Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm still catching up on the thread so apologies if this has already been asked, but does Growth do anything other than generate growth surplus points? Does it somehow factor into taxation?

I'd also like to crank the graphics up if possible (I'm auto detected to the default "High" settings and get a smooth frame rate, probably in the steady 30-40 range). For those of you running on Ultra or whatever has the most bells and whistles, what GPU are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

boho posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread so apologies if this has already been asked, but does Growth do anything other than generate growth surplus points? Does it somehow factor into taxation?

I'd also like to crank the graphics up if possible (I'm auto detected to the default "High" settings and get a smooth frame rate, probably in the steady 30-40 range). For those of you running on Ultra or whatever has the most bells and whistles, what GPU are you using?

Growth does nothing but allow you to tier up your buildings. There's zero downside to tiering up though, so it's generally seen as a good thing except by some people who view the gold spent as a waste. I'm on the other end of the fence and prefer the higher income at the expense of initial costs since it lets me pay less attention to my overall finances turn by turn.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 30, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

boho posted:

You can get away with majority ultra settings with something like a 970 provided your CPU is beefy (i7 or overclocked i5). If you are looking to upgrade some components, post your whole pc specs so we can give the best suggestions.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

boho posted:

This is one game where the RX480 does especially well and should do even better with DX12, I'd wait for aftermarket coolers on them though, main thing is that it's a $200 card. I'm running a slightly slower R9 290 with either high or ultra on a 3440x1440 screen and getting framerates usually in the 40s or so.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
To the guys that are making mods - can you make something to change how far that AI armies can move after sacking a settlement? They can "force march" and end up moving as far / farther AFTER sacking a settlement than a player-controlled army can move in a "normal" move. Yes, the player can in some cases move short distances by toggling force march after sacking, but no way as far as the AI can. It turns protecting your settlements without walls into a tiresome whack a mole game and is easily the most annoying thing about the mid to late game other than highly levelled chaos agents that are near loving immune to assassination. Is there any easy fix to the issue?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Such mods that tackle the movement after sackinf already exist on the workshop. I've seen it bur didn't subscribe myself.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oouuh that video just turned private!
I Juuuuust had time to see it, goddamned its nice!

Edit: Found another link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hw1Zf_S0BE

Not sure how long it'll last either!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 30, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gejnor posted:

gently caress yeah it is :eyepop:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
That looks great, hope we get it soon

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I love the part where a fanatic spins through an enemy unit, dealing about 1 damage to each soldier, and fountains of blood erupt everywhere.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
It looks like the meta has finally caught up and there's finally a viable dwarf strategy for online battles.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can you opt into a beta patch or got to wait for the patch to come out?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can you opt into a beta patch or got to wait for the patch to come out?

It comes out in like an hour and a half man, just wait.

Also some extra dev notes on general balancing not in the patch notes:

quote:

In addition to the unit specific changes, there have been some broader changes too, which I've included below.
This is just the first step of course and we know there will be more to do. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Kind regards, Ato

General Changes

Fatigue tweaks to prolong combat, reduce penalty for missile fire.
Minor Melee Defence increase for many units to prolong combat.
Lower experience thresholds to speed up XP gain of units in campaign.
Minor reduction in speed of heavy infantry (some exclusions, e.g. Chaos Infantry).
Minor increase in heavy cavalry mass to improve pulling out of melee.
Minor acceleration increase for all chariots to improve pulling out of melee.
Stronger impact forces on Cannons.
Flying units turn speeds increased.
Splash attack forces tweaked.

madmac fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gejnor posted:

It's gone. :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Korgan posted:

It's gone. :v:

Got another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKqegE8_02k

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Necroskowitz posted:

It looks like the meta has finally caught up and there's finally a viable dwarf strategy for online battles.

That was dorfy as gently caress. :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dwarfs have serious throwing arms.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Necroskowitz posted:

All this video needs is a giant choral rendition of 'Ode to Joy' while the blasting charges go off everywhere.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dude that giant biting the soldiers head off was awesome. They mean Blood for the Blood God!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

You the real mvp

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Blood DLC is now up for purchase on Steam

Also the officially uploaded trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxvqLYxTDo

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

$3 for those who don't feel like checking.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patch is live too.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
http://store.steampowered.com/app/404011/

quote:

Zombies, skeletons and Grave Guard may continue to fight after dismemberment!

Okay, that's a great touch actually.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

boho posted:

As Mazz said, growth is only for surplus. But this does matter, particularly for Dwarves as they apparently get slower growth then other factions.

Upgrading your settlements and capital is important. It unlocks more building slots, but in particular it also upgrades the garrison. A level 3 settlement with level 2 gatehouse (walls) provides a significant number of guys upkeep free. This protects against rebellion armies.

Once your province is pretty much maxes out you can demolish the growth buildings in favor of economic out military ones.

Oh yeah, one more thing; any settlement that can get animal pens will offer more growth per tier then your factions standard growth building, do its generally a better deal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Blood DLC is such bullshit and shouldn't be paid for yet I've bought every single one of them and have instantly bought this one.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I've heard it's to keep the base game at a T rating (in the US/ESRB, I dunno what PEGI poo poo the UK does), which sounds plausible at least.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

madmac posted:

Also the officially uploaded trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxvqLYxTDo

That VA, Regis is that you ?

I really feel like modding B&W music into the game for Bretonnia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt5Mxm7BPhM

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

rockopete posted:

I've heard it's to keep the base game at a T rating (in the US/ESRB, I dunno what PEGI poo poo the UK does), which sounds plausible at least.

They could just release it as free DLC at release though? I know it's stupid to complain about £2 but I always feel like it's such a basic feature which should just come with the game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So Blood Knights are slightly weaker than Reiksguard, as a point of reference but they're armored and shielded, anti large, and have frenzy which means they do more damage when leadership is high.

actually, they might not be weaker. less armor but more damage and a WAY stronger charge (72)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Panfilo posted:

As Mazz said, growth is only for surplus. But this does matter, particularly for Dwarves as they apparently get slower growth then other factions.

Upgrading your settlements and capital is important. It unlocks more building slots, but in particular it also upgrades the garrison. A level 3 settlement with level 2 gatehouse (walls) provides a significant number of guys upkeep free. This protects against rebellion armies.

Once your province is pretty much maxes out you can demolish the growth buildings in favor of economic out military ones.

Oh yeah, one more thing; any settlement that can get animal pens will offer more growth per tier then your factions standard growth building, do its generally a better deal.

Don't higher tier growth buildings also increase replenishment? I'd consider keeping them in border regions so your armies get back up to fighting strength quicker.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

They could just release it as free DLC at release though? I know it's stupid to complain about £2 but I always feel like it's such a basic feature which should just come with the game.

Free might mean it still affects the rating? That's all I can think of.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Most of the time the growth buildings also increase casualty replenishment in the province as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So Blood Knights are slightly weaker than Reiksguard, as a point of reference but they're armored and shielded, anti large, and have frenzy which means they do more damage when leadership is high.

You also have to tech up super high to get them.

Meh, last thing Vamps needed was Shock Cav when they already have a bunch of great monsters. I feel like Varghulf and Terrorgeists already fill the role Blood Knights could fill and they're way easier to get out and interact better with things like Nehek.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Necroskowitz posted:

It's not a very viable strat. His opponent took 2 hellstorms and loads of non-AP spears against dwarves for christ sake. It's actually shockingly easy for a more standard dwarf counter list to beat that one, though I wouldn't say more standard build dwarves can't win matches either.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

rockopete posted:

Free might mean it still affects the rating? That's all I can think of.

Yeah the logic as far as I see is that as long as you need a credit card to get this DLC, the parent is a "part" of the process and got to see that they bought an M-Rated game for their kid. You can't blame stolen credit cards on Creative Assembly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

actually, they might not be weaker. less armor but more damage and a WAY stronger charge (72)

I wonder how good they would work as a roving anti-large counter, something to deal with stuff like Demigriff knights for example. High damage, high charge bonus, anti-large and frenzy sounds delightful if presented with a bogged down unit of Demigriffs.

Zore posted:

Meh, last thing Vamps needed was Shock Cav when they already have a bunch of great monsters. I feel like Varghulf and Terrorgeists already fill the role Blood Knights could fill and they're way easier to get out and interact better with things like Nehek.

It's a building you'd be constructing anyway for vampire heros, though. Also Terrorgeists are more of a tank than a damage dealer. They just don't kill very fast at all in my experience.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 30, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The more I see and hear about multiplayer, the happier I am they put zero effort into that poo poo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jfood posted:

The more I see and hear about multiplayer, the happier I am they put zero effort into that poo poo.

If they put a tiny amount of effort in to it you can avoid most of the really bad cheese but they don't.

The blood patch is awful by the way. The animations are cool but units instantly get 100% stained in huge amounts of blood for the entire fight and it's incredibly bad looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zore posted:

Part of the advantage of Blood Knights compared to Black Knights is that they didn't crumble (because they're vampires, and not reanimated by the wizard leading the army). Having a unit that actually retreats would be amazing compared to your Terrorgheist spontaneously combusting as soon as it's surrounded.

• Locked thread