Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

That Reddit garbage seems mean spirited and somehow racist. Why are we being birthers about a guy. About every guy from Africa. The year book poo poo wasn't even persuasive. His picture was on a different page from the purported now 23 yos.

Playing Internet Detective around real life events is kind of fun and the concept is hilarious. I'd feel the same way if someone tried to claim Joe Ingles was 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one is claiming joe Ingles is 40.

Oh a black guy from Africa "looks" older I bet he is lol. Just seems very off putting and causal to me.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

No one is claiming joe Ingles is 40.

Oh a black guy from Africa "looks" older I bet he is lol. Just seems very off putting and causal to me.

Except that it's making a bunch of noise because people are finding various photos and supposed witnesses, newsletters, etc. It's the amateur looking breadcrumb trail that people are globbing on to. Zhou Qi had similar questions about being older than advertised but people don't have any pictures of his mom giving birth outside of the Terminator 2 premiere to stoke the flames.

Yi Jianlian lied about his age (and was still drafted by...the Bucks!), Shabazz Mohammad lied about his age and it was a news paper reporter who found out.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 30, 2016

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I mean there were suspicions for a while from NBA teams, it didn't just start on reddit.

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/745966263525122050

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also there was just a Congolese 29-year-old pretending to be 17 in Canada.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

euphronius posted:

That Reddit garbage seems mean spirited and somehow racist. Why are we being birthers about a guy. About every guy from Africa. The year book poo poo wasn't even persuasive. His picture was on a different page from the purported now 23 yos.

Are you even loosely familiar with how yearbooks typically work

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

xbilkis posted:

Are you even loosely familiar with how yearbooks typically work

He was homeschooled

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

You're corny, and wrong.

Nobody said a word about Cheick Diallo, Pascal Siakam, Michael Gbinje, or Ben Bentil. Last year, not a word about Mudiay. Why? Because they weren't lying about their ages.

Do you think Thon Maker did a first tour of high school at age 9-13, was in the same class with people who are now 23-24? Do you think multiple random australians conspired to post their yearbooks on the internet? Thon Maker's race is Billy Madison and yours is sucker

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/ben_topper/status/748288695686537217

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I don't even care if Thon Maker is lying. If he is, and the Bucks can prove it, he and his agent should be punished by the league. All I'm saying is if these reddit dudes were around in 1994 they'd still be searching for the real murderer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you mean I'm corny or you know corny

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Terry Glenn posted:

I don't even care if Thon Maker is lying. If he is, and the Bucks can prove it, he and his agent should be punished by the league. All I'm saying is if these reddit dudes were around in 1994 they'd still be searching for the real murderer.

I think if his age was proved to be a lie, the NBA would void the pick. What happens if the NBA voids a pick? Does the team get another pick?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I think if his age was proved to be a lie, the NBA would void the pick. What happens if the NBA voids a pick? Does the team get another pick?

Your getting into Union poo poo here unless that is spelled out in the CBA. Which I doubt.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

In other news, Wade might be trying to DeAndre the Spurs and Mavs offseason.
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/748286442187587585

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Thon Maker is not 23

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Assuming Thon isn't 19, as a Bucks fan, would you rather your team got tricked by something bored internet detectives were able to dispel? Or that your team knowingly drafted a raw 24 year old who couldn't dominate a bunch of kids

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/sources-warriors-frustration-bogut-could-lead-trade
This is an odd story. Apparently the Warriors were frustrated with Bogut's play in the postseason, so it's not a big deal that they'll dump him if they get durant. It reads like they're trying to turn Warriors fans against him before it happens, to prevent a backlash.

The Warriors may have won the championship if he hadn't been hurt. I hate stupid local media games.

WhyteRyce posted:

Assuming Thon isn't 19, as a Bucks fan, would you rather your team got tricked by something bored internet detectives were able to dispel? Or that your team knowingly drafted a raw 24 year old who couldn't dominate a bunch of kids

I suppose the second. So much of NBA success comes down to body stuff. If they think they can teach him to play, why not. It doesn't justify taking him 10th, I think it shows that they didn't know. Whiteside's success shows that guys can learn to play later, there's nothing about being 19 that makes you more open to sport-teaching. I hope he's successful, and being involved in this reindeer game has taken him from refugee from war torn fake klepto state to millionaire, good for him, bad for Bucks.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 30, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

But I thought losing Bogut was one of the reasons they lost the last 2 games?!?!

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Yi Jianlian lied about his age (and was still drafted by...the Bucks!)

Don't forget about Ersan Ilyasova! He's probably in actuality Arsen Ilyasov from Uzbekistan. Arsen was three years older than Ersan claims to be, and mysteriously vanished at the exact same time Ersan first showed up on the Turkish basketball scene. The Bucks have the market cornered on high upside foreign big men who lie about their ages.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Dejan Bimble posted:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/sources-warriors-frustration-bogut-could-lead-trade
This is an odd story. Apparently the Warriors were frustrated with Bogut's play in the postseason, so it's not a big deal that they'll dump him if they get durant. It reads like they're trying to turn Warriors fans against him before it happens, to prevent a backlash.

The Warriors may have won the championship if he hadn't been hurt. I hate stupid local media games.

29 NBA GMs colluding to put monster offers on both Barnes and Ezeli and refusing to take Bogut, let's go team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bogut was terrible, I'm not sure what the made-up story is.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Metapod posted:

He was homeschooled

It shows

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It was incredibly irresponsible of Bogut to hurt his knee. Get it together dude

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Dejan Bimble posted:

You're corny, and wrong.

Nobody said a word about Cheick Diallo, Pascal Siakam, Michael Gbinje, or Ben Bentil. Last year, not a word about Mudiay. Why? Because they weren't lying about their ages.

Do you think Thon Maker did a first tour of high school at age 9-13, was in the same class with people who are now 23-24? Do you think multiple random australians conspired to post their yearbooks on the internet? Thon Maker's race is Billy Madison and yours is sucker

After the way Mudiay shot last season, has anyone looked into if he's actually younger than he claims to be? I wanna see the receipts.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

You're corny, and wrong.

Didn't the ncaa have a big ordeal about Diallo causing him not to be eligible for weeks?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

You can make whatever helldump detective claims you'd like, but the reality is that a 16/17 year old would NEVER have this

As their signature. The defense rests.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I'm from Perth where Thon is from and I went to high school with him, I graduated in the year 2000 so he is turning 33 this year some time and in high school he couldn't even buy booze himself let alone dominate kids at basketball. He is probably defecting to the USA because you have a higher retirement age or some poo poo.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I've stood back to back with Thom and he's 6'2" at most.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I've stood back to back with Thom and he's 6'2" at most.

I saw a picture with him standing next to Charles Barkley and Charles is taller so Thon has to be at max like 5'8"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EMC posted:

I'm from Perth where Thon is from and I went to high school with him, I graduated in the year 2000 so he is turning 33 this year some time and in high school he couldn't even buy booze himself let alone dominate kids at basketball. He is probably defecting to the USA because you have a higher retirement age or some poo poo.

If you talk to him he only makes references to Alice in Chains and Soul Asylum so I think that checks out.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Oh man tonight is free agency night

It's going to be wild

If we don't tear each other apart over one African child's fraud and deceit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's going to be wild

Tomorrow night, boss.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's going to be wild

Free Agency starts tomorrow night.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Getting the dates wrong, man.

Much like the dates on Thon Maker's birth certificate

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Did nobody learn from last year? Free agency doesn't matter until the day players can sign.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I don't know what can top the deandre fiasco but I want to find out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All the people that say they're prepared for big contracts but actually aren't and freak out.

There's gonna be a possible max offer bid battle for Evan Fournier.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

I don't know what can top the deandre fiasco but I want to find out

Hopefully multiple teams get their free agents to DeAndre other teams.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Eltoasto posted:

But I thought losing Bogut was one of the reasons they lost the last 2 games?!?!

Said nobody, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have been convinced Robert Covington is better than Barnes

Good job Internet.

• Locked thread