Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lex's plan itself is laid out better in this cut. Lex is still terrible though.

The character that benefits most from this cut I'd say is Lois Lane. Amy Adams had to be wondering what they hell they did to her part when she saw the theatrical cut of the movie.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

Lex's plan itself is laid out better in this cut. Lex is still terrible though.

Yeah, I mean if you didn't like the Lex character or Eisenberg in the theatrical cut, you likely still won't enjoy his performance in the Ultimate Cut. But at least you get a better sense of his motivation and how he was maniacally pulling strings and manipulating everyone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The funeral stuff at the end also benefited well from the small character moment additions, the problem is that the third act of the film is still a goddamn mess and none of that stuff actually feels earned in the storytelling. Everything before the actual Batman v Superman works a lot better now. Everything from there on is still a mess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

The funeral stuff at the end also benefited well from the small character moment additions, the problem is that the third act of the film is still a goddamn mess and none of that stuff actually feels earned in the storytelling. Everything before the actual Batman v Superman works a lot better now. Everything from there on is still a mess.

I agree. I shared pretty much the same sentiment in the Batman v Superman CineD thread. The build-up in the film is super solid in the Ultimate Edition, and sets the stage for the Batman/Superman fight really well. But yeah, the resulting payoff in the third act is still delivered in whoopee cushion fashion since it remained largely the same. Everything involving Wonder Woman is still awesome though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's clear from the cuts they just tossed out character moments and actual important scenes in the movie so that they could keep all the action in. Not surprising but still I wonder how they thought the movie worked like it did before.

Like for instance the entire Africa/Bullet subplot in the movie. If they were going to cut that much integral stuff from it then why not cut the entire thing out? As it stands in the theatrical cut it feels completely unnecessary. When you see the Ultimate Edition though it becomes one of the more important subplots in the film and gives you character moments that were severely needed. I don't know why if you're going to cut that much out why you wouldn't just remove it all? Because it really doesn't work in the regular cut with so much missing.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 28, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Travis343 posted:

I think in order for a directors cut of BvS to magically become a good movie they'd have to do cut it down and not just add stuff. The movie was already too long, just like Man of Steel was, and now it's three hours. Most of the stuff they're adding should have been in the movie to begin with but there was at least half an hour of stuff that didn't need to be there already.

Yeah, like Doomsday.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can't lose Doomsday without losing Wonder Woman and if you do that the movie's not worth watching in any capacity, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, here's a question: Does Superman actually talk to Wonder Woman at all in this cut?

Because if not, what the gently caress.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MrAristocrates posted:

Oh, here's a question: Does Superman actually talk to Wonder Woman at all in this cut?

Because if not, what the gently caress.

He talks to her in the theatrical cut, if just for a single line. WW says "This creature seems to feed on energy" and Supes responds "This creature is from another world, my world." WW replies "I've killed things from other worlds before."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

To be fair there's not a lot of downtime during the fight for them to have any kind of conversation.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Did they fix it where Batman goes "Oh, oh yeah I emailed her, sorry I forgot."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sounds like WB hosed up royally with jumpstarting the DC Cinematic Universe. I'm sure a movie that was just a letdown in the later fights rather than a nigh-incomprehensible clusterfuck would have done much better. It's a lot easier to suspend disbelief and forgive issues if you're at least entertained.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately it really is hard to justify released a three hour $250M superhero movie in first run. I think it would have made less money even being a better film overall. The problem lies in letting it be bloated enough to need that kind of runtime in the first place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I doubt even the fixed version is good enough to justify that runtime, which might be the reason I'm most apprehensive about seeing it again. Even if this version of this story "needs" to be this long, there's almost certainly a better story that doesn't.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Good points. Still, from the "building a universe" perspective, even a movie that made less money might have been better if it left people with a better taste in their mouths. Good will goes a long way towards building an audience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

Unfortunately it really is hard to justify released a three hour $250M superhero movie in first run. I think it would have made less money even being a better film overall. The problem lies in letting it be bloated enough to need that kind of runtime in the first place.
This is exactly why Marvel didn't start with Avengers. It would have been like 5 hours long.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is exactly why Marvel didn't start with Avengers. It would have been like 5 hours long.

X-Men avoided that problem though. BvS is bloated because it's bloated, not because having three protagonists and two antagonists inherently requires some massively convoluted plot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

You can't lose Doomsday without losing Wonder Woman and if you do that the movie's not worth watching in any capacity, though.

Wonder Woman's scenes may have been entertaining but she had no business being in the film at all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Wonder Woman's scenes may have been entertaining but she had no business being in the film at all.

She had no reason to be in the story, no, but it was all about business. :10bux:

It sounds like they could have dropped Wonder Woman, dropped all the other superhero poo poo aside from a line here or there, and changed the Doomsday thing to a much lesser (but still significant) threat. Maybe just resurrect Zod or something? I don't know.

But you could cut out all that poo poo, lay in a teaser or two for what's to come, save a big dramatic moment (the death of Superman) for later, and get it done in a compelling fashion in 2 hrs 15 minutes tops. I'd prefer something even shorter, but that's not the time we live in.

Still, WB does this? Instead of blowing a huge wad of nonsense / 3 hours into theaters? They build up an audience of people interested in seeing what's next. The whole Marvel vs. DC thing is something that next to nobody cares about. People just want to see entertaining movies. And people want them to be fun, especially right now, when the real world is so loving dreary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like half the MCU movies have characters with no business in them hanging around. It's fine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I thought we were talking about ways to shorten the movie. I agree it's not a crime to have other characters lurking around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Like half the MCU movies have characters with no business in them hanging around. It's fine.

Yeah but see, those movies aren't bloated messes that make no sense. Falcon doesn't take valuable screen time away from Ant-man's plot and character motivations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least 4 of them are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Recently I learned that pearl necklaces, at least good ones, have knots between each pearl, so if it does break, then you only loose like one. So either Thomas Wayne was super cheap, or not a single person who's drawn or filmed a Batman's Parents Dying scene (which is a lot) has any idea how things actually work.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

Recently I learned that pearl necklaces, at least good ones, have knots between each pearl, so if it does break, then you only loose like one. So either Thomas Wayne was super cheap, or not a single person who's drawn or filmed a Batman's Parents Dying scene (which is a lot) has any idea how things actually work.

They are literally all copying Frank Miller. Nobody is doing a pearl necklace scene on their own after 1986.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

No knots leaves more space for pearls. That's how the rich do it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I thought the stupidest thing was how the pearls get caught around the gun, and then the gun tightens - and then holds there for at least a second. As if the mugger was not just intentionally killing her - intentionally killing her and destroying her necklace at the same time. To make it more dramatic. That scene felt like a goth 12 year old directed it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ashpanash posted:

She had no reason to be in the story, no, but it was all about business. :10bux:

It sounds like they could have dropped Wonder Woman, dropped all the other superhero poo poo aside from a line here or there, and changed the Doomsday thing to a much lesser (but still significant) threat. Maybe just resurrect Zod or something? I don't know.

You know, they had a pale, dead, bowl cut rockin' Kryptonian - Do Bizzarro. He already hates Superman, just make the resurrection 1) Dumb him down and 2) Give him Kryptonite resistance/immunity. Now, Batman and Supes have a reason to team up. Go ahead and throw the Kryptonite spear away (because it's useless and now it makes sense to do so because it only hurts Superman). Plus, his neck is already broken, so you can just do away with the whole Of Mice and Men angle that started here. Maybe, have Supes try and throw him into the sun and Batman has to get the nuke out of there at the same time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Travis343 posted:

They are literally all copying Frank Miller. Nobody is doing a pearl necklace scene on their own after 1986.

This is true. That's another thing that needs to retired from Batman films, anything done by Frank Miller. It can join the Joker and Waynes being murdered on the heap. You know I was watching Batman 89 not to long ago, and while the Joker's origin is movie specific, his behavior actually feels more like a classic Joker than any others. He's nuts, but not a slasher villain. There is this childish aspect to his menace. This is a Joker I could imagine stealing Christmas then trying to poison the whole city. Plus I never notice that his gang has Neil Adam's Joker faces on their jackets.

I actually think Doomsday should have been Amazo. You get your big monster fight, its a known character, but you literally anything saying "oh yea, Superman is totally going to die here".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but see, those movies aren't bloated messes that make no sense. Falcon doesn't take valuable screen time away from Ant-man's plot and character motivations.

Age of Ultron absolutely is bloated to that extent. The Thanos stuff in GotG doesn't do anything but slow the film down and make him look less threatening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

At least 4 of them are.

Haha, sure buddy. Even Age of Ultron looks like a lean, focused endeavor compared to BvS.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I finally watched Age of Ultron earlier this month and it's nowhere near as terrible as the goon hivemind claims it is.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Age of Ultron absolutely is bloated to that extent. The Thanos stuff in GotG doesn't do anything but slow the film down and make him look less threatening.

Sure. But they have a good track record. 4 slogs in their library isn't perfect but it's not like starting at the plate down 0-2. (To extend this metaphor into overuse, I get the feeling Suicide Squad will be more of a foul ball than a hit, doing just well enough to keep them at the plate.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The more important point is that in direct comparison to BvS there are zero, absolutely no MCU films that are as much of convoluted overstuffed messes as BvS is. Not that there are no bloated MCU films, because jesus christ is Age of Ultron a goddamn disaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BvS is bad but at least its failures are interesting to discuss. Thor 2 is a giant blank spot on the universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

BvS is bad but at least its failures are interesting to discuss. Thor 2 is a giant blank spot on the universe.

I'd rather watch an enjoyable bland film than a lovely one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Thor 2 being enjoyable would involve it evoking any emotion at all. It is one of the blandest movies at all which is pretty insane considering the premise is THOR VS SPACE ELVES.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

In this case, though, to each their own, really. It's not worth fighting about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Thor 2 being enjoyable would involve it evoking any emotion at all. It is one of the blandest movies at all which is pretty insane considering the premise is THOR VS SPACE ELVES.

If you didn't find some of the action setpieces or Loki scenes entertaining the problem isn't with the film.

Hell, Thor hanging Mjolnir on a coat hanger alone is a great gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The final act with the portals is great fun (eg Thor on the Underground), and there is some good Thor / Loki banter. It's not a great film though.

• Locked thread