Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The MSJ posted:

Lots of Spider-Man: Homecoming set photos.

Tom Holland looking way too happy that we can see him grabbing his crotch.

"Tony told me to meet him here for donuts."

"We lost out Rihanna tie-in to Star Trek so we have to make do with his."

Friendly Neighborhood Stupid Sexy Spidey.

Nice, I've always been a JANSPORT man as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh... are they not even bothering with him having a secret identity?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

those are just stagehands

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, uh... are they not even bothering with him having a secret identity?

??

These aren't production stills they are just shots of him standing around on set. His face probably got hot in the mask.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The MSJ posted:

Lots of Spider-Man: Homecoming set photos.

Tom Holland looking way too happy that we can see him grabbing his crotch.

"Tony told me to meet him here for donuts."

"We lost out Rihanna tie-in to Star Trek so we have to make do with his."

Friendly Neighborhood Stupid Sexy Spidey.

What are all the dark lines on the blue part of the costume?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wasn't a huge fan of the first Sin City movie but I'm watched the 2014 one on Netflix and holy poo poo this is crap and looks cheap as hell. I know basically every shot in the movie is a special effects shot because of how they make the look but almost every time anything more complicated than "two people talk to each other" happens it straight up looks unfinished, like unbelievably bad. It really stands out because there are a few moments that look great. Christopher Lloyd's scene is awesome thanks to him. :) Mickey Rourke's makeup looks really weird, I think because everything is a little brighter this time around. It looks obvious and trying too hard compared to the silhouette and look he has in Sin City 1. Obviously that was eleven years ago but I think that's more on the makeup and the movie's look than on him aging.

There's a moment that reminded me of the many "Fred Williamson is too old to do action movies now" moments of the 80s towards the end though when Mickey Rourke/Marv and Jessica Alba/Nancy are confronted by some by a trio of bikers. These guys are armed to the teeth, their leader holding one of those badass combat shotguns they use in movies a lot in each hand, and they make it clear that if Marv doesn't let them pass then Marv will die. But fortunately because they didn't have the budget or the stunt people or whatever Rourke is able to diffuse the situation by calmly walking all the way up to the lead guy and taking both of his guns away and shooting all three of them because they all just stand there motionless for the minute it takes him to do this. How polite! :)

Were small segments of this ghost directed or overseen by someone other than Frank Miller? There's a brief point where Senator Roark's magician/gambler exiled son is getting abducted and beaten, as he describes how lovely this is we see his body flatten and transition into the gleam off the fender of the car he's being driven away in. For this brief bit like Christopher Lloyd's scene everything comes together and the movie is cool and fun.

I will say one thing, besides Jamie King none of the characters with more than half a line turn in a mega awful performance like Michael Madsen in Sin City 1. Everyone's in real peak scenery chewing form, but Frank Miller is just terrible enough a scriptwriter that they the cast can't carry it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy A. Person posted:

??

These aren't production stills they are just shots of him standing around on set. His face probably got hot in the mask.

Oh, fair enough, I interpreted the backpack ones as "he's going to school in full costume in Homecoming."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh, fair enough, I interpreted the backpack ones as "he's going to school in full costume in Homecoming."

Oh haha gotcha

I think he used to wear a backpack in costume in Ultimate Spiderman, to store his regular clothes. I'm guessing that is the vibe they're going for

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BiggerBoat posted:

What are all the dark lines on the blue part of the costume?

That's just a design. Evidently people believe that just plain colored spandex doesn't show up well on screen or something, it needs some sort of lines and/or texture.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's just a design. Evidently people believe that just plain colored spandex doesn't show up well on screen or something, it needs some sort of lines and/or texture.

Part of it might be to help sell the CG spider-man doing most of the stunts - people are more willing to believe something is real if it has more texture, detail, and imperfections, even if they're exaggerated.

If you ever notice windows becoming unnecessarily dirty when there's a scene with an actor driving inside a car, it's because the whole thing was shot on a greenscreen stage with the windows removed, and the glass was replaced later.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I will say one thing, besides Jamie King none of the characters with more than half a line turn in a mega awful performance like Michael Madsen in Sin City 1.

Michael Madsen is pretty lovely in everything though. He's been in several really good movies but I always thought he was the weakest part of them. Dude has one facial expression.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well, I think they're wrong in this case. They look like placeholders for a costume that they were eventually going to sculpt muscles on or add body armor. At least make them webs or something. I don't like those lines.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

They're set photos. It'll look fine on screen. I can't believe this is happening yet again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why is Spider-Man using an umbrella? Couldn't he just make one out of web!???????

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's an outfit no one will complain about. Or everyone. I can't tell with you people.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weird that Tony Stark would design him a suit with a bunch of unnecessary body lines and panels.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The MSJ posted:

Here's an outfit no one will complain about. Or everyone. I can't tell with you people.

Works for me doesn't have cool hair and doesn't look like he skateboards.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I really disappointing thing about how the Spider-Man suit has been conceptualized in the MCU is that it takes all of the texture and weirdness out of the idea that fundamentally, Peter Parker's super-power is that he's excellent at crafting an image for himself. The question becomes, Who is Peter 'modeling' for.

With the Raimi film suit, the more pronounced and reflective web and emblem design, combined with the glassy goggles, made for really interesting interaction with different lighting environments - from the dingy, rain-soaked alleyways of night to the sunny, patriotic vistas of day. You got the sense that this suit reflected Parker's particular eye for hitting just the right combination between viscerally alien and humanly accessible. There's a literal montage of him just designing his ideal costume, for God's sake.

The Marc Webb films kept this overall aesthetic, but just removed the 'designing' context and made the webbing less reflective and narrower to connote both the character's youth and 'unsuspecting' frame.

But with Civil War, the webbing is now literally just a pattern on spandex. The suit is constantly shot against the light, but the whole figure evenly illuminating, creating no sense of depth. The emphasis here is smoothness, the streamlining of Parker's now Stark-admiring consciousness to a perfect approximation of a '60s cartoon cell. And it's not like this combined effect makes Spider-Man look sufficiently 'teenage' - In fact, it's the opposite, the character is frequently shot from low angles and wide shots to emphasize 'manliness,' again, conforming to a really old '60s cartoon graphic. It just contributes to this combined effect of a character that seems inaccessible by anything except voyeurism. It's a design so scared of physical intimacy or signifiers of devotional work. It doesn't appear like they're changing much with Homecoming.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder what his prefered search engine is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the eyes just look so loving bad on the new suit

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mr. stefan posted:

Look at this bad opinion.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

In still production shots they do but, again, the post production CG helps a lot

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I get serious 1970's Spidey TV show vibes from those eyes. I love it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

And I can't believe he was still just wearing those sneakers as part of his costume in Amazing Spiderman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what his prefered search engine is.

Probably duck duck go

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I like the animated Ditko eyes a lot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TetsuoTW posted:

And I can't believe he was still just wearing those sneakers as part of his costume in Amazing Spiderman.

yeah nah we saw how the eyes looked after post in civil war and they were just as loving garbage then as they look here.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

mr. stefan posted:

yeah nah we saw how the eyes looked after post in civil war and they were just as loving garbage then as they look here.

I bet this guy liked the reflective sunglasses look from asm1

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The eyes are pretty dope and the best part of the costume, but I completely agree with K. Waste about the lack of texture on the costume. The ASM costume looks more like an actual costume and less like a cartoon/spandex body stocking. Then again I love ASM so I might be biased.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Mash posted:

I bet this guy liked the reflective sunglasses look from asm1

I liked the Civil War/Homecoming costume, but hope that for Spidey's next appearance they take a cue from the ASM2 big eyes. :shobon:

As for the lines in the blue part of the costume, weren't those already in Civil War? And that turned out fine. Guess they don't want to risk another Avengers Cap costume fiasco where the suit has large swaths of the same color with nothing to help the contours/define his body.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This guy looks like such a loser but I guess that is Spider-man. And why goons identify... :getin:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Vintersorg posted:

This guy looks like such a loser but I guess that is Spider-man. And why goons identify... :getin:

How long before we get a fat spiderman

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shanty posted:

How long before we get a fat spiderman

Italian Spiderman

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I identify with a 30 year old SpiderMan who is annoyed that stopping a robbery gets between him and purchasing seltzer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I want to see a late-20's or early 30's Spider-Man who just doesn't get the kids and their music nowadays. What happened to REAL rock, like Linkin Park?

Yes, that wrestling promoter got robbed, but the biggest robbery victim this year has been my 401(k)!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a Peter Parker that's a smelly old bum, and he asks you for money and you shout "Get away from me you stinky bum!" And then you get ready to deck him, but look again... he's Spiderman.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Joe Gillian posted:

I like the animated Ditko eyes a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

greatn posted:

I want a Peter Parker that's a smelly old bum, and he asks you for money and you shout "Get away from me you stinky bum!" And then you get ready to deck him, but look again... he's Spiderman.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Pardon me but I would just like to remind everybody that it's Spider Hyphen Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Irwin Spiderman, CPA

• Locked thread