Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess the most non-professional ink I use is Noodler's Ottoman Rose. Goulet's strategy of handwritten receipt notes totally worked on me and I had to buy a bottle, it's such a pretty deep pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'm digging Edelstein Topaz at the moment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Baystate Blue is very pretty. Just ignore the bit where it will eat your pens.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Baystate Blue is very pretty. Just ignore the bit where it will eat your pens.

Goulet has it in a 4.5oz bottle with a free Charlie :getin:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sailor Oku-Yama is dope, especially when you use it with a broad enough nub to get some sheen going.

R&K Solferino is a really nice, bright purple.

I've been playing around with a sample of Noodler's Habanero, it's a more orangey Apache Sunset, which makes it a little easier to read.

And then Emerald of Chivor, the base color isn't all that outrageous, but everything else about the ink is bananas.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I love Yama Budo, in a big fat wet nib. Best way to mark up contracts.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Thank god the actual physical pen shop near me only carries Private Reserve and the really expensive brands, otherwise I'd be out a lot more money. I'll have to poke around Goulet and see what strikes my fancy

howe_sam posted:

Sailor Oku-Yama is dope, especially when you use it with a broad enough nub to get some sheen going.

R&K Solferino is a really nice, bright purple.

I've been playing around with a sample of Noodler's Habanero, it's a more orangey Apache Sunset, which makes it a little easier to read.

And then Emerald of Chivor, the base color isn't all that outrageous, but everything else about the ink is bananas.

This is gorgeous :aaa:
Actually all the colors recommended are gorgeous, I have a lot more lemmings now

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
My fav purples so far have been R&K Scabiosa for a dusty purple, Diamine Imperial Purple for a bluer purple, and Iroshizuku Yama-Budo for a redder purple.

...also Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses is gorgeous if you've got a nice fat nib for it!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I greased the threads and set the feed with hot water and now the Charlie works great and doesn't leak. It is really smooth. But, I managed to bend both the section and the barrel when setting the nib, which makes it less of a victory. :downs: I suppose I need to buy another 4.5oz ink.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey would an ultrasonic cleaner be good for cleaning fountain pens or could they take damage from it?

After using fountain pens for some years I found the ones that have have staid with me are basically the pilot metro. All the noodlers ones I sorta think are trashy and don't work properly or need too much fiddling. I don't use them any more. I was also disappointed with the Kaweco Sport, it leaked.

I mainy use the Metro and the Pilot Plumix and with baystate blue or eel blue.

The Lamys also work, but just so boring somehow, I don't like to use them either.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ultrasonic cleaners are perfectly fine for fountain pens as long as you have a plastic inner basket.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Avoid ultrasonically cleaning Sheaffer inlaid nibs with it, however. The general wisdom of the FP community is that an ultrasonic cleaner can damage the bonding between the metal of the nib and the plastic of the section.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ultrasonic cleaners can also cause damage to some platings and materials. I strongly disagree with a blanket "it's fine for all fountain pens", although there shouldn't be an issue for most modern pens. My local pen store has one, so I've just taken pens there the once or twice I've felt like I needed one.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I only really find myself using my ultrasonic cleaner when I'm getting dried gunk out of vintage pen feeds. Shoddy electroplating is generally known to have problems with them. I can't think of anything I'd actually need it for other than gunky feeds, and getting the left over gold out of a feed after using a 1670 ink if I'm feel particularly neurotic. Everything else a polishing cloth, heavily diluted ammonia solution, and elbow grease works admirably.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
They're great for pens made of modern materials. Certain resins and celluloid need special handling, but your average Pilot Metro, Lamy Safari, etc are fine.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

atholbrose posted:

Ultrasonic cleaners can also cause damage to some platings and materials. I strongly disagree with a blanket "it's fine for all fountain pens", although there shouldn't be an issue for most modern pens. My local pen store has one, so I've just taken pens there the once or twice I've felt like I needed one.

I'd worry about how it would work with my Visconti HS, which seems to have a lot of different materials on it/in it

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Landsknecht posted:

I'd worry about how it would work with my Visconti HS, which seems to have a lot of different materials on it/in it

I've owned my HS for over two years, inked and in use constantly, and I've never even taken a polishing cloth to it. More than most, that is a pen that is all about the patina and usage patterns. Why would you need to put it in an ultrasonic cleaner?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Are there any titanium body, screw top pens with a clip that aren't super expensive?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I like turtles posted:

Are there any titanium body, screw top pens with a clip that aren't super expensive?

Define "super expensive".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Keep in mind that whole metal body pens (other than lowest-common-denominator Parker stuff and Chinese pens) are for some reason considered a super premium item by most manufacturers, and that Ti is one of the metals that's actually hard and expensive to work with beyond that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I kinda want to get a cheap JinHao with a really broad nib, like a 1.1 or 1.5, and get Baystate Blue and just not care because me pen was less than 10$ and 10$ for a nib

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 29, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

KKKLIP ART posted:

I kinda want to get a cheap JinHao with a really broad nib, like a 1.1 or 1.5, and get Baystate Blue and just not care because me pen was less than 10$ and 10$ for a nib

Do it, I'm pretty sure most of us have done the exact same thing.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

atholbrose posted:

I've owned my HS for over two years, inked and in use constantly, and I've never even taken a polishing cloth to it. More than most, that is a pen that is all about the patina and usage patterns. Why would you need to put it in an ultrasonic cleaner?

I like mine a lot, but I regularly have to lotion it up since I live in quite a dry climate

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

Do it, I'm pretty sure most of us have done the exact same thing.

yup, can recommend

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Landsknecht posted:

I like mine a lot, but I regularly have to lotion it up since I live in quite a dry climate

It puts the lotion on the pen or else it gets the eyedropper again?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Keep in mind that whole metal body pens (other than lowest-common-denominator Parker stuff and Chinese pens) are for some reason considered a super premium item by most manufacturers, and that Ti is one of the metals that's actually hard and expensive to work with beyond that.

This is because there are a shitload of extremely stupid North American consumers that equate higher weight with higher quality, even if the exact opposite is true.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

grack posted:

This is because there are a shitload of extremely stupid North American consumers that equate higher weight with higher quality, even if the exact opposite is true.

Because plastic just *screams* quality. :agesilaus:

Seriously though, the weight of a pen is not an indicator of quality. But it is nice to see a few companies who justify charging 200+ dollars for a pen by using materials that don't cost a few pennies.

By the way, some of my favorite pens barrels are made of aluminum. A lightweight, and corrosion resistant material (when anodized).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CrimsonSaber posted:

Because plastic just *screams* quality. :agesilaus:

It's not plastic, it's :airquote: Precious Resin :airquote:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

howe_sam posted:

It's not plastic, it's :airquote: Precious Resin :airquote:

is montblanc mold-injected?

I mean even the high end japanese stuff is usually machined ebonite

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I went in on the Massdrop a little while ago for 2 bottles of Diamine Shimmer (Blue Pearl, Golden Sands). (note: I was having a hard time finding golden sands in stock ANYWHERE so when I saw it on massdrop I just had to get it! ...I have too much ink :( ) The day it arrived I spent a lot of time shaking the bottles and looking at the pretty colors. A week later I finally got around to filling a pen with the Blue Pearl and... huh this is just regular blue? :doh: the shimmer/glitter settles to the bottom REALLY fast (minutes! I did not expect that.). Anyway, I love the shimmer and I once again wish I actually did any day to day writing so I could use it all. I hate writing in spiral notebooks with my fountain pens because it bleeds through really easily, but I also don't want to write mindless garbage on expensive notebook paper just so I can use up ink. What a dilemma.

Also, when I got my package I was rly excited and opened it as I walked back to my apartment, which I do pretty often with smaller packages. I pull out one of the bottles (in its nice little box) and immediately drop it on the concrete. Thankfully its fine! but as I reach down to pick it up the other bottle slips out of the package, on to the concrete. :doh: both bottles were fine but I deserved to have them both break. I dont deserve nice things.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

is montblanc mold-injected?

I mean even the high end japanese stuff is usually machined ebonite

Montblanc pens have (polished-out) seams in the plastic, as do most Japanese pens. Only the super high end bling from Japan isn't all mass produced high quality plastic.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's the key to getting crazy sheens in ink? Does it come down to a pen that shits ink? I think I have two candidates for that then, but I wanted to make sure. Does a flexible nib really have anything to do with it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Paper plays a big role too. You want something that doesn't absorb all that much ink.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the key to getting crazy sheens in ink? Does it come down to a pen that shits ink? I think I have two candidates for that then, but I wanted to make sure. Does a flexible nib really have anything to do with it?

Yeah, to a large extent it's about having a solid layer of dried ink. Even standard blue inks will be shiny on non-absorbent paper with a wet nib.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

blowfish posted:

Montblanc pens have (polished-out) seams in the plastic, as do most Japanese pens. Only the super high end bling from Japan isn't all mass produced high quality plastic.

I can get a hand-lacquered nakaya for less than most montblancs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

I can get a hand-lacquered nakaya for less than most montblancs

Yeah, totally, but I was talking more about quality and customisation grades rather than price grades (ps don't buy Montblanc).

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone use them for drawing and sketching? I have a heap of multiliners, but I like to switch up mediums to keep things interesting. In a pen I need consistent flow, and in ink I need to know how well it'll hold up to things being layered on it.

I had to learn a medieval script for a course in manuscript studies, and ended up with quite a collection of interchangeable nibs, but it's all the kind of thing where you're carefully dipping or dripping ink into the nib. It's all very elegant and was fine for proving my mastery of English Caroline Minuscule but it's tedious controlling the flow when I'm freehanding drawings instead of individual letters.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In my experience (which is not huge) fountain pen inks generally smear and smudge when over written. I think it is because they are water based. Even the bulletproof noodlers inks that bind with cellulose end up with a layer on top that doesn't get stuck to the page.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I don't because I'm a horrible artist, but plenty of people use various fountain pens for sketching and the like. I think Goulet had a thing about using them for sketching fairly recently, and there should be a section on JetPens for that sort of thing too. Assuming your pen's in proper working order and isn't empty, it should be fine in terms of flow, although that's kinda difficult to answer generally — plenty of feeds will keep up just fine if you are jotting down a shopping list, but if you start copying a passage from a book in cursive, you'll suddenly find that the flow's died in a half-page because more ink's gone out than air in. But in general, it'll be fine unless you're dead-set on coloring an entire sheet of paper blue in one go or something insane like that.

As for ink, if it's dried and you went over it with another pen in a different color, your first layer will probably stay put, but in general fountain pen inks won't hold up to a waterbrush or whatever, no. That said, Platinum's Carbon Black ink is apparently used in certain brush pens, and that will (once dry, of course) generally stay put, even if you were to break out your watercolors on top of it. It is a fountain pen ink, although you'd have to be careful to actually clean out your pens if you're going to not be using it for a while once its empty, and probably be twice as thorough clearing it out to change inks as you would normally. Beyond that, as taqueso said, there are various waterproof inks, and what'll stay behind vs. what'll get washed off depends entirely on the ink. That's the sort of thing you'd find in an ink review on, for example, fountainpennetwork, although usually what's being tested there is more "I submerged this paper in water," not "I went over this with a marker" or something.

This guy's wordpress has a bunch of ink reviews that might be of use, though. He reviews various inks for their interactions with water and bleach, mostly with a focus towards using them for artistic purposes, rather than writing. It's pretty cool stuff, really.

e. Also, a pretty major factor as to how your ink's going to behave (and probably how well or for how long (continuously)) your pen will flow is the paper you use; but I'm sure you can find recommendations for that.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So part one of my lovely Chinese pen + fat nib + Baystate Blue plan is in the works. Just ordered a Jinhao x750 and a #6 1.5mm nib. Next time I need to re-up on ink samples, I'll pick up some Baystate and have some messy, pen destroying fun.