Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
The USA mandates you get time off if it is to go vote and while that sounds cool on paper in reality no one living paycheck to paycheck is going to lose hours/pay over it. Assuming you even work in an industry that won't pressure you like crazy to not miss work regardless (basically any service industry job) lest they cut your hours in the future or punish you in other petty ways (illegal but hey what are you gonna do about it hire a lawyer?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Drunk & Ugly posted:

it was mostly over 50's who voted for Leave. the old need to die in both the US and the UK so that we can get some loving normalcy

bunch of old fucks sitting around enjoying their homes and crashing their cars into restaurants and eating erection pills, jut die die die

As cool as disenfranchising people based on age or, as some articles/opinions from around the web intimate, various factors that influence political beliefs, perhaps politically active people and elected leaders should push to improve things like improve education, work on tackling economic disparities, and help to improve or develop societal infrastructure that can provide support to people, particularly those with less money, during financially difficult times The way things are going right now, though, I don't think young or old will stave off coming social, political, and economic crises.

Although, I also think voting should be more accommodating for people with work or stuff on their plate since that would probably help at least to an extent with younger voters not bothering to turn out to vote. Don't think it would be a groundbreaking change, but over time it could make younger people get more serious about voting.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

wit posted:

I did! I couldn't vote because I had to cover a woman's shift who couldn't get a childminder at the last minute because her husband ended up stuck in England due to voting. Kids were not at school due to voting. And my lunch is 30 mins and the walk alone to my nearest from work would take me 20 mins each way, let alone queues. But in general I agree. Even if the English don't listen to Northern Ireland and have the UK gerrymandered in such a way that England prevails.

So basically I failed our glorious british empire QQ.

Oh no, sorry for the confusion, I meant anyone who doesn't vote in the U.S. state of Oregon (or Washington/Colorado) has basically no excuse.

We have our ballots mailed to us two weeks before the election, and they can be mailed back or returned to an official drop off location at literally any time up to the close of the polls.

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 30, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

spud posted:

What the gently caress are you on about you spastic? The fact younger people voted, and rightly so, meant we werent about 40-60% in favour of leaving

voter turnout was very low among young people :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Roylicious posted:

The USA mandates you get time off if it is to go vote and while that sounds cool on paper in reality no one living paycheck to paycheck is going to lose hours/pay over it. Assuming you even work in an industry that won't pressure you like crazy to not miss work regardless (basically any service industry job) lest they cut your hours in the future or punish you in other petty ways (illegal but hey what are you gonna do about it hire a lawyer?).

Superior Brit haven't discovered mail in voting yet.

Many US states do it now even for presidential elections since it's much cheaper to run

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
"I hope that our few remaining friends
Give up on trying to save us
I hope we come up with a fail-safe plot
To piss off the dumb few that forgave us

I hope the fences we mended
Fall down beneath their own weight
And I hope we hang on past the last exit
I hope it's already too late

I am drowning, there is no sign of land
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand
And I hope you die
I hope we both die"

xo, UK

(or mountain goats)

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Fire Barrel posted:

As cool as disenfranchising people based on age or, as some articles/opinions from around the web intimate, various factors that influence political beliefs, perhaps politically active people and elected leaders should push to improve things like improve education, work on tackling economic disparities, and help to improve or develop societal infrastructure that can provide support to people, particularly those with less money, during financially difficult times The way things are going right now, though, I don't think young or old will stave off coming social, political, and economic crises.

Although, I also think voting should be more accommodating for people with work or stuff on their plate since that would probably help at least to an extent with younger voters not bothering to turn out to vote. Don't think it would be a groundbreaking change, but over time it could make younger people get more serious about voting.

This, and kill the old

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
And I hope I never get sober

And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way

- UK

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Roylicious posted:

I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
And I hope I never get sober

And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way

- UK
i left the latter out as it sounds far more definitive and sure than the retardation we're currently seeing from the uk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3ygBd56gg

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

*somewhere, forums poster Jst0rm begins to howl with agony but doesn't know why*

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Roylicious posted:

I think Australia has one the best systems for voting, at least in the western world. We vote on a Saturday so people are at less risk of missing out on work when they vote, we can do early voting in person or by mail if you can't make it to a booth on election day (our election is this Saturday but I voted a couple of days ago) and voting is compulsory anyway so more lazy millennials are forced to get off the couch and do their democratic duty.

A lot of people whinge about not wanting to vote for any of them but all you need to do is go and get your name crossed off the roll, there is no one actually forcing you to cast a valid vote. It does mean a lot of disengaged people end up voting, but by the looks of what just happened in the UK you get a fair number of people with NFI voting even if it was voluntary.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

I think Australia has one the best systems for voting, at least in the western world. We vote on a Saturday so people are at less risk of missing out on work when they vote, we can do early voting in person or by mail if you can't make it to a booth on election day (our election is this Saturday but I voted a couple of days ago) and voting is compulsory anyway so more lazy millennials are forced to get off the couch and do their democratic duty.

A lot of people whinge about not wanting to vote for any of them but all you need to do is go and get your name crossed off the roll, there is no one actually forcing you to cast a valid vote. It does mean a lot of disengaged people end up voting, but by the looks of what just happened in the UK you get a fair number of people with NFI voting even if it was voluntary.

whats your username from

liike if a bunch of mean dudes show up while you and your bros are drinking wine and eating sandwiches in the park you just say, we're gay its ok

or
are you patrolling and defending gay picnickers like the crews of NY in the 70s

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also you have all the sausage sizzles as a added bonus

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Drunk & Ugly posted:

whats your username from

liike if a bunch of mean dudes show up while you and your bros are drinking wine and eating sandwiches in the park you just say, we're gay its ok

or
what
It's probably a play on words referencing the "gay panic defense."

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Weekend voting actually seems like it might be a good idea for the US.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Roylicious posted:

That too.

To be fair idk why voting isn't done in an easier manner (at least in the USA dunno about the UK I guess). CA is one of the only states that lets you do a mail in ballot without a real reason (others will only do that if you are disabled/military or something like that).

Make it more convenient to vote and I promise turn out will increase, especially in groups who aren't retired and devoid of anything to do in their free time.

Yeah, but there's one party that actively working against voter turnout because if it happened, they would probably never win an election except in the hardest of hardcore districts.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

In a shocking twist it turns out that the elderly show up in massive amounts to vote because it's actually way more inconvenient than people think and old people have equally huge amounts of time and bad opinions.

Brannock posted:

A lot of people will try to explain it using local and environmental factors and stuff like "they're busy working 17 jobs to feed their 4 kids think about their poverty :qq:" (conversely, "old people vote so much because they're retired and have nothing else to do!!" ignoring that voter participation increases steadily and smoothly with age)

But it's literally because these people are too young and dumb to understand why and how the government matters. They don't have enough experience being hosed by the system to realize that they have to participate in the system to protect themselves

olds vote more because they've had the experience to see what the gently caress happens when people (don't) vote. a good chunk of the 18-24 kids in the UK who didn't vote last week sure as gently caress are gonna vote from now on

like I said above, I promise you like at least 10-15% of the 18-24 UK voters who didn't vote have learned their lesson the very hard way and are going to vote in most elections from now on, and this phenomenon will repeat every time there's a major vote until that 18-24 group becomes 58-64 and is finally high-turnout just like today's 58-64 voter group is

most people I know around my age (late 20s) that were apathetic about voting back when they were college-aged are much more likely to vote now, and it's not because they have more free time, in fact they have even less free time than they did in college

That said I think we should be moving towards mail-in voting or something, the current system is pretty archaic and isn't really equipped to handle unexpectedly high turnouts (like that'd ever happen anyway here in America)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Fire Barrel posted:

Weekend voting actually seems like it might be a good idea for the US.

It would probably be a good idea most places, but I gather in the US in particular the two parties have an interest in disenfranchising poor would-be voters who can't afford to skip work so nothing changes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
more education to know that the system will gently caress you if you don't vote to protect yourself correlates to higher turnout

more life experience to know that the system will gently caress you if you don't vote to protect yourself correlates to higher turnout

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Brannock posted:

like I said above, I promise you like at least 10-15% of the 18-24 UK voters who didn't vote have learned their lesson the very hard way and are going to vote in most elections from now on, and this phenomenon will repeat every time there's a major vote until that 18-24 group becomes 58-64 and is finally high-turnout just like today's 58-64 voter group is

most people I know around my age (late 20s) that were apathetic about voting back when they were college-aged are much more likely to vote now, and it's not because they have more free time, in fact they have even less free time than they did in college

That said I think we should be moving towards mail-in voting or something, the current system is pretty archaic and isn't really equipped to handle unexpectedly high turnouts (like that'd ever happen anyway here in America)

there's no reason the british system couldn't handle large turnouts, it just takes them forever to count the votes if lots of people cast them

i don't know how australians are so quick with the count but it probably has something to do with closing the polls at 6 (or whenever australia does it, i can't remember) instead of at 10

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

there's no reason the british system couldn't handle large turnouts, it just takes them forever to count the votes if lots of people cast them

i don't know how australians are so quick with the count but it probably has something to do with closing the polls at 6 (or whenever australia does it, i can't remember) instead of at 10

I don't know how the Brits handle it but when I was voting in the Democratic primarys a few months ago here in America it took me a couple of hours to get through the lines because we had only a few polling volunteers handling thousands of voters

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

etalian posted:

Superior Brit haven't discovered mail in voting yet.

Many US states do it now even for presidential elections since it's much cheaper to run

Lol...mail. Do you ride your horse to the post office?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

That too.

To be fair idk why voting isn't done in an easier manner (at least in the USA dunno about the UK I guess). CA is one of the only states that lets you do a mail in ballot without a real reason (others will only do that if you are disabled/military or something like that).

Make it more convenient to vote and I promise turn out will increase, especially in groups who aren't retired and devoid of anything to do in their free time.

"LOL mail? the post office is still a thing? vote by xbox or stfu" ~ young people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Lol...mail. Do you ride your horse to the post office?

no a depressed filipino carries the mail to my local post office.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Drunk & Ugly posted:

it was mostly over 50's who voted for Leave. the old need to die in both the US and the UK so that we can get some loving normalcy

bunch of old fucks sitting around enjoying their homes and crashing their cars into restaurants and eating erection pills, jut die die die

If there is one thing that olds can be counted on to favor, it is Normalcy.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Maoist Pussy posted:

If there is one thing that olds can be counted on to favor, it is Normalcy.

yeah they sure normalled the gently caress out of the UK

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

yeah they sure normalled the gently caress out of the UK

According to the votes a poo poo load of young people wanted to normal the gently caress outta the uk too

I guess the good opinion havers are all whiny apathetic shits of all ages

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Blister posted:

According to the votes a poo poo load of young people wanted to normal the gently caress outta the uk too

I guess the good opinion havers are all whiny apathetic shits of all ages

i don't really know which side was the good side here

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, but there's one party that actively working against voter turnout because if it happened, they would probably never win an election except in the hardest of hardcore districts.

Only one party actively working against voter turnout? lol, yeah i guess if you never pay attention, or if you consider the republicans and democrats to be one single party, then yes that's true

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Rah! posted:

Only one party actively working against voter turnout? lol, yeah i guess if you never pay attention, or if you consider the republicans and democrats to be one single party, then yes that's true

*AP posts Hillary as Dem winner the night before the CA primary*

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

LGD posted:

Oh no, sorry for the confusion, I meant anyone who doesn't vote in the U.S. state of Oregon (or Washington/Colorado) has basically no excuse.

We have our ballots mailed to us two weeks before the election, and they can be mailed back or returned to an official drop off location at literally any time up to the close of the polls.

I'm still counting the days until some crazy rear end in a top hat dips their ballot into 70% H2O2 before dropping it into the box. 3-5 hours later it starts to smoke and catches fire...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Please no Labour, you were going to save us!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8494275.stm

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

etalian posted:

Also you have all the sausage sizzles as a added bonus
AND you can check where the sausage sizzles are at, ahead of time: http://www.electionsausagesizzle.com.au/ :parrot:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

spud posted:

Please no Labour, you were going to save us!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8494275.stm

we have to stop these churns of people because immigrants are literally human vomit

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

like seriously, WW3 is around the corner now

will Millennials go from worst generation to the next greatest generation?

millenials are already better than x and boomers sorry m8

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lichy posted:

we have to stop these churns of people because immigrants are literally human vomit

We should have let 10x more in to spite the boomers. That will show them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

spud posted:

We should have let 10x more in to spite the boomers. That will show them.

he said as the Somalian Isis agent hosed his wife in the guest room

• Locked thread