Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
One one hand competitive mode sounds like an improvement over quick play where people actually try for the objective, stick together, communicate, and pick reasonable heroes. On the other hand it sounds like a clusterfuck where matches last forever and people constantly ragequit leaving you down somewhere between 5v6 to 1v6. Not sure if it's worth doing yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

NoDamage posted:

One one hand competitive mode sounds like an improvement over quick play where people actually try for the objective, stick together, communicate, and pick reasonable heroes. On the other hand it sounds like a clusterfuck where matches last forever and people constantly ragequit leaving you down somewhere between 5v6 to 1v6. Not sure if it's worth doing yet...

I feel like once I slog through the placement matches it'll get better.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've only seen one presumed-ragequit in comp so far, and I've seen plenty of leavers in quick play. It really doesn't feel any different from quick play in terms of attitude from what I've encountered

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So did a popular streamer play Mei recently? She suddenly surged in popularity on ps4.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
why do you get like zero competitive ranking from winning koth? why even have it in the rotation? it feels like a complete waste of time.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
boy i sure love spending 30 minutes on the worst mapset for no reason lol

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon in-house starting: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

NoDamage posted:

One one hand competitive mode sounds like an improvement over quick play where people actually try for the objective, stick together, communicate, and pick reasonable heroes. On the other hand it sounds like a clusterfuck where matches last forever and people constantly ragequit leaving you down somewhere between 5v6 to 1v6.

Neither of those are very common from what I've seen. It's the same people that played QP on Genji on defense and stand outside their door at the start of the game and insta-die, but you don't see many rage quitters because leaving actually gets penalized now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strobe posted:

Armor only halves if the shot's damage is 10 or less. If it's more than 10, it takes 10 off the top and the rest goes through. Armor makes the hammer do 65, not 35. Also Roadhog doesn't get armor without help? :psyduck:

I swear I've seen a chunk of armor on him, I'm not crazy you all are! (:cripes:)

Also I evidently got the armor damage tradeoff wrong as well. I swear I read it was a flat 50% cap but :shrug: .

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man, I came so close to perfection :(

Now to go on some horrible 20 game losing streak.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

anime was right posted:

why do you get like zero competitive ranking from winning koth? why even have it in the rotation? it feels like a complete waste of time.

Rankings at the end of matches are based on whether or not you won and your personal performance. The math behind your ranking up isn't understood at this time, but depending on a number of factors under the hood you could go up or down quite a bit in rank or not much at all.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Your rank can go up/down a lot after a match, or sometimes just a tiny bit. It's not remotely static and I don't think it's tied to the mode at all (I've had big increases on KotH matches).

Maybe the system thought your team was favoured. Maybe the system thought you were the underdog. Maybe your team won but you didn't contribute much to that victory. Maybe you carried a team that still lost. From what we've been told of the MMR system, these kinds of factors will all influence how much your skill rating moves after a match.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 30, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, I came so close to perfection :(

Now to go on some horrible 20 game losing streak.

You can try to go 10-0 in your placement matches next season!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

teagone posted:

You can try to go 10-0 in your placement matches next season!

How long do seasons last?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gameko posted:

Rankings at the end of matches are based on whether or not you won and your personal performance. The math behind your ranking up isn't understood at this time, but depending on a number of factors under the hood you could go up or down quite a bit in rank or not much at all.

thats dumb because a win is a win no matter what stupid rear end math goes behind it. it just supports playing suboptimally in some regard.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

How long do seasons last?

Read somewhere that regular seasons last 2.5 months but this first season is abbreviated a bit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just played against a Tracer that moved solely through blink. People theorized it was a bot. I'm not sure what the point of that would even be though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What exactly are you supposed to loving do with a Reinhart sitting in front of a bastion on top of a payload? Because I hear a lot about how easy a gimmick that is to beat but I've yet to actually really see it beat and it's incredibly unfun.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

What exactly are you supposed to loving do with a Reinhart sitting in front of a bastion on top of a payload? Because I hear a lot about how easy a gimmick that is to beat but I've yet to actually really see it beat and it's incredibly unfun.

Soldier and pharah spam the shield, it'll go down quick. Or junk rat lobbing nades at them

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

anime was right posted:

thats dumb because a win is a win no matter what stupid rear end math goes behind it. it just supports playing suboptimally in some regard.

Suboptimally how? It seems to me that if you play worse and contribute less, your victories will give you smaller increases and your losses will give you bigger decreases.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Won my first 4, then lost my last 6..two due to leavers. Rank 41, now 39 because I'm playing with my friend during his losing placements.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Soldier and pharah spam the shield, it'll go down quick. Or junk rat lobbing nades at them

Only works if the other 4 guys on their team are bad enough to let you focus on them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Supercar Gautier posted:

Suboptimally how? It seems to me that if you play worse and contribute less, your victories will give you smaller increases and your losses will give you bigger decreases.

if a mei holds a point for 5 minutes without standing on it and killing anyone, then she wont get poo poo even if she singlehandedly won the game, as an example. but if that is the best way of winning the game, the ranking wont reflect that.

points cannot observe pure skill, only a win can.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

anime was right posted:

if a mei holds a point for 5 minutes without standing on it and killing anyone, then she wont get poo poo even if she singlehandedly won the game, as an example.

We had a game where everyone quit but one opponent. I was Lucio. You can bet my healing numbers were hot garbage. But I didn't realize that would affect my rank until after my 10.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Read somewhere that regular seasons last 2.5 months but this first season is abbreviated a bit.

Do we know if the gold weapons are only for this season? Or can we get them whenever we get enough points?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
7 wins, 3 losses for placement, getting 2-3 golds every other map, still get placed at 50. Win/Loss is probably all that counts, and more comp players are ahead of the curve than behind it if 7/3 = 50.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

anime was right posted:

if a mei holds a point for 5 minutes without standing on it and killing anyone, then she wont get poo poo even if she singlehandedly won the game, as an example. but if that is the best way of winning the game, the ranking wont reflect that.

points cannot observe pure skill, only a win can.

This is a weird hypothetical, since if a Mei isn't holding the point by being on it, then she's holding the point by killing people. I don't know if there are any KotH maps where a Mei can contribute substantially to holding the point while doing neither of those things.

Medals certainly aren't everything, since the game's not deathmatch. And there are of course situational contributions that can swing games without showing up in stats. But if none of your efforts show up in any of the numbers, then the victory was probably not single-handedly caused by you.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Do we know if the gold weapons are only for this season? Or can we get them whenever we get enough points?

it's whenever you get enough points, they don't reset between seasons, only your rank does. supposedly there's a payout of bonus points at the end of the season based on how well you did.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Spiritus Nox posted:

Only works if the other 4 guys on their team are bad enough to let you focus on them.

Yeah you're right it's undefeatable you might as well just quit when you see it.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes, I would say when six people work together it should require six people working together to beat them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81_AOs-U9wY

I'm a little baby newbie but I got my first highlight (and first time using video capture clumsily so please excuse the mouse pointer) and it's one I actually feel proud of! Kill one guy, another flees off a cliff, and everyone else backed up or turned around to shoot me allowing my team to get established and actually get the objective started.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

7 wins, 3 losses for placement, getting 2-3 golds every other map, still get placed at 50. Win/Loss is probably all that counts, and more comp players are ahead of the curve than behind it if 7/3 = 50.

It's more than that, or less.

Some high level mercy players ended up getting lower ranks than people who have less wins than them, so who know's maybe there's a dice roll in there somewhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why am I overcome with an urge to play, of all heroes, Dva? :psyduck:

EDIT: Actually I know, its because I found out boosting around with her thrusters is really fun.

But uh, I'm really loving bad at actually doing anything as her :(

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

good genjis walk all over a lot of heroes now that mccree can't just delete him at will

I wish I knew how to play genji effectively because he seems like fun

Just start playing him and suck at it until it starts to click. It's the same as any other hero, just the period of sucking tends to last a little longer.

I played a few games as Genji tonight and while I wasn't outdamaging our Pharah I did get a ton of Dragonblade kills (five activations in one payload game!) and I got to reflect High Noon back at McCree. It was good times, and given how little I've played Genji before I'm guessing there are transferable skills from Tracer.

Although on the other hand, "wait, poo poo, his dash attack doesn't let you move yourself sideways" still trips me up every once in a while.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think I've done worse every single time I've played as genji, it's uncanny how bad I am at him compared to any other hero

Internet Kraken posted:

Why am I overcome with an urge to play, of all heroes, Dva? :psyduck:

EDIT: Actually I know, its because I found out boosting around with her thrusters is really fun.

But uh, I'm really loving bad at actually doing anything as her :(

fly behind people and shoot them when they aren't looking, then run away. d.va can't commit to long fights for poo poo but she can do hit and run alright. d.va's good at taking out turret nests, hunting down snipers, and delaying the cart on payload by flying around it like an overgrown fly. her pistol when the mech blows up is surprisingly good as well so you can surprise people that try to chase after your mech inevitably blows up

I also find that d.va helps make poo poo like hanamura offense a lot less painful since she can boost through the small window basically for free, then run away into the backlines to be a nuisance. she's actually a lot more survivable at getting through that choke than anyone else since she can use her defense matrix when flying past to the health pack around back. you might not win but at least you won't be trapped in the hell that is the doorway into hanamura point a

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Had to walk away from my desk tonight I got so buttmad. Solo comp (yes I know), had a duo queue Genji and Hanzo on my team screaming at us that we needed a tank.Meanwhile I'm playing Lucio and the others are playing defensive characters we needed. They spent the whole match saying "i have top kills i wont change" and talking themselves up. Just pushed me the wrong way and left me feeling pissed.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I've only seen one presumed-ragequit in comp so far, and I've seen plenty of leavers in quick play. It really doesn't feel any different from quick play in terms of attitude from what I've encountered

Out of 4 matches I've played one had a really nice team where we all were discussing things and suggesting changes in strategy and one had 2 people who just wouldn't shut up how bad others were and they should uninstall, calling for the other team to report a player for being bad at the end of the match. The rest were pretty normal.
According to the other guy you shouldn't pick Mei on offense for some reason, don't know if there's any legitimacy to that.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 30, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is Zenyatta's alt fire even worth using other than the situations where you're approaching a corner and want to wind up in case you see something to blast, or if you're (very riskily) attempting to pop down a Bastion or turret? The numbers on it are straight up inferior to his primary fire in a protracted fight.

I really dislike burst-projectile weapons (Lucio, Zenyatta alt, Genji primary), they feel really difficult to hit targets with compared to sequential-projectile weapons (DVa, Mercy, Zenyatta)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
nah it's solely for peeking and zen is the dumbest loving person to peek with in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got this game for my birthday only knowing it is like TF2.

I like this game, it is fun.