Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

C-Euro posted:

I've finally bought Morrowind on Steam and am going through the OP to make it mod-ready. I'm trying to set the .bsa files to 2002, but how the heck does the FileDate program in the OP work? Or there a better way to change the dates on those files?

I think Wrye Mash can do it.

Hey since we have a new page I might as well plug OpenMW again and share something I'm working on. I wrote a guide to straightforward Morrowind modding many years ago (lost to the mists of time) but now I've started putting one together again for OpenMW. I've found info on the Internet about compatibility of certain mods and such with OpenMW but nothing starting from scratch, and unfortunately most of the good Morrowind mod resources are out of date, have broken links, and so on. So I started writing this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1937605/morrowind-openmw-mods.html

It isn't very far along yet, but it does have links to mods in it and some organization, and I'll keeping adding to it when I have time. So far I've just gone through BTB's list and incorporated some info from a few Reddit posts and such, nothing comprehensive yet, and I haven't tested anything yet either.

hannibal fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

hannibal posted:

Thanks, that's way easier.

I installed Morrowind to a new C:\Morrowind folder but I'm still getting UAC pop-ups when I try to launch it (on Windows 10), both through Steam and directly launching the app. I've set both Morrowind.exe and the launcher exe to Run As Administrator but it's still happening. Is that supposed to happen or is there some issue that I missed?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, that's way easier.

I installed Morrowind to a new C:\Morrowind folder but I'm still getting UAC pop-ups when I try to launch it (on Windows 10), both through Steam and directly launching the app. I've set both Morrowind.exe and the launcher exe to Run As Administrator but it's still happening. Is that supposed to happen or is there some issue that I missed?

if you have the steam version you have to go through the steam launcher directly

what kind of UAC pop up? did you edit the exe at all with a large-address-aware patch or MCP? Are you running MGEXE?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mortimer posted:

if you have the steam version you have to go through the steam launcher directly

what kind of UAC pop up? did you edit the exe at all with a large-address-aware patch or MCP? Are you running MGEXE?

Sorry, this is on a clean install just going through the first four Steam install steps in the OP. This happened when launching it through Steam, it gives your bog-standard "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?". I click Yes and then it takes me to the Morrowind launcher, and from there I click Play and go right into the game (which pops up in this ugly windowed mode but I think that's a resolution issue, or it's not picking up my graphics card properly).

I did use Wrye Mash to change the .bsa file dates to 2002, if that could impact anything.

E: I did install it to Program Files first but then wiped it, I'm not at home so I can't check to see if everything got deleted from that old install but I did use Steam to delete local content so I have to imagine that everything was removed.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 28, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

:shrug: maybe SOMETHING is installed to program files.

The resolution and windowed mode should be resolved by using MGEXE which is in the OP isn't in the OP what the hell?

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/

download that, put it in your morrowind folder such that MGEXE and morrowind.exe are next to each other and run MGEXE. That should allow you to fix resolution etc. You don't have to run it ever again if you don't want to after that.

Oh and if you were going to use the MGSO in the OP that requires UAC to be off during installation.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Mortimer posted:

:shrug: maybe SOMETHING is installed to program files.

The resolution and windowed mode should be resolved by using MGEXE which is in the OP isn't in the OP what the hell?

It's buried near the bottom in the Utilities section. I think I might've put it there when I reorganized the OP to be more around MGSO.

Also, I looked into the link for redating steam files in the OP and never realised that it actually led to a bunch of random redating programs (since I'm one of those people who still use CD). I'll switch it to Wrye Mash once I'm not phone-posting.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Got it to launch with no UAC pop-ups, it looks like I hadn't fully deleted everything from my first install in the Program Files folder. A little CCleaner action helped too, I'm thinking.

New question- the .bsa filedates from the original install put Bloodmoon first in the load order (then Morrowind and Tribunal). Something I should fix now, or will it correct itself in the modding/load order adjustment process? It's been a long time since I've had to set up a new install of this game so I've forgotten a lot of the details.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Got it to launch with no UAC pop-ups, it looks like I hadn't fully deleted everything from my first install in the Program Files folder. A little CCleaner action helped too, I'm thinking.

New question- the .bsa filedates from the original install put Bloodmoon first in the load order (then Morrowind and Tribunal). Something I should fix now, or will it correct itself in the modding/load order adjustment process? It's been a long time since I've had to set up a new install of this game so I've forgotten a lot of the details.

once you get everything you want you should run mlox (which is in the OP)

it's like BOSS but for morrowind basically, also ignore everything it says about TR being out of date, that's more on mlox being out of date.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

hannibal posted:

Hey since we have a new page I might as well plug OpenMW again and share something I'm working on. I wrote a guide to straightforward Morrowind modding many years ago (lost to the mists of time) but now I've started putting one together again for OpenMW. I've found info on the Internet about compatibility of certain mods and such with OpenMW but nothing starting from scratch, and unfortunately most of the good Morrowind mod resources are out of date, have broken links, and so on. So I started writing this:

It isn't very far along yet, but it does have links to mods in it and some organization, and I'll keeping adding to it when I have time. So far I've just gone through BTB's list and incorporated some info from a few Reddit posts and such, nothing comprehensive yet, and I haven't tested anything yet either.

Cool. Any shots of this in action?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hannibal posted:

MPP: why
No TR: why

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Gyshall posted:

Cool. Any shots of this in action?

Not yet, but I'll put some together when I'm a bit further along. I'm still in the phase of reading through old guides (and newer ones) and deconflicting things. I haven't really done any testing yet.

Mortimer posted:

MPP: why
No TR: why

MPP: Why not? Unlike the Code Patch (which does stuff to the Morrowind executable, so is useless with OpenMW), the MPP fixes a bunch of stuff in the base game's data files. It's the equivalent of the Unofficial Patches to Oblivion and Skyrim. I haven't seen anything saying it doesn't work with OpenMW yet.
TR: I don't mind adding it, I didn't leave it out on purpose, actually. It doesn't do anything to the 'base' game right, just add a bunch of stuff around it? I did look into it a bit and fortunately the TR and OpenMW developers work together so that should mean no compatibility issues.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The MPP used to be called Unofficial Morrowind Patch, and for having worked on a localized version of it I can vouch for it being useful. And contrarily to some other unofficial patches, it's just focused on actually fixing actual bugs, in the least intrusive possible way. Not adding oblivion gates to cities or terrible voice acting to monsters.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

hannibal posted:

Added to the OP.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hannibal posted:

MPP: Why not? Unlike the Code Patch (which does stuff to the Morrowind executable, so is useless with OpenMW), the MPP fixes a bunch of stuff in the base game's data files. It's the equivalent of the Unofficial Patches to Oblivion and Skyrim. I haven't seen anything saying it doesn't work with OpenMW yet.

Yes and no. The MPP, like the other unofficial patches, has a tendency to go 80/20 on bugfixes vs what one would consider "game balance".

That False Incarnate quest where the guy in Suran thinks he's the Nerevarine is a good example. In the vanilla game if you have 65 disposition with him you can convince him. With MPP you have to have seen a disturbing dream during the main quest.

I've run with the MPP and without for years and haven't seen many things that need patching.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Added to the OP.

While you're putting stuff into the OP, the link for the Chocolate Pack seems to be busted. I found it at http://chocolatepack.net/morrowind/mods/ instead. Also, is there a full archive download for the pack or do I have to download all of the pieces individually?

E: Hot drat the mod I made eight years ago made it onto the mod history page. Shout-out to whatever random internet person did that :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 30, 2016

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Added to the OP.

Thanks. I'll probably end up moving it to Github Pages or something once I have something more fleshed out. But for now I'll keep updating that Dropbox link.

Mortimer posted:

Yes and no. The MPP, like the other unofficial patches, has a tendency to go 80/20 on bugfixes vs what one would consider "game balance".

That False Incarnate quest where the guy in Suran thinks he's the Nerevarine is a good example. In the vanilla game if you have 65 disposition with him you can convince him. With MPP you have to have seen a disturbing dream during the main quest.

I've run with the MPP and without for years and haven't seen many things that need patching.

OK, I can see that point of view, but I figure if it fixes more than it screws up, I think it's probably better to include it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Does Morrowind have some sort of comprehensive revamp like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul? I've only ever played unmodded, and I've been meaning to try mods but man I don't have the patience to deal with a dozen different mods and load orders and conflicts and oh dear, but on the other hand the game is full of straight up busted mechanics like alchemy and the economy in general.

Also is there some mod that makes offensive magic not completely laughable? The system in general with custom spells and the like is really cool but spells take two hours to cast, non-specialized characters don't have the magicka to cast anything more intensive than a cigarette burn, and oh if you somehow manage to make it work, gently caress you, every high tier enemy has constant spell reflect.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does Morrowind have some sort of comprehensive revamp like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul? I've only ever played unmodded, and I've been meaning to try mods but man I don't have the patience to deal with a dozen different mods and load orders and conflicts and oh dear, but on the other hand the game is full of straight up busted mechanics like alchemy and the economy in general.

Also is there some mod that makes offensive magic not completely laughable? The system in general with custom spells and the like is really cool but spells take two hours to cast, non-specialized characters don't have the magicka to cast anything more intensive than a cigarette burn, and oh if you somehow manage to make it work, gently caress you, every high tier enemy has constant spell reflect.

It has a balance-minded overhaul by a guy who mods more than he plays the game called BTB's Improvements. I recommend it, having played with it and enjoyed its changes. I have a shitload of stuff in my Morrowind folder and that's the most significant in terms of gameplay balance.

UNFORTUNATELY, nobody really did a massive all-encompassing balance overhaul that'd make the game like Oblivion with FCOM or whatever. It's probably because the goddamn game was so finicky about poo poo that it'd crash at a moment's notice, so nobody thought it'd be possible to implement changes to every NPC, every spell/effect, every item, et cetera.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 3, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there a still recommended install order for the various bugfixes and patches? I know the last thread had them in a certain order but it doesn't look like the current OP does, though maybe things have changed since then?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

C-Euro posted:

Is there a still recommended install order for the various bugfixes and patches? I know the last thread had them in a certain order but it doesn't look like the current OP does, though maybe things have changed since then?

I've been looking at various guides lately, many of the 'classic' resources are getting stale in various ways, but there are some efforts to put together all-in-one guides that are up to date. This Reddit thread from just today looks decent (I've just skimmed it) and there's this pastebin guide going around too that looks pretty good. Morrowind modding seems to have reached a kind of steady-state since it's so old and many mods aren't being updated anymore, and people have mostly moved on. The last time I really went through Skyrim modding, last year, using STEP, things were still popping up and getting added to the STEP baseline fairly frequently.

Anyway, I think you could go with one of those and be mostly ok, and by the time you go through them you'll know enough about modding that you can start to pick and choose on your own just fine. The only danger is modding the game more than playing the game itself, which is definitely a rathole I've been down before.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

The chocolate pack mentioned a couple posts above yours is probably the closest thing. It's not a "this game sucks gotta change everything about it" type of deal like OOO but I think the mods it contains do a good job of shoring up some of Morrowind's more egregious problems and it's probably your best bet if you don't want to get dirty and spergy like the rest of us.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Personally I think the busted mechanics are part of the charm and things like BTB's Improvements actually make the game vastly more of a slog. I mean, they're easily abused, but they kind of counterbalance other issues with the design (for example, messing around with enchantments along with the Boots of Blinding Speed is a great way to get around without taking an actual lifetime to get anywhere that doesn't have a fast travel option). Installing stuff that nukes that tends to both remove said counterbalance -and- tip further in the already questionable direction of the vanilla game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

The chocolate pack mentioned a couple posts above yours is probably the closest thing. It's not a "this game sucks gotta change everything about it" type of deal like OOO but I think the mods it contains do a good job of shoring up some of Morrowind's more egregious problems and it's probably your best bet if you don't want to get dirty and spergy like the rest of us.

Maybe I'm the biggest idiot in the world but is there some actual downloadable pack of these mods or do I have to grab them all individually?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Heavy neutrino posted:

Maybe I'm the biggest idiot in the world but is there some actual downloadable pack of these mods or do I have to grab them all individually?

There is, but it's not straightforward to find for some reason. I found this: http://archive.is/6Dm7Y but I can't vouch for anything there.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you do all of BTB's stuff it will make the game a lot more tedious since they're basically designed in mind for players who already know how to break the game within an hour of starting up, not to make it a "better" game really.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

i tried modding my game to hell and back but it just is not worth it. Ditch any spell casting related skills you thought you wanted, grab enchant and do everything you wanted and more with one skill. The entire Morrowind experience is breaking the game in half in an hour or a slow progression to being a god at level 20 and playing any other way is wrong

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
You can totally become a Mage god in vanilla. You don't even need a magicka-regenerating mod to start if you're willing to take atronach.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah but in my view there's no really satisfying way to deal with how every upper-tier enemy has some innate spell reflection, and the combination of impossibly slow casting and projectile speeds makes it kind of not very fun in practice. I'd much prefer a system with faster casting of generally weaker and cheaper spells, and if spell reflection really has to be so ubiquitous for some reason it probably should have been something that instead always activates and reflects x% of the spell's magnitude back.

Magicka regeneration is pretty meaningless, though. The game is littered with potions; just stop hoarding and chug em.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Bloodmoon is intended as pretty high-level expansion, and if those goddamn icy bastards didn't reflect back that 60% of Eltonbrand or whatever your pick is, they'd be much less threatening. Annoying but true.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Reflect is kinda poo poo for high level mages.

Try levitating out of reach and using spells that your character has a high level resist to. Or – unless you've tweaked it through MCP – use absorb health because it doesn't reflect.

There's a neat trick too where you can send a summoned creature in then use an AoE spell to bypass reflect. As long as the summoned creature without reflect is hit first other enemies' reflect doesn't matter.

Using summons in the ordinary way is also a possibility.

Or, choose your battles. It doesn't cost much to keep invisibility permanently up and provided you're casting 1 magicka cost training spells you're really not missing much by not killing common enemies with reflect.

Magicka just isn't an issue once you've got alchemy.

I dont really enchant much other than to make constant effect stuff but it's pretty OP - i've never bothered.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you're not abusing a constant 1-point Slowfall enchantment and a high-magnitude jump spell to make that one dude's Icarian Flight dreams a reality, I don't even know what to tell you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mages are the strongest characters in Morrowind, in that starting with Conjuration gives you Bound Dagger which lets you easily stunlock everything outside the expansions.

If you want to actually use destruction just go play Oblivion where you start out strong and then snowball into complete insanity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Soultrap some golden saints, make yourself clothing of constant effect bound armor and weapons.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Absorb Health was what I used for damage. I beat Dagoth Ur and both expansions without much trouble (Hircine's personal werebears were kind of a pain, but I was only level 23, which I think is considered low for that part?)

raminasi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 4, 2016

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

youre not a real powergamer until you beat gedna relvel at level 70

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Entropy238 posted:

Reflect is kinda poo poo for high level mages.

Try levitating out of reach and using spells that your character has a high level resist to. Or – unless you've tweaked it through MCP – use absorb health because it doesn't reflect.

There's a neat trick too where you can send a summoned creature in then use an AoE spell to bypass reflect. As long as the summoned creature without reflect is hit first other enemies' reflect doesn't matter.

Using summons in the ordinary way is also a possibility.

Or, choose your battles. It doesn't cost much to keep invisibility permanently up and provided you're casting 1 magicka cost training spells you're really not missing much by not killing common enemies with reflect.

Magicka just isn't an issue once you've got alchemy.

I dont really enchant much other than to make constant effect stuff but it's pretty OP - i've never bothered.

Enchant owns, you can enchant a ring or whatever to machine gun cast fireballs, absorb, or whatever. The trader in caldera has a ring of invisibility for cheap you can snag right before beelining for your boots of speed. Mournhold has the +skill spells, enchant something with +enchant and snowball into a decked out jeweled glowing god. Hand animation cast times are for chumps

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The best mage in the game is a red guard with enchanting as a skill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Am I cool if I install MGSO prior to the code patch/.exe optimizer/etc.? The code patch has options for some sound and resolution fixes that MGSO might benefit from (like axes getting their own inventory sound), but I don't know if MGSO has stuff packed in to utilize them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

C-Euro posted:

Am I cool if I install MGSO prior to the code patch/.exe optimizer/etc.? The code patch has options for some sound and resolution fixes that MGSO might benefit from (like axes getting their own inventory sound), but I don't know if MGSO has stuff packed in to utilize them.

My recommendation is to make multiple backups of your original Morrowind EXE. I usually replace it after MGSO (if I'm using MGSO) with the original one, then run code patch/exe optimizer/etc with the newer code patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Am I the only person that has made enough characters to be so lazy as to just set my speed to 250 and not even bother doing the boots run? Its just an extra 5 min of walking and a few gold to get a resist spell/make a 1 s resist magic spell vs not doing that and opening the console. Its busy work in a way that getting the amulet of shadows isn't. At least that can be an annoying fight if you don't remember exactly where the invisible lady is.