Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zore posted:

The Witcher 3 was a weird mess that still had really bad combat. Its really bizarre to me that people keep hyping it as one of the best RPGs ever right now.

Like, its not bad or anything but best WRPG in five years? Really?

Combat's great. I played it first on Death March and enjoyed the combat as it forced me to engage with every mechanism to survive an encounter with three wild dogs.

That said I totally understand someone not engaging with it pre-whatever patch fixes the movement. That momentum based movement is what turned me off Grand Theft Auto but the difference there is you're not fighting melee enemies in precise combat.

e: Shoot, I also liked in the combat in the other two games. Again, played them all at the highest difficulty out the gate which forced me to use everything. Kind of bounced off Witcher 2 because you have to meditate to take a potion and quen is the only spell that matters by a wide margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Every mechanic, hah. The most LOL moments for Witcher 3 were when they nerfed the fire spell and then also messed with everyone's min level reqs on the gear.

I do not have fond memories of Witcher 3 combat. I ended up being so disappointed in the combat that I just broke down and clicked the spin to win talent, knowing it was busted. Also there were a slew of broken concoctions that were very OP.

Still had a lot of fun with the game thanks to the character writing and acting. The setting fascinated me at first but lost its luster like halfway through Skellige, which is p good for an RPG.

Still need to do the two DLCs but the combat was such a titanic drag.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zore posted:

The Witcher 3 was a weird mess that still had really bad combat. Its really bizarre to me that people keep hyping it as one of the best RPGs ever right now.

Yes. Witcher 3 owns. The combat is the weakest part, but still decent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Every mechanic, hah. The most LOL moments for Witcher 3 were when they nerfed the fire spell and then also messed with everyone's min level reqs on the gear.

I do not have fond memories of Witcher 3 combat. I ended up being so disappointed in the combat that I just broke down and clicked the spin to win talent, knowing it was busted. Also there were a slew of broken concoctions that were very OP.

Still had a lot of fun with the game thanks to the character writing and acting. The setting fascinated me at first but lost its luster like halfway through Skellige, which is p good for an RPG.

Still need to do the two DLCs but the combat was such a titanic drag.

That's the kind of stuff I like discovering, though. Same reason why I stuck with Bravely Default and the Gothic series. Goes back into my love of janky PC RPGs, I like weeding through options to find the optimal stuff. I will die by Mass Effect 1 because even though the sequels are undeniably better playing games the original was just more interesting.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The combat in all Witcher is bad. And it's not cause of the controls, since you can press two buttons to kill all enemies while remaining invincible

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any of you goons any good at tracking down Japanese wikis/guides for games? I play import titles more than anything but it's always a hassle to find stuff for import-only titles. Are there any ways to search for them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Any of you goons any good at tracking down Japanese wikis/guides for games? I play import titles more than anything but it's always a hassle to find stuff for import-only titles. Are there any ways to search for them?

Usually if you just google the Japanese name you'll find like six wikis in the first few pages.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Usually if you just google the Japanese name you'll find like six wikis in the first few pages.

Is there anywhere you can go to see what the names are in Japanese symbols?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Immediate thoughts on SO5 after like an hour's gameplay last night:
- The fields actually look really pretty? They're guilty of mass effect style 'combat zones' but at least you can traipse through them pretty quickly, even if you do run like a speedwalker going really fast
- The combat is straight up SO3 but faster and without the Fury bar. The main character's normals are ripped straight from Fayt. The large-scale battle right at the start of the game was pretty neat, though.
- The camera bobs like a motherfucker if you're going up and down hills.
- The heroine's face still looks like a really bad poser model or something.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zore posted:

I don't get it either. 90% of the game seems to be walking and watching people talk and the story is not that good. 20-30 hours in, the only interesting parts were the beginning, the Bloody Baron (not the whole story, just the parts with him talking), and the hot witch.

I just did this chapter recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gaPjPAcAik A hour of nothing but story and all of it boring. It's just every character you meet telling you to go to a different character. I was thinking it was an okay game but ever since I got to Novigrad, my opinion has been going lower and lower. I think I'm about to quit it.

What little gameplay there is is just roll and stabbing everything.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody played Sword Coast Legends? It's on sale on Steam right now for $10 and I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about it. Personally, I've heard some complaints that it doesn't truly follow the actual D&D rule sets but I don't really care about that, I just want to know if it's a fun RPG with interesting combat and...

1. Are your AI companions good enough at the game where you can kinda stick with your own character without having to micro the rest of your party much? and...
2. Are individual classes fun and engaging enough to keep you entertained without feeling like you need to control the rest of your party? and...
3. Can I play pure roles? Can I make a healer that literally only buffs and heals other classes for the entire game, or a tank that only exists to absorb agro and enemy hits but doesn't do much damage, etc?

the 4e backlash caused Wizards of the Coast to give up on ever putting effort or imagination into a D&D product again

take a look at Divinity: Original Sin instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

witcher 3 is the second best wrpg ever made, but wrpgs are crap and i can name maybe three that are actually good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Played Grand Kingdom for a few and I'm coming off it pretty high. I'll probably hit a repetitive wall quickly like Grand Knights History but that game ended up working well in casual play, at least for the first couple weeks until every Japanese party was unbeatable.

Verranicus posted:

Is there anywhere you can go to see what the names are in Japanese symbols?

Go to the game's Wikipedia page and copy the kana (the name in parenthesis). For example Star Ocean 5 would be スターオーシャン5 .

Paste the name into google and append 攻略 which means strategy guide.

Google translate whatever pages come up. For example here's a Star Ocean 5 strategy guide that was the first page brought up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1: mask of the betrayer

2: witcher 3

3: ill get back to you

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Goons most hated, Undertale

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its no drakensang river of time thats for sure :

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

undertale is okay but it lifts everything it has including its music from japanese games

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Tae posted:

Don't get that one either. Oh boy, bad pun jokes and walking to the right forever.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Undertale is fine, it's fans of Undertale that are poo poo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

respect gothic, or die

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I like Fallout 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Davincie posted:

respect gothic, or die

Agreed.

Also all Japanese RPGs are literally made for young boys. How many times do I have to save the world with the Concept Power of Love?

Persona 5 deliver us from this drought since, well Persona 4.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ya'll some uber plebs, Witcher 3 is one of the best games every made. Hyperdimension Neptunia and Fairy Fencer don't even come close.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Alpha Protocol was cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Also all Japanese RPGs are literally made for young boys

Persona 5 deliver us from this drought
uhm, hm.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

al-azad posted:

Agreed.

Also all Japanese RPGs are literally made for young boys. How many times do I have to save the world with the Concept Power of Love?

what exactly do you think is different about Persona?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Agreed.

the part of xenogears where they saved the world with the power of friendship

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Deus Ex was cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also persona 3/4 are the most power of love jrpgs released in the past 15 years

like other games talk about the connection between the main characters or how you should help other people and stuff but there's usually still some substantive argument or macguffin that people are fighting over and that moves the plot along, and the villain is either convinced to back down because of actual arguments against them or they're defeated because their plan wasn't well thought out

persona 3 and 4 literally have you defeat gods because you care about each other really hard, and friendship is what powers every single action you take in battle

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alpha Protocol owns.

I'm playing a Taiwanese RPG, or "TRPG," lately. I think people in this thread would like it.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm playing a Taiwanese RPG, or "TRPG," lately. I think people in this thread would like it.

That looks neat, I'll have to check it out. I'm enjoying the trend of RPGs from different countries being more available lately, I wanna pick up Aurion soon too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

Agreed.

... Did you play a different Persona 4 than I did? The one where the endgame wasn't literally having the power of friendship giving you an upgrade?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

That looks neat, I'll have to check it out. I'm enjoying the trend of RPGs from different countries being more available lately, I wanna pick up Aurion soon too

there was this chinese ps1 rpg i remember liking, id have to look up its name

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anyway, there are a lot of excellent JRPGs which aren't just about FRIENDSHIP SAVING THE WORLD, either because they're low-scale (like Atelier) or because they're a bit more self-aware/ironic.

That also said I'm kinda annoyed that everything has to be ironic and self-aware and am enjoying Tokyo MIrage Sessions because it is shamelessly cheesy without trying to be tedious about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I'm a little ways into it and so far I dig it a lot. The translation, while stilted, is complete, and I haven't yet run into a line that was outright incomprehensible. The story comes through strong anyway, and it's breezy and very well-animated (especially for 1995).

Chinese Paladin has a really good reputation. After the 2001 remake (whose fan translation was never completed), it got five sequels, an MMORPG, and two TV series, so you don't just have to take my word for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Don't get that one either. Oh boy, bad pun jokes and walking to the right forever.

Bad puns loving own though???

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

... Did you play a different Persona 4 than I did? The one where the endgame wasn't literally having the power of friendship giving you an upgrade?
Endgame? That's what the entire social link system is.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I like WRPGs but literally the only WRPG I can think of that I enjoyed rather than just tolerated the moment to moment gameplay is Mass Effect 3.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm a little ways into it and so far I dig it a lot. The translation, while stilted, is complete, and I haven't yet run into a line that was outright incomprehensible. The story comes through strong anyway, and it's breezy and very well-animated (especially for 1995).

Chinese Paladin has a really good reputation. After the 2001 remake (whose fan translation was never completed), it got five sequels, an MMORPG, and two TV series, so you don't just have to take my word for it.

The remake looks 100x better too so it's a shame it never got translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Bad puns loving own though???

Undertale fans must be huge fans of the film, Batman and Robin.