Iron Maiden like before Somewhere In Time, so from the self titled to Powerslave. They're simple songs with easy-ish solos that are kinda constructed in the same blues riff pattern as metallica's solos. However they're not all in a minor pentatonic so it's a nice step up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oteIujb8yoY&t=191s

edit: you should avoid any song that's longer than 5 minutes (or after powerslave) because those are where steve harris really let his prog rock influence shine or epitomize the sound of the 80s with all the synths and poo poo.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
So, I'll probably do a similar post in the punk thread, but there seems to be a lot of too-cool-for-school going on there, so I'll start here where people listen to each others' music.

It's been fifteen months and a lot of strange stuff, but The Dundalk Horror (or, as I like to call it, Chinese Dundalkracy) is finally coming out - our CD release show is in two weeks.

In a lot of ways, this one is my baby. When we recorded the last record, I'd only been in the band six months - I hadn't even picked out my costume yet! I only wrote three songs on that one, everything else was from my (many) predecessors. This time, I've written the music for 13 out of nineteen songs (counting the ten-second hidden track) and helped the other guitarist arrange two of his own. I'm more comfortable on the instrument , more confident taking the lead on ideas, and more invested this time around.

So, I want it to succeed. I don't mean financially or critically - I don't expect our trademark blend of cosmic horror, dick jokes, and backbiting local punk figures to be the next Sergeant Pepper. But I do want it to be heard. In itself, this is harder than you'd expect. Ever since we started our own label, our singer (the driving force behind the whole thing) has started getting real weird about putting anything online for free. I had to whine and beg just to get him to agree to share one song as a preview, and even then it was only because we'd already included it on the label podcast. He wanted to keep the album name and cover art totally secret until the release show. I can only think of five artists who could pull that poo poo off, and two of them died this year - and even they all got where they were by putting singles on the radio.

So, does anyone know any good ways I can get this out there? Zines, review sites, indie punk radio, whatever? I can send a ZIP of the full album, including artwork to anyone who wants to hear it, curious goons included. We just won't tell the guy in the luchadore mask who "leaked" it.

Here's the song I put up (and promised to pull down once the album is out, which I'm sure I'll totally do): https://soundcloud.com/blinding-eye-dog/reanimated
And like all guitar players, I'm all about talking what we used, how recorded it, yadda yadda.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

After The War posted:

So, does anyone know any good ways I can get this out there? Zines, review sites, indie punk radio, whatever? I can send a ZIP of the full album, including artwork to anyone who wants to hear it, curious goons included. We just won't tell the guy in the luchadore mask who "leaked" it.

Here's the song I put up (and promised to pull down once the album is out, which I'm sure I'll totally do): https://soundcloud.com/blinding-eye-dog/reanimated
And like all guitar players, I'm all about talking what we used, how recorded it, yadda yadda.

This is very much my poo poo. Vocals remind me a lot of Voodoo Glow Skulls :rock:

I've heard a lot of good things on podcasts I listen to about Distro Kid. It might help with (accidentally or simply playing the numbers game) reach a lot more people than you would have otherwise, and it's like $15 a year. I plan on giving it a try when I'm finally done recording vocals for my horror punk project.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fullroundaction posted:

This is very much my poo poo. Vocals remind me a lot of Voodoo Glow Skulls :rock:

I've heard a lot of good things on podcasts I listen to about Distro Kid. It might help with (accidentally or simply playing the numbers game) reach a lot more people than you would have otherwise, and it's like $15 a year. I plan on giving it a try when I'm finally done recording vocals for my horror punk project.

I'll add it to the list, thanks! Had a feeling you'd dig it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

I booked Voodoo Glow Skulls for a venue this year!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

I booked Voodoo Glow Skulls for a venue this year!

Holy poo poo they're still doing their thing? That's awesome :black101:

So, this is cracking me up. I sat down to do a quick recording of a punky idea I had (punk without power chords was my mantra for this) and I used a gospel patch to sloppily record the vocal melody.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-novak-5/punk-with-gospel-synth-vocal-melody

I don't know why but I literally can't stop laughing. Excuse the poor mix I just couldn't help myself.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Album when?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AlphaDog posted:

Album when?

No kidding, turn this into a band and you're welcome on our label.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Got my first jam with other people in 6 months tonight, exciting!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I got my taxes back, which means I just bought the Black Winter set. Will bring them by the local shop next week when they come in. Sooo excited for this.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
For those who don't have it, Rocksmith 2014 is on sale right now for $10 on steam. Cable's not included, obviously, but if you were eyeing it and looking for a reason to pull the trigger, now's a good time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Spanish Manlove posted:

For those who don't have it, Rocksmith 2014 is on sale right now for $10 on steam. Cable's not included, obviously, but if you were eyeing it and looking for a reason to pull the trigger, now's a good time.

Yeah, and Ubisoft store has the cable for $30 + $6 shipping, so you can be all in for under $50

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I dunno, I once read on the Steam forums that gently caress YOU UBI$OFT :argh: Or something like that anyway

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, and Ubisoft store has the cable for $30 + $6 shipping, so you can be all in for under $50

That's not all that bad. Do you need the specific rocksmith cable or can any 1/4 to USB work fine?

(or alternatively does it recognize USB interfaces?)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's not all that bad. Do you need the specific rocksmith cable or can any 1/4 to USB work fine?

(or alternatively does it recognize USB interfaces?)

You need the RS one due to patented gently caress YOU UBI$OFT DRM in the cable itself.

EDIT: You can sometimes find old copies of RS1 on sale with the cable included for ~$10, so keep an eye out for that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Needs to be the specific Rocksmith cable. 1/4 to USB adapters generally assume line level, and instrument level is WAY lower voltage. Also RS looks for the specific USB ID. There are apparently some driver hacks out there to make other inputs work, but they all seem pretty janky.