Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Wanamingo posted:

Why are you going to bat so hard for such a garbage show?

I have a desire to be understood, and I feel like I'm not right now. The show itself is incidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Lady Naga posted:

Dude literally says "I came into this comedy show expecting thorough and persuasive takedowns, and the show failed to live up to this expectation. Somehow this is the show's fault, and not me".
See, I read that as the dude literally saying "I came into this comedy show expecting thorough and persuasive takedowns; the actual supposed-to-be-comedy format seems counterproductive and made me aware that my own attitude was equally counterproductive and unpleasant," and what you see as a failure for people to understand you, I see as a failure for you to understand others.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

InediblePenguin posted:

See, I read that as the dude literally saying "I came into this comedy show expecting thorough and persuasive takedowns; the actual supposed-to-be-comedy format seems counterproductive and made me aware that my own attitude was equally counterproductive and unpleasant," and what you see as a failure for people to understand you, I see as a failure for you to understand others.

The point is that if you're coming into a comedy show for thorough and persuasive takedowns that's your problem, not anyone else's.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

The point is that if you're coming into a comedy show for thorough and persuasive takedowns that's your problem, not anyone else's.

He heard that Penn and Teller were doing a show, hoped that it would be serious, and then was disappointed that it was a comedy. There's no need to jump on the guy for that.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Wanamingo posted:

He heard that Penn and Teller were doing a show, hoped that it would be serious, and then was disappointed that it was a comedy. There's no need to jump on the guy for that.

Naga's just a really argumentative person in general. You eventually learn to just let it happen and not take it personally.

Overall P&T just seem to have the same problem as every other privileged straight white dude with a center-left view of social issues: They've got a few good premises, but they're just not woke enough to actually get it right more than half the time, at best.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
A lot of the poo poo is bad and I haven't seen them in a few years but like; sometimes just having people rag on morons is cathartic. Natural treatment douchebags are literally profiting off of death and chiropractors are super dangerous and sometimes I don't want to engage with them in Real Serious Adult Debate I just want them to say stupid things and have someone say "gently caress this rear end in a top hat!"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That still just makes them a worse version of hbomberguy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Terrible Opinions posted:

That still just makes them a worse version of hbomberguy.

Nice I didn't know hbomberguy was making alt-right videos in 2010.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Penn is probably one of the key inspirations for the alt-right.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Nice I didn't know hbomberguy was making alt-right videos in 2010.
I was more meaning taking down easy targets but primarily being about comedy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I want to see Penn do a cannonball into a deep pool, I bet he'd deplace a ton of water.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was more meaning taking down easy targets but primarily being about comedy.

I get defensive about this specific sticking point because SA likes to get really holier than thou about how you're not allowed to make fun of morons and should instead always be polite and kind and engage them in reasonable debate otherwise you're Just As Bad. You're right though.

Lady Naga has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Jun 30, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Lady Naga posted:

I want to see Penn do a cannonball into a deep pool, I bet he'd deplace a ton of water.

I get defensive about this specific sticking point because SA likes to get really holier than thou about how you're not allowed to make fun of morons and should instead always be polite and kind and engage them in reasonable debate otherwise you're Just As Bad. You're right though.

When has SA ever actually done this. This entire thread is a thread wherein we mock right-wing idiots for having really lovely ideas, not debate their principles. We're on Safari rules here,friend. You can smell the poop, look at the poop, and listen to the poop, but you don't get to stick your face in it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

I never really interpreted it as trying to be a comedy show myself, and they made the point in the very first episode and several times after that that they wanted it to be Real Serious Business but they had to guise it somewhat to avoid lawsuits.

Lady Naga posted:

In Bullshit's case they literally called out other people for the lovely one-sided mocking that they themselves engaged in constantly. Like I know SA has a tendency to spiral into smug one-upping and hugboxing but putting that aside for a moment Bullshit was a dumb bad show with dumb bad people making dishonest points and deserves to be called out for it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do so many comedians and magicians become libertarian garbage? Is it rooted in the contempt for one's audience that must be an inevitable consequence of having a job based on entertaining people by outsmarting them? Like Penn thinks he's the ubermench because he can do a card trick that wows 'em every time? His inevitable stroke can't come soon enough.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I imagine it's the same as Justine Tunney and Moldbug looking down their noses at people because your average steel worker cant tell you what a fork bomb is.

I got broken out of it when my forester uncles asked me to break down the processes of putting together an environmental impact report when I got a little :techno: at Christmas dinner.

Razorwired has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Jun 30, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Penn and Teller are cheap imitators compared to gamesmasterjasper who is coincidentally also my favorite dark enlightenment thinker.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fututor Magnus posted:

Consequently after divabot / dgerard bringing up urbit's crowdsale on reddit, funny computer forum has taken up discussion of urbit.

Already Curtis and the urbit have made 220,000$ or so in the crowdsale selling to racist and libertarian nerds.

Coincidentally with my Tumblr post on Urbit doing the rounds again, they've dropped the entire site into robots.txt. I've updated the Tumblr post with links to archive.is copies. The 404 on the original is thoroughgoing Urbit.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do so many comedians and magicians become libertarian garbage? Is it rooted in the contempt for one's audience that must be an inevitable consequence of having a job based on entertaining people by outsmarting them? Like Penn thinks he's the ubermench because he can do a card trick that wows 'em every time? His inevitable stroke can't come soon enough.

To his credit, Penn frequently says stuff along the lines of "I'm just a dumbfuck juggler, not a real expert on anything", and is refreshingly humble about exactly what it means to be a master illusionist.

To his discredit, Penn loves to opine about things he isn't well informed about and then try to deflect the inevitable criticism with this self-deprecation, which starts to get old when he's been serially wrong about the same topic (eg global warming) so often.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

BobHoward posted:

To his credit, Penn frequently says stuff along the lines of "I'm just a dumbfuck juggler, not a real expert on anything", and is refreshingly humble about exactly what it means to be a master illusionist.

To his discredit, Penn loves to opine about things he isn't well informed about and then try to deflect the inevitable criticism with this self-deprecation, which starts to get old when he's been serially wrong about the same topic (eg global warming) so often.

That's been a favored tactic of the right for a long time.

1) State an obvious mistruth that favors the conservative narrative.

2) Get called out by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

3) Pull the ol' "Gosh, I'm just a simple hyperchicken from a backwoods asteroid" act, talk about how you don't go in for all that fancy book-learnin'.

4) Declare your wrong fact is actually an opinion, and that opinions are sacrosanct.

5) :smug: the gently caress out about how you'll just have to agree to disagree. Try desperately to come off as the better person, because you're certainly not going to try to change the other person's "opinion", so why are they trying to change your "opinion"?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

HPMOR is so bad that I legitimately can't even get through Let's Reads of it or whatever they're called.

I have no idea why people bother arguing over whether it's scientifically accurate, or really rational, when just on a basic page-to-page basis it's the worst thing ever

Yeah. It's legitimately unreadable. If you're going to write didactic crap at least get some Upton Sinclair in you, not Ayn Rand.

Jack of Hearts posted:

I think it's kinda fascinating, because someone has created a didactic philosophical "novel," with an actual fan base, worse that Atlas Shrugged itself.

That's interesting to think about but sure as hell is not interesting to read.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hermetic posted:

That's been a favored tactic of the right for a long time.

1) State an obvious mistruth that favors the conservative narrative.

2) Get called out by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

3) Pull the ol' "Gosh, I'm just a simple hyperchicken from a backwoods asteroid" act, talk about how you don't go in for all that fancy book-learnin'.

4) Declare your wrong fact is actually an opinion, and that opinions are sacrosanct.

5) :smug: the gently caress out about how you'll just have to agree to disagree. Try desperately to come off as the better person, because you're certainly not going to try to change the other person's "opinion", so why are they trying to change your "opinion"?

For example.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

"It's just a meme", jesus christ.

That variant almost needs its own name: The 4chan doublestep.

You create distance from your point by claiming it was a joke/oversimplification/meme/trolling, but then claim it's actually right, though.

"lol i'm just memeing chill bro (although they actually have some good points...)".

See: Every discussion of /pol/, Trump, r9k's hatred of women, "ironic" racism, "ironic" homophobia, "ironic" sexism, "trolling" using the reverse of feminist talking points, etc.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

divabot posted:

Coincidentally with my Tumblr post on Urbit doing the rounds again, they've dropped the entire site into robots.txt. I've updated the Tumblr post with links to archive.is copies. The 404 on the original is thoroughgoing Urbit.

I just spent about an hour on Wikipedia surfing to remind myself of the meaning of various comp sci terms I used to pass upper-level courses and then forgot, all to figure out the statement "urbit is intended as an attempt to construct a computational and network model that reflects its creator’s philosophy," and boy howdy does Moldbug take a tedious amount of time getting to the point! So sorry thread if this has already been gone into, but if any of yall are curious about why on Earth anyone number of people would buy up $200,000 worth of mystery items in a joke programming language OS internet client thing, the key is to note that there are a mathematically limited number of possible identifiers (i.e., if you're using a byte to identify users, there can only be 256 identified users), and then to treat this as if it were real estate.

quote:

Furthermore, there’s a clue here that the Bitcoin approach just isn’t getting. The limited subspace of short names, within the general space of 128-bit names, is essentially real estate. There is absolutely no reason, moral or practical, to give this real estate away for free to people whose only contribution is generating CO2 on their GPUs. Mining is not in any way a productive activity.

Rather, initially, this real estate belongs to Urbit itself. If Urbit has value, its real estate has value. If Urbit has no value, its so-called real estate is a bunch of worthless bits. Therefore, any value in the real estate can, should, and will be used to bootstrap the system from an economic perspective. Ie, it belongs to and will be captured by Urbit’s developers and/or early adopters. If you find this morally wrong, sorry. You’re probably some kind of a communist.

But because Urbit is a free republican society - not (ahem) a fascist corporate dictatorship like Google, Facebook or Twitter - a crucial aspect of launching or transferring a ship [i.e., their name for an identifier which is suspiciously similar to some freemen on the land/sovcit bullshit!] is that the decision is irreversible.

As the master of an Urbit ship, your informal title is cryptographic and allodial - no one, not the government and certainly not us, can challenge it. Unless the attacker can steal your secrets. In which case, of course, she might as well be you. That’s like Bitcoin too.

If Bitcoin is money, Urbit is land. (Floating land is still land, if there’s a limited amount of it.) You own both in the same way, by proving you can keep a secret. A Bitcoin is not useful for anything, except selling to a greater fool. (We’re just kidding - we’re huge Bitcoin fans.) But an Urbit ship is directly useful, so long as Urbit itself is useful.

You fill your Bitcoin wallet either by creating new coins, or buying old ones from Satoshi and his cronies. You build your Urbit fleet by buying ships from us and our cronies. (Don’t ask what we had to do to get them from the aliens. Those aliens are into a lot of strange poo poo, man.) Ships are transferable, but Urbit is not designed to be a digital currency. Transaction overhead is artificially high. Again, as in real estate.

PEOPLE ARE PAYING MONEY FOR (BASICALLY) IP ADDRESSES ON THIS BULLSHIT :psyduck:

GunnerJ has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jun 30, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like imagine if we treated license plates for cars like this. If there's more cars on the road than 6 alphanumerics can identify, instead of just making plates with 7 and treating the old plates as if they began with 0, if you wanted to buy a car you'd also have to buy a license plate from someone!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You just described the taxi medallion system.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, so Urbit is just Moldbug trying to get people to pay him for address space inn a system nobody in their right mind would use?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

You just described the taxi medallion system.

OK, but are these medallions classified in terms of a naval feudal order?

quote:

In Urbit’s naval terminology, ships above 64 bits are “submarines.” 64-bit ships are “yachts.” 32-bit, “destroyers.” 16-bit, “cruisers.” 8-bit, “carriers.” This also resembles a feudal hierarchy, so it comes with a feudal terminology. There are 256 imperial carriers, 65.280 royal cruisers, 4.294.901.760 rebel destroyers, uncounted scads of private yachts, and more or less infinitely many rogue submarines.

lmfao

(In seriousness, such a system for license plates could make sense if you wanted to limit the number of cars on the road as medallions limit taxis, although the angle in Urbit's case seems to be collecting e-rent.)

GunnerJ has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jun 30, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, so Urbit is just Moldbug trying to get people to pay him for address space inn a system nobody in their right mind would use?

Yep! Or maybe in more general terms it is a proof of concept for applying the beloved libertarian ideal of "finder's keepers" (formally known as "homesteading") to the Internet for some reason, because applying another beloved libertarian hobby horse, the gold standard, to an internet currency (down to the actual mining of limited quantities of virtual bullion) worked out great!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
He's rebuilding computing from first principles to suit his ideology, and the first principle of his ideology is that he should get paid for other people's work. He truly is a capitalist.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Actually looking it over, the whole thing seems to be an idea Lowtax came up with like 15 years ago or some poo poo:

quote:

What’s neat about short names is that there’s a finite number of them. This is not a bug, but a feature. Essentially, to borrow the thinking of political scientist James Scott, a finite space is governable. An infinite space is ungovernable.

If there are an infinite number of identities, there is no way for anyone to distinguish between a new user and a banned user. A reputation can be punished by destroying it, but anyone can start again at zero. A parasite whose only reason to use the network is to abuse it can keep coming back for more. An email spammer will never run out of addresses to spam from.

IPv4 is a limited space, which almost but doesn’t cure spam. The problem is that IPv4 addresses are neither personal nor property, so there is generally no easy way to punish a spammer as he deserves through IP blacklisting. He is very unlikely to be in any sense the owner of the IP address on his packets.

But if the email address and the IP address were the same thing, and the present fuzzy economic relationship between the user of an IP address were clear and simple, killing spam would become easy. You spam from a destroyer; you go on a list of spammers; no one will accept your unsolicited messages, ever.

You can get around this. You can buy a new destroyer. But the thing is - it costs you money. You’re not spamming for the fun of it. If a destroyer costs a mere $1, the spam you send from it needs to earn you $1.

This does not make it trivial for the forces of light to hunt you down and render you into processed meat clippings. But it sure as heck evens the game. Who will win? I guess we’ll see.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

GunnerJ posted:

the beloved libertarian ideal of "finder's keepers" (formally known as "homesteading")

That's "white finder's keepers."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

He's rebuilding computing from first principles to suit his ideology, and the first principle of his ideology is that he should get paid for other people's work. He truly is a capitalist.

I mean in fairness cooking this whole thing up was his work, right? I guess if you literally built the planet Earth you'd have something of a moral claim to deciding how its surface gets used. The thing is that unlike the planet Earth, Urbit seems mostly useful to people who agree with Moldbug as a way of, er, virtue-signaling I guess (?) their commitment to the ideology, in which case it seems pretty fair that they are all getting what they deserve (i.e., bullshit).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

eschaton posted:

That's "white finder's keepers."

You have to use what you find the right* way for it to count, I don't see a problem here. :colbert:

*white

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Your mistake is thinking 19th century settlers recognized Native Americans as people.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's more like solving a known problem with neoreactionary philosophy.

There's a lot of CS research in public distributed computing: you throw code onto the network and it's executed by anybody.

Of course, that opens you up to all kinds of trust and work-tracking issues - governance - which is a big part of what keeps this all theoretical. Most researchers try to come up with proof-of-work systems and some kind of distributed ledger of computational IOUs (a little like Bitcoin but backed by work instead of money laundering and drugs). These systems are devilishly difficult to get right in a lab, and nobody has yet managed to come up with anything besides theoretical models for components of this system that could stand up to public release.

Moldbug's grand idea is to forget the hard parts and replace them with feudalism. To get onto the system, you have to sign up under a king/carrier/galaxy and probably a lord/battleship/star. If you misbehave in a way they don't like, they will exile you from the system and take your digital poo poo. If they act unjustly, welp, divine right of Internet kings, motherfucker. If you're so smart, why don't you have your own principality?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I knew a guy who interned at Urbit. He came back with the unshakable belief that Urbit was doing something revolutionary and that it would be huge and that he was getting in on the ground floor, but he had no ability to explain what was revolutionary about it or what it could be used for.

When he tried, it came out weird and messy, like "it's a stateful system whose state is a function of a log of previous actions and previous states". Anyone familiar with this corner of information theory will recognize that as an unusually long-winded way to describe a simple state machine. He also emphasized that the contents of storage were a part of machine state, so they could be reconstructed from the log of previous actions. I contend that this has no value other than ensuring that you have a lot of trouble storing your unbelievably gigantic machine log anywhere (which, obviously, is why real computer systems do not do this).

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SolTerrasa posted:

I knew a guy who interned at Urbit. He came back with the unshakable belief that Urbit was doing something revolutionary and that it would be huge and that he was getting in on the ground floor, but he had no ability to explain what was revolutionary about it or what it could be used for.

Redpilled by Moldbug. Does he also believe that billions of people will eventually start using urbit just as they logon to Facebook?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

Redpilled by Moldbug. Does he also believe that billions of people will eventually start using urbit just as they logon to Facebook?

He thinks that the project will fail because its genius is just too revolutionary for our time. A hundred years from now someone will revive the long-dead project and perhaps in those times his genius will be respected etc etc etc we've heard this one before.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SolTerrasa posted:

He thinks that the project will fail because its genius is just too revolutionary for our time. A hundred years from now someone will revive the long-dead project and perhaps in those times his genius will be respected etc etc etc we've heard this one before.

That view is quite more realistic than Curtis's own. According to the whitepaper, urbit is designed to run on a datacenter for log storage, but apparently will be viable on standard consumer hardware given SSDs or NVDIMM and still have low-latency cloud-logging for "uniform persistence".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Isn't the Bitcoin blockchain now so bloated and huge that it's becoming a problem? Is his answer seriously just to throw more storage at it?