Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Demicol posted:

Out of 4 matches I've played one had a really nice team where we all were discussing things and suggesting changes in strategy and one had 2 people who just wouldn't shut up how bad others were and they should uninstall, calling for the other team to report a player for being bad at the end of the match. The rest were pretty normal.
According to the other guy you shouldn't pick Mei on offense for some reason, don't know if there's any legitimacy to that.

unless you're a mei savant you're probably better served with one of the other offensive heroes, yes. mei isn't particularly grand for offense, im not really sure why someone would think otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm already pretty bored with seeing Zarya + Roadhog in competitive mode every game

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Today I sat down to play a Comp round! We get Defend: Dorado, a map I know well! I pick Bastion, I'm good at Bastion, I have a skin, it's a defense map... Slam dunk right? (We had Rein, Symettra, Lucio, Torb and Dva)...

So I get Merced in the backfield by tracer and my team throws as hot fit, losing the match while typing. For round 2, we get Attack and I pick Genji... And everyone on my team tells me to stop trolling, then drops from the game.

I just got a loss for a 1v6 and I seriously cannot figure out what I did, I've been playing since open beta, I get the game, I do cool stuff and follow teamwork... My only conclusion is my relatively low player level just gives jerks something to snip about, because I honestly couldn't think of another reason

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

This is a weird hypothetical, since if a Mei isn't holding the point by being on it, then she's holding the point by killing people. I don't know if there are any KotH maps where a Mei can contribute substantially to holding the point while doing neither of those things.

Medals certainly aren't everything, since the game's not deathmatch. And there are of course situational contributions that can swing games without showing up in stats. But if none of your efforts show up in any of the numbers, then the victory was probably not single-handedly caused by you.

Adding subjective tweaks to how the mmr is calculated means that if you're wrong about what leads to a team winning, then you'll skew the results. Maybe if they weight damage done too much, a player might go higher in rank than they would if it was pure wins, and it's just because they always shoot the Reinhardt instead of other people and they lose more often than if they played smarter, but the subjective extra points overcomes that. It could mean that things that don't result in a higher win percentage is actually incentivized by the system.

If they got it right, it'd be fine. Because of all the variables it's so insanely complicated that the chances they got it right are probably very small.

It's probably not going to make TOO much of a difference in the long run but it's a reasonable criticism.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

nah it's solely for peeking and zen is the dumbest loving person to peek with in the game

It's not for zen peaking, it's for when you have a sonic arrow or widow ult giving you vision and you charge it for the enemy about to peak a corner.

i.e. it's useful for about 0.1% of situations

~meibe you could also use it to peak a bastion in a desperate situation but lol

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm already pretty bored with seeing Zarya + Roadhog in competitive mode every game

Reaper or Soldier 76 can kill either of them easily, Reinhardt also pretty much guts Zarya's effectiveness

Bolow fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 30, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Did my placement matches, won 6/10 and got a ranking of 49. Is that awful? It feels awful.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bolow posted:

Reaper or Soldier 76 can kill either of them easily, Reinhardt also pretty much guts Zarya's effectiveness

I think Zarya with any other tank is an ameizing combo because it greatly extends both their lives, especially when encountering other Roadhogs/Reinhardt's because you can negate their abilities when they try to hook/charge you or the other tank.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, I came so close to perfection :(

Now to go on some horrible 20 game losing streak.

This is the opposite of mine right now. I wonder if solo queue is worse. It felt like we were getting placed against premade groups who coordinate. Absolute stomps. At least the super long matches (playing all 5 rounds on KotH, which happened on Nepal) gives a whole lot of exp.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Question: can you do your placement matches while grouped with people who've already done them? I'm on vacation with bad wifi until tomorrow night, so I missed the big rush when competitive went live.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Verranicus posted:

Did my placement matches, won 6/10 and got a ranking of 49. Is that awful? It feels awful.

Congrats, much like your penis you are incredibly average.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Verranicus posted:

It is literally average.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ragequit posted:

This is the opposite of mine right now. I wonder if solo queue is worse. It felt like we were getting placed against premade groups who coordinate. Absolute stomps. At least the super long matches (playing all 5 rounds on KotH, which happened on Nepal) gives a whole lot of exp.

Doubtful, given I played all 10 solo. It shouldn't put you against premades unless you let your matchmaking search go super long. Don't do that.

Verranicus posted:

People are saying 50 is the average but I find that hard to believe. I'm at 67 and I'm hardly amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Internet Kraken posted:

People are saying 50 is the average but I find that hard to believe. I'm at 67 and I'm hardly amazing.

The Master Overwatch leaderboard has a bell curve graph that shows the distribution of skill rating among a chunk of players: http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us The majority of players being at 50 skill rating, so I'd say that's a good baseline number.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

7-3 placed 57, im happy with that.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Soloed the entire placement and went 3-7 due to two random disconnects when my Internet was otherwise working, and a general barrage of terrible teams. Maybe it's because I've been playing with goons otherwise.

But yeah, I was quite salty at my rank 40 placement, but then I proceeded to completely wreck two games so I'm okay with it now. Placement matches need some work though, drat.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

GreyPowerVan posted:

7-3 placed 57, im happy with that.

7-3 placed 56, same

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That new score screen Blizzard added to KOTH in quick play is not only pointless but also really buggy.

I got POTG as Dva. This play was me trying to cap the point and not making it in time, and then throwing out my ult after the round ended. The ult blew up and killed their whole team since they obviously couldn't dodge it in slow motion. I also get her ult achievement by doing this! And when it played as POTG at the end of the match, it was just a glitchy black screen that didn't show anything. I really wish I had a recording setup so I could share it.

:thumbsup:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

That new score screen Blizzard added to KOTH in quick play is not only pointless but also really buggy.

I got POTG as Dva. This play was me trying to cap the point and not making it in time, and then throwing out my ult after the round ended. The ult blew up and killed their whole team since they obviously couldn't dodge it in slow motion. I also get her ult achievement by doing this! And when it played as POTG at the end of the match, it was just a glitchy black screen that didn't show anything. I really wish I had a recording setup so I could share it.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, the play of the match in my last placement was a mercy resurrecting a single person and then healing someone else for ~100 hp

EDIT: Also in that game - a 5-kill death blossom

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah, the play of the match in my last placement was a mercy resurrecting a single person and then healing someone else for ~100 hp

EDIT: Also in that game - a 5-kill death blossom

Was the healing done on or near a contested objective?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mercy POTG are almost always terrible cause its usually just her pressing Q and then blowing up a second later.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
I feel a little bit bad when I kill an enemy healer 8 times in one game because their team kept letting me flank.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks for coming whole other team :smug:

https://gfycat.com/InbornElasticBichonfrise

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Roadhog's hook is driving me crazy and I swear lately it's been acting erratically more and more often. There were always problems with hooking small characters and having them land besides/behind you, but it's happening more often lately. And I just had an incident where I hooked a Reaper and he actually moved backwards about one full step.

I play almost always with 25 ping.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Everyone keeps saying that Hanzo is awful garbage and such. But I see so many Hanzos getting POTG not even from his ult but just from firing off arrows rapid-fire while bunnyhopping and taking out 3-4 people at a time. Then there's the Hanzos that just murder half my team by spamming down a long stretch of the payload, or unload into chokepoints and kill two people during a rush.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Brannock posted:

Roadhog's hook is driving me crazy and I swear lately it's been acting erratically more and more often. There were always problems with hooking small characters and having them land besides/behind you, but it's happening more often lately. And I just had an incident where I hooked a Reaper and he actually moved backwards about one full step.

It's hard for me to feel bad for a Roadhog after getting hooked around corners more times than I can count, sorry.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Who is harder to play, and has a higher skill ceiling... Genji or Hanzo?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Who is harder to play, and has a higher skill ceiling... Genji or Hanzo?

Genji by far. Genji's skill ceiling might as well not exist, and a poor Genji is actually worse than an empty slot on your team.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

Genji by far. Genji's skill ceiling might as well not exist, and a poor Genji is actually worse than an empty slot on your team.

Would you say Hanzo has a low skill ceiling in comparison? Just wondering, because I was watching a few OW competitive streams last night, and one of them was adamant that Hanzo, even with his giant hitboxes, is a hard character to be good with and has a high skill ceiling. Khy's post just reminded me of that comment the streamer made.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

teagone posted:

Would you say Hanzo has a low skill ceiling in comparison? Just wondering, because I was watching a few OW competitive streams last night, and one of them was adamant that Hanzo, even with his giant hitboxes, is a hard character to be good with and has a high skill ceiling. Khy's post just reminded me of that comment the streamer made.

It's not hard to get pickoffs as Hanzo. It is hard to get pickoffs reliably as Hanzo. Hanzo is really good if you are a Hanzo savant and they don't have a tank. He's very mediocre otherwise due to his feast-or-famine arrow hitting nature.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Brannock posted:

I love pulling lucios where they should end up falling to their death and instead they end up behind me and they push my fat rear end is off the stage instead.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Was the healing done on or near a contested objective?

No.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Hanzo has a pretty high skill ceiling, yes, but like, the payoff for hitting that ceiling is you get to play a character that's very niche at best who has very limited ability to pressure tanks and moblity that doesn't really help him escape.

Like replace hanzo's arrows with pharah rockets and now wonder why you're not just playing pharah :iiam:. The scouting arrow can be useful but you have to have line of sight to a spot near where you want to scout.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 30, 2016

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
Went 7-3 in placements, ended up at 50. Somehow my friend who was playing with me went 6-4 and ended up 53 -- we played 8/10 placement matches together. Does your quickplay MMR factor into this at all? having trouble believing that those 2 games would swing things that much

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Got called an hacker for the first time today as 76, in competitive no less. Gotta love this game's audio design.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fortocero posted:

Went 7-3 in placements, ended up at 50. Somehow my friend who was playing with me went 6-4 and ended up 53 -- we played 8/10 placement matches together. Does your quickplay MMR factor into this at all? having trouble believing that those 2 games would swing things that much

In-game performance during your placement matches is probably weighed into your skill rating somehow.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, I came so close to perfection :(

Now to go on some horrible 20 game losing streak.

My first game, we were on KOTH and somebody on the other team ragequit immediately when we capped and it forced the game to end. The game after that, we barely lost and then my remaining 9 games were all wins. Every day I wonder what would've happened if it was not for that ragequit.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So how the gently caress does the ranking system even work. I got 7-3 in placements, and it put me to rank 54.

Now when I win a game, the meter inches forward like the width of my thumb. I lose a game, and it chunks half of my current rank. Does it really expect you to win and win and win to get rankups, without losses at all? Because gently caress that in solo queue at least. I've been in back to back games now, where my teammates are fighting over who can permalock Genji, and so far both games ended in double Genji, and total losses. Now I'm rank 52, and it hardly feels like my fault. :(

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Attestant posted:

So how the gently caress does the ranking system even work. I got 7-3 in placements, and it put me to rank 54.

Now when I win a game, the meter inches forward like the width of my thumb. I lose a game, and it chunks half of my current rank. Does it really expect you to win and win and win to get rankups, without losses at all? Because gently caress that in solo queue at least. I've been in back to back games now, where my teammates are fighting over who can permalock Genji, and so far both games ended in double Genji, and total losses. Now I'm rank 52, and it hardly feels like my fault. :(

I feel like ranked doesn't weight win/loss as much as people think. It's really about how well you do compared to other players and how well you did in the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I feel like ranked doesn't weight win/loss as much as people think. It's really about how well you do compared to other players and how well you did in the match.

Then I guess it's kinda punishing to play supports? I've been Lucio almost exclusively, with gold heals and gold objective times pretty much every match. Guess I should just give up and go for sicknasty KDR with Widowmaker?