Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not apt enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not apt enough

boo this man

booooooooooooooo

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

I made this during a vendor meeting today. For you

Full buzzword bingo card without "internet of things", "ransomware", "hunting", "purple teaming", "data science", "CYBER DECEPTION", "machine learning", "elastic search THAT SCALES", "machine learning", "no really MACHINE LEARNING", "EDR". You disappoint me (jk <3). I'll end with "cyber enabled economic warfare".

This industry is in a bubble at the moment, if you don't already have a security specific job RIGHT NOW (and you want one), apply to one of the million open jobs and don't stop learning until the bubble pops and we're on the same level as enslaved software engineers managing offshore resources that took our original jobs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd like to read about best practices for key/certificate management for IoT devices. I'm researching developing a device and it seems like there are a lot of pitfalls to avoid. Can someone recommend a book or good web resource?

e: Had a conference call and of course the potential customers don't think they could possibly be the target of hacking and even if they were it wouldn't be a big deal. :/

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 10, 2016

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
loving AV poo poo merchants must die in a toxic chemical fire.
In this particular case, webroot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

loving AV poo poo merchants must die in a toxic chemical fire.
In this particular case, webroot.

See also: McAfee

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We're gonna need a bigger toxic chemical fire.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Suggestions for a CISSP study guide? The official one good?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I've been using Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide almost exclusively and I think it's well done. Far less dry than the old Shon Harris one.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
I'm not sure of the best way to word this, but does anyone have a good tool for letting me test what ports are open through a firewall when I have no control of the firewall, but have control of both sides?

I keep asking my company's firewall team to open a large number of ports between ranges, but they keep only doing half of what I ask and I don't find out until another group comes to me and asks "Why doesn't SNMP or some such work for device in range A, but does for device in range B?" and I find out security only half did the request. I have a bunch of monitoring/jump servers (outside) and a bunch of managed devices (inside) from a crap ton of different vendors. The issue is not every device "behind" the firewall uses every port and I can't even get a good list of which ones need what. My plan is to have laptops or something set up behind the main firewalls and nmap from some important servers outside. I can do a full tcp/udp port scan from the outside servers, but I am looking for something to listen on all TCP and UDP ports on the inside and report what can TCP handshake and what can be received via UDP. I think I will also need to test in the other direction.

A buddy showed me http://portspoof.org/ which looks like it can get me TCP. Does anyone have something similar for UDP, or a better tool, or am I XYing this problem?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

the real blah posted:

I'm not sure of the best way to word this, but does anyone have a good tool for letting me test what ports are open through a firewall when I have no control of the firewall, but have control of both sides?

I keep asking my company's firewall team to open a large number of ports between ranges, but they keep only doing half of what I ask and I don't find out until another group comes to me and asks "Why doesn't SNMP or some such work for device in range A, but does for device in range B?" and I find out security only half did the request. I have a bunch of monitoring/jump servers (outside) and a bunch of managed devices (inside) from a crap ton of different vendors. The issue is not every device "behind" the firewall uses every port and I can't even get a good list of which ones need what. My plan is to have laptops or something set up behind the main firewalls and nmap from some important servers outside. I can do a full tcp/udp port scan from the outside servers, but I am looking for something to listen on all TCP and UDP ports on the inside and report what can TCP handshake and what can be received via UDP. I think I will also need to test in the other direction.

A buddy showed me http://portspoof.org/ which looks like it can get me TCP. Does anyone have something similar for UDP, or a better tool, or am I XYing this problem?

http://scanme.nmap.org/

Run nmap against this.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

These devices are not going to be able to get to the internet. I'm testing from one (mostly) internal network to another (completely) internal network. The dumb thing is that it passes through a third internal network (very briefly, and by mandate) that has the firewall I can't control.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

sudo nmap -n -PN -sT -sU -p- remote_host

Run nmap against this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And capture traffic on the target host so you can detect asymmetric blocks.

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

And capture traffic on the target host so you can detect asymmetric blocks.

If you really can't get the firewall configs this is probably the best way to go. Honestly I wouldn't even mess around with the port spoof, I'd just run a packet capture on the remote host or use a little network tap (best option IMO - and so useful/cheap) north of the remote host and hit it on all ports.

Couple of thoughts on this:
- You're only going to be testing that exact src/dest host combo. For all you know the admins could have put a rule to deny <your ip>:any to <any ip>:any just to ensure your test shows they are secure. More likely - there are certain segments with more permissive access than the one you're testing from/to.
- To fix the above issue and keep the portscanning plan - if you can capture PCAP on the outside interface of the last firewall you're concerned with, scan all segments.
- UDP scans generally suck - I'd definitely want the pcap.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Successful execution of mimikatz (not via metasploit) on an end-point is not a threat according to webroot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I didn't see it here, but the other infosec thread is talking about AV again. :allears:

MiniFoo posted:

quote:

On Linux, Mac and other UNIX platforms, this results in a clean heap overflow as root in the Symantec or Norton process. On Windows, this results in kernel memory corruption.

Because Symantec uses a filter driver to intercept all system I/O, just emailing a file to a victim or sending them a link to an exploit is enough to trigger it - the victim does not need to open the file or interact with it in anyway. Because no interaction is necessary to exploit it, this is a wormable vulnerability with potentially devastating consequences to Norton and Symantec customers.

An attacker could easily compromise an entire enterprise fleet using a vulnerability like this. Network administrators should keep scenarios like this in mind when deciding to deploy Antivirus, it’s a significant tradeoff in terms of increasing attack surface.

:vince:

flosofl posted:

Hahaha

quote:

Symantec dropped the ball here. A quick look at the decomposer library shipped by Symantec showed that they were using code derived from open source libraries like libmspack and unrarsrc, but hadn’t updated them in at least 7 years.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you missed the best part: first time a poc was sent to them it crashed their mail servers as they were actively scanning incoming attachments

Tell me again why AV is good? :laffo:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

I didn't see it here, but the other infosec thread is talking about AV again. :allears:

:vince:

Tell me again why AV is good? :laffo:

MF_James posted:

but it opens you up to other vulnerabilities! GOD DON'T YOU loving GET IT.

Because running windows, linux, iOS, a router, X brand firewall, and the other 100000 software/hardware things you run don't make you vulnerable to poo poo, it's clearly only AV that could possibly be opening you up to vulnerabilities.

oh wait it's just that other vulnerabilities aren't getting headlines, or, more likely, the good ones that affect X appliance/application aren't known by more than a few "hackers" and they keep them secret so that they don't get fixed.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Patch your systems. Don't run 3rd party AV because it's probably not stopping anything, but if you really really want to, keep that patched that as well.

AV vulnerabilities are especially scary because of things like filter drivers and because they run with system/root privs - most vulns require the user to actually do something to get infected and run at the user level.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 29, 2016

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm yes, install known bad software because maybe other software is bad too.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

wyoak posted:

AV vulnerabilities are especially scary because of things like filter drivers and because they run with system/root privs - most vulns require the user to actually do something to get infected and run at the user level.

Just to drive the point home, I posted this in another thread:

Kaspersky Antivirus ThinApp parser stack buffer overflow
Kaspersky Antivirus DEX file format parsing memory corruption
Kaspersky Antivirus RAR file format parsing memory corruption
Kaspersky Antivirus ZIP file format use after free vulnerability
Kaspersky Antivirus VB6 parsing integer overflow
Kaspersky Antivirus CHM parsing remote stack buffer overflow
Kaspersky Antivirus ExeCryptor parsing memory corruption
Kaspersky Antivirus PE unpacking integer overflow
Kaspersky Antivirus UPX parsing remote memory corruption
Kaspersky Antivirus "Yoda's Protector" unpacking remote memory corruption
Kaspersky Antivirus DEX file format memory corruption
Kaspersky Antivirus Virtual Keyboard GetGraphics() Path Traversal
Kaspersky Antivirus incorrect %PROGRAMDATA% ACL
Kaspersky Antivirus multiple memory corruption issues
Kaspersky Antivirus Certificate handling path traversal
Avast Antivirus: X.509 Error Rendering Command Execution
Avast: integer overflow verifying numFonts in TTC Header
Avast: JetDb::IsExploited4x performs unbounded search on input
Avast: heap overflow unpacking MoleBox archives
Avast: OOB write decrypting PEncrypt packed executables
Avast: stack buffer overflow, strncpy length discarded
FireEye: Wormable Remote Code Execution in MIP JAR Analysis
Avast: authenticode parsing memory corruption
FireEye: Privilege Escalation to root from Malware Input Processor (uid=mip)
AVG: "Web TuneUP" extension multiple critical vulnerabilities
Avast: A web-accessible RPC endpoint can launch "SafeZone" (also called Avastium), a Chromium fork with critical security checks removed.
TrendMicro node.js HTTP server listening on localhost can execute commands
Avast: Sandbox/Autosandbox Message Filtering Vulnerable to MS13-005
Comodo: Comodo Internet Security installs and starts a VNC server by default
Comodo: Comodo "Chromodo" Browser disables same origin policy, Effectively turning off web security.
Comodo: Comodo "Chromodo" Browser disables same origin policy, Effectively turning off web security.
MalwareBytes: multiple security issues
Comodo Antivirus Heap Overflow in LZX Decompression
Comodo: Integer Overflow leading to Heap Overflow in Win32 emulation
Comodo Antivirus: Emulator Stack Buffer Overflow handling PSUBUSB (Packed Subtract Unsigned with Saturation)
Comodo: Integer Overlow Leading to Heap Overflow Parsing Composite Documents
Comodo: LZMA Decoder Performs Insufficient Parameter Checks, Resulting in Heap Overflow
Comodo: Heap underflow parsing PE section headers
TrendMicro: A remote debugger stub is listening in default install
TrendMicro: Multiple HTTP problems with CoreServiceShell.exe
Symantec Antivirus multiple remote memory corruption unpacking RAR CVE-2016-2207
Symantec: Remote Stack Buffer Overflow in dec2lha library CVE-2016-2210
Symantec overflow modifying MIME messages CVE-2016-3644
Symantec: Integer Overflow in TNEF decoder CVE-2016-3645
Symantec/Norton Antivirus ASPack Remote Heap/Pool memory corruption Vulnerability CVE-2016-2208
Symantec: missing bounds checks in dec2zip ALPkOldFormatDecompressor::UnShrink CVE-2016 -3646
Symantec: PowerPoint misaligned stream-cache remote stack buffer overflow CVE-2016-2209

These 54 vulnerabilities (some are grouped together but I won't split hairs) were all found since June of last year by a single person. Many of these vulnerabilities were caused by really, really dumb decisions or mistakes that have no business being in a "security product".

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Corporate AV mandates will likely never die but the level of scrutiny at least seems to be doing something. Symantec says their next major release will be removing system/root privs from the sandbox which should lower the risk created by lovely coding and the other vendors are likely to follow suit if Symantec does something like that.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wait so are they saying that they will no longer use a filter driver for I/O interception?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

No, and that's likely going to have kernel access and continue to be a target.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

Just to drive the point home, I posted this in another thread:

These 54 vulnerabilities (some are grouped together but I won't split hairs) were all found since June of last year by a single person. Many of these vulnerabilities were caused by really, really dumb decisions or mistakes that have no business being in a "security product".

I didn't want to continue the topic in that thread because it's kind of a shitshow. Is that person the most prominent in the field? It just seems weird that there's a list by a single person rather than a group. Do people generally work by themselves in the whole security research field (if that's the right term?

That's kind of terrifying, tbh. Are there any other types of "security" programs that have major vulnerabilities?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He works for Google's 'Project Zero' and as far as I know he decided to look at AV products out of personal interest. And it seems to always have big payoffs so why stop.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015
What advice would you give to people running Windows 8 or 10, with the built-in AV that tries as hard as it can to stop you from disabling it?

Assuming, I mean, that most people in this situation (say, my parents) aren't going to have the technical knowledge to mess with registry hacks and such to force-disable it anyways.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Avenida posted:

What advice would you give to people running Windows 8 or 10, with the built-in AV that tries as hard as it can to stop you from disabling it?

Assuming, I mean, that most people in this situation (say, my parents) aren't going to have the technical knowledge to mess with registry hacks and such to force-disable it anyways.
Best advice you can give them is to leave it alone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Leave it on, make sure Windows Update is set to install rather than endlessly prompt, don't run as an admin.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The only place I've seen defender really fall on its rear end is malicious firefox extensions, I think MS doesn't bother to track those at all.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Is anyone else just fascinated by the security implications of using a remote controlled robot with some sort of detonator and bomb attached to it to execute a human? I'm trying to learn more about how these EOD or other robots are controlled, what sorts of protocols, encryption, etc. and finding basically no info at all. Seems like the implications are insane if there are any vulnerabilities, and unless everything is wired there will be vulnerabilities.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

Is anyone else just fascinated by the security implications of using a remote controlled robot with some sort of detonator and bomb attached to it to execute a human? I'm trying to learn more about how these EOD or other robots are controlled, what sorts of protocols, encryption, etc. and finding basically no info at all. Seems like the implications are insane if there are any vulnerabilities, and unless everything is wired there will be vulnerabilities.

Well, the US drone program seems to work quite well.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

lol did they ever get around to encrypting the video feeds on Predator drones?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

18 Character Limit posted:

Pretty sure they just had an explosive and a bomb disposal robot on hand, leading someone to have a light bulb go off in their head about the potential application. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been done before. Hell, I've been surprised that no terrorists have tried something similar with RC cars/planes over the last decade.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh boy password managers!

I've been using LastPass for a while and obviously that has a few trust / external point of failure problems, so I've been looking at things like KeePass as an alternative. I know a lot of y'all security professionals use it, with apps like Keepass2Droid or whatever on Android.

Can anyone explain why that's OK from a security perspective? I know you're basically trusting the KeePass software in the first place, but how can you trust these free third-party apps on your phone? You're letting them have full access to your password database and credentials, right? It feels potentially really sketchy (nothing against these particular app devs) and I'm just curious why some of you who are really serious about security are happy to use this kind of setup. Why's it sufficiently trustworthy, or whatever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Actually, on the same topic, I'm thinking of migrating from last pass to 1password, but using their cloud sync stuff + browser integration, since that's my big use case. Has anyone done an analysis of what they do, and how it compares to last pass?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

As far as I'm aware 1password is like a KeePass setup (where everything's done locally and you just sync the encrypted database to any device that wants to use it) except it's a total solution. So they run a syncing service, they make apps for different devices, they make browser plugins etc, and you trust them because you're paying for this product, and it should all work nice because it's a professional company developing it

LastPass provides their own suite of apps too, but the actual password management happens on their servers instead of locally, so that's the main difference and why there are a bunch of issues and extra potential risks involved

I think that's basically the deal anyway - or were you asking more about a review of the user experience? I'd be interested in that too, I'd like to get relatives using LastPass because it's better than nothing, but the browser plugin messes up in some really weird ways sometimes, and I'm not comfortable recommending something that I have trouble janitoring myself

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 11, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

As far as I'm aware 1password is like a KeePass setup (where everything's done locally and you just sync the encrypted database to any device that wants to use it) except it's a total solution. So they run a syncing service, they make apps for different devices, they make browser plugins etc, and you trust them because you're paying for this product, and it should all work nice because it's a professional company developing it

LastPass provides their own suite of apps too, but the actual password management happens on their servers instead of locally, so that's the main difference and why there are a bunch of issues and extra potential risks involved

I think that's basically the deal anyway
1password doesn't have a syncing service, you either sync over your LAN or via Dropbox, which is part of the appeal for me (eggs in baskets etc). Their developers seem responsive and intelligent so I trust them, and the products work really well (the iOS app is the best mobile password app I've used).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It says they do for 'families and teams' which I'm assuming means it's a bonus option for those tiers
https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

It doesn't really say how it works but it sounds like automatic cloud sync. Looks like they have WiFi sync too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

wyoak posted:

1password doesn't have a syncing service

They do but it's fairly recent