Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I found out something new today.

Healing is increased by 50% when healing armor instead of HP.

So Mercy heals 50 HP/S on a Roadhog, or 75 HP/S on a D.Va.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gmq posted:

I'm using a $2 mouse, would a better one help me? Is there any truth in the hype behind gaming accessories? Or is this just a case of gitgud?

Gaming accessories are almost entirely bullshit, ultra-high DPI on a mouse is actually a bad thing. Until sponsorships and product placement became huge most Starcraft pros played on $8 membrane keyboards, gaming poo poo is all marketing.

As noted, 800dpi is pretty much the sweet spot and while a $2 mouse is probably lovely any cheap Logitech or similar company optical mouse will be more than fine.

For sensitivity, turn it down until it takes you around 5 inches of mouse travel to turn 180 degrees, which is going to feel slow as poo poo but will allow you to make fine adjustments without constantly overshooting and overcorrecting. Go from there, turning it up or down a little until you're comfortable, but ideally you should have to use your arm for any major movements; unless you're a Korean teenager you're never going to be able to aim accurately using your fingertips to control the mouse.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wonder if the weird disparity in initial rankings is related to the KOTH issue with fractional rank gain. Did people who have a lower initial rank play more KOTH games in their first 10?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Strobe posted:

I wonder if the weird disparity in initial rankings is related to the KOTH issue with fractional rank gain. Did people who have a lower initial rank play more KOTH games in their first 10?
I mean, I played my placement matches concurrently with two friends (As in, our first 10 comp mode matches were all together). Each of us got different ranks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

sarmhan posted:

I mean, I played my placement matches concurrently with two friends (As in, our first 10 comp mode matches were all together). Each of us got different ranks.

Winning/losing alone doesn't account for placement ranks, it takes into account all of the stats (Eliminations, total damage done, healing done, deaths, objective time, etc) when assigning ranks.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

khy posted:

Winning/losing alone doesn't account for placement ranks, it takes into account all of the stats (Eliminations, total damage done, healing done, deaths, objective time, etc) when assigning ranks.
That would probably explain it- when we were playing together I was always Pharah, 76 or McCree, while the other two often play support/tank.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Just had a placement match with five randoms where everyone used voice, coordinated attacks, was encouraging when we lost a round or someone missed an ult, and worked together to pick characters for a strong team :unsmith:

And surprise surprise we actually won.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Huxley posted:

If you want to try it out before dropping a buck, I've had very good luck moving jump to L1 and moving the old L1 to L3 on some characters. Lucio works really well that way, Genji is much better as well. I'm not sure it's a great solution for every character, though. I could see having flash on L3 could muck with McCree. Having "Me Bubble/You Bubble" not on L1/R1 would probably mess with my head playing Zarya.

I have it set this way currently and really like it. I was just seeing if people have opinions on the build quality of each, since they're both >$100, and there are a lot of forum posts online criticizing the controllers breaking in less than a year and the horrible customer service from Scuf.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It makes sense that it would be based on medals and that is really stupid because that actively punishes good mercy play since an effective mercy is naturally going to have low objective time, low elims, and low damage output.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Maybe a way to buff Zen would be giving him a chance to escape if under attack. Lucio can boop and speed boost away, Mercy can zoom to a different ally, but Zenyatta is kind of hosed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, fragile, immobile, and the weakest healing output is just kicking a guy when he's down.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
My favorite ult is D.va's because you get to do fun things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsZpqZqzMk

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Why does every hero need to be picked by pros? Zen is fun, he can save the defense sometimes, that's all.

The problem with eSports as a concept is that everyone thinks every character needs to be valuable among the highest skilled people, and if the highest skilled people see something as useless then a balance patch needs to be issued. I had a lot of fun with unbalanced, untuned games in the 90s. Like the first competitive gaming titles like Quake 1/3/UT etc had a god tier rocket launcher and everything else was secondary, and those games were still incredibly fun for non-pros.

If Unreal Tournament had a bunch of selectable characters, one of whom started with rocket launchers, and the rest didn't and thus never got picked, that might have needed fixing. As it was the weapons were balanced by the fact that anyone could get any weapon if they had the skill/luck/map knowledge. Those games were balanced by the fact that everyone started out absolutely equal in a random spawn location, and everyone had an equal opportunity to acquire any particular weapon or item.

Edit: BTW Unreal Tournament 4 owns even in pre-alpha state, and it's free. Check it out.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Craptacular is literally an insane dota poster, you've been warned with regards to treating his posts seriously

Anyway the tl;dr on why your rank is X is that your initial rank post placement is probably based on the following factors:

1. Winning or losing your placement matches
2. Performance based on in-game metrics in those matches
3. Pre-existing quick play MMR

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
compet is fuckin lame

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is it worth getting a 144 Hz gaming monitor for this game? I'm playing on a 27" 1440p 60 Hz IPS panel and the upgrade would be a PG279Q which is $800. I have a 980Ti so driving 1440p and 144 FPS is certainly possible. But god drat that's a lot of money...

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Is it worth getting a 144 Hz gaming monitor for this game? I'm playing on a 27" 1440p 60 Hz IPS panel and the upgrade would be a PG279Q which is $800. I have a 980Ti so driving 1440p and 144 FPS is certainly possible. But god drat that's a lot of money...

They aren't that expensive if you aren't determined to get another 27" monitor. If 24" is enough (which it should be because you can still keep your other monitor as a secondary), consider a Asus VG248QE which is like $230 and dope as heck.

I like my 144hz and I think it makes my gaming more enjoyable and provides some small advantage to FPS games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why would you need to do this?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

verbal enema posted:

compet is fuckin lame

It's a shame that there's no other game mode and you're locked into playing it 24/7

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

khy posted:

It's a shame that there's no other game mode and you're locked into playing it 24/7

quickplay is still fun but something in compet is really getting at me.

its like the enemy team is trying or something. whatever it is i dont like it

khy
Aug 15, 2005

verbal enema posted:

quickplay is still fun but something in compet is really getting at me.

its like the enemy team is trying or something. whatever it is i dont like it

I know what your problem is

Competitive isn't geared towards people who spend three quarters of the match with their finger down on their mic key

Solve this and you will become an unbeatable god of overwatch, untouchable by the enemy and adored by your teammates as the one true player

I refuse to post four winky faces to indicate I'm just joking so I'll put this here instead

khy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 29, 2016

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i like to open every competitive game by asking people who their favorite goku is

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would you need to do this?

Got kinda spoiled with 1440p and the 27" size, hard to justify a downgrade in size or resolution. Besides it makes head shots easier. Not married to an IPS vs. TN but the TN model isn't much cheaper.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

khy posted:

I know what your problem is

Competitive isn't geared towards people who spend three quarters of the match with their finger down on their mic key

Solve this and you will become an unbeatable god of overwatch, untouchable by the enemy and adored by your teammates as the one true player

I refuse to post four winky faces to indicate I'm just joking so I'll put this here instead

but how will people know im in the game if im not talking all the time

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cap your fps at 30, since everyone will be moving slower they'll be easier to hit.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

verbal enema posted:

but how will people know im in the game if im not talking all the time

I was going to say they could look for your kills in the killfeed but you never get any so they can just look for your deaths instead

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

khy posted:

I was going to say they could look for your kills in the killfeed but you never get any so they can just look for your deaths instead

i got my first headshot as widow today with 77 hours played so you better get ready to see some kills in that feed

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Probably. Higher FPS is always a plus if you want to play seriously.

I actually lower my graphics settings to medium (only on a GTX 760 right now) to get ~110-120 FPS instead of ultra @ ~50-60 FPS.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

verbal enema posted:

i got my first headshot as widow today with 77 hours played so you better get ready to see some kills in that feed

I am literally on the edge of my seat!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
5 placement matches 5 losses

i thought i was better.....

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Holy poo poo, I love competetive. People playing objective, communicating, non-retarded hero picks. Had the most intense game on Hanamura go to sudden death after four rounds. My team had to attack, and a couple of us kind of gave up. We decided to do a tank rush, and went with two Winstons, a Reinhardt, a Lucio, a Mercy and a Hanzo (I don't know). I went for the big door as Rein, with Lucio, with the rest flanking. We took the point in like 30 seconds.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Well that was your first mistake right there

Do not worry VE when I get off work I will carry you to victory and beyond

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

verbal enema posted:

5 placement matches 5 losses

i thought i was better.....

It's heavily dependent on how well your teamwork is, for most games that means you're hosed if you're solo queuing.

In my case it doesn't help when I play Soldier because I don't trust my pubbie teammates.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Boogle posted:

It's heavily dependent on how well your teamwork is, for most games that means you're hosed if you're solo queuing.

In my case it doesn't help when I play Soldier because I don't trust my pubbie teammates.

Boogle, you can always trust me. TO LET YOU DOWN.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the game won't give me a numerical rating, when I play competitive it just assigns me the sound of Roadhog vaping his own farts

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I WON

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

💯

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Master Overwatch now shows your competitive stats. Sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Last week Zen earned the illustrious title of "only hero to see literally zero picks over 900 days points" in the invitational tournament according to Planet Overwatch. He could probably use some adjustments.

Blizzard only knows how to do damage adjustments so they'll just boost his left click damage and call it even.