Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Swedish Horror posted:

It keeps taking 5,000 gold away every time I hit 10,000 gold

That's a bug, it's only supposed to trigger once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

Flame Cannon explosions do about 70% of the damage an organ gun does on a direct hit. If they had enough range to repeatedly hit approaching infantry they would annihilate them.

I don't agree.

If you were correct then Hellcannons would be super OP seeing as they have longer range (almost 3x as much) and their projectile not only does about the same normal explosive damage (Flame Cannon = 80 vs Hellcannons = 110) their AP Explosive damage is ten times as high (Flame Cannon = 20 vs Hellcannons = 200), they both have the same missile damage of 80 and once again when it comes to AP missile damage there is a vast difference with Flame Cannons doing a meager 30 versus the Hellcannons sporting an ungodly 260 again not far from ten times the damage.

Yes there are four units in a Flame Cannon unit, so the damage does ramp up, but Hellcannons have guided projectiles AND an extra "gently caress you morale" effect.

Armoured units would take almost nothing from flame cannons either, so its only really good against unarmoured foes.

While i doubt CA would literally double the range, i also doubt it would make Flame Cannons break the game. Once more i have to point out that once you get stuck in, your artillery can barely fire, even the curved firing line ones like mortars etc, besides on ranged of course which is their last usage. Their strength comes from firing on the foe BEFORE that happens, so when the range is a measly 150 it negates the point of having them. As someone pointed out though, if flame cannons behaved more like Iron Drakes i.e. Flame Throwers, THEN i would agree with a range like that since then they could shoot through open gaps in bursts of fast DPS.

Also i realise what a huge loving tryhard nerd i am for making this wall of text.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 29, 2016

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

That's a bug, it's only supposed to trigger once.

Still a weird quest to give the player near the start.

I am having fun with this game though. Watching the dwarf king smash goblins from atop his throne is hilarious.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rygar201 posted:

Don't forget that individual mans have HP. So when that block of nerds gets hit by your big ol' Hellcannon/Cannon/Spell/Fanatic damage is being done but individual dudes you think should be dead will get back up. That unit still has less aggregate HP though, and fewer dudes will get us after subsequent attacks and the unit will die faster in melee.

Yeah, but I still think fanatics are super weak compared to how they should be, especially considering all of their disadvantages (like how you can't control when they release or which direction they will go, how close you have to be to use them, and the fact that to use them you have to take units of goblins over lots of better options).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Swedish Horror posted:

Still a weird quest to give the player near the start.

I am having fun with this game though. Watching the dwarf king smash goblins from atop his throne is hilarious.

It's a very impractical mount and I love it

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, but I still think fanatics are super weak compared to how they should be, especially considering all of their disadvantages (like how you can't control when they release or which direction they will go, how close you have to be to use them, and the fact that to use them you have to take units of goblins over lots of better options).

Agreed. If Fanatics are going to be a late-game unit, then your opponent should be debating about sending mid-late units against it. I do wonder if boosting the chance for cavalry and monsters to get staggered or knocked down by AoE would be a quick fix. The game definitely loves knocking down infantry and crippling their ability to fight back.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a very impractical mount and I love it

I want the generic lords to get Shieldbearers so friggin' bad.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 29, 2016

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gejnor posted:

I don't agree.

If you were correct then Hellcannons would be super OP seeing as they have longer range (almost 3x as much) and their projectile not only does about the same normal explosive damage (Flame Cannon = 80 vs Hellcannons = 110) their AP Explosive damage is ten times as high (Flame Cannon = 20 vs Hellcannons = 200), they both have the same missile damage of 80 and once again when it comes to AP missile damage there is a vast difference with Flame Cannons doing a meager 30 versus the Hellcannons sporting an ungodly 260 again not far from ten times the damage.

Hell Cannons shoot slowly and, as noted, have a single unit. Adjusted for unit size and reload speed, Flame Cannons currently do about twice their explosive damage and about 120% of their non-explosive damage. A single unit of infantry also doesn't have all that much health (usually around 60), so the Hell Cannon's massive damage per-shot is mostly wasted against them. For each shot the Hell Cannon gets off, a unit of Flame Cannons shoots ~5 missiles, each of which wastes less of its damage on overkill.

Edit: Also, artillery is fine when lines clash if you tell them to fire at the ground instead of a particular unit.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 29, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree with the poster up thread that suggested flame cannon should be a big fuckoff flame thrower. Have it fire in an arc with moderate range, and make the range upgrade more significant. I don't think they would make Irondrakes obsolete any more than cannons make trollhammer torpedoes obsolete. You have infantry and artillery with similar roles, but one is still going to have its own niche within that.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

"Patch Notes" posted:

AI-controlled Heroes now receive half the amount of XP that the player would following an action.

Reduced AI-controlled Hero success chance on Easy and Normal difficulties.

The effectiveness of Direct Damage spells (eg Spirit Leech) is now modified according to context, bringing them more in line with other spell types. Their damage output is now more variable as a result.

In multiplayer, all players will now begin battle with the same (but randomly determined) starting Winds of Magic.

Solheim’s Bolt of Illumination (fired by Luminark of Hysh) is now stronger and better against moving targets.

AI is now less inclined to start chasing the Chaos player around the Campaign map.

This patch seems pretty drat nice.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wallet posted:

Hell Cannons shoot slowly and, as noted, have a single unit. Adjusted for unit size and reload speed, Flame Cannons currently do about twice their explosive damage and about 120% of their non-explosive damage. A single unit of infantry also doesn't have all that much health (usually around 60), so the Hell Cannon's massive damage per-shot is mostly wasted against them. For each shot the Hell Cannon gets off, a unit of Flame Cannons shoots ~5 missiles, each of which wastes less of its damage on overkill.

Edit: Also, artillery is fine when lines clash if you tell them to fire at the ground instead of a particular unit.

Its not really wasted, since they are really good at making units rout with their morale debuff damage as well. They shoot slower but we're talking a 4 second difference here, and they miss less often too so i would imagine it evens out quite a bit.

Also, huh, it seems that was a thing you could do? Didn't even know you could tell your arty to fire at the ground instead of units.. welp i guess i learn new things every day! Seems a bit micro-y but should be useful, unless i manage to slaughter my own units doing so of course..

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gejnor posted:

Its not really wasted, since they are really good at making units rout with their morale debuff damage as well. They shoot slower but we're talking a 4 second difference here, and they miss less often too so i would imagine it evens out quite a bit.

Also, huh, it seems that was a thing you could do? Didn't even know you could tell your arty to fire at the ground instead of units.. welp i guess i learn new things every day! Seems a bit micro-y but should be useful, unless i manage to slaughter my own units doing so of course..

If you have direct hit artillery it is usually a good idea to position then in a support position to where you intend the lines to clash rather than behind the army so they can contribute during the actual fighting, as long as you can afford to maintain enough reserves there to fend off cavalry and your main force can punish the enemy infantry for trying to reach the artillery.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wonder why flamethrowers wouldnt be good against armor anyways. Its sticky napalm poo poo, and they used it to kill tanks back in the 50's. I imagine it'd adhere to and seep into joints to cook any wearer of plate-armor alive.

I guess its always just been kind of a thing in games that flames sucks vs armor, sadly. Then again, in WH40k Flamers are poo poo versus armor as well so... :(

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder why flamethrowers wouldnt be good against armor anyways. Its sticky napalm poo poo, and they used it to kill tanks back in the 50's. I imagine it'd adhere to and seep into joints to cook any wearer of plate-armor alive.

I guess its always just been kind of a thing in games that flames sucks vs armor, sadly. Then again, in WH40k Flamers are poo poo versus armor as well so... :(

To be fair, the armour in 40K is fully sealed and meant to stop you from dying from things like an engine plasma surge so it kind of makes sense there. And I'd also rather be wearing a suit of armour than not if I'm going to be napalmed, sure my suit's gonna roast me alive but being in a really hot suit that I might be able to peel off or extinguish in time is gotta be better than being entirely on fire.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yukitsu posted:

And I'd also rather be wearing a suit of armour than not if I'm going to be napalmed, sure my suit's gonna roast me alive but being in a really hot suit that I might be able to peel off or extinguish in time is gotta be better than being entirely on fire.

Seems good. Uh... Spoilers for final third of the Witcher 3.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

ZearothK posted:

Seems good. Uh... Spoilers for final third of the Witcher 3.

I've seen the fatality where the guy gets flamed without the helmet, it's not any prettier. Besides, needs a better seal on that helmet, think that cheater was firing it into the eye slit.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dandywalken posted:

I blame the use of gas flamethrowers in media, instead of actual napalm.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Triskelli posted:

I blame the use of gas flamethrowers in media, instead of actual napalm.

Ah, for the days when WW2 surplus flowed like water and we could get a flamethrower tank on the silver screen with a week's notice.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

quote:

Dwarfs are much less likely to get the Likes Greenskins trait, and the trait will never trigger on Dwarf faction leaders.

aw

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Its interesting hearing some of the commentary of units when they are idle or fighting.

In my Empire campaign I had a small dwarf faction go rogue on me and declare war, and in the ensuing battle I had a clash between some Swordsmen and some Dwarf Warriors. I zoomed in to see all the neat details of them fighting and hear one of my guys yell,

:byodood: "SOMEONE JUST BIT ME IN THE GROIN!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hi everybody I was just wondering if there's any reason to buy trolls as chaos thanks peace.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Arglebargle III posted:

Hi everybody I was just wondering if there's any reason to buy trolls as chaos thanks peace.

no reason to buy trolls as any faction, their leadership is such dogshit

Normally I would say that if you are playing vs the AI you can bring whatever you want to have a cool army because beating the AI isn't a big deal, however trolls are an exception. Their leadership is so low that they rout so quickly, especially if you play on higher difficulty levels where your units get a negative modifier to leadership.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

no reason to buy trolls as any faction, their leadership is such dogshit

Normally I would say that if you are playing vs the AI you can bring whatever you want to have a cool army because beating the AI isn't a big deal, however trolls are an exception. Their leadership is so low that rout so quickly, especially if you play on higher difficulty levels where your units get a negative modifier to leadership.

Thing is, on VH as dwarfs, trolls will just murder my melee if I'm sloppy and don't focus them with archers. So every time I play greenskins, I'll build trolls thinking "aha time to turn the tables." And then I'll learn no, without massive AI morale buffs, trolls are garbage.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like in the transfer from tabletop to Total War game leadership is wonky for low leadership units. I believe in tabletop you could suffer penalties for being flanked, but because units fought in regimented blocks it was impossible for a 1v1 fight to outflank each other. However in TW Warhammer if you 1v1 charge trolls into a 90 man infantry unit they become surrounded.

Trolls can smash dudes quite well (as the AI will show) provided they don't rout at the sound of a loud fart, however because they trample over normal infantry they manage to get themselves surrounded easily then freakout and route.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 30, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I've never had any issues using Trolls even on higher difficulties. Just keep them inside your leadership bubble and buffer them with other infantry so they don't get surrounded and Trolls will fight forever. Trolls are good, man.

Related, there was a cool tourney match last week where one guy won using a mostly Troll/Goblin force. Used the goblins to screen the Trolls charging downhill and routed a huge mass of Black Orcs with em.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

madmac posted:

I've never had any issues using Trolls even on higher difficulties. Just keep them inside your leadership bubble and buffer them with other infantry so they don't get surrounded and Trolls will fight forever. Trolls are good, man.

Related, there was a cool tourney match last week where one guy won using a mostly Troll/Goblin force. Used the goblins to screen the Trolls charging downhill and routed a huge mass of Black Orcs with em.

Got a link to the replay/youtube of that? Battles where units outside of the generally considered 'op' units are a lot of fun to watch.

With flanks secured (5) and lord aura(3) they still get a max of +8. They also somehow manage to get tired faster than infantry in combat which leads to an early -3.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Got a link to the replay/youtube of that? Battles where units outside of the generally considered 'op' units are a lot of fun to watch.

With flanks secured (5) and lord aura(3) they still get a max of +8. They also somehow manage to get tired faster than infantry in combat which leads to an early -3.

It was on some multi-hour twitch stream I happened to tune in to at that moment, so I'm afraid not.

You can definitely get more than +3 from your Lord if you've put points into leadership at all, especially with the active buffs. Or even just the Waaugh button from the Orc combat tree. Also I find Trolls take basically no damage in fights where they have infantry screening them on account of Regen, which likely extends their morale more than you'd expect.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Also generally when trolls route they come back after a few seconds, ready to charge into the fight again.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

unwantedplatypus posted:

Also generally when trolls route they come back after a few seconds, ready to charge into the fight again.

regenning while that happens is a nice thing

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Mind you, in the long run, Giants and the Arachnorock are both stronger than Trolls, obviously. Those are two of the best monsters in the game, of course they're a better option late game.

Trolls are comparatively really cheap and easy to get though, you can drop a basic troll cave for 5k in even a minor settlement anywhere and get some Trolls out while you're still using Boyz/Bigguns. Just 2-3 units of Trolls are a massive force multiplier at that stage of the game and will pretty much bash their way through anything if you baby them a little.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Trolls are really unreliable for sure but I've had them pull off some real ~clutch plays~ on a Hard campaign, both as flankers (their speed continues to surprise me) and as bodyguards to a Lord. You want to avoid getting them bogged down on their own or charged by anything decent for sure.

They're also pretty good (cheap) battering rams as even if they get focused on they'll just run away, regenerate and be ready to have another go in a few seconds. I kinda think their poo poo leadership works for them just as much as it works against them

VVV: yeah spawn are a lot better in combat all round as linebreakers, but I think they're slower and 'feel' a bit more squishy than trolls do

Frankly fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 30, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can make em work but they're pretty poo poo compared to similar units like Crypt Horrors and Chaos Spawn. Hell, Chaos have a straight up better version of trolls with much higher armor, and they still aren't worth using.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crypt Horrors just picked up a nerf, see how that goes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It was well deserved, they cost the same as Trolls and were a far better unit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I kind of like the trolls I've got in my siege stack. They go in through the front with my lord, which stiffens them nicely and they pack a lot of power into a few models while the spiders walk over/through enemies to push into the back liners on the ground. Not playing on hard though, so the modifier may make the difference, but they work great in that job.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Crypt Horrors just picked up a nerf, see how that goes.

It would have to be a hell of a nerf to make them as bad as trolls. Horrors are probably the single best unit on the VC roster and one of the best units in the game, period.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuaDRAml0w

Russians found the blood and gore trailer we'll probably get tomorrow.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

madmac posted:

:perfect:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

madmac posted:

Yes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hate that CA keeps giving me reasons to zoom in when I know drat well I should be commanding from an eye in the sky.

• Locked thread