Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HGH posted:

Ah, was it the "THINK OF THE POOR CHILDREN?!" part?

It was the part where IF and Compa lecture two kids who want a flash cart that has patch codes. Someone (Nepgear?) straight up asks "why would you want to cheat, it's more fun if you don't!" and I cringed because gently caress you, I've totally got Cheat Engine open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I use cheat engine all the time to minimize grindy bullshit. Who gives a poo poo if someone uses cheats in a single player game? It isn't like doing anything in a video game is a real accomplishment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the nep game is just being goofy

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

END ME SCOOB posted:

It was the part where IF and Compa lecture two kids who want a flash cart that has patch codes. Someone (Nepgear?) straight up asks "why would you want to cheat, it's more fun if you don't!" and I cringed because gently caress you, I've totally got Cheat Engine open.

It's especially funny because nepnep always has hundreds of DLC options which are, essentially, paid cheating.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i think the nep game is just being goofy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

shes right

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Motto posted:

shes right

Cheating is fine and only losers try to lecture people who cheat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nepgear is young and has more time to spend playing video games than old people who must cheat to finish them within their life span

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The Colonel posted:

nepgear is young and has more time to spend playing video games than old people who must cheat to finish them within their life span

You know what, I'm just going to pretend this is text and that's why I can't stand the "younger siblings". It's a generation gap.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Looks like Technomancer reviewed worse than SO5, hah.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

the only scifi jrpg is opoona

I bought that three times and had to return it three times because the disc never worked right.

That is my Opoona experience.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I got to the dungeon where all the enemies were ASCII and realized that Falcom's hometown was an ancient PC

I am officially back on board with this game (recruiting Cave helped too)

(it's seriously weird to realize when this game came out, Cave was effectively 360 exclusive and thus on Team Microsoft)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody played Sword Coast Legends? It's on sale on Steam right now for $10 and I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about it. Personally, I've heard some complaints that it doesn't truly follow the actual D&D rule sets but I don't really care about that, I just want to know if it's a fun RPG with interesting combat and...

1. Are your AI companions good enough at the game where you can kinda stick with your own character without having to micro the rest of your party much? and...
2. Are individual classes fun and engaging enough to keep you entertained without feeling like you need to control the rest of your party? and...
3. Can I play pure roles? Can I make a healer that literally only buffs and heals other classes for the entire game, or a tank that only exists to absorb agro and enemy hits but doesn't do much damage, etc?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam was fun. I'm the weirdo that didn't care for Bowser's Inside Story but I appreciated all the additional options this game had to break it if you want. And the challenge rewards encouraged me to make the game harder on myself and that's always good. A redemption for Dream Team and I'm looking forward to Paper Bash or whatever.

With that said, it took me 50 hours. Who the gently caress is beating this game in 26 or whatever the average is on HLTB?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Looks like Technomancer reviewed worse than SO5, hah.

Clearly a review bias against Western RPGs

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you have a Vita the Final Fantasy Adventure remake, Adventures of Mana is now up on PSN for the Mana Series' 25th Anniversary! :toot:

Worth playing just for the music imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SguIgoZNFMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8jHkgzQbEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SILyMV6t4g

This also isn't a bad remake like Sword of Mana was. This is one that stays true to the original.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you have a Vita the Final Fantasy Adventure remake, Adventures of Mana is now up on PSN for the Mana Series' 25th Anniversary! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMgzbHYLi0

Wow that looks really :geno:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
That is...transparently a mobile game. Like, the two lower-right buttons are a staple of poo poo F2P mobile ARPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

That is...transparently a mobile game. Like, the two lower-right buttons are a staple of poo poo F2P mobile ARPGs.

quote:

Adventures of Mana, the iOS and Android port of the classic Game Boy action-RPG Final Fantasy Adventure, launched today on PlayStation Vita.

... yes? It's literally a port of an iOS game, they're not trying to hide that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Technomancer actually looking good? It randomly came up on one of those Steam discovery queues for me and I'm curious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been getting worse reviews than SO 5. I don't know anyone who's actually played it though. There's no way I'm touching a Spiders game for full price.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's basically a slightly better Mars Log with combat that makes Witcher 1 seem interesting and responsive.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I will be playing Technomancer in an hour or two, will report back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Technomancer actually looking good? It randomly came up on one of those Steam discovery queues for me and I'm curious.

I want this game to be good but the combat looks really stiff from what I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyjMjiT6qZc&t=517s

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

It's basically a slightly better Mars Log with combat that makes Witcher 1 seem interesting and responsive.
Never even heard of Mars Log... but I did try Witcher 1 and that's quite the insult.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I wanted to like it from my sci-fi bias but two YouTubes was enough to NoOp out of it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How hard would it be for a eurotrash company to make an RPG that confines itself to its budget, doesn't shoehorn in crap like crafting and romances, and maybe gives us a female PC option?

CDPR won everyone over with their third game, even people who hated their early work, while Piranha Bytes comedy routine grew stale and Spiders is still a two-bit thug, lacking in finesse or business acumen to bother selling high-quality meth.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ImpAtom posted:

... yes? It's literally a port of an iOS game, they're not trying to hide that.

They could have at least gotten rid of what look like on-screen buttons. Downsize them to like a quarter. Like, I'm sure those are actually mapped to physical Vita buttons... I hope, at least.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I wasn't trying to expose its deadly mobile game secret, I was saying it looks like garbage

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How hard would it be for a eurotrash company to make an RPG that confines itself to its budget, doesn't shoehorn in crap like crafting and romances, and maybe gives us a female PC option?

CDPR won everyone over with their third game, even people who hated their early work, while Piranha Bytes comedy routine grew stale and Spiders is still a two-bit thug, lacking in finesse or business acumen to bother selling high-quality meth.

I like that stuff though :(

The ambition and weirdness of Euro RPGs is what attracts me. I'd like for more time to go in polishing them but I still like experimental stuff.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Divinity: Original Sin? I mean, there's crafting that you can basically completely ignore. And it's not perfect or anything. But it literally has a male and a female PC and they don't have fixed personalities or anything!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Divinity: Original Sin? I mean, there's crafting that you can basically completely ignore. And it's not perfect or anything. But it literally has a male and a female PC and they don't have fixed personalities or anything!

It may be a good game, but it's so turn-based heavy for me it hurts, so it's at the bottom of my backlog

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been playing Technomancer and it seems pretty cool; can't really comment on the combat since I've got the reflexes of a paraplegic turtle in any case, but it actually seems more fun to me than the timing-based combat of the first Witcher. I'[m guessing the people who didn't grok the combat weren't quick enough to, or unaware of, the different stances and weapons available to each stance. The crafting system is pretty cool, and the game seems to throw basic materials at you like candy, so you'll never really be out of upgrades. The game does have some issues with pacing and story, and the voice acting is passable at best, but nothing insurmountable so far. Mind you, I actually liked War Logs, and I've been waiting for this game ever since it was announced, so there's definitely some bias on my part to like it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I don't understand what you're trying to say here? Witcher 3 was easily the best WRPG in the last 5 years.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm saying they're an exception in that they improved with every game. It's the other two that feel complacent.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I'm saying they're an exception in that they improved with every game. It's the other two that feel complacent.

I imagine their budgets were much smaller, and the fact that they didn't have 2 previous games of moderate to good success and a fanbase of the games/books to draw on probably made it easier for CDPR to do better as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The Witcher 3 was a weird mess that still had really bad combat. Its really bizarre to me that people keep hyping it as one of the best RPGs ever right now.

Like, its not bad or anything but best WRPG in five years? Really?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Zore posted:

The Witcher 3 was a weird mess that still had really bad combat. Its really bizarre to me that people keep hyping it as one of the best RPGs ever right now.

Like, its not bad or anything but best WRPG in five years? Really?

Yes, that's right. The combat is fine, and I even play it on KB+M which is apparently even worse than a controller. Have you considered that, perhaps, if so many people keep hyping it up and you are the odd man out that it is you who are wrong?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Verranicus posted:

Yes, that's right. The combat is fine, and I even play it on KB+M which is apparently even worse than a controller. Have you considered that, perhaps, if so many people keep hyping it up and you are the odd man out that it is you who are wrong?

lol

If we're going by metric of Popularity->truth then one of the more recent Call of Duty games or Madden games would be the best WRPG and you'd be the idiot ignoring that. They both have significant RPG bits now and they're ridiculously popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I first got a 360 controller for PC gaming because those mini-games in Alpha Protocol were beyond torture. Pity the dyslexic player who couldn't do the timed word-search, or the big-handed player can't move a thumbstick a fraction of an inch.