Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like the Bob / Mo relationship because it goes on the rocks for believable reasons and you can legitimately cast either of them as the villain depending on how you read which passages.

Eh. I could see "Mo primarily at fault" or "both equally at fault" but I have a hard time with "Bob primarily at fault".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Violin and the Eater of Souls are at fault. Without either they wouldn't have any relationship issues. And of both the Violin is even more at fault, because he tricks/mind controls Mo into infidelity in her dreams/mind, which one also could classify as mind rape, which in turn makes her beat herself up the whole book. Also he tries to murder Bob.

And Stross can call Mo all the strong woman adjectives, and he is correct if Mo is in normal circumstances, but that doesn't change that it is a book with a PTSD suffering main character, who simply is unlikable in the book and acts flat-out stupid. Making your only POV unlikable for a full book and making her far more stupid than the reader (even I could solve the mystery by the first third of the book and I'm not really very good at this usually) makes the book less enjoyable, especially for a series that is at its heart still a comedic farce. Which can be salvaged by making the story an interesting one, but that wasn't really the case with The Annihilation Score either.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 28, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

Eh. I could see "Mo primarily at fault" or "both equally at fault" but I have a hard time with "Bob primarily at fault".

For Bob to be primarily at fault you have to assume he was an unreliable narrator and in fact slept with his ex. But there's some textual support for that, especially from Mo's narrative.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

My point is that Mo isn't particularly nasty, just under stress

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I also still say Angleton is NOT dead. We saw an identical time-stop bubble just a handful of pages before Angleton's "death". The one Angleton is in was probably fired off by himself, so all Bob has to do is apply the knowledge of the Eater of Souls correctly (contained in the Memex), one time-stop bubble gets turned off, Angleton gets his mojo back and Bob gets to back to relative levels of normal. But this time with a wife who doesn't have a violin loving with her head.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm nearly finished The Lies Of Locke Lamora. Not sure if it counts for this thread, but I'm sure I've seen it brought up here. I am really, really enjoying it and can't wait to get on to the next one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For Bob to be primarily at fault you have to assume he was an unreliable narrator and in fact slept with his ex. But there's some textual support for that, especially from Mo's narrative.

Isn't Bob's narration explictly, by his own admission, unreliable? Also didn't Stross specifically say (maybe in an interview or online, not in the books) that Bob's not a reliable narrator?

Also maybe I'm weird but while it's not my favorite book in the series I still thought Annihilation Score was a good read and I felt a lot of sympathy with Mo. I certainly didn't find her character "unlikable".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 29, 2016

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just marathoned the entirety of Worm in 4 days, worth it! Great read but im sad because the guys other work just doesnt grab me anywhere near as close.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AlphaDog posted:

Isn't Bob's narration explictly, by his own admission, unreliable? Also didn't Stross specifically say (maybe in an interview or online, not in the books) that Bob's not a reliable narrator?

Can't remember the first, but yes re: the second, reaffirmed as recently as June 21.

Charlie Stross posted:

A point that was becoming clear by book 3 or book 4 is that Bob is an unreliable narrator. This was (spoiler!) originally an accident, but then a bonus.
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/06/crib-sheet-the-annihilation-sc.html#more

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

To be fair - I haven't actually read the book in question. I was more talking about Stross's implication that a fictional female character that people consider bitchy would be one that we would tolerate if it was a man with a similar behavior, which is an argument I've heard a few times but don't really agree with in most cases. I've seen much worse written 'tough' female characters in UF that do fit all those criteria and just come off as massive, slightly unstable assholes instead of 'tough' or 'strong'.

No, that's absolutely true. You can see it in Dresden too where Dresden gets massive passes for anything he does but the same doesn't apply to Murphy or Charity or Molly. (The latter gets the most benefit of the doubt from the fans but largely because she's the least aggressive of the three.)

It's an ongoing problem with a lot of fiction, especially UF, and is part of what leads to 'strong' female characters who aren't actually very strong, because a strong character by definition is going to have weaknesses and flaws because that makes them a more well-rounded and capable character.

It isn't entirely gender-related. Part of it is just that people are willing to forgive protagonists things that they won't side characters even if the protagonist is acting as lovely if not moreso than the side characters, but it does sometimes come down to gender. People are less forgiving of a lady character who is smug, arrogant, gets angry quickly or makes mistakes based off their own issues than they are of guy characters who do the same.

It's something you see with Rivers of London, with Alex Verus, and probably with other books I haven't bothered with too. It's just the way these fandoms shake up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 29, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Kea posted:

Just marathoned the entirety of Worm in 4 days, worth it!...

What the holy gently caress. That is one seriously long work of fiction, and you start-to-finished it in four days?! By word count alone, that's about the length of books 1-12/13 of Dresden, all in one long story. And it's (IMO) more difficult to read than Dresden, by far.

Kea posted:

... Great read but im sad because the guys other work just doesnt grab me anywhere near as close.

Yeah, I had the same issue. Pact was OK and had a cool premise, but ended kinda lame. Twig never caught me; at all. I think he's on to something else, now? I haven't checked back since I canceled my Patreon for him. If he ever does get Worm published, though, I'm buying that book and an unabridged dictionary lectern to place it on. (Or, more likely, that series, and clearing a shelf to set it on.)

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

What the holy gently caress. That is one seriously long work of fiction, and you start-to-finished it in four days?! By word count alone, that's about the length of books 1-12/13 of Dresden, all in one long story. And it's (IMO) more difficult to read than Dresden, by far.

To be fair it was closer to five, I started sunday afternoon and finished thursday evening. I have had no work on recently so I started readin git and just didnt realise how insanely long it was until I was on day 3 or so and it was still going.

edit: I would also love to buy it in print version.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

No, that's absolutely true. You can see it in Dresden too where Dresden gets massive passes for anything he does but the same doesn't apply to Murphy or Charity or Molly. (The latter gets the most benefit of the doubt from the fans but largely because she's the least aggressive of the three.)

It's an ongoing problem with a lot of fiction, especially UF, and is part of what leads to 'strong' female characters who aren't actually very strong, because a strong character by definition is going to have weaknesses and flaws because that makes them a more well-rounded and capable character.

It isn't entirely gender-related. Part of it is just that people are willing to forgive protagonists things that they won't side characters even if the protagonist is acting as lovely if not moreso than the side characters, but it does sometimes come down to gender. People are less forgiving of a lady character who is smug, arrogant, gets angry quickly or makes mistakes based off their own issues than they are of guy characters who do the same.

It's something you see with Rivers of London, with Alex Verus, and probably with other books I haven't bothered with too. It's just the way these fandoms shake up.
Speaking of Dresden, Murphy gets written off as a huge bitch in the first few books when 100% of the problem actually comes from Harry.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Murphy has a severe case of penis envy in the first couple books and it's very eye roll-y. Butcher tries to brush it under the rug as magic powers envy but it doesn't work well.

(on a fun side note if I try to write PENIS my phone puts it in all caps unless I write it manually)

E: Random other question - does making potions actually require having magic powers? It doesn't really seem like it and I don't understand why Harry doesn't teach SI a set of basic combat potions to help them help him when it comes to the supernatural. Also a lot of Harry's stuff is mundane things applied in the appropriate ways against supernatural critters and he could teach some like "Wizard-Fu for vanilla mortals" would help SI a lot.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 29, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Speaking of Dresden, Murphy gets written off as a huge bitch in the first few books when 100% of the problem actually comes from Harry.

Yeah. Particularly in Fool Moon, where Murphy acts exactly like a good cop should act when her unreliable outside consultant with possible mob ties knowingly hides evidence in a murder investigation from her.

Fool Moon isn't a great book, and that's not a great subplot, but it's not because Murphy is a bad character so much as because the book depends way too much on what I like to call sitcom conflict (where everything would be solved by a five minute conversation that, for absolutely no reason, the two leads don't have until the last minute).

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Kea posted:

Just marathoned the entirety of Worm in 4 days, worth it! Great read but im sad because the guys other work just doesnt grab me anywhere near as close.

That's insane. Worm is my favorite work of fiction, and I found it through this thread, so I'm glad other people are reading it! I'd also love to have a copy of it, even though I don't much like print books anymore, just to have it on my bookshelf would be great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OneTwentySix posted:

That's insane. Worm is my favorite work of fiction, and I found it through this thread, so I'm glad other people are reading it! I'd also love to have a copy of it, even though I don't much like print books anymore, just to have it on my bookshelf would be great.
You could clobber intruders with it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What the heck is worm?

When the heck is a new Harry Dresden files coming out geez???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

worm is a webnovel about superheros.

It's pretty good until the poorly-thought-out Setting Rules become front and center.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Magres posted:

E: Random other question - does making potions actually require having magic powers? It doesn't really seem like it and I don't understand why Harry doesn't teach SI a set of basic combat potions to help them help him when it comes to the supernatural. Also a lot of Harry's stuff is mundane things applied in the appropriate ways against supernatural critters and he could teach some like "Wizard-Fu for vanilla mortals" would help SI a lot.
I don't recall a lot on potions but I think so. Isn't it basically "combine symbolic ingredients, cook it for a bit while channeling power into it, bing bang boom you've got a love potion"? That last step would be difficult without magic, though I expect Butters has worked out some method.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

It's pretty good until the poorly-thought-out Setting Rules become front and center.

Is there an audiobook? Reading War and Peace on a computer screen seems no fun.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

I don't recall a lot on potions but I think so. Isn't it basically "combine symbolic ingredients, cook it for a bit while channeling power into it, bing bang boom you've got a love potion"? That last step would be difficult without magic, though I expect Butters has worked out some method.

Good news! It just finished recently: http://audioworm.rein-online.org/

Bad news! It's amateur. It's mostly good, but the quality varies quite a bit, especially because it has rotating readers, and they make some strange pronunciation choices.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Butters uses Bob as a power source. They talk about it briefly in Skin Game.

It annoys me that Dresden has largely stopped using potions because, as best I can tell, you can use potions to do drat near anything a spell can (the way I'm reading the wiki page on them they're essentially a spell in a bottle) and after a over a decade of having his otherwise mostly uneventful life punctuated by sweeping catastrophes, you'd think Dresden would learn to have a rainy day fund of a whole shitload of "just in case" potions.

Half the time he's griping about having no cases and being bored when a book starts. Get your rear end down in your lab and make some potions for when Mab shows up for the favors you owe her you nincompoop! Consumable items you can just manufacture are ludicrously powerful because you can more or less siphon off your excess magic into little bottles and save them for when you need them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Magres posted:

Butters uses Bob as a power source. They talk about it briefly in Skin Game.

It annoys me that Dresden has largely stopped using potions because, as best I can tell, you can use potions to do drat near anything a spell can (the way I'm reading the wiki page on them they're essentially a spell in a bottle) and after a over a decade of having his otherwise mostly uneventful life punctuated by sweeping catastrophes, you'd think Dresden would learn to have a rainy day fund of a whole shitload of "just in case" potions.

Half the time he's griping about having no cases and being bored when a book starts. Get your rear end down in your lab and make some potions for when Mab shows up for the favors you owe her you nincompoop! Consumable items you can just manufacture are ludicrously powerful because you can more or less siphon off your excess magic into little bottles and save them for when you need them.

Yeah, that's exactly why he no longer uses potions. And also why the bear belt that gave him a full-night sleep never showed up again.

They were part of the ridiculously formularic part of early Dresden (Here, let me go down to my lab and make exactly two potions that I will use in really fitting circumstance) and robbed a lot of narrative tension. I'm pretty sure Butcher's said on the record if he could re-write the early books he'd leave out the potion-making entirely.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's fair. The series would almost certainly be better without potions ever having been mentioned, I just wasn't sure if he had ever given a reason for not using them more, mostly because Butcher mentioned potion making like once every couple books. Changes was the last time Harry used them though

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Zore posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why he no longer uses potions. And also why the bear belt that gave him a full-night sleep never showed up again.

They were part of the ridiculously formularic part of early Dresden (Here, let me go down to my lab and make exactly two potions that I will use in really fitting circumstance) and robbed a lot of narrative tension. I'm pretty sure Butcher's said on the record if he could re-write the early books he'd leave out the potion-making entirely.
What exactly was the point of the love potion anyways? Besides forcing a female character into a pointlessly compromising situation. And the "recipe" for making it was pretty hosed up as well. "Girls just care about diamonds, money, and romance novels!" is like the epitome of fedora-tipping gooniness.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zore posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why he no longer uses potions.

He used one in Changes to make them all floaty when they were breaking into that one place.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

What exactly was the point of the love potion anyways? Besides forcing a female character into a pointlessly compromising situation. And the "recipe" for making it was pretty hosed up as well. "Girls just care about diamonds, money, and romance novels!" is like the epitome of fedora-tipping gooniness.

to be fair, that was bob the lust-spirit's recipe, and he's consistently portrayed as being pretty hosed up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think in-universe Dresden once said that potions only kept for a few days before spoiling anyway, so that's another reason why he can't have a stockpile of potions for the next big catastrophe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grimson posted:

My point is that Mo isn't particularly nasty, just under stress

Absolutely. And there are many, many female protagonist who are written as strong, assertive characters without veering into "bitchy". Same as there are many strong assertive male protagonists that don't veer into "dick" territory too much (most male characters are dicks from time to time, because being so is more forgiven for men, even seen as positive trait).
Stross just did the character of Mo no favour by introducing us to her POV during a time where she was simply a bad character because she was in a bad place. Understandably bad, since she was basically suffering a mental breakdown throughout the book, but it is still something that makes the book simply a less enjoyable read. A better writer probably would have managed to make you not despise/pity Mo during the book, but Stross isn't that writer, as much as I like his stuff. He tried something new and interesting, but basically failed at it- for me at least. The same story written by - for example - Bujold - that might have worked.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tunicate posted:

Thats cool is there a link to the web zone with it?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah. It's probably the best treatment of a superhero setting I've ever seen. It's fresh and a new take.

Ramadu posted:

Thats cool is there a link to the web zone with it?

Check it out, free, here:
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Tunicate posted:

I thought the way the setting worked was actually pretty fascinating and new. Rather than the typical comics fallback of "How or why is this guy so fast?" "Oh, I dunno, the 'speed force' or some poo poo. Yeah, sure, that's it," instead Worm's got real world building and unified, thought-out mechanics.

MeLKoR posted:

Is there an audiobook? Reading War and Peace on a computer screen seems no fun.

Yes. Do not listen to it, though. It's all-captials BAD.

Mars4523 posted:

According to Bob (and, by extension, twelve-year-old Harry) they do. Remember how Bob works? He projects the personality you expect him to have. That's why he's so much more terse and to the point with Butters as his boss.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 30, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can also see Harry getting a lot warier of potions after the "supercoffee" one he used in Fool Moon drat near got him killed and left him nearly powerless for the climax of the book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

]

I thought the way the setting worked was actually pretty fascinating and new. Rather than the typical comics fallback of "How or why is this guy so fast?" "Oh, I dunno, the 'speed force' or some poo poo. Yeah, sure, that's it," instead Worm's got real world building and unified, thought-out mechanics.

Everything with the titular worms was bad, and the unified power handwave was just really dumb.

"no, you don't have telekinesis over glass, that's ridiculous, what you have is an uplink to a nearly omniscient multidimensional creature which is constantly scanning all the substances around you to determine if they're glass, then using interdimensional energy bursts to selectively move them."

"Also it totally could do more with its near omniscience and omnipotence, but a bunch of nerfs were added to give you a balanced power, so we could determine how to... make stronger powers? Except as previously established, we're just faking the effects of something far more limited through brute force? And the most powerful ability is also the oldest one?"

Like, the setting works when it stays at street level, because it avoids all that bullshit and actually has stakes. Once it escalates it just turns into :words: and changes the solutions from clever tactics to technobabble.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Like, the setting works when it stays at street level, because it avoids all that bullshit and actually has stakes. Once it escalates it just turns into :words: and changes the solutions from clever tactics to technobabble.

I disagree.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Having finished The Nightmare Stacks, I'm torn between being impressed at how dark the climax is and frustrated at how easily a ton of human casualties could have been prevented if the Laundry had people who could think more than a few steps in advance.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Almost no one thinks more than a "few" steps in advance even about routine events with predictable outcomes. What obvious strategy do you think would have short circuited that cluster gently caress?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Turdis McWordis posted:

Almost no one thinks more than a "few" steps in advance even about routine events with predictable outcomes. What obvious strategy do you think would have short circuited that cluster gently caress?
You'd think that closing the airspace around your extradimensional invasion point to civilian air traffic would be, if not Step 1, then somewhere in Steps 2 through 5 of your contingency plan. The same goes to closing highways to ground traffic. The Laundry does not maintain a supply of defensive wards to be issued to any quick reaction force in the event of an extradimensional incursion, which is probably something that will be brought up in the parliamentary inquest. And does the UK really have no multichannel public safety warning system that can alert people in the path of the incursion to shelter in place?

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 30, 2016

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
They had literally no information about the invasion (size, capabilities, intent, etc.) other than a text message claiming there was one by a 24 year old math geek who had been in training for 6 months. That's not a shut everything down situation.

Preventing civilian deaths on the roads was pretty much impossible. They never did get accurate reports of what was happening, just a growing zone of silence.

The OCCULUS teams are the Laundry QRF and they have wards. Integration of magic with the armed forces in a widespread basis is counterproductive. For a huge threat it won't be enough, and the act of preparing and leaking magic's existence on a wide basis risks accelerating CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.

Turdis McWordis fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 30, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Turdis McWordis posted:

They had literally no information about the invasion (size, capabilities, intent, etc.) other than a text message claiming there was one by a 24 year old math geek who had been in training for 6 months. That's not a shut everything down situation.

Preventing civilian deaths on the roads was pretty much impossible. They never did get accurate reports of what was happening, just a growing zone of silence.

The OCCULUS teams are the Laundry QRF and they have wards. Integration of magic with the armed forces in a widespread basis is counterproductive. For a huge threat it won't be enough, and the act of preparing and leaking magic's existence on a wide basis risks accelerating CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.
That makes no sense. They can order armed troops into a reconnaissance in force on British soil on the word of a 24 year old math geek who has been with the organization for 6 months, but that's not enough to close down the airspace and roads? Hell, you'd think that shutting down civilian traffic would be the prerequisite to sending a military force in to an area, on the grounds that they use the same roads. Nevermind that the Laundry is well aware that anything that can rip a dimensional portal into existence would also be incredibly lethal to un-warded civilians.

The OCCULUS teams are meant for recon into a low threat environment only. When the poo poo hits the fan, the Laundry has always turned to the military (see Trident missiles in book 2).

Hell, mobilizing an Army QRF is part of the Laundry's own contingency plan for dealing with an an extradimensional incursion, but the Laundry does not possess the means to equip that QRF to effectively combat threats that might be encountered during an extradimensional incursion. That doesn't really scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Probably best to use spoiler tags since the books only been out a few days, but my two cents:

The real clusterfuck was that the Laundry wasn't prepared for invasion by a quick-moving army with widespread basilisk gun & electronic surveillance countermeasures. They had a plan in place, it just didn't survive contact with the enemy.