Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Gotta say, digging the new title.

edit: New page, guess who just discovered Chuck Tingle?

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/746989084741083138

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Super cool.

All the countries in the Anglosphere who didn't have punitive government abuse "schools" for indigenous children take a step forward.

Okay, Barbados and Bermuda, you're good. The rest of you can stay inside for recess and think about what you've done.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
RE: pyramid schemes: An Amway guy bought me dinner one time and lent me his book. I read to see how far I could stomach it and don't even think I hit double digits.

It is pretty messed up. It's more than them calling themselves "entrepreneurs", it's a case of them buying into it wholesale and being taught to talk up the other people who wish to fancy themselves "entrepreneurs".

I remember an excerpt, paraphrased from my poor memory from near the beginning of the book. It was something about gauging different types of thinkers, how to engage with them, and how they would react to the pitch. Essentially, people who completely rejected the pitch were small-minded, and typically you could "talk to them about non-threatening things like the weather."

I set the book down and never picked it up again.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I touched the poop and I regret it immensely. My cousin has been posting a bunch of poo poo about TERRORISTS lately and I was hoping I could convince him that it's not the biggest threat in the world, then his friends joined in. He's red, I'm yellow, his friends are everyone else. It didn't help that I was a little tipsy and wrote my post like book-reports. I just wanted people to not be anxious paranoid fucks but apparently that just makes everyone mad.

The OP

Some of the shitstorm.

Also, the woman who liked purples post about wiping a country off the face of the earth posted this an hour earlier.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

On some news post about a textbook having controversial statements about 911 being a false flag operation

Somebody has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Jun 29, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...I feel like I need to know more about this textbook, even though I know I'n going to regret it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Regalingualius posted:

...I feel like I need to know more about this textbook, even though I know I'n going to regret it.

http://says.com/my/news/titas-lecturer-taught-students-that-osama-is-not-real

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Aesop Poprock posted:

Canada had those awful "civilizing" boarding schools that basically kidnapped first nation children and and tried to deprogram them of their savage ways right up through the 1980s though

1996. Still gotta make a thread on Aboriginal peoples in Canada, some day.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

quote:

ISIS is just a team of friends who get together to sing friendship song
Why do all the best ones appear right after a thread title change?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Vanellope posted:

My mom always taught me that everyone is equal and that I should be respectful of other cultures. She was always super progressive, in every sense of the word. I grew up around kids of every color and culture and sexual orientation.

Then she turned 65 and it was like she became a completely different person. Suddenly she started posting racist stuff on Facebook and sending me emails about how I should be careful around Muslims and stuff like that. I legitimately don't understand what happened to her but the older she gets the more racist she becomes. Last week she sent me an email asking if there were a lot of Muslim immigrants in my neighborhood because "she worried for my safety". Oh, and she's whining endlessly about "entitled people" and "welfare queens" now too.

I don't even know what to do about it, it's embarrassing and infuriating and I've tried to talk to her but she won't listen to me. How does that even happen? She used to be awesome. :(

Yea, my dad got old, got cancer, beat the first round of it but it spread to now just being treatable, not curable. Since then he's not able to work and has been spending a lot of time online reading crap by people his age. It has all been planting and reinforcing fears of foreign people and the government and he is just computer literate enough to find tons of sources that support his horrible arguments. I don't try to fight him anymore because of the cancer, but the fact that he used to be such a good, reasonable person is upsetting to me. The fact that we had our immigrant family that got dumped by our cousin live with us for over a year seems to follow the same "they're one of the good ones" poo poo my grandparents used to say.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Well I guess they aren't wrong... but what do the drama masks have to do with it? Is the fact that the word life has 4 letters supposed to make me laugh and then the crushing blow of realizing that the word death also has 4 letters supposed to make me cry? What if I feel nothing?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My brain keeps trying to make it a play on the "four letter word" euphemism for swearing but even that doesn't make sense.

Edit: maybe it's supposed to be one of those MIND BLOWING coincidences? Like the list of similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy only extremely :geno:

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Jun 29, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Here we go again. :smith:

Same person, first is Godwin's Law and :irony::

Then this well reasoned rebuttal to stdh.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Electric Lady posted:

RE: pyramid schemes: An Amway guy bought me dinner one time and lent me his book. I read to see how far I could stomach it and don't even think I hit double digits.

It is pretty messed up. It's more than them calling themselves "entrepreneurs", it's a case of them buying into it wholesale and being taught to talk up the other people who wish to fancy themselves "entrepreneurs".

I remember an excerpt, paraphrased from my poor memory from near the beginning of the book. It was something about gauging different types of thinkers, how to engage with them, and how they would react to the pitch. Essentially, people who completely rejected the pitch were small-minded, and typically you could "talk to them about non-threatening things like the weather."

I set the book down and never picked it up again.

What's hilarious(ly sad) is that the indoctrination techniques these scam businesses use are specifically designed to extract as much money as possible out of the gullible idiots who proudly declare themselves "entrepreneurs" after a one-hour seminar about how to talk down to small-minded people who immediately call bullshit.

They'd be illegal by now, but every time someone drafts legislation to put a stop to this crap at the state or federal level it's quickly snuffed out by a shitton of people erupting from the woodwork to complain that "government is trying to kill small business," which is an incredible bucket of bullshit because the guy who created and owns Amway is worth USD$5 billion and owns an NBA team.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

1) Forward this post to the secret service.

2) ReasonableGunOwner.jpeg

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ratbert90 posted:

His brother commented "That's not funny..." which I found hilarious.

I know I've talked about this guy before, but I only just realized he's been a walmart employee for years now. We live in Florida. It is all starting to make sense.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
One of my room mates in college was in that Amway cult bullshit. He was always bragging about how how successful he was to other people in the dorm and trying to recruit them. What I got to hear that everyone else didn't was his constant calls to his parents begging for money to go to Amway conferences or buy Amway books/CDs.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ratbert90 posted:

It's been 8 years, and 0buttma is gonna take are guns any day now. I can just feel it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Question Mark Mound posted:

Why do all the best ones appear right after a thread title change?

Sorry, country of cucks is too great

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The conferences and books are how most of the big wigs in Amway, make their money. My wife and I almost got sucked in a few years ago. My wife met a woman at work who was interested in having us a join a "program" she was in, and thought we'd be a great fit. We met with them twice, once at a coffee shop and once at our apartment. They gave us one of the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" books about MLM and how it was the way of the future. The book was published about seven years before I read it, so I knew it was bullshit. I never actually finished the thing, and was kind of skeptical after getting the book. They kept us on the hook by claiming they were part of a mentorship program that would help get our poo poo together, due to depression and anxiety, I've had issues with motivation, and was actually hopeful about the whole thing, and thought they really wanted to help us. The couple then invited us to meet their own mentor at their house, it ended up being a three hour speech given to us and another couple already sucked in. The guy who spoke talked about improving your life and running your own business and all that, then, two and a half hours in he busts out the name Amway, and I just tuned out, I didn't much about them, but i did know they were shady and weird and that I didn't want to be involved, especially after reading their wikipedia page. After the speech, which ended on their whole MLM pyramid and all that, we got a box of books and crap and left. My wife didn't believe me at first about how this place was bad news, and I was pissed that the whole mentorship thing was just bullshit self help stuff from someone who wants you to give them money and nothing else. So when we turned them down, the couple took the box of books back and told us they'd keep in touch and see if we'd join some other time, it's been two years since that day, and we never heard back.

Sorry for the block of text, but it just make me so mad that these people manipulate your emotions and play off your hardships to drag you into this poo poo. I had to see a friend get dragged in, this friend was looking for help to invest some money to have a nest egg, but asked his "mentor" first, this mentor said not to put his money in CD's and stuff with the bank, but to just buy from their own Amway store, because you get money back!

AAAHHH!

Also, the guy who wrote Rich Dad Poor Dad is a douchebag.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
As much as it's infuriating to be manipulated in that way, there's a good chance that that person was manipulated in the exact same way, and probably even the person before them. I find people that switch to Amway/Cutco/Whatever MLM as their main income source more pitiable than annoying or infuriating.

e: Like, my sister got into selling Herbalife because of her fiancé, but they both have gainful employment otherwise. It still sucks to have it pushed on me, but since it's not their lifeblood, it doesn't feel like they're bombarding me with anything. Most people doing this stuff do it because they're out of options otherwise.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jun 29, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ularg posted:

The posts come like clockwork once or twice a day. Either about how great the products are or how everyone should join her. "Hey it doesn't matter, I pay $250 and I either sell the product or have a bunch of awesome candles".

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
One of my coworkers does Amway, and he's really into it. One day he hands me an energy drink, knowing that I drink them now and again. It's pretty good and I'd never seen the brand before.

3 minutes later he's got a printout ready to go with my order information for X# boxes of energy drinks. How the hell does that sort of thing even start to compete when places like Amazon and oh, I don't know, the GROCERY STORE exist.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's remarkable the kind of people that get sucked into MLM schemes. I had a friend who went on to become a marine biologist and travel the world. I'd probably put her on my short list of smartest people I've met. One day she told me she could get me an interview with a company that just moved into our city. I was working a pretty terrible job so I was pretty stoked about the opportunity.

Door-to-door water filter sales.

She was legitimately pissed at me when she heard I walked out of the presentation and sent me an angry voicemail about how she stuck her neck out for me. That was the last time I talked to her. So yeah, even smart people can be batshit crazy.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MLM doesn't compete with Amazon because it doesn't have to. When somebody sits down with you and tells you about how you can be YOUR OWN BOSS and make TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A MONTH, if you're not thinking critically about how this is too good to be true (especially if you don't know what MLM is or how it works) then you're sure as hell not going to go check the Amazon price of the same or a similar product.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
One of my FB friends almost exclusively posts what she made her kids for lunch or dinner. She posted that she should make a cook book, and, of course, several of her friends thought it would be the "best thing ever!"
Who thinks a cook book with generic food is a good idea?
Apples on a ham sandwich.
Mini bell peppers stuffed with generic chicken salad.
Pasta with cubed cold cuts and cheese.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Scensty is on it's way out, but I keep seeing poo poo for those wraps and one person I know is super into the Dove chocolate thing. So imagine those really dumb minion memes your parents post, but with a sales pitch for dove chocolate at the end of it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Scensty is on it's way out, but I keep seeing poo poo for those wraps and one person I know is super into the Dove chocolate thing. So imagine those really dumb minion memes your parents post, but with a sales pitch for dove chocolate at the end of it.

As in, the gross, waxy Dove chocolate that is sold in regular stores? What is this new scam?

A woman I met once and followed on Instagram some time ago is now a "beachbody coach." She even changed her instagram handle (which I didn't know you could do!) from "randomname" to "name_fitmom." Every post is about fitness and beachbody products and shakes and workouts, usually combined with a picture of her kid. It's like all of Pinterest in every post. The workouts are quite good--I can still barely complete an Insanity workout, and I work out intensely at least 6 days a week--but it's a total scam.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

LordSaturn posted:

MLM doesn't compete with Amazon because it doesn't have to. When somebody sits down with you and tells you about how you can be YOUR OWN BOSS and make TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A MONTH, if you're not thinking critically about how this is too good to be true (especially if you don't know what MLM is or how it works) then you're sure as hell not going to go check the Amazon price of the same or a similar product.

Pyramid schemes and similar scams have been finely tuned to smash past your skepticism barriers and convince you to sign away your sense as soon as possible. I became a lot more sympathetic towards people who fall for them when my brother went to one of those timeshare presentations. He went purely for the free hotel stay, and left reassuring us how he was aware that these were scams and huge wastes of money.

Halfway through the presentation he called us on the phone babbling about how great a deal it was and how he'd be foolish to give up this opportunity!

Thankfully we convinced him to sleep on it and he woke up the next day realizing what a terrible idea it was, and didn't sign on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ularg posted:

Same person, first is Godwin's Law and :irony::

Admittedly, the no-fly list really is incredibly lovely. He's absolutely right that you get put on it with no warning and it's nearly impossible to get off it, but they also put people like babies, celebrities, reporters, and politicians on the list for little to no apparent reason and no real way to find out why you're on the list. Mark Ruffalo got put on the watch list just for campaigning in support of an environmentalist film. It seems like just having the right name or making repeated trips to the Middle East can be enough to have you pulled off a plane. It's a pretty messed up system to begin with, so I'm not too eager to start expanding the number of things the list can deny to people put on it.

Maybe just expand the gun purchase denials to people who are investigated for specific causes like the FBI investigated the Pulse shooter for terrorism connections? Like actually be able to give a legitimate reason for the investigation and denial, instead of tying it into a broken system.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Forever Living is amazing. I had a friend from school get majorly sucked into it, and she was completely delusional.

"Going car shopping today. What colour should I get?" *generic stock photo of sports cars*

"Thinking of booking a trip to Florida! Thanks FL! #blessed" *generic stock photo of some random hotel with palm trees*

Last time I saw her she was still driving some crappy old car and the exciting trips had not been booked. She's quietly given it up.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

As in, the gross, waxy Dove chocolate that is sold in regular stores? What is this new scam?

A woman I met once and followed on Instagram some time ago is now a "beachbody coach." She even changed her instagram handle (which I didn't know you could do!) from "randomname" to "name_fitmom." Every post is about fitness and beachbody products and shakes and workouts, usually combined with a picture of her kid. It's like all of Pinterest in every post. The workouts are quite good--I can still barely complete an Insanity workout, and I work out intensely at least 6 days a week--but it's a total scam.

Besides candy and sweets, they have other ready to make pastries, drink mixes. It's almost like that fundraiser poo poo you'd bring home at Christmas as an elementary student. It's super weird, and their website isn't very forthcoming about what is for sale, but I guess that's so you'll either host a party or become a seller.

The fun part is at the bottom of the website, there is a logo for the Direct Selling Association (https://directselling.org/). I guess it's supposed to appear like a Better Business Bureau, policing Pyramid Schemes MLM Direct Selling Businesses, but it's a lovely wordpress site spread so entirely thin.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
My Mom bought a scentsy stuffed animal to use with her young patients (she's a psychiatrist). It doesn't calm them down but it helps them remain calm, especially if they take it home.

She then bought like 20 of them.

Edit: still, it's a scam

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

One of my friends is into that 21 day fix plus personal trainer thing and it's all she ever posts about aside from her kids. She made a "fitness and nutrition guru" page for herself and is constantly asking me to join because I post about yoga and hiking benefits sometimes. I don't want to buy like $100 worth of colour coded tupperware or join a fitness club full of young bored moms. Not my thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Besides candy and sweets, they have other ready to make pastries, drink mixes. It's almost like that fundraiser poo poo you'd bring home at Christmas as an elementary student. It's super weird, and their website isn't very forthcoming about what is for sale, but I guess that's so you'll either host a party or become a seller.

The fun part is at the bottom of the website, there is a logo for the Direct Selling Association (https://directselling.org/). I guess it's supposed to appear like a Better Business Bureau, policing Pyramid Schemes MLM Direct Selling Businesses, but it's a lovely wordpress site spread so entirely thin.

I mean I looked that up too, earlier, and apparently the DSA is a real thing, founded by Avon and the like; and they claim only to have like 5% MLMs in their membership (though why anything more than 0% is not a big problem I'm not sure). But yeah, that website could not look more like some domain squatter setting up shop.

I guess my question is how is that chocolate thing able to use the Dove name if they're unaffiliated and shady (or even just unaffiliated)?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My mom recently cut contact with a lifelong friend because she apparently can't talk about anything but Amway anymore. It's a shame, I always thought she was such a cool lady when I was growing up.

The only MLM person on my feed is into Herbalife. She's an award-winning chef who has taken a ton of nutrition classes, I have no idea what's come over her. She used to post food porn, now it's just bottles of algae. And selfies meant to show how well it's working, despite the fact she looks exactly the same (and still overweight) in all of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My mom was into Amway like 15 years ago I had no idea they were still around. I think they changed their name a few times.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One of my students tried to sell me some milshake powder that would replace my meals. I asked her if it was a pyramid scheme and she said no but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was nineteen and working a part-time job at Gizmos & Gadgets when a co-worker tells me about a sales opportunity that she and her husband are involved with and how wonderful it is. Would I want to come to a two-hour seminar? Sure! Worst that happens is I waste a Saturday morning. Well, it's forty-five minutes into the presentation when they finally remove the blank card from the easel and reveal the Amway logo. I attempt to quietly get up and leave and I'm almost at the door when the presenter asks where I'm going and requests that I sit down at least until he's finished with his presentation. A few people start chanting "Sit down! Sit down! Sit down!" and I quickly get the gently caress out of there. She calls me later that night, asking if I'm okay and when I'd want to come back. At that point I decide that the mall job isn't worth seeing this woman four times a week, so I quit. She continues calling me twice a month for the next year and a half.

This was in 2002. She last called in 2012 before I changed my number for an unrelated reason.