Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is called the Vampire Death Star. Essentially you make an army of Wraiths and Crypt Horrors formed into a messy horde, with a Necromancer inside healing them. Their low HP value means that boosted Nehek is twice as effective at keeping the Wraiths alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I want flame cannons to be more like a giant flamethrower rather than an artillery piece that shoots fireballs. Short range but shoots a stream of fire for 10 seconds at high DPS.

A faction that primarily fights orcs should have weapons that roast low-armor infantry hordes

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have an issue where Steam always says the game is running even when it's not? It's the only game in my library that does this. I have to close Steam on the task manager to play every time.

When I get this with a steam game it's always because the process is still running in the background. Just open task manager, head to processes and end the warhammer one

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Did I miss it, or was there nothing about the raise dead bug?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Flamethrower Irondrakes are already a thing though. A thing that could really use a shorter reload time or something, but still.

Flame Cannons are actually pretty neat looking in how they work, if they get buffed into being useable I'll be pretty happy with them.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gejnor posted:

I wonder how much they are going to buff them, damage wise. Same with range actually, looking at current stats they are pretty darned short range at 150. They could easily double both damage and range and that'd make them quite decent without feeling OP i think, and thats quite alright given that they are supposed to be top tier units for the dwarfs.

Flame cannons already do a lot more damage than other dwarven artillery, a large portion of which is explosive. They would be broken as poo poo with double damage or double range, never mind both.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just buff the upgrade that increases their range. It's at the end of that branch of the research tree, so by that point You're already in late game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fangz posted:

I think making them backline units that can shoot over friendlies will help a lot, and might be enough on its own. Especially if you can shoot into melee.

Yeah backline with boosted range is going to do a hell of a lot, I can see them being useful as "mob-snipers", have them torch soft target before the lines hit, then aim them at clumps of archers or ranged cavalry while the lines are engaged.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is direct damage magic actually any good now

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

Flame cannons already do a lot more damage than other dwarven artillery, a large portion of which is explosive. They would be broken as poo poo with double damage or double range, never mind both.

I was thinking in terms of Hellfire Cannons when i wrote that who have about twice the damage (493 damage, 420 range), only thing is that they also only come 1x per unit so yeah i get how crazy that sounds damagewise however i do still stand by the range upgrade. 150 yards is waay too short range and even 300 is still on the shortrange side of things given that both cannons and grudgethrowers are 420, and organ guns are 275.

Also, once the lines meet up, your artillery becomes much more limited since they usually can't fire into the melee ranks, so giving them a 'decent' range isn't op, its nearly mandatory imo, especially again when all is said and done they are supposed to be the top tier unit of artillery for dwarfs.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

It would be neat if it was possible to mount artillery to walls in siege defense

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
horse mauraders got....buffed???

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mans posted:

Yeah I'm surprised there's no more gnashing of teeth over that!

Also surprised there's not much love for "Reduced the rank requirement of the grudge to rank up a Master Engineer from 15 to 10," there are at least three posters in this thread with old savegames they should be able to load and get a long victory for in short order as a result of this!

e: also "Fixed an issue where if an embedded agent was selected, selecting the army again on the campaign map wouldn't reselect the general/army, which could lead to accidentally moving the agent out of army," is a thing I would do all the loving time because I apparently am unable to learn certain things.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mans posted:

I kind of wish they got a -speed in the notes so that it made them better in a straight punchup but worse at the kiting the AI likes to do with them. Make it a lot easier for light cav and beasts to catch them rather than taking a jolly romp through the entire map.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Flame Cannons, yes. Maybe now I can take Thunderers in my main armies.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I'm surprised there's no more gnashing of teeth over that!

Also surprised there's not much love for "Reduced the rank requirement of the grudge to rank up a Master Engineer from 15 to 10," there are at least three posters in this thread with old savegames they should be able to load and get a long victory for in short order as a result of this!

Already got mine :v: It's very easy to level an agent up when there's a weak, agentless army nearby and you're at the point of the game where you're just spamming end turn

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gejnor posted:

I was thinking in terms of Hellfire Cannons when i wrote that who have about twice the damage (493 damage, 420 range), only thing is that they also only come 1x per unit so yeah i get how crazy that sounds damagewise however i do still stand by the range upgrade. 150 yards is waay too short range and even 300 is still on the shortrange side of things given that both cannons and grudgethrowers are 420, and organ guns are 275.

Flame Cannon explosions do about 70% of the damage an organ gun does on a direct hit. If they had enough range to repeatedly hit approaching infantry they would annihilate them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I kind of wish they got a -speed in the notes so that it made them better in a straight punchup but worse at the kiting the AI likes to do with them. Make it a lot easier for light cav and beasts to catch them rather than taking a jolly romp through the entire map.

They also made dogs faster so kiting should be less of an issue.

OTOH, they nerfed Goblin Archers and Spider Riders for completely inexplicable reasons.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fangz posted:

Whuh? I thought it was agreed that wraiths were weak?

I certainly didn't say they were in my faction focus. They're hit or miss, their weakness is they crumble easily if outmanuevered but they'll beat any armoured unit in the game cost effectively. They do poorly when you have just one unit or whatever tossed into a fight but when you have a block of them with characters sitting on them spamming invocation, they're almost impossible to kill. It's beatable but it's something Undead players are starting to experiment more with.

You don't even need to deathstar them as mentioned above. I use them against dwarves consistently since none of the dwarven units easily counter them and they're a counter against their entire roster.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 29, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

madmac posted:

OTOH, they nerfed Goblin Archers and Spider Riders for completely inexplicable reasons.

yea.. they weren't really super strong or anything

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yukitsu posted:

I use them against dwarves consistently since none of the dwarven units easily counter them and they're a counter against their entire roster.

This is hilarious because in the tabletop game anything that had a good rule that magical weapons ignored got hosed by Dorfs because of their arsenal of Runed artillery would obliterate them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hemale in pain posted:

yea.. they weren't really super strong or anything

Goblin archers yes, spider riders archers... ehh. IMO Spider riders were one of the stronger ranged cav units, and probably still will be if only because of the poison.

Maybe wolf riders will be able to take on grudgethrower crews without routing now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

Yeah this is a little puzzling. I mean, goblin archers could do quite a bit of damage vs unarmored opponents due mostly to their large unit size, but I can't remember a situation where I thought they were in any way overpowered. I'm very disappointed about the nerf to spider riders, since I think they had a good niche in the greenskin army.

Also, fanatics need to be buffed in a big way. I've seen them smash through ranks of infantry without really inflicting any casualties. Currently they are pretty much just a gimmick that you need a T4 building to recruit for some reason. I think if they are going to leave fanatics alone they should get rid of the non-fanatic NG units, move the fanatic ones down to where they used to be (T2), and come up with another variety of black orcs (maybe with shields) for the T4 building.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

I certainly didn't say they were in my faction focus. They're hit or miss, their weakness is they crumble easily if outmanuevered but they'll beat any armoured unit in the game cost effectively. They do poorly when you have just one unit or whatever tossed into a fight but when you have a block of them with characters sitting on them spamming invocation, they're almost impossible to kill. It's beatable but it's something Undead players are starting to experiment more with.

You don't even need to deathstar them as mentioned above. I use them against dwarves consistently since none of the dwarven units easily counter them and they're a counter against their entire roster.

This is not my experience. I tested em 1v1 against greatswords, chaos warriors (both variants), longbeards, grave guard, and big uns. They lost every single time. These are very similar cost units, with some being cheaper than cairn wraiths.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vargs posted:

This is not my experience. I tested em 1v1 against greatswords, chaos warriors (both variants), longbeards, grave guard, and big uns. They lost every single time. These are very similar cost units, with some being cheaper than cairn wraiths.

I think they got hot fixed at some point. On release, they didn't seem to have the 75% physical resist that they were supposed to which made them completely unusable. Currently, they perform very well against things like great swords, chaos warriors and long beards, although I never use any unit 1 on 1, that would just be silly so maybe they still lose those.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

I think they got hot fixed at some point. On release, they didn't seem to have the 75% physical resist that they were supposed to which made them completely unusable. Currently, they perform very well against things like great swords, chaos warriors and long beards, although I never use any unit 1 on 1, that would just be silly so maybe they still lose those.

I literally just re-tested this stuff right now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm liking the look of these changes, should make MP a lot more bearable if they've actually fixed leader sniping with magic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mans posted:

This was the only change that made me really frown. Rest looks sweet.

No attempts at changing the Skaeling/Varg stuff on campaign either that I can see, sadly.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 29, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Don't forget that individual mans have HP. So when that block of nerds gets hit by your big ol' Hellcannon/Cannon/Spell/Fanatic damage is being done but individual dudes you think should be dead will get back up. That unit still has less aggregate HP though, and fewer dudes will get us after subsequent attacks and the unit will die faster in melee.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dandywalken posted:

No attempts at changing the Skaeling/Varg stuff on campaign either that I can see, sadly.

I've got my fingers crossed that the buff is for "Warriors of Chaos" marauders specifically, and not Norscans :shepicide:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Triskelli posted:

I've got my fingers crossed that the buff is for "Warriors of Chaos" marauders specifically, and not Norscans :shepicide:

They buffed warhound speed, so here's hoping chaos warhound a can now semi-hard counter marauders.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah it's odd.

1) fix lord sniping in MP (however you want)
2) fix the reinforcement bug
3) tone down the loving northmen

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
never tone down the northmen. every post complaining adds another stack of marauder cavalry

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

never tone down the northmen. every post complaining adds another stack of marauder cavalry

Do what I do, install a mod that gives their deliverance-rear end settlements the income they deserve.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vargs posted:

I literally just re-tested this stuff right now.

Don't know what to say. You can see people getting chronically wrecked by them in quick battles because they can't kill them, even without blobbing them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
As far as I can tell the only two LL changes are;

Mannfred gets even better with his Zombie Dragon

Dwarves can no longer get 'Likes Greenskins'

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There was some vague wording about rebalancing common lord/hero skills, that's probably the first thing I plan to check out after the patch hits.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Zore posted:

As far as I can tell the only two LL changes are;

Mannfred gets even better with his Zombie Dragon

Dwarves can no longer get 'Likes Greenskins'

Good, Kemmler was just too strong.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yukitsu posted:

Don't know what to say. You can see people getting chronically wrecked by them in quick battles because they can't kill them, even without blobbing them.

Ironically I've found the most effective is to just double(triple, quadruple) down on general sniping their Manfried and necromancer even harder than before. But they are shielded by their horde which makes magic missile hits very unreliable.

The natural idea of AOE or ranged fire vs the blob is not effective because they just heal through it. I tried dancing in and out of combat to try and waste their magic on regen (when they aren't fighting) but wraiths + crypt horrors have good speed so it's difficult to avoid them.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I'm playing as the Dwarfs and what's up with this bullshit Axe of Grimnir quest? It keeps taking 5,000 gold away every time I hit 10,000 gold until I get a gyrocopter in my army, but those are locked behind a tier IV and a tier V building. It's turn 14.

• Locked thread