Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That woman's skirt makes her look like a Dalek.

gently caress now I can't unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

That woman's skirt makes her look like a Dalek.

gently caress now I can't unsee it.

OhMyGod I was thinking the exact same thing!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yesss, thank you

Zikan posted:

freecouncil.jpg

it's in legacies of the sublime in the transhuman engineers section btw

should've known

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zikan posted:

freecouncil.jpg

it's in legacies of the sublime in the transhuman engineers section btw

What a loving terrible picture.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

much like the free council

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every time it's posted the woman's face kills me. If it was the American south "Bless your heart" would be the next words out of her mouth.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Zikan posted:

much like the free council

Second edition Free Councillors are actually pretty good.

Mostly because they would be more interested in the people on the left, not the first edition Free Councillor dude on the right.

The guy with the dotted vest and sandals thinks this Best Buy missionary is hilarious. This is the funniest thing he's heard all year.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well I don't think you're supposed to think that the salesman is in the right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well I don't think you're supposed to think that the salesman is in the right.

They're all laughing cause they already have better computers.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
First edition Free Council is my problematic fave, it's all just so deeply weird and out of place. I like how their order book had the explicit design goal of being player-friendly and consciously unlike the template of all the other order books, except those other books were all really useful and well-designed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kellsterik posted:

First edition Free Council is my problematic fave, it's all just so deeply weird and out of place. I like how their order book had the explicit design goal of being player-friendly and consciously unlike the template of all the other order books, except those other books were all really useful and well-designed.

The problem with this is that the other Order books were really good, player-friendly and well-written.

And the Free Council one sucked and never took more than the most surface, cursory read of them.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
In a way it does fit that the Free Council's the odd book out from the ones about the Diamond Orders.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, in principle I like the approach they took, but now I'm running a game where the Assembly is front and center and I'm finding a lot less useful material in the FC book than say, Sanctum and Sigil had about Consilium. I wish the section on Lorehouses had the same depth as Mysterium has about statting up Athenaea. The urban greenhouses where they grow vegetable-grimoires are cool though.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Daeren posted:

Every time it's posted the woman's face kills me. If it was the American south "Bless your heart" would be the next words out of her mouth.

I dunno, her face reads as 'lol this loving guy' to me.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That's what "Bless your heart" means in the American South.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I dunno, her face reads as 'lol this loving guy' to me.

It's basically the same thing. It's the "polite" Southern way of calling someone an idiot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Daeren posted:

"Bless your heart, honey. We actually all have alienware laptops here. Our starcraft team is going to South Korea this year for the championship. But, thanks, for trying."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can't convince me that's anything but a New Yorker caption contest

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kavak posted:

It's basically the same thing. It's the "polite" Southern way of calling someone an idiot.

poo poo, I had no idea that's what people were saying to me. gently caress.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can't convince me that's anything but a New Yorker caption contest

"Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Daeren posted:

Trying to catalogue the genealogy of every single vampire mentioned in Masquerade material, back to Caine.

Loomer is quite insane, you see.

Didn't they already do that here?
http://vampirerpg.free.fr/Genealogy/

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

nofather posted:

Didn't they already do that here?
http://vampirerpg.free.fr/Genealogy/

Hoping against hope that Loomer has never seen this page before now

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
Last I saw, Loomer's numbers where A LOT higher, plus he's tracking other critters

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kellsterik posted:

Hoping against hope that Loomer has never seen this page before now

Sorry to disappoint, but it was in large part dissatisfaction with that site that lead me to my current madness.

As for the site, it's a good starting point but my figures were (at the last full count, for the years 1991 - 2002) significantly higher. That site has 2615 vampires, all unique. My numbers at present include duplicates and unnamed vampires, but even if we're harsh and say that only 1/3rd of the entries are unique and named (from recollection, it's closer to 3/5ths or 2/3rds), they should include 4300 unique vampires. There's another 21,678 entries for the other lines, and all combined there's a total of 35343 entries, with an additional timeline that has some 4,700 entries over 128 pages.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
From the White Wolf Facebook page:

LUCKYDAY AND WHITE WOLF, CREATORS OF VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE, COLLABORATE TO PRODUCE THE ULTIMATE WORLD OF DARKNESS FEATURE-LENGTH DOCUMENTARY SERIES

Production has Already Started in Stockholm

STOCKHOLM - June 30, 2016 - Luckyday and White Wolf today announced the production of a 2-part documentary series on the history and evolution of one of the most prolific and genre defining Role-Playing franchises in history – The World of Darkness.

The documentary features in-depth interviews and exclusive footage from the early White Wolf founders, creators and artists, as well as fans and notable stars who helped shape the fabric of the genre.

The documentary series will give the audience an in-depth, behind the scenes and uncompromising look into how the World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade created a phenomenon in the middle of the 1990's -- a zeitgeist that helped shape and define film, literature, fashion, club culture, and ultimately fans, whose lives it forever altered.

"The tumultuous history of the World of Darkness, Vampire: The Masquerade, & White Wolf is something akin to a rock n' roll soap opera mashed together with a Shakespearean tragedy. It's more than just a story about a game or a company, but also the fans and how this thing helped shape and affect their lives. This is really their story and we believe that needs to be told," said White Wolf CEO Tobias Sjogren.

"This is where the real story gets told: nothing is sacred, no one gets a pass, and all skeletons come out of the closet," said Luckyday CEO Henrik Johansson.

Exclusive interviews will include, among others, White Wolf founders Mark Rein-Hagen & Stewart Wieck, as well as Vampire: The Masquerade developers and artists such as Justin Achilli, Andrew Greenburg, and Tim Bradstreet. Also featured will be exclusive interviews from a multitude of talent, fans and fan clubs, all of whom helped evolve the franchise into a worldwide phenomenon that continues to this day.

The movie will be written and produced by Kevin Lee from Luckyday in Sweden and directed by English director Giles Alderson.

About Luckyday
Luckyday is a Creative Film Producer based in Stockholm, Malmö and London. For more information on Luckyday, please visit http://www.luckyday.se/

About White Wolf
For more information about White Wolf Publishing, please visit http://www.white-wolf.com

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My friends and I were talking about that earlier, and it seems like they're only focusing on Masquerade and Masquerade writers. Seems kind of dismissive for something that's supposed to cover the entirety of White Wolf's development and lifecycle.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 30, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kurieg posted:

My friends and I were talking about that earlier, and it seems like they're only focusing on Masquerade and Masquerade writers. Seems kind of dismissive for something that's supposed to cover the entirety of White Wolf's development and lifecycle.

Welcome to the Paradox Era.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I've accepted that they've shafted nWoD, but it's kind of worrisome that nothing else in the oWoD is getting any attention.

On second thought, forgetting about Wraith is a good tradeoff for burying Apocalypse, Ascension, Dreaming, etc. so I'm okay with this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kavak posted:

I've accepted that they've shafted nWoD, but it's kind of worrisome that nothing else in the oWoD is getting any attention.

On second thought, forgetting about Wraith is a good tradeoff for burying Apocalypse, Ascension, Dreaming, etc. so I'm okay with this

Yeah, but Hunter and Demon and Orpheus were also good so you're trading four for three and that looks like a loser's bargain to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They weren't as good as the others were bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

But really, they could totally hype up the Wraith curse when talking about it and make it super spooky.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure 'shafted' is the word to go with, from what we've seen from them I don't actually want Paradox to pay more than cursory attention to nWoD.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
but about about a changeling the lost slot machine app for your iphones?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kavak posted:

What were the issues with Apocalypse? I've a few friends who swear by it but I'm not terribly familiar with any of the incarnations of Werewolf myself. (I seem to recall that narratively Ascension was some combination of reductionist/exploitative/misunderstanding '90s counterculture, while Dreaming was a fair bit of neo-Luddite Peter Panism.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Werewolf 1st ed was written by Bridges before he mellowed out a bit, so it's even more TECHNOLOGY BAD! SCIENCE BAD! MEDICINE BAD! ABORIGINAL CULTURES GOOD! than Mage ever was. It got better in revised but short of a complete retcon Skemp could never get rid of the racist stereotype tribes.

It's still my favorite game mostly because I do my best to ignore any book printed before 1999.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apocalypse is full-bore, balls-deep into a lot of Magical Native racism and a lot of deeply uncomfortable stereotyping, but that's par for the course for oWoD. It is also aggressively anti-technology, anti-science and so on, but that's kind of baked into the setting conceit. (As is the fact that werewolves are violent, territorial authoritarians.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

Apocalypse is full-bore, balls-deep into a lot of Magical Native racism and a lot of deeply uncomfortable stereotyping, but that's par for the course for oWoD. It is also aggressively anti-technology, anti-science and so on, but that's kind of baked into the setting conceit. (As is the fact that werewolves are violent, territorial authoritarians.)

Well, except for the pro-technology, pro-science werewolves, but it wouldn't be the oWoD if it didn't have a case of violently dissociative identity.

(It doesn't really help that in a lot of places it's hard to tell where the Garou are being written as violent, territorial authoritarians because it creates drama for them to be self-defeating and controlled by their Rage, and where they're being written as violent, territorial authoritarians because the author would be perfectly down with destroying all baby formula by force.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's also a fairly strong undercurrent of "the only way we get anything done is when we put aside our violent authoritarian streak and work together." As evidenced by King Albrecht and what Koinetzko does once he's put in power.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kurieg posted:

If you don't think the current owners aren't going to be featured heavily as "saviors" of the old ways, I have a shelf of used books to sell you at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gerund posted:

If you don't think the current owners aren't going to be featured heavily as "saviors" of the old ways, I have a shelf of used books to sell you at face value.

What, no out-of-print markup?