Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Golem II posted:

Concerts in L.A. cost less then that

As opposed to houses, cars, clothing, food, and repair services which all cost way more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't have anything to do with ticket prices but our show at the Orpheum is priced similarly to most other shows at the Orpheum, and less than many of them. which is the same place we did in LA last year, probably for the same price (since it was booked and promoted by the same companies)

Terrible Opinions posted:

As opposed to houses, cars, clothing, food, and repair services which all cost way more.

nah you can get lots of good cheap tacos in LA

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 20, 2016

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Golem II posted:

Suck off night vale, they over charge for tickets

This is a performance art piece called "entitled baby man tantrum over $30 tickets".

Promoters regularly want to charge a lot more, and most comparable touring acts do. We keep our ticket prices between $25-35, which is well below market cost for shows in these theaters because we believe in keeping shows affordable. For instance, the shows after us in that same theater are charging tiered ticket prices that go up to as much as $85 a ticket, with an average around $60 a ticket.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

This is a performance art piece called "entitled baby man tantrum over $30 tickets".

Promoters regularly want to charge a lot more, and most comparable touring acts do. We keep our ticket prices between $25-35, which is well below market cost for shows in these theaters because we believe in keeping shows affordable. For instance, the shows after us in that same theater are charging tiered ticket prices that go up to as much as $85 a ticket, with an average around $60 a ticket.

So considering he started this by yelling about 75 dollar tickets are you saying he's just dumb and wrong

Because j can get behind that

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I believe he was saying 75$ for two tickets.

Still a very reasonable price.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe he was saying 75$ for two tickets.

Still a very reasonable price.

Oh lmao I missed that

What a fuckin idiot

The only shows I've ever been to that are less than thirty bucks are punk shows in mostly garbage venues, anything with a band that can remotely pretend to ask for money or at a rea venue is thirty bucks

Wanna talk about entitled shitheads, guy? It's you. You're the entitled shithead

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Literally The Worst posted:

So considering he started this by yelling about 75 dollar tickets are you saying he's just dumb and wrong

Because j can get behind that

well of course he's dumb and wrong, but I was mostly saying he's an entitled baby man throwing a tantrum.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

well of course he's dumb and wrong, but I was mostly saying he's an entitled baby man throwing a tantrum.

In a truly shocking twist I was the one who was dumb and wrong

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
First episode of WTW was interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing more of it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lay on Hands posted:

First episode of WTW was interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing more of it.

I'm interested to see how the story develops. The first episode was entertaining, but I feel like the majority of the episode could've been an extended traffic segment in WTNV. It was very easy to imagine Cecil narrating the tape.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm on the edge of my goddamn seat for the Alice Isn't Dead season finale. Really loving the show, and today's cliffhanger was badass.

Also, the music has been getting consistently better with each episode and it was pretty goddamn great to start with. I listen to each episode twice. Once for the story, and again just to hear the music.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Alice is a Thistle-person, I'm calling it right loving now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's a bit too predictable for this series.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Benny the Snake posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

That's a bit too predictable for this series.

She is a Fern-person ???

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Naah Narrator is becoming one and has been since being bitten, just doesn't realize it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Started listening to WTNV about a month ago and have now gone through the archive. It's been... quite the ride. Thinking I'll probably have to catch the live show in Stockholm in October since there won't be a show in Helsinki this time around (was very surprised to see that there was one here a couple of years back!).

Really digging Alice Isn't Dead as well, will need to listen to the rest that's not on the Night Vale channels next. Some genuinely creepy stuff.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 30, 2016

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Benny the Snake posted:

Alice was dead the whole time

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's you, the listener, who is dead. irl, not just in the podcast.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I thought the point of the series was about the trials and tribulations of living in the afterlife. And Alice, through a freak accident, was brought back to life. So thus, Alice was tragically the only one who isn't dead.

And then you had to ruin it, Fink

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I thought the point of the series was about the trials and tribulations of living in the afterlife. And Alice, through a freak accident, was brought back to life. So thus, Alice was tragically the only one who isn't dead.

And then you had to ruin it, Fink

Death of the author is a helluva drug

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Donor-only episode spoilers:

What a fun vacation :3:

The Faceless Old Woman Who Lives In Your [Metaphorical] Home

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The last episode of Alice Isn't Dead comes out Monday, right? Because I'm hoping to listen to the whole season while driving to Dallas for the live show.

Also, these relaxation tapes aren't really helping my anxiety. I think there might be something wrong with them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

vortmax posted:

The last episode of Alice Isn't Dead comes out Monday, right? Because I'm hoping to listen to the whole season while driving to Dallas for the live show.

Also, these relaxation tapes aren't really helping my anxiety. I think there might be something wrong with them.

It's only the end of part one. They've already guaranteed another part (season?).

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Jurgan posted:

It's only the end of part one. They've already guaranteed another part (season?).

Oh yeah, I meant the last episode of season one.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

vortmax posted:

it comes out Tuesday, technically, but it's usually posted near midnight on Monday

of course I still have to finish making the thing, which I will be doing in New Orleans and San Antonio!

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
Headed to the Dallas show tonight! We've got really good seats this time. Super excited!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Alice isn't Dead episode: What the hell? And was that Alice at the end?

I mean that in the best way.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 12, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mokinokaro posted:

Alice isn't Dead episode: What the hell? And was that Alice at the end?

I mean that in the best way.

1. Probably.

2. Probably.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Hughlander posted:

Naah Narrator is becoming one and has been since being bitten, just doesn't realize it.

I honestly thought that that was what was going to happen when she killed the Thistle man and she was describing all her injuries, making her sound like she was almost monstrous in appearance. I'm excited for a season 2 apparently with Alice telling her story.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Benny the Snake posted:

Damnit! :bang:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey, it seemed like a decent twist at the time.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Was anyone else kind up upset at how understanding Keisha was with Alice leaving without any notice or contact? I feel like for the entire rest of this season she's been mad, and at some points rage filled about her abandonment. Then Alice shows up for 2 minutes and suddenly they are mutually at fault? She didn't even provide any kind of explanation for leaving, other than "bad stuff is happening and I have to take care of it".

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Was anyone else kind up upset at how understanding Keisha was with Alice leaving without any notice or contact? I feel like for the entire rest of this season she's been mad, and at some points rage filled about her abandonment. Then Alice shows up for 2 minutes and suddenly they are mutually at fault? She didn't even provide any kind of explanation for leaving, other than "bad stuff is happening and I have to take care of it".

Yeah the whole "You should have respected my choice to disappear/fake my death" "Yeah sorry for looking for you" bit was weird. Do people think that's how respect/relationships work?

I can see the response being in character since Keisha finally found Alice and still loves her. Better to concede a point and celebrate that your wife is alive than spout your anger and frustration at being abandoned. Plus Keisha was preparing herself to die in a final attack, so she's focused on her own agency/choice rather than on her feelings of abandonment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
To be fair, Keisha has seen and experienced the bad poo poo personally now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why are we calling her Keisha now

If it's because of the last episode spoilers you dolts

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

The live show in Dallas was amazing, as expected. And I wasn't crying at the end you were.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Amateur Sketch posted:

Yeah the whole "You should have respected my choice to disappear/fake my death" "Yeah sorry for looking for you" bit was weird. Do people think that's how respect/relationships work?

I can see the response being in character since Keisha finally found Alice and still loves her. Better to concede a point and celebrate that your wife is alive than spout your anger and frustration at being abandoned. Plus Keisha was preparing herself to die in a final attack, so she's focused on her own agency/choice rather than on her feelings of abandonment.

That and I think she's seen so much death that she's become more fatalistic. I mean, she tore right into Thistle town to kill the Hungry Man-she practically dove headfirst into the lion's den. Her character has been one to not think of consequence and it's a result of the terrible things she's witnessed first-hand. Keisha's such a traumatized character and what makes her so compelling is seeing how she copes with the world crumbling around her. :(

BTW, as an IE native, I'm still reeling how Thistle, this town full of monsters, is right outside of Victorville. Like, Thistle should be Apple Valley. That's loving insane. :stonk:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 14, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm not sure if anyone itt was in the audience at Albuquerque last night, but that was absolutely one of my favorite audiences at a Night Vale show

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Earwicker posted:

I'm not sure if anyone itt was in the audience at Albuquerque last night, but that was absolutely one of my favorite audiences at a Night Vale show
Even better than us Oakland crowd??? :( (Just saw you out there tonight, good poo poo. )

Though Erins music wasn't my cup of tea, she did a really good job and everything was fantastic.

What's been your favorite and least favorite venues?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xaris posted:

What's been your favorite and least favorite venues?

The Fox in Oakland is definitely one of my favorite venues. I used to live in Oakland and the place was boarded up the whole time I lived there, they did a beautiful job with the reconstruction and I feel super honored to get to perform there. also this time it was kind of cool to play a mandolin on that stage like three days before Chris Thile plays there.

Other favorites - the Fillmore in Detroit (previously known as the State), Union Chapel in London, the Town Hall in Leeds, the Bomhard in Louisville, the Majestic in Dallas, and the Pabst in Milwaukee (mostly for its green room). I liked the KiMo in Albuquerque a lot as well

Least favorite: the Garrick in Winnipeg, the Egyptian Room in Indianapolis, and whatever place we were at in Tucson last year

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 18, 2016