Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Closets are the best. I use a closet basically at least once a game and that was only the second time I've ever been caught in one.

I still don't think that one was legit though. At no point did he ever even pretend he didn't know exactly where I was. I got away from the fight, walked to the shack and got in the closet. No heartbeat. Heartbeat. Heartbeat+Music. Killer turns the corner into the shack and runs straight to my closet and opens it.

Wasn't my standard strategy for closets though, I've mentioned how I normally use them. Closets are the equivalent of the DPS clearing threat in an MMO. When you blow a generator, especially while double-teaming it, hop in a closet before the heartbeat starts and it's really unlikely the killer's going to pass up your teammate in the open to start checking closets. Generators also mask the breathing.

I hope they get the fixes out but to be honest the current situation's such a mess I dunno if it'll be enough to turn things around. I gave up playing killer, it's a nightmare, and from survivor perspective I can see the quality degrading.

At first I usually saw three deaths minimum and often TPKs, nowadays I rarely see two deaths. Killers seem to be getting worse, the poo poo I can get away with gets more outrageous every game. The other day I was being chased as Claudette and I walked into a corner and crouched and the guy lost me. It may be that only new players are still playing killer and the experienced killers are dropping out. Almost all the killers I see are rank 20 with zero or one perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As bad as I am, my random checks for lockers near gens that are being worked on is surprisingly fruitful. Please don't malign killers till you can prove that poo poo, they can hear you if they get close to the locker.

Being killer is an exercise in getting less than 5k points when everyone escapes with 16k a piece now. Why play killer when you can just play survivor, a more fun experience and funnel points where ever you want?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Closets suck. You'll get caught too often just from killers randomly checking them when near a generator that's been worked on, let alone breathing noises and certain killer perks which make it very easy to find people in them. I guess it kind of makes sense as a desperation option, but it feels like they could be better somehow.

On a random note, I really like the idea of a boogeyman killer whose mechanic is some form of popping out of closets and giving people heart attacks.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
They don't seem to suck for me, but like I said I only use them when there's somebody else nearby for the killer to spot. If he sees us both he might pick me, but if I'm conveniently out of sight he'll pick the other and I can sneak away.

A stealthy teleporting killer would be neat, I was thinking a Disciple instead, who has the entity's favor and can teleport between hooks. Make him a spooky flagellant in a capirote. Perks that let him detect sabotage and punish saboteurs more easily.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why does this game of all games need ranking and points anyway? Been watching a few people play it and I don't really get why a score system should be implemented at all and not just be a cool killer game. I was tempted to get it but all I hear on the game is "how do I get more points" instead of folks laughing about cool plays or anything.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why does this game of all games need ranking and points anyway? Been watching a few people play it and I don't really get why a score system should be implemented at all and not just be a cool killer game. I was tempted to get it but all I hear on the game is "how do I get more points" instead of folks laughing about cool plays or anything.

Ignoring score and playing how you want is always viable.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Hell, that's how I prefer to play this game.

I stopped giving a poo poo about rank maybe a few hours after starting, since you basically need perks on either side to help climb the ladder. Ranks reset every month too from what I've read in the manual, so why bother obsessing over them.

I do decently as the killers but at the end of the day while I'm trying to win, I think providing an interesting/exciting experience for the other players is fun too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I keep hearing that the Wraith is pretty bad, but I dunno. I get the impression that if you sneak up behind a survivor when they have no heartbeat to warn them that you are close you can pretty easily ruin their day. That being said I've only been watching this game, haven't gotten it yet, so I might be missing something.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Wraith has the best addons and the best teachable perks, and will very likely be the top killer once window cheese is adjusted (if he isn't already).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because babies need their "progression" or whatever. I'd be very happy if everything was unlocked from the start. If I wanted to see numbers go up I'd play an RPG :v:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I keep hearing that the Wraith is pretty bad, but I dunno. I get the impression that if you sneak up behind a survivor when they have no heartbeat to warn them that you are close you can pretty easily ruin their day. That being said I've only been watching this game, haven't gotten it yet, so I might be missing something.

He's good at finding people with all of the perks. With the current state of the game though, he has no map control and coming out of stealth makes a racket and takes a few seconds before he can catch up. Smart players will hear him playing Cowbell Hero at the start of the map and only hit generators after checking for an escape route that inevitably includes pallets and window cheese. Trapper can at least punish some of that and Hillbilly can rev to 90% on his chainsaw and surprise burst people/Chainsaw through pallets.

And Bup seriously, closets are bad. The fact that you've only been grabbed once tells me you've never been anywhere near the killer when going into them because they're loud deathtraps. Between all the crap that I mentioned earlier, there's also the fact that occasionally the survivor's arm and head will stick out. Realistically he just heard you go into one and heard the whimpering when he went down there.

YouAreStoopud
Jul 14, 2002

Be Like Ike
I love this game (started as a survivor last night) and playing against a really good killer is loving terrifying.

That said, hook campers = lame.
infinite jukers = silly cocksuckers.
the disconnect crowd = please eat a dick.
people who fail skill checks constantly = I hate you.

I'm about 50/50 survival to death ratio at the moment, with my worst map being the cornfield. I'm just missing how to get better at that map. I don't have any good perks yet (Whoopi is only a level 10 and I'm a rank 19) so I've been taking the crate perk with me and raiding them for an infinite supply of... flashlights.

I get the point of trying to get BPs, but it seems like the killers I play against don't. I'm more than happy to go help teammates get unhooked as long as I'm not going to the sex dungeon to do it and let the killer get some chase in, and I'm also good with playing the 'escape door' game to help a killer out, but it seems like they're never smart enough to get it (they immediately run up to swing at me). Is there a universal hey, I'm trying to help you get points thing I can do?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YouAreStoopud posted:

I love this game (started as a survivor last night) and playing against a really good killer is loving terrifying.

That said, hook campers = lame.
infinite jukers = silly cocksuckers.
the disconnect crowd = please eat a dick.
people who fail skill checks constantly = I hate you.

I'm about 50/50 survival to death ratio at the moment, with my worst map being the cornfield. I'm just missing how to get better at that map. I don't have any good perks yet (Whoopi is only a level 10 and I'm a rank 19) so I've been taking the crate perk with me and raiding them for an infinite supply of... flashlights.

I get the point of trying to get BPs, but it seems like the killers I play against don't. I'm more than happy to go help teammates get unhooked as long as I'm not going to the sex dungeon to do it and let the killer get some chase in, and I'm also good with playing the 'escape door' game to help a killer out, but it seems like they're never smart enough to get it (they immediately run up to swing at me). Is there a universal hey, I'm trying to help you get points thing I can do?

If you go up against a wraith, go to cheese window and tea bag repeatedly. He'll start farming bell points if he is smart, eventually letting you do a generator or poo poo.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Hook camping is not worth complaining about. You have to get caught to be on the receiving end of it (already your fault), and even if that's the case, competent survivors will get 2-3 generators while the killer is stupidly camping you.

YouAreStoopud
Jul 14, 2002

Be Like Ike

Amante posted:

Hook camping is not worth complaining about. You have to get caught to be on the receiving end of it (already your fault), and even if that's the case, competent survivors will get 2-3 generators while the killer is stupidly camping you.

I find the cornfield specifically difficult to escape from with a killer hot on my heels. It's not like I'm falling into traps or running into chainsaws, it's just hard to find any cover to put space between you and the killer, unless you do the silly juke house thing. In other maps I do pretty well in out predicting the killer's movements by using the camera to see where he is and using terrain to my advantage.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New patch out 1.0.2

http://steamcommunity.com/games/381210#announcements/detail/951765661114719944

Hello people!

We have managed to put together a lof of very good changes and fixes that you have been asking for. The biggest changes you will see deal with quitters and disconnects. Leaving will not be a valid option anymore and players will not be penalized when someone else quits. They will get a pip.

We also tweaked the values of a few game elements we felt were unbalanced. Let us know what you think!

We are working as fast as we can to fix our game and improve it according to the way you play. We are sure there are a few bugs and issues that are left in there, we may even have added more by accident. We ask that you continue to give us your feedback and help us make this game better and better.

Here is the detail of what changed:

BALANCE CHANGES
Adjusted cooldown of "Sprint Burst"
"We'll Make It" now only affects healing others, and its maximum bonus has been reduced
Various balance changes to healing build perks, survivalist build perks and healing items
Adjusted spawn location weights for chests and generators
Adjusted various score values
Crows will now notify killers of survivors who bore the Entity by being too still for too long
The Wraith now has better things to do than cloak and uncloak repeatedly for points
Adjusted window vaulting mechanics for killers and survivors

MISCELLANEOUS CHANGES
"Spies from the Shadows" will no longer be triggered when the killer disturbs the crows
Added a 5 second delay before joining a new game after leaving lobby
Killers are now awarded sacrifice points if a survivor leaves the game
Killers are now awarded bonus points if a survivor disconnects
Unspent blood points are now capped
Adjusted certain matchmaking values
Various changes to basement, mine and blood lodge
Adjusted distortion effects during the sacrifice sequence
Adjusted smoke and materials when spawning characters
UI updates to the tally, loadout and inventory screens
The tally screen should now display the proper status for players that left or disconnected
Increased penalties for disconnecting or leaving a game

BUG FIXES
Fixed an issue which could cause "No One Escapes Death" to grant an incorrect attack cooldown reduction
Fixed an issue that could cause the killer's camera to clip when picking up a survivor
Fixed an issue that could cause loud noise indicators to be seen in the tally screen
Fixed an issue that could stop a survivor from running when pressing the item use button when no interactions are available
Fixed an issue that could cause the trapper's addons to only affect his starting trap
Fixed a matchmaking issue that could cause some players to be unable to play as the killer
Fixed an issue that could cause the survivor's HP (bleed out) bar to not update properly on the survivor's screen
Fixed an issue that could cause The Wraith to flicker when dissolving
Fixed an issue that could cause the wrong animation to play after picking up a survivor
Fixed an issue which could cause players not to derank after achieving rank 1
Fixed an issue which could block movement when The Hillbilly destroys an obstacle with the chainsaw
Fixed an issue where survivors couldn’t run away while getting healed
Fixed an issue which could cause players to get stuck on the hill
Various audio fixes
The Entity now manifests at the sacrificial hook in its proper glory

Currently, the team is working on the "survive with friends" mode as well as the chinese and russian translations. We are also constantly monitoring players and intend to address imbalances and bugs as they are discovered.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Awe yeah, sounds real good to me. Auto-pip for loser disconnects sounds eh but passable.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YouAreStoopud posted:

I find the cornfield specifically difficult to escape from with a killer hot on my heels. It's not like I'm falling into traps or running into chainsaws, it's just hard to find any cover to put space between you and the killer, unless you do the silly juke house thing. In other maps I do pretty well in out predicting the killer's movements by using the camera to see where he is and using terrain to my advantage.

The field of view is narrow enough for killer that I have had some juke by running in a diraction direction as a distraction and then ducking and crouch walking in another.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 29, 2016

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

Awe yeah, sounds real good to me. Auto-pip for loser disconnects sounds eh but passable.

I liek it, i've lost nearly 30 pips due to leavers or dcers. Also, if they leave you get the pip plus BP that could potentially earn you 2 pips in one match, sounds pretty rad to me.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Grognan posted:

The field of view is narrow enough for killer that I have had some juke by running in a diraction and then ducking and crouch walking in another.

There's basically two kinds of killers; there's the normal people like you and me this works against and then there's the people with the kind of target identification ability (to rapidly spot any movement or unusual texture) expected from any competitive shooter. You can tell when you're playing against the latter kind because they will spot you through four lanes of corn or notice the slight color difference in the crack between two crates you're crouching behind immediately, and they also are the people who will move around cover set pieces efficiently and constantly look in different directions than they are moving. Barring a lucky stun you can't actually hide from those people (cover set-pieces are wisely set up so it always takes very little time for a killer to check them, which is why they are made up of straight lines open in multiple directions and have cracks and slits) and depending on how they balanced windows this time it might be time to grab a killer and win every single game.

Not that this nerf was necessary to win every game, if you just took a protect-3 strategy to shrink the map to a tiny corner you already basically couldn't get worse than 3 kills unless you had multiple d/cs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bring on the DCers, looks like free points.

Also, I feel like I can't be the only person that is a bit offended when you rescue someone and they turn out to be garbage. Dude, I just risked life and limb for you, why did you just fail a generator skill check three times in a row?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UberJew posted:

There's basically two kinds of killers; there's the normal people like you and me this works against and then there's the people with the kind of target identification ability (to rapidly spot any movement or unusual texture) expected from any competitive shooter. You can tell when you're playing against the latter kind because they will spot you through four lanes of corn or notice the slight color difference in the crack between two crates you're crouching behind immediately, and they also are the people who will move around cover set pieces efficiently and constantly look in different directions than they are moving. Barring a lucky stun you can't actually hide from those people (cover set-pieces are wisely set up so it always takes very little time for a killer to check them, which is why they are made up of straight lines open in multiple directions and have cracks and slits) and depending on how they balanced windows this time it might be time to grab a killer and win every single game.

Not that this nerf was necessary to win every game, if you just took a protect-3 strategy to shrink the map to a tiny corner you already basically couldn't get worse than 3 kills unless you had multiple d/cs

Even then, sometimes you don't get 10k points to level up rank which just lol.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, you can't heal other people now. The bar does not go up.

Trapper now cannot put traps near windows, gens, hooks or pallets.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 29, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is this game easy to pick up and play? Is it well documented of itself or is this gonna be one of those games where you'd better have like five wiki tabs open at once (exaggerating but still)?

It looks like fun from watching various youtubers but that probably doesn't describe the average solo player's experience and they usually don't bother learning mechanics anyway

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Is this game easy to pick up and play? Is it well documented of itself or is this gonna be one of those games where you'd better have like five wiki tabs open at once (exaggerating but still)?

It looks like fun from watching various youtubers but that probably doesn't describe the average solo player's experience and they usually don't bother learning mechanics anyway

The game super easy to get into and learn. There is very little curve to it and you'll never need a wiki.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

Ok, you can't heal other people now. The bar does not go up.

Trapper now cannot put traps near windows, gens, hooks or pallets.

What is "near"? Do you mean right under or 5+ feet away?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What is "near"? Do you mean right under or 5+ feet away?

8-10 feet

It would be nice for Trapper to be able to trap hooks and chests such that when someone tries to sabotage or open them, they get caught. Screw your sabotage.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 29, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
that had better be a bug that's ridiculous

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Also, I feel like I can't be the only person that is a bit offended when you rescue someone and they turn out to be garbage. Dude, I just risked life and limb for you, why did you just fail a generator skill check three times in a row?

I am at my most self conscious when joining in on a generator repair. Please don't be that guy. Please don't be that guy. Please don't be that g-BOOM ...gently caress.

Also look at all those cool as hell changes up in that change log goddamn.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

8-10 feet

It would be nice for Trapper to be able to trap hooks and chests such that when someone tries to sabotage or open them, they get caught. Screw your sabotage.

drat, that must be a bug. Half the map would be off limits otherwise.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

3 pip loss for a DC. :woop:

https://twitter.com/DeviusQC/status/748279841015881728

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah might be time to play someone besides trapper for a few days to hear how much of the new trap mechanics are intentional. i've always liked putting them in tall grass or whatever but being real those traps don't catch a whole lot of dudes.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

A dev on reddit confirmed the traps at windows thing is a bug and will be fixed.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if some people are setting up rigged lobbies. A non-common thing to happen is to get to four people as Killer and then it resets again, usually when I see a batch drop in at once.

More common is getting to four people as survivor in the lobby and a dump to search again. I know exactly why that happens, I think there's a lot of killers burnt by the MLG rankaphiles survivor gimmicks because there isn't a way around them and it is hard to actually gain experience as killer because of it.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love this new patch. It makes killer actually fun to play. Just had 2 ppl rage quit on me, i got points, and then killed the last two people, which one then quit on the hook. I got more points for them quitting than if they where sacrificed.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Nebiros posted:

And Bup seriously, closets are bad. The fact that you've only been grabbed once tells me you've never been anywhere near the killer when going into them because they're loud deathtraps.

"The fact that you've never been shot tells me you've never shot yourself" Well yeah, I don't get in the closet when I know he's gonna hear me, that's obviously suicidal.

I wish the patch notes actually said what they did. Apparently windows take longer with successive jumps, which isn't gonna help a whole lot since the problem locations force you to take long routes around. Just makes the window for faking him out slightly bigger.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Bup posted:

"The fact that you've never been shot tells me you've never shot yourself" Well yeah, I don't get in the closet when I know he's gonna hear me, that's obviously suicidal.

I wish the patch notes actually said what they did. Apparently windows take longer with successive jumps, which isn't gonna help a whole lot since the problem locations force you to take long routes around. Just makes the window for faking him out slightly bigger.

They boarded up some windows so you can't jump through them repeatedly.

Edit: pig tree still has window cheese on farm map but eventually the survivor will be out paced by perfect play but it takes a while.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 30, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The only one of the bs perks I had was Sprint burst so I can't check the others. I see they nerfed Sprint burst but the patch notes don't mention the others (though they vaguely mention healing builds, that could cover self care I suppose?). I don't mind sprint burst being nerfed, because honestly the survivor perks were crazy and the game would have become straight up unplayable late in it's life when every survivor was rocking Sprint, Sabotage, and Self care. I do think it's insane that it looks like sprint burst was the only one they touched though? When I play killer Meg's speed is annoying, but it's the least of my problems compared to immortal Claudette's and not having any hooks on the map because of Jake. Did they really only nerf sprint burst and not the other two insane perks?
The patch notes are also pretty vague about what "changes to both survivor and killer window vaulting mechanics" means.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Self-care got nerfed along with the heal-boost perks like Botany Knowledge and We Can Make it(?) Saboteur is 30/40/50 now for speed which makes it pretty useless without a toolbox, which is fine with me.

The trapper issue is a confirmed bug.

Window cheese is not better. The worst places are just as bad and even if it's not it wastes just as much time which is the whole point of that trick.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

Self-care got nerfed along with the heal-boost perks like Botany Knowledge and We Can Make it(?) Saboteur is 30/40/50 now for speed which makes it pretty useless without a toolbox, which is fine with me.

This is good to hear. These are some really bad patch notes though eh? At least bad patch notes should be consistant. Like, if they're going to be vague they could say "made changes to survivor perks to improve balance" and at least I wouldn't have been mislead to believing they hadn't touched sabotage at all. By specifically mentioning some perks but not others...
I think "the wraith now has better things to do" might be the worst patch note I've ever seen, and I still have no clue what window mechanic changes are.

Glad the developers are trying to balance though.

• Locked thread